As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's All Freak Out In The [Ghost of Tsushima] Thread

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Been seeing some really high praise of the combat in this game from YouTubers, calling it as precise and precision based just like the trailer promised.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Other than the condition of an attack, I'm curious what other information is being lost. Nothing I saw in reviews suggested that anything was noticeably missing.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I have heard conflicting things about Kurosawa mode

Some say it is more than just a grayscale filter and film tearing, some say it is exactly that with the wind turned up

Either way, it’s something for a post-game or second play through for me

If you want me to play through your game in black and white, make your game black and white. Don’t make it an option I have to choose. You’re the one who made the game, not me!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    metaghost wrote: »
    Sucker Punch has always had great combat systems and decent storytelling layered over a formulaic and repetitive open world. In the inFamous games, especially, the open worlds were more stages for combat than settings meant to be explored on their own merit.

Which is okay. I'm down for an old-school, super-polished Sony original open world-fest.

Certainly some criticisms at work here are that the world design/aesthetics merit exploration for the sake of taking in new vistas, but that the developers are not confident enough to let that be true, and instead badger you with wind swells and bird calls to tell you "here's a new doodad, and over here's an upgrade!"

Easy Allies review showed the upgrade screen and mentioned that there's a tree dedicated to Exploration which upgrades how many things said wind and birds can pop up for. So the solution to this is to just not upgrade those things so you have to find most stuff on your own.

Viskod on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    An example I saw was a mission that has you "collect blue flowers" which are obviously not blue in B+W mode.

It sounds like they just slapped a greyscale filter on it and called it a day.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Another dumb thing is that the faces are animated to match the english language track which.... why?

Viskod wrote: »
    Another dumb thing is that the faces are animated to match the english language track which.... why?

Because much like the Kurosawa mode, it wasn't thought out or meant to be played that way. This is a Western interpretation of an Asian setting, for better or worse. Everyone speaks English.

steam_sig.png

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Haven't played a good Samurai ninja game since Tenchu or Way of the Samurai 3, so when I upgrade to next gen this'll be on the list to check out.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Haven't played a good Samurai ninja game since Tenchu or Way of the Samurai 3, so when I upgrade to next gen this'll be on the list to check out.

Yeah, that's the main reason I'm in, especially since I couldn't play the Niohs (Souls-likes just aren't for me). Plus I'm a sucker for atmosphere.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Like I get it guys, everyone loves their freaking Yokai. But can we pretend at some point that Japanese history actually happened?

• ChanceChance Registered User regular

Sekiro.

Did that Yakuza samurai game ever come west?

Also IGN's review is speaking my language.

https://youtu.be/MHrsygIxC5k

I wonder if the stealth was hindered by pure design lack, or because - correct me if I'm wrong - this looks like the Decima (Horizon/Death Stranding) engine, and its stealth was rudimentary at best, though incredibly powerful with buffs.

Either way, I've played enough stealth games and only one pure samurai franchise (WotS). I'm cool with the swordplay being super fun.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    Sekiro is likely to be released on PC at some point, so as a Soulsborne fan I'll suffer through it with Bloodborne.

Sekiro is already on PC.

steam_sig.png

I really like the combat flow and animations. Enemies take a few hits, but they *react* to getting hit. The swords don't seem like nerf bats, and no one is "walking off" getting stabbed through the brain. Normal enemies take a few hits, or one or two with stealth or heavy attacks. Bosses take more, but that seems mostly due to their armor.
    Assassins Creed is really good at showing this type of combat as well, especially AC1. "Hits" were shown by either a kick, punch, or getting knocked off balance by a heavy strike in the animations. Only the "last" hit of either an enemy or to the player shows the blade cutting through or stabbing through.
    Nerf bat fighting is common in FPS games like Oblivion. Obviously you can do more with a 3rd person perspective but it's really hard unless you take the time to show it right.

The presentation and animations are very big deals to me, so I just wanna' point out... I love how Jin will, if left with no imput from the player, just chill for a moment after a strike, holding the pose like a badass.

And the whole flicking blood off the sword before sheathing it. It's like a gunslinger giving it a spin before holstering. So kewwl.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Pre loaded and looking forward to playing this all weekend once my shifts finished.

I’ve seen some of the reviews and listened to the waypoint podcast. Still looking forward to the game and thinking I may go in on hard difficulty to try and get that bushido blade experience I long for.

I’m ready.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I don't wanna read too much about the game, wanna go in as fresh as I can, but one thing I need to research is how good the game looks/plays on an old-school PS4. I've had mine literally since launch and need to decide if I want to a) stick with it, b) buy a Pro now, c) wait till the PS5 drops and buy a Pro after the inevitable price drop.

I don't wanna read too much about the game, wanna go in as fresh as I can, but one thing I need to research is how good the game looks/plays on an old-school PS4. I've had mine literally since launch and need to decide if I want to a) stick with it, b) buy a Pro now, c) wait till the PS5 drops and buy a Pro after the inevitable price drop.

It drops in 2 days - why not see how it runs / looks and decide once you've played the tutorial?

edited July 2020
    Huh!

https://youtu.be/q6_0kmt9R-4

Edit: TLDW: Both versions will have the occasional frame dips below thirty. Weirdly, the Pro version, when set to favor framerate, will never exceed thirty - so don't bother with that setting.

"If you have a PS4 you won't be disappointed. If you have a Pro, you're in for a treat."

Chance on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Chance wrote: »

It drops in 2 days - why not see how it runs / looks and decide once you've played the tutorial?

is...there planned to be a demo? i guess i wasn't clear that this would also help decide if i buy the game now at full price or wait on it till the possibility of a sale or whatever. don't really wanna drop sixty bucks just to find out i'm better off waiting till i upgrade anyway

that video is definitely a good starting point though

Houk the Namebringer on
    NO DEMO.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yay preloading!

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I told myself I was all Japan’ed out after Sekiro and Shadow Tactics. Then I watched this for a while and saw a boss fight in a field of flowers that looked incredible.

So I preordered it today.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Japanese reviewers are apparently in love with the game with numerous authors saying this is one of the rare instances they see where a western developer creates a Japanese setting that doesn't feel awkward, foreign, or inauthentic.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    They apparently had a Japanese historian work alongside them for most of the development.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They apparently had a Japanese historian work alongside them for most of the development.

That seems weird since it's apparently full of anachronisms (not that I mind, it's a video game, it's just a weird thing when it's supposedly trying to take itself super seriously)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It's worth pointing out that where certain members of Western games journalism (say Austin Walker and his circle) may be critical of a lacking in political commentary and a perceived simplification of moral conflict, the nationalistic tone of "expel the foreign invaders and uphold traditional values!" is perhaps less problematic to the Japanese (see: nihonjinron).

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I think as long as it has giant enemy crabs, it'll do Japanese history justice.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

That seems weird since it's apparently full of anachronisms (not that I mind, it's a video game, it's just a weird thing when it's supposedly trying to take itself super seriously)

Anachronisms are typically only an issue if unintended. Tsushima would appear to be a fully intentional compression and rearrangement of history necessary to yield Samurai vs. Mongols. If folks want to flex on their historical knowledge and educate players by clarifying when Haiku are presumed first written, that's cool — but I don't think Sucker Punch is operating under the belief that their game is historically accurate, just fiction rooted in historical events. (Of course, that too is inherently problematic for some.)

Ghost of Tsushima is being praised by Japanese critics:

https://kotaku.com/ghost-of-tsushima-is-being-praised-by-japanese-critics-1844387298

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    8957jems5bgb.png
    hypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehype

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I dunno, I don't think the Japanese were speaking English that early in their history so I think some historical inaccuracies are a given.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

I wonder if it'll do like The Last Samurai did and actually be better received in Japan than in the West, reviewer-wise at least.

8957jems5bgb.png
    hypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehype

My copy will go live tomorrow night at 11pm.

I have booked Friday off.

And also next week.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I wonder if it'll do like The Last Samurai did and actually be better received in Japan than in the West, reviewer-wise at least.

Really? I enjoy the The Last Samurai quite a bit but the "white savior" angle always bothers me; I would've figured Japan would not have been happy about that. But I guess it can be argued that he isn't the white savior stereotype because he actually joins up with the samurai and takes on their lifestyle instead of saving them with his own (and his past as an American soldier slaughtering Native Americans is pitched as anything but heroic)? After all, he's on the way to drinking himself to death before finding purpose with the samurai, so they actually save him rather than the other way around.

It's interesting that a nit picked in that review is actually the cadence of the speech for the Japanese track. Apparently medieval Japanese speakers were more deliberate in their speech and what stands out to the reviewer is that the rapid speech and casual use of sarcasm/irony are what stick out as Western elements, but otherwise the Japanese speech and symbols used are pretty dang period-accurate.

My interest in the game is definitely increasing. Just like gunslinger Westerns, a really good samurai piece always has a particular unique flavor that I love, and the art design here is simply gorgeous from everything I can see. I'm genuinely curious if the game might be too intense on the samurai aspect for the average Western critic, since there are details of that lifestyle that don't make it into the stereotyped view of them. I could easily see there being elements that perfectly match the samurai angle but are lost on or disliked by most Western players.

Jazz wrote: »

Really? I enjoy the The Last Samurai quite a bit but the "white savior" angle always bothers me; I would've figured Japan would not have been happy about that. But I guess it can be argued that he isn't the white savior stereotype because he actually joins up with the samurai and takes on their lifestyle instead of saving them with his own (and his past as an American soldier slaughtering Native Americans is pitched as anything but heroic)? After all, he's on the way to drinking himself to death before finding purpose with the samurai, so they actually save him rather than the other way around.

The whole "white savior" thing isn't really an issue for Japanese movie-goers because it doesn't come up in their media all that much (for obvious reasons). Japan fucking loves American movie stars, so "Tom Cruise in a movie about Japan and specifically samurai and then he is a samurai!" is actually a pretty easy sell there.

I have a huge answer to this and gainful homebound employment has turned me from my true duty of talking about video games on the internet. I'll brb and resolve this... dishonor.

Okay meet Australian and later naturalized American author James Clavell. A big deal in the 70s, one of his massive novels - Shogun - got turned into an epic event miniseries on TV. His rendering of the rise of the Tokugowa Shogunate - told from the perspective of an Englishman who washes ashore, is the first foreigner made Samurai and becomes one of Tokugawa's right-hand men and one of the most important people in the country - informed a generation of North Americans' perception of the Samurai mythos.

Now I'm with you, here. The idea of an Englishman washing ashore is a fine plot device. It gives the narrator and the people surrounding them an excellent reason to explain all these neat Japanese customs, like no shoes indoors and baths (who could imagine?) But here's the thing...

Meet William Adams, the real-life basis for the character in the novel Shogun.
    William Adams (24 September 1564 – 16 May 1620), known in Japanese as Miura Anjin (Japanese: 三浦按針, "the pilot of Miura"), was an English navigator who, in 1600, was the first Englishman to reach Japan during a five-ship expedition for a private Dutch fleet. Of the few survivors of the only ship that reached Japan, Adams and his second mate Jan Joosten were not allowed to leave the country while Jacob Quaeckernaeck and Melchior van Santvoort were to go back to the Dutch Republic to invite them to trade. Adams and Joosten settled in Japan and became two of the first ever (and very few) Western samurai.

Soon after Adams's arrival in Japan, he became a key advisor to the shōgun Tokugawa Ieyasu. Adams directed construction for the shōgun of the first Western-style ships in the country. He was later key to Japan's approving the establishment of trading factories by the Netherlands and England. He was also highly involved in Japan's Red Seal Asian trade, chartering and serving as captain of four expeditions to Southeast Asia. He died in Japan at age 55. He has been recognised as one of the most influential foreigners in Japan during this period.[1]

There are towns named after this guy. Every year they have festivals in his name.

The idea of a white dude showing up and becoming Samurai and being super cool with everyone is... part of Japan's history ^.^

Oh and I meant to say - I fucking hated that Tom Cruise movie when I saw it. Maybe I should rewatch it but, y'know. Tom Cruise.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Oh and I meant to say - I fucking hated that Tom Cruise movie when I saw it. Maybe I should rewatch it but, y'know. Tom Cruise.

By contrast, it's probably my favourite Cruise movie. Certainly one of them.