As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cambridge Analytica], [Facebook], and Data Security.

1404142434446»

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

The worst part is, he might not be wrong.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

The worst part is, he might not be wrong.

Ehhhh, during COVID it's an easy slash on the budget, and given likely supply chain/availability issues, there's enough concern about filling existing demand. Wouldn't be surprised for people to lean out for a while.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mark Zuckerberg personally lost $7 billion dollars already

This is a bluff

Give them 4 more weeks of no big ad revenue

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Mark Zuckerberg personally lost $7 billion dollars already

This is a bluff

Give them 4 more weeks of no big ad revenue

The stock bounced back already. He's got his billions back.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Also, stock losing value is NOT personally losing money unless it's sold at that lower value. Same thing goes for your own personal investments.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I give it another week before he capitulates. As far as I know Ads are all FB has.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Facebook did a self-audit.

It didn't go well.
    Facebook Inc (FB.O) has not done enough to protect users from discrimination, falsehoods and incitement to violence, an external civil rights audit found on Wednesday, adding to pressure on the company in the midst of an advertiser boycott.

The audit report, which Facebook commissioned two years ago, pointed to what the authors described as a series of harmful decisions, including a “terrible precedent” not to intervene in posts in recent weeks by President Donald Trump, which could allow the platform to be “weaponized to suppress voting”.

The auditors said Facebook had been too willing to exempt politicians from its rules, letting some spread misinformation, harmful and divisive rhetoric, and even calls to violence.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/weaponized-facebook-fails-protect-civil-rights-audit-says-n1233143

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I give it another week before he capitulates. As far as I know Ads are all FB has.

While yes, 98% of Facebook's revenues are ads, the current boycott has not come close to making a dent in that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also some of them apparently are only suspending ad buys for a month to get the publicity

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Also some of them apparently are only suspending ad buys for a month to get the publicity

The original boycott was just meant to be for a month.

Now that Facebook has reacted by giving everyone the finger, we'll see what the sponsors decide to do.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I think most of facebooks ads are for small/local companies

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Aaaand Facebook completely ignores/denies the results of it's own audit in 3... 2... 1...

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Facebook considering nixing all political ads.

Except that the problem's not the ads. It's the disinformation campaigns. So what this would have an effect on and target are primarily legitimate campaigns, not the bullshit right wing and/or Russian propaganda machines.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Zuck is in , Pre-emptive, "Ass Covering Mode", if Tump gets trounced in November.

Just in time, before the future, "Congressional Hearing of Facebook's overarch and manipulation of the Media", since his bro, Ajit Pai, won't be FCC Chairman by then, to act as a proxy buffer for him.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in WTF: Woman posts about having cancer, Facebook immediately sells her quackery:
    Last week, I posted about my breast cancer diagnosis on Facebook. Since then, my Facebook feed has featured ads for “alternative cancer care.” The ads, which were new to my timeline, promote everything from cumin seeds to colloidal silver as cancer treatments. Some ads promise luxury clinics — or even “nontoxic cancer therapies” on a beach in Mexico.

There’s a reason I’ll never fall for these ads: I’m an advocate against pseudoscience. As a consultant for the watchdog group Bad Science Watch and the founder of the Campaign Against Phony Autism Cures, I’ve learned to recognize the hallmarks of pseudoscience marketing: unproven and sometimes dangerous treatments, promising simplistic solutions and support. Things like “bleach cures” that promise to treat everything from Covid-19 to autism.

When I saw the ads, I knew that Facebook had probably tagged me to receive them. Interestingly, I haven’t seen any legitimate cancer care ads in my newsfeed, just pseudoscience. This may be because pseudoscience companies rely on social media in a way that other forms of health care don’t. Pseudoscience companies leverage Facebook’s social and supportive environment to connect their products with identities and to build communities around their products. They use influencers and patient testimonials. Some companies also recruit members through Facebook “support groups” to sell their products in pyramid schemes.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Huh, that’s another vector for how Facebook is getting people killed isn’t it

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I do disagree with the argument that Facebook is "too big to regulate" - mainly because we've never tried regulating it, thanks to Silicon Valley and their enablers crying that regulation will destroy the tech industry whenever it's been tried. This is part of why Warren's calls to regulate and break Facebook up had Zuckerberg ready to basically go to war - he's spent his life making it so he's accountable to nobody, and Warren's proposals would have ended that in a flash.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum