As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - For The Birds

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - For The Birds

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    areadmgareadmg Proper Cat Aurora, CORegistered User regular
    Naw. I get it. I bought a pre-built with lots of slots for upgrading it. Much less hassle and no chance of the case just getting filled with cat hair.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Now the knowledge that this is someone's fetish is permanently burned into my mind. Thanks guys.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Yup, that was me this week. I've done the self build thing before and it was fun in a hobby way, but this time I ordered a system from a big name, and it arrived the literal next day I plugged it in and game on. As the years go by and your free time dwindles while cash reserves become more comfortable, the idea of just paying someone else to do this shit for you becomes much more appealing.

Never forget to value your own free time in the cost/benefit analysis.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Bah! Next people will be saying they don't want to build their own cars!

• Options
    ProtectedProtected Registered User regular
    Assembling a desktop PC isn't particularly difficult or time-consuming. It mainly consists in screwing things in place with the same single screwdriver and plugging wires in uniquely shaped sockets. It's the skillset of a young child, and there isn't a lot of room for error.

I'm not beyond asking for advice on hardware compatibility and suitability though.

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Judging by the title I thought this was going to be about Assassin's Creed.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yup, that was me this week. I've done the self build thing before and it was fun in a hobby way, but this time I ordered a system from a big name, and it arrived the literal next day I plugged it in and game on. As the years go by and your free time dwindles while cash reserves become more comfortable, the idea of just paying someone else to do this shit for you becomes much more appealing.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you order your system from? I'm in the process of considering a new system, and I'm weighing my options of a self-build vs buying a premade. There are a few specs I want, but I'm sure there are sites that let me pick and choose components and they'll assemble it for me.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

If you don't mind my asking, where did you order your system from? I'm in the process of considering a new system, and I'm weighing my options of a self-build vs buying a premade. There are a few specs I want, but I'm sure there are sites that let me pick and choose components and they'll assemble it for me.

I went full pleb and got one from Dell in the sale :rotate:

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Protected wrote: »
    Assembling a desktop PC isn't particularly difficult or time-consuming. It mainly consists in screwing things in place with the same single screwdriver and plugging wires in uniquely shaped sockets. It's the skillset of a young child, and there isn't a lot of room for error.

I'm not beyond asking for advice on hardware compatibility and suitability though.

I have built at least a dozen computers over the past few decades (for myself and for others), and I can say that has not been my experience. The research alone on which components I put into said system and where to find them at the best prices is already what I'd call time-consuming. Maybe if you were keeping up with all the components as they were released, you'd have that knowledge fresh in your mind. But I only looking into it at the time I want to build a system. Until then, I have no idea which CPUs are teh fastest, which graphic cards are the graphickest, and what newfangled type of RAM they've come up with now. I'm just a programmer, after all. Those things are normally not something I care about.

Though yes, once you've done all that and if everything works the first time then the next part can be easy. But if it doesn't, have fun pouring more time down the sinkhole.

dennis on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Rebuilding my PC is something I do about twice a decade. I think the annual time overhead works out to about 40 minutes or so. While I look forward to the day when my time is that precious, I'm fully cognizant that it most certainly isn't.

Also I kinda like reading up on and arguing about the components.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Rebuilding my PC is something I do about twice a decade. I think the annual time overhead works out to about 40 minutes or so. While I look forward to the day when my time is that precious, I'm fully cognizant that it most certainly isn't.

I don't think you're including the reading up and arguing into your 40 minute time budget! But sure if you enjoy that bit and you already know what you're doing then it isn't a free time cost to you so self build works out in your favour.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

I don't think you're including the reading up and arguing into your 40 minute time budget! But sure if you enjoy that bit and you already know what you're doing then it isn't a free time cost to you so self build works out in your favour.

I went through the same analysis this weekend and landed on a premade system since I figured I would end up with something like 40 hours research for parts + 1 hour of building. Back in the day maybe I enjoyed the research more or just knew enough to get through that quicker.

Now just to research where to buy the premade...

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Tycho you may want to schedule a telehealth visit - the visible swelling on one side of your face is generally considered abnormal

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Tycho you may want to schedule a telehealth visit - the visible swelling on one side of your face is generally considered abnormal

He's had worse.
    214647398_2vYyN-L-2.jpg

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I mean it's usually a lot cheaper to build a pc. Especially getting parts during black Friday/cyber Monday. That being said. Every time I am sweating bullets seating the cpu in the mobo with heat sync and thermal grease. I wish I'd just gotten a barebones kit and added a video card, ram and hard drive.

Big bucks no whammys big bucks no whammys.

zepherin on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I've had one of Alienware's cool triangular cases for about 5 years now. Went prebuilt because I loved how much room the case had and figured if I went back to buying my own parts after at least I have a lot of square footage to work with.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Sorta related, one of my favorite long-running PA themes is Tycho always having to deal with Gabe's computer woes.
    368416912_mtYQG-L-2.jpg

As for the topic, building a PC has never been easier and I still can't be bothered. I bought a premade last year from Microcenter that's been just fine, but it's just a midrange rig. I think the higher end you go, the more you save by building your own.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I've built my last two computers. A couple years back my current desktop PC started having issues with games where it would lock up and force me to hard restart the whole thing. I never did track down the problem, and I didn't particularly care to start pouring new hardware into the machine to try and solve the issue, so I simply moved my PC gaming over to my laptop. The main temptation I have nowadays to replace my desktop is simply to be able to play games on a desktop without having to worry about it locking up on me. However, I think my days of needing an awesome gaming rig might be behind me. I mostly play around on the Switch or play Final Fantasy XIV on the laptop.

If I do replace the desktop, I too might give in to the dark side and buy something that is at least partially prepared for me in advance. I enjoy putting all the pieces together, but I don't have much enthusiasm for the research that would be needed to bring me back up to speed with the world of computer hardware. Maybe I can find a nice middle ground between "building my own" and "buying a computer at Best Buy." lol

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The only reason my next computer may be a pre-made is because you can't build your own Mac Mini (Well you can, but I have zero interest in making a Hackintosh). For gaming, I will never stoop to a lazy pre-made. Through the powers of DIY, I am still rocking an overclocked 3rd gen i7, a large but quiet aftermarket air cooler, several 1 TB SSDs, and a GTX 1080 FTW. I can play almost everything on Ultra @ 2560x1600.

The motherboard and CPU I had to have picked out like several years ago and ever since it's just been building on to it. When there's a 50% increase in performance CPU for $300-350, I'll bite on buying a new CPU/motherboard/RAM and the rest but until then DIY continues to have been the smartest decision. Same for a new GPU, I need to see some solid gains to plunk down the cash. Probably around the time the RTX 3080 Ti is out (or whatever it ends up being).

I'm dumbfounded that some people would spend an entire workweek's worth of hours figuring out the components...I don't see how one could spend so much time on that, but I guess it depends how much you flip through forums and argue with the resident fanboys about why Brand A is inferior to Brand B and so on. Admittedly I have my brand biases, so two of those X vs Y decisions are a non-issue for me as I always go for Brand A and X (Take that, shoddy Brand B and Y owners!).

Zenigata on
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Zenigata wrote: »
    I'm dumbfounded that some people would spend an entire workweek's worth of hours figuring out the components...I don't see how one could spend so much time on that, but I guess it depends how much you flip through forums and argue with the resident fanboys about why Brand A is inferior to Brand B and so on. Admittedly I have my brand biases, so two of those X vs Y decisions are a non-issue for me as I always go for Brand A and X (Take that, shoddy Brand B and Y owners!).

I can't speak for anyone else, but I spend exactly zero time paying attention to the world of computer hardware EXCEPT when I'm planning to build a new computer. I'm not sure I would spend a workweek's worth of hours when all is said and done, but I could see the process being drawn out over a few weeks as I do little bits of research as time permits.

But, I'm guessing you are a much more serious PC gamer than I am. I have never overclocked anything and have no plans to do so. I also don't have any percentage increases that I'm watching for in order to decide when to upgrade. I'm not making fun of any of it -- I'm just saying kudos to you for putting so much energy into it.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Kwisatz Haderach Kwisatz Haderach The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it. Registered User regular
    I genuinely enjoy researching and building/upgrading my rig. It's pretty much the only thing I have left that I spend unreasonable amounts of money on (oh to be a bachelor again). In the past 15 years it's been happening less and less frequently. I too only start researching when it's time to upgrade. The main point of researching is finding the optimal value/price components. As this changes with every new release, there's little point staying on top of this if you're not buying.

• Options
    UrazzUrazz Registered User regular
    Yeah, I went with building my own rig in the past, and while it does save me money, it eats up time, especially if everything doesn't work out together since you will need to figure out why it's not working. I go with preassembled systems since they are plug and play and depending on where you get it, they can have a few years of tech support that will replace parts for free.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    I love spending time researching and building my rig. I don't spend a lot of time looking at components unless I'm looking at a new build, aside from the occasional article about new jumps in progress.

Also, it's fun, and satisfying. It's like any side project you have. And you can get a better computer for cheaper by building it yourself, which makes it last longer. In all my builds I've only ever had to replace one hard drive. My current build is awesome and has some great RGB. My last build was able to continue playing all the newest games on High and some on Ultra still, even after 5+ years. I only upgraded because I wanted everything on Ultra again haha.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Pavio wrote: »
    Also, it's fun, and satisfying. It's like any side project you have.

I wouldn't say it's like any side project, though. Those can vary in "fun" level. Anything related to plumbing, for example: not fun. At least for me. Maybe it turns someone's crank. I'm also not too fond on garden related side projects, but I know there are plenty of people that are crazy about them. They fall more under the "necessary but annoying" category for me.

Building my own PC falls somewhere below plumbing for me now. It's just not worth the limited free time I have now with a full-time job and a full-time family. Spending more time researching and building a PC means I will have less time to actually play games on said PC, which is the whole point. It seems like a bad tradeoff.

It just all depends on the person.

dennis on
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Protected wrote: »

I have built at least a dozen computers over the past few decades (for myself and for others), and I can say that has not been my experience. The research alone on which components I put into said system and where to find them at the best prices is already what I'd call time-consuming. Maybe if you were keeping up with all the components as they were released, you'd have that knowledge fresh in your mind. But I only looking into it at the time I want to build a system. Until then, I have no idea which CPUs are teh fastest, which graphic cards are the graphickest, and what newfangled type of RAM they've come up with now. I'm just a programmer, after all. Those things are normally not something I care about.

Though yes, once you've done all that and if everything works the first time then the next part can be easy. But if it doesn't, have fun pouring more time down the sinkhole.

I generally just pop onto the Tom's Hardware forums or the like where strange people research and post builds for fun based on what's currently on sale. It takes maybe an afternoon and means saving at least several hundred dollars.

All things being equal I'd go for pre-built (and I've found myself generally just playing games on consoles recently partly for that reason), but it's hard for me to justify the drastic difference in price.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    For tech savvy people who know what they need and how to get a deal it's worth it to them. But not to me. Also there are sites that build them for you and you pick out the parts and such so that would be the route i'd take if I was going to do it. Outside of maybe a part here or there if I can get it cheap. Like I heard new graphic cards are coming soon so the older ones may dip in price.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    I went from building my own machines for 20+ years (what’s up overclocked athlon xp) to a dell laptop.

The laptop is better. Smaller. Faster. Quieter. Portable.

The world has moved on.

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    The laptop is better. Smaller. Faster. Quieter. Portable.

The world has moved on.

In general, I agree. But then I had to go and want to get into (desktop) VR. :D

(Still have an ultrathin laptop for surfing from the couch, though.)

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Building my own rig was a lot of fun back in the day, but ever since I switched to a laptop as my primary computer like a decade ago, I just can't imagine going back to a desktop. The ability to move my computer from one room to another has become a "must have" feature for me.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I learned the hard way that one thing that you do need to be concerned about with a prebuilt system is the size of the case. Thankfully some graphics cards are smaller than others.

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    The irony is, assembling your own PC from components now is easier than it has ever been. Gone are the days of looking up the proper jumper settings for your hard drive or optical drive. Modern motherboards are all clearly marked and color coded for your convenience. Driver support is sooooooo much better in modern operating systems as well. Just ask anyone who remembers when "plug and play" was basically its own meme in the 90's. It is increasingly rare that your motherboard, and graphics card selection will simply be incompatible or that your chipset can't support that specific device controller.