As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Deepfakes

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Deepfakes

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    I'm not hip enough to know if the guy in the right panel is supposed to be a particular personality, but he is a perfect caricature.

• Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I'd watch that show.

ironhead on
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I'm intrigued by the idea of locking some influencers in a vault. Any connection to the outside world isn't needed though. ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This may be best comic title in recent memory.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

"Tik Tok Toe" from a few days ago could also have applied here.

Diplominator on
  • Options
    AbstractAbstract Registered User new member
    I feel like one of the vaults in New Vegas was something like this.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I can't wait to watch this.

Must have been a real pain finding that many tikstagramers all named Gary though.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm not hip enough to know if the guy in the right panel is supposed to be a particular personality, but he is a perfect caricature.

He's pretty much an amalgamation of what the vast majority of influencers and youtubes tend to look like. Coloured hair, stylish stubble, and faces you just want to punch.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    This strip needs more helmet.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

I was compelled to log in for the first time in... a long time? just to express my appreciation for the title.

sig.png
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    This strip needs more helmet.

I wonder if the helmet would work as a mask substitute. Because he should of course be wearing one or the other while standing in what I assume is some isolated section of wilderness. Those cell phone signals might be having trouble reaching him, but the corona is everywhere!

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    He kinda reminds me of this dude
    q0rr9i-ZsZJGyaJ.jpg

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Seams like the easiest way to film a tv show or movie would be to quarantine the film crew for 2 weeks then crank out the work. Have one person who handles the food and do it like a dead drop. They go into a room put the food into the fridge. Leave. Then UV light kills everything in the room.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    And film the quarantine period, and then make back the extra costs by selling the footage to Bravo

Every show suddenly has its own Making Of / Real World sister show

The Real Key Grips of Orange is the New Black

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    zepherin wrote: »
    Seams like the easiest way to film a tv show or movie would be to quarantine the film crew for 2 weeks then crank out the work. Have one person who handles the food and do it like a dead drop. They go into a room put the food into the fridge. Leave. Then UV light kills everything in the room.

I think you overestimate the ability of the average actor to follow a set of rules, no matter how important.

One of them would slip out to a bar and plague the entire production.

Okay, actually, that probably unrealistic. More like TWELVE of them would slip out to a bar...

dennis on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

I think you overestimate the ability of the average actor to follow a set of rules, no matter how important.

One of them would slip out to a bar and plague the entire production.

Okay, actually, that probably unrealistic. More like TWELVE of them would slip out to a bar...

Yeah, you'd have to set the shoot location in the middle of fucken nowhere. York, North Dakota here we come.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Or after feeding and housing your actor for months in a London apartment, yoi decide to film on a soundstage:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/batman-movie-filming-delay-resume-no-locations-reason/amp/

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Or after feeding and housing your actor for months in a London apartment, yoi decide to film on a soundstage:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/batman-movie-filming-delay-resume-no-locations-reason/amp/
    By controlling their locations, the cast and crew of The Batman can prevent any potential exposure to the virus that could have come from being out in a public space.

I wonder how much of this will involve moving indoors what would have been shot outdoors. Interesting, considering how much more problematic indoors is for disease spread.

Also, they're making a whole lot of movies for a market that has little to no open movie theaters. I know things will open back up eventually and these productions take time, but... I don't know. Just seems odd. Feels like they probably already have a bunch of content on the shelf to fill that gap when it opens back up.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    By controlling their locations, the cast and crew of The Batman can prevent any potential exposure to the virus that could have come from being out in a public space.

I wonder how much of this will involve moving indoors what would have been shot outdoors. Interesting, considering how much more problematic indoors is for disease spread.

Also, they're making a whole lot of movies for a market that has little to no open movie theaters. I know things will open back up eventually and these productions take time, but... I don't know. Just seems odd. Feels like they probably already have a bunch of content on the shelf to fill that gap when it opens back up.

Some of it probably has to do with being contractually obligated to put out a movie for an IP every x number of years or else it reverts back to the original rights holder. I don't think Batman has that problem but I read once upon a time that was the deal with several Marvel properties that got sold off which is why we got garbage Fantastic 4 movies or continual Spiderman reboots.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Also probably a combination of hiring people and paying them to not work or losing crew who have to seek new jobs. Both could easily end up more expensive than building a bubble to shoot the movie.

Especially if you build a shitty bubble and just want to get production done before everyone gets sick (looking at you NBA owners)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG