As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »
    need a healer that gives +energy shields to a single target.

Ah - like a dive support (Zen) but better 'cause shields.

Og Sym gave out what, 30 shields? Then the generator ult was I think 75.

I kinda' loved the shield gen Meta.

I really want to see how many characters we'll be getting with OW2.

I'd like at least 3 for each class.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Well by end of 2020 we'll be down 3 heroes that would otherwise have come out as part of the 3-per-year release cycle. I think we'd be lucky to get 6 new heroes total with OW2, probably more like 4-5. Keep in mind they're not actually selling them.

Zek on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Well by end of 2020 we'll be down 3 heroes that would otherwise have come out as part of the 3-per-year release cycle. I think we'd be lucky to get 6 new heroes total with OW2, probably more like 4-5. Keep in mind they're not actually selling them.

Idk... making single-player OW content, reskinning every hero for 2.0, all the new maps for the new mode... that's a ton of resources. I wouldn't be shocked if we got 1 new hero at launch and a promise they'll return to a normal hero release schedule.
    need a healer that gives +energy shields to a single target.

Ah - like a dive support (Zen) but better 'cause shields.

Og Sym gave out what, 30 shields? Then the generator ult was I think 75.

I kinda' loved the shield gen Meta.

i really do miss the shield gen. there could be a longer cooldown on giving someone a shield where zen can switch instantly. also, ults don't have to be near the same.

I want to make clear - the reason I miss shield gen is the same reason Brig got nerfed - it made me OP on Tracer. I have a vid of me running around back in the Shield Gen days on Gibraltar. We're defending, they've just taken the first point, the payload is through the door and my Sym gets a shield gen up. Then my Torb begins throwing armor packs.

I'm a Tracer with 300HP. I I was running through a meadow, I tell you. A beautiful, sunlit meadow of clover and support corpses, and immortal flankers with too much HP.

No, I doubt we're getting anything more powerful to pocket a flanker from afar than a Zen orb or a Zarya bubble any time soon. They can't let it happen, you see.

They can't let us smell the clover. (Inhales very deeply.) Mmh.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid

If it doesn't start at about 3:00, skip to about 3:00.

https://youtu.be/ZhGnfzhVp-Q?t=178

This isn't me going nuts all buffed on a shield gen - this is four years ago, December 2016, when a Tracer's job was always to kill the shield gen.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Idk... making single-player OW content, reskinning every hero for 2.0, all the new maps for the new mode... that's a ton of resources. I wouldn't be shocked if we got 1 new hero at launch and a promise they'll return to a normal hero release schedule.

i'd have to go hunting for quotes, but i'm pretty sure they specifically said that we should expect multiple new heroes on the release of OW2

which i'd damn well hope so because releasing a numbered sequel with only a single new hero would be extremely lame

yeah it's a lot of resources but considering how long they've been putting off adding any significant new content to the game, i don't think it's unreasonable

edited July 2020
    I want to be impressed. Just... waitin'.

(Googles it.)
    "Blizzard announced Overwatch 2 at BlizzCon on Friday, promising new maps, multiple new heroes..."
    -Polygon

Okay.

Edit: but c'mon. Promises, promises.

Chance on
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    They said four heroes were in development (which included Echo and Sojourn), but I don't believe that they ever said that any particular number of heroes would be out at release. Just "multiple."

https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/overwatch-2-reportedly-four-unannounced-heroes-1219632

----

Placements decided to drop me 200 on support, so I guess it's time to put up ridiculous numbers for a while.

YI7VLZ0.png

I'm like 9-2 since placements, and virtually every game is over 40% healing, even on Lucio or Mercy.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    edited July 2020
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    They said four heroes were in development (which included Echo and Sojourn), but I don't believe that they ever said that any particular number of heroes would be out at release. Just "multiple."

https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/overwatch-2-reportedly-four-unannounced-heroes-1219632

----

Placements decided to drop me 200 on support, so I guess it's time to put up ridiculous numbers for a while.

YI7VLZ0.png

I'm like 9-2 since placements, and virtually every game is over 40% healing, even on Lucio or Mercy.

My brother cratered his support ranking to sub-900 this week >.< I haven't placed this season or last lol.

Edit: And to play Devil's Advocate, "multiple" could mean as little as 2, 4 "in development" doesn't mean 3 more at launch, to me. These developers and their technicalities.

Also, re: heals.

Maaaan. You can so tell the difference when a Moira's healing their team and when they're chasing kills. A Moira who actually dedicates herself to healing her peeps makes her peeps infuriatingly difficult to kill.

Chance on
    They might not even have known the number themselves given the very iffy release timeline of OW2.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh yeah I'm 100% sure that they didn't have a clear idea of how many there would be when they first announced it, and still might not even have an idea right now.

I'm kinda' bummed they went out and confirmed the next WoW expansion is definitely coming this fall, but not a peep about OW2.

Oh welly.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    My fingers are still crossed for this fall.

I really wish they were at least talking about SOMETHING. Even if it's stuff that never made it past one design meeting phase. What they were planning. The direction they want to go in, either broadly or with specific characters. What they're doing (or have rejected doing) to follow up on any of the hojillion things that they've said they need to do better in past developer updates/interviews. Even just tossing out sketches from the artists's reject pile would be at least a scrap. That and actually using Experimental for its stated purpose instead of being PTR 2.0.

ztrEPtD.gif
    OW2 has been radio silent for so long, I hope they've got something else up their sleeve to sweeten the pot a little. I'm looking forward to playing what they've announced, but their "unconventional" decision to put so much of the content into OW1 for crossplay really threw everything into confusion. They've got probably multiple heroes and maps sitting there completely finished by now, just not being released because marketing wants to pretend that OW2's release date is a bigger event than it really is. It really robbed OW1 of its momentum as a live game which I don't think is worth it.

Well let's be fair. Fortnite hadn't exploded before Overwatch launched, from what I remember. At the time, Fortnite launched and kinda' faceplanted - just like Battleborne - and Overwatch's biggest competition was PUBG or the yearly CoD release. Then Fortnite made its own BR and exploded, and there was a mass exodus from Overwatch when that happened. BR was added late 2017 (15 months after OW launched), but idk when it blew up.

And there's been other games over the years that've pulled the base away. Whenever there's a sale, you notice some new accounts - sometimes with a new event - but Overwatch's "momentum" was broadsided with Fortnite, and it never really recovered to what it was, after that.

I think Overwatch 2 is actually kind of a response to the fact that the game didn't have the Addiction-Will-Do-That-quality loyalty that World of Warcraft provided. I mean, present company excluded, obviously.

lzbqyuhbx8ny.gif

edited July 2020
    What makes you think Fortnite pulled that many people away from OW? They're completely different games and Blizz doesn't put out regular active player numbers. I think Overwatch was never a game with Fortnite levels of cultural phenomenon potential, but it's always been a very popular game by most standards.

Zek on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Disappointed they didn't even put an experiment card up this week to at least lead into a patch to go with the Summer Games which should likely be next Tuesday.

edited July 2020
    What makes you think Fortnite pulled that many people away from OW? They're completely different games and Blizz doesn't put out regular active player numbers. I think Overwatch was never a game with Fortnite levels of cultural phenomenon potential, but it's always been a very popular game by most standards.

I think there was definitely a mass exodus of streamers from Overwatch to Fortnite and they definitely felt that in popularity hit and the bottom line, and Fortnite's update and release cadence has kept them there even while other things like Apex tried to horn in on that space. I'm pretty sure that Overwatch still has a pretty major playerbase though. Few if any of its modes have problems putting a game together with people of at least approximately close SRs/MMRs aside from at the top. Compare that to eg HotS or Paladins where matchmaking is abject lunacy. I'm mid platinum in Paladins, and I regularly get tossed in with everything from silvers to former pros. And that's a game with console/PC crossplay (although PC people mostly opt out because console aim assist is waaaay overtuned and basically aimbotting).

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What makes you think Fortnite pulled that many people away from OW?

Overwatch added dance animations after people went wild for the dances in Fortnite. Blizzard was clearly intimidated by Fortnite.

(Please ignore the precedent set by the popular dances in Blizzard's other game, WoW.)

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

I think there was definitely a mass exodus of streamers from Overwatch to Fortnite and they definitely felt that in popularity hit and the bottom line, and Fortnite's update and release cadence has kept them there even while other things like Apex tried to horn in on that space. I'm pretty sure that Overwatch still has a pretty major playerbase though. Few if any of its modes have problems putting a game together with people of at least approximately close SRs/MMRs aside from at the top. Compare that to eg HotS or Paladins where matchmaking is abject lunacy. I'm mid platinum in Paladins, and I regularly get tossed in with everything from silvers to former pros. And that's a game with console/PC crossplay (although PC people mostly opt out because console aim assist is waaaay overtuned and basically aimbotting).

isnt that cos paladins literally turned off skill-based matchmaking cos qs got too long

obF2Wuw.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    When does the summer event begin?

isnt that cos paladins literally turned off skill-based matchmaking cos qs got too long

Not to my knowledge, nor do I see any sign of that Googling, and having created a new account a few months back, I was definitely being grouped with pants-on-head imbeciles for about a week that eventually stopped and I haven't seen any of that kind of nonsense for at least a couple months (although I haven't played either OW or Paladins every day for a few weeks now). But that's my point. OW's population size is still healthy enough, even without crossplay, that at least in the middle, it can still pretty quickly put together more or less appropriately balanced games (at least by SR), at least on the NA servers. I've seen/heard horror stories about others though.

ztrEPtD.gif
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6XHyQb8JyE

Yeeeeah, that's enough Overwatch for one night. At one game, with a leaver 3 minutes in.

ztrEPtD.gif
    emnmnme wrote: »
    When does the summer event begin?

No announcements or teases yet :(

It might not be for a few weeks yet. 2019 is the only year so far they started in July rather than August.

ztrEPtD.gif
    IIRC 2019's summer event started early because Sigma was delayed. This year it'll probably be early August.

IIRC 2019's summer event started early because Sigma was delayed. This year it'll probably be early August.

Leaving the discerning PS4 player ample time to protect my divine homeland of Tsushima from the mongol hordes that would pillage her. Bring it on, Khotun Khan!

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are hackers about as bad as they've ever been? Seeing one roughly one a session in comp now, it's fucking brutal.

I've had Amazon prime like, the whole time Overwatch has been a thing and never used my prime membership to support a Twitch streamer.

Fitzyhere, your endless positivity, thoughtfulness and general chill demeanor have earned this.

Kasyn wrote: »
    Is it just me or are hackers about as bad as they've ever been? Seeing one roughly one a session in comp now, it's fucking brutal.

Worst thing I tend to get on PS4 is a mouse and keyboard user.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm have a feeling next patch Genji and Brig are getting nerfs to their ult charge speed.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    overwatch confessions time

I nanoed the Mercy on my team when she pushed the Valkyrie button and started pew pewing away.

I did this twice in a single match.

I'm pretty sure this is not tactically sound but I also am pretty sure they had a fun time with it.

I nanoed the Mercy on my team when she pushed the Valkyrie button and started pew pewing away.

I'm pretty sure this is not tactically sound but I also am pretty sure they had a fun time with it.

reminds me of one of my favorite OW comics

48d9ee2ac5920e5a3001057b0f12f966f78dd1eb_hq.jpg

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i have had anas randomly nano when on the merchy and theres nothing for it u gotta go in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCq_4uV0W54

obF2Wuw.png

A while back I was playing Mercy, and we're losing on Numbani, I think it was. I use Valk and during it I have a pair of good opportunities, and get 2 picks. After the Valk, I check my healing numbers and discover I'm gold with 3 elims. Now let me say at no point did I significantly abandon my healing responsibilities - but when no one else is contesting the enemy Widow, sometimes the Mercy's gonna' pew pew.

I said nothing in voice - I'm always in group chat, never team - but after that, our Ana nano'd me every time she got it, and I stayed gold elims 'till the end, when we lost.

reminds me of one of my favorite OW comics

48d9ee2ac5920e5a3001057b0f12f966f78dd1eb_hq.jpg

This is an indelible image to me - Mercy seeing the dart in her forehead, the trickle of blood, the amp-up battle cry as she heads in.

ki7tjip8houp.gif

And the animation:

https://youtu.be/FBoFHc_DrBw

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    still regret not getting the OWL nanomercy twitch emote

uc3ufTB.png
    Just lost like every game, but I got a Genji PotG with the blade.

Hm. Easy high ground access you say...

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Supposedly Jeff posted on reddit there's two things in the pipeline with one seeing next week maybe, a moira rework/minor genji nerf, and then something that failed experiment but they're gonna put out anyway.

And while it's a swamp to wade through at the official OW forums trying to find information, they brought up a good point; when Symmetra got her beam bug fixed and was shredding people a year ago, her pick rate went up to just 4% and she was hammered in two weeks with a patch and then another. Which was fine, she was overtuned. But Genji's getting over 10% now, I think I saw he's at 14% pickrate which was broken Hamzo summer '18 levels. But because this misguided belief OWL will save everything they're letting this OP Genji run until probably the season is over. And as someone who used to have the OWL on as background, I haven't even bothered the past three or four weeks outside of the final because it's just gotten boring, mirrors and poor production values (they've somehow gotten worse since the quarantine season started).

On the plus side for as much as I hate Sigma that's a very good skin, easily his best. Was he the conductor for The Policeman's Benevolent Association Orchestra a dab