As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    That feels like a retcon. I'm pretty sure some of the Clan Invasion through Twilight of the Clans era books have moments where people are injured by the cockpit canopy being penetrated.
    Like, I think Natasha Kerensky's death fighting Joanna of Clan Jade Falcon happens that way? Joanna goomba stomps her, but the description talks about the jump jet breaking through and burning out the cockpit.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Checked Sarna since I always figured the cockpits were display panels and not actually glass windows for the bullets, and that appears to be the case for all "modern" mechs.

Yeah I think the tabletop they make the case that the cockpits are not where the glass/clear parts are. MWO (and MW5) they changed it so you are looking out those windows yourself. Once again Battletech designs are not all that well thought out and mainly the focus is more they look cool, pew pew, dakka, fwoosh, and things blow up.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Altas pilots only look out the left eye because obviously.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I definitely remember it being that cockpits had glass canopies because otherwise you couldn't see to target opponents and yes you will note that is explicitly counter to the rules of the game

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Level 3 rules excepted, the cockpit is canonically in the head, and I feel like for most 'Mechs that doesn't give you a lot of room to work with unless they're scaled up to be 40K Titan sized instead of the height of a 2-story building.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Actually I had to look it up. Sarna's source for the viewscreen thing came from a single book published in the 80s.

But I don't think I've ever heard or seen it mentioned in other books or games. It's always been the opposite, that yes they have glass canopies.

So further down the rabbit hole I went and I found this response from 2011 in regards to this very topic:
    Hello,

Yes, the canopy of a 'Mech is made of ferro-glass armor, which the pilot can see through, but which also polarizes against sudden flashes and the like (such as lasers and explosions perilously close to where the pilot sits).

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
    BattleTech
    Catalyst Game Labs

Mr. Beas has long been a part of the Battltech scene and until 2013 he was the lead dev for the tabletop game at CGL. So I'm just gonna go ahead and say that yeah, all Mechs have glass canopies.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    That feels like a retcon. I'm pretty sure some of the Clan Invasion through Twilight of the Clans era books have moments where people are injured by the cockpit canopy being penetrated.
    Like, I think Natasha Kerensky's death fighting Joanna of Clan Jade Falcon happens that way? Joanna goomba stomps her, but the description talks about the jump jet breaking through and burning out the cockpit.

One of the earliest novels has Caryle popping the canopy on his Marauder because...I think it was damaged and blinding him? Anyway he has to close his eyes anytime he fires the PPCs because otherwise they'd blind him.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Yeah, there's plenty of references in the books of cockpit "glass". How it's relatively weak vs normal armor, can be smashed by impacts, seeing enemy mechwarrior's faces through their canopies, how it protects from the blinding light of weapon impacts, or how any crack in the glass could prove fatal in underwater or vacuum environments. But of course it's not really glass but some type of transparent armor ("ferroglass", diamond+polymer layers, etc) that is also coated to prevent light from lasers and ppc's from burning out the pilot's eyeballs.

The cockpit glass being weak seems to also justify why an assault mech has the same max head armor as a light.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I feel like if mechs had the whole "camera to monitor" setup, we'd hear a lot more about junkers equipped with fuzzy black and white screens like starter the Steel Battalion mech.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Also I think there was a Kurita pilot that straight skewered someone through the 'mech's canopy. I wanna say it was in a novel? May have been a story another player told me, can't really remember

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I seem to remember the same from the Jade Pheonix trilogy. Aiden fires his last rounds in one of his trials while he's flat on his back and nearly defeated and rolls a crit penetrates his opponent's cockpit on a moon, killing his opponent through exposure.

Considering that the game was originally Battledroids (until LucasArts CD'd that name) and the mechs were all supposed to be robots, some confusion on where, exactly, the human is sitting can be understood. Pretty sure that's also the source for most of the scale confusion in the setting. This Stinger has a tiny window compared to the Battlemaster with it's full head greenhouse, despite the Battlemaster being 4 times what that Stinger weighs.

But, the cockpits are located in the head, and are all the same size according to the rules.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I seem to remember the same from the Jade Pheonix trilogy. Aiden fires his last rounds in one of his trials while he's flat on his back and nearly defeated and rolls a crit penetrates his opponent's cockpit on a moon, killing his opponent through exposure.

Considering that the game was originally Battledroids (until LucasArts CD'd that name) and the mechs were all supposed to be robots, some confusion on where, exactly, the human is sitting can be understood. Pretty sure that's also the source for most of the scale confusion in the setting. This Stinger has a tiny window compared to the Battlemaster with it's full head greenhouse, despite the Battlemaster being 4 times what that Stinger weighs.

But, the cockpits are located in the head, and are all the same size according to the rules.

A person could squeeze inside a roughly 4x4x4 ft box of a cockpit. And if you scale that box to human head proportions, would give you a humanoid mech around 11 meters high. And a more generous 6x6x6 ft cockpit would be a humaniod mech around 16.5 meters tall, which aligns pretty closely with the height ranges seen in Battletech.

• Options
    For comparison the cockpit of an F-22 is about 11x4x2 feet. Of course it is full of shit too, keep in mind.

However, if it was to stand upright it'd be around 19 meters tall.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    For comparison the cockpit of an F-22 is about 11x4x2 feet. Of course it is full of shit too, keep in mind.

You're just trying to trick us into talking about LAM's.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »

You're just trying to trick us into talking about LAM's.

Well now that you mention it. . . .

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    A mech with a fake cockpit with lots of glass and a real cockpit somewhere else would be funny. Like, take the battlemaster and put the cockpit in the CT but leave the oversized glass ball head.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    There are actually rules for torso mounted cockpits, but they also have their own drawbacks:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Torso_Cockpit

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    A mech with a fake cockpit with lots of glass and a real cockpit somewhere else would be funny. Like, take the battlemaster and put the cockpit in the CT but leave the oversized glass ball head.

We already had that...
    latest?cb=20140216174233

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    (Semi-Crossposting from the Painting Thread)

I finished this new lance of Battletech miniatures up earlier this week. From left to right, a Cyclops, a Goliath, a custom sculpt I'm calling the "Tsar" Nightstar, and a Battlemaster. Replete in Lyran Guard scheme and colors, I've finally satisfied my own need to have a distinctly-obvious lance for each of the five Great Houses.

ObkD1pyh.jpg

I really like the MWO version of the Nightstar, and I reeeeeeaaaaaallllllly HATE the existing Ral Partha/IWM sculpt (I cannot fucking wait to get the new Kickstarter model, it looks HOT). I stumbled onto an idea on the official forums for using a CAV Nightshade Bones model as the basis for a better-looking Nightstar, so I set to work.

Using the body of the Nightshade, I built it out using styrene sheet and Milliput by hand. Then I drafted some artwork in Inkscape for the additional parts: the torso "shoulders" and top, the arms (minus the long gun barrels, also from the Nightshade) and hands, and everything below the waist. Then off to my Glowforge to cut parts! Voila!

y8xvepzh.jpg

You're PROBABLY thinking "Gee, that looks big." And you'd be totally and completely right. I goofed! When I was hand-crafting the torso, I was paying more attention to its internal scale, and absolutely zero attention to it's scale relative to....well, anything. So it looks like an MWO model, because it uses those dimensions....but then the whole torso ended up a third too large in every dimension relative to the scale of even the biggest Classic sculpt 'Mech!

So let me spin you a micro-tale: A minor-but-very-rich Social General of the Lyran Commonwealth, astride his ancestral Nightstar, couldn't help but get his ride shot out from under himself repeatedly over the course of decades. Through absolute dumb luck the 'Mech was dragged off of the battlefield and salvageable each time. And each time this minor-but-wealthy noble, and dabbler in historical studies, demanded that his ancestral 'Mech be reinforced and rebuilt, growing it in size and stature a little more with each trip to the repair bay. The techs and engineers protested, but the Social General was adamant...and paying their salaries.

And thus was born the "Tsar" Nightstar. I'm imagining that by the time it was retired, the "Tsar" was pushing the 110 ton mark....and showing its Absolutely Illegal game status through a litany of lower-torso actuator failures.

(And also, of course, I totally missed that I need to paint the laser lenses on the tops of the arms. Whoops! Gonna go fix that....)

More close-ups under the spoiler:
    Mv4yVjbh.jpg
    KMthpx8h.jpg
    KeHgy0Wh.jpg
    sOvFEsOh.jpg
    b70iD39h.jpg
    ko3aXUoh.jpg
    9rOLkoyh.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Absolutely enraged at how completely normal and not weird at all the new Howler looks
    nu9g3duaqcm6.jpg

• Options
    Nothing too bad in this round, Pack Hunter feels like it’s for a different universe though.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Nothing too bad in this round, Pack Hunter feels like it’s for a different universe though.

I think I know why, actually:
    3v3pabnwjt36.jpg
    0b14fpk9j3p5.jpg
    No canopy.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    The Pack Hunter and Hellion seem like strange inclusions given that they came out later than the rest. I guess the Clan Invasion era does go all the way to '67.

Also if we don't get a Bane imma be sad about it.

• Options
    The Pack Hunter and Hellion seem like strange inclusions given that they came out later than the rest. I guess the Clan Invasion era does go all the way to '67.

Also if we don't get a Bane imma be sad about it.

I mean, we know the whole list for the Kickstarted 'Mechs, soooooo......

I'm sorry for your sadness. I'm sad right there with you.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Well, I mean someday.

I want my King Crab IIC, dammit!

• Options
    FINALLY got my canon character backer survey.

Decided to take the KS credit, if they let me, I may try to pick up more swag.

• Options
    More stuff can never be argued against. 😁

I've been on an eBay binge lately, but there's a bug in the back of my brain reminding me a bunch of Stompy Bots are not that far away, and I don't need more Bots.

That bug is only slightly getting the job done. 🤣

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    When do we actually expect to get robots? I was assuming with everything going on that next year at the earliest is likely.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Given that CGL's gotten white-box proofs, I think we're closer to the first delivery than not. I'm holding out hope for Wave 1 before the end of the year; Wave 2 is absolutely certainly not getting here until probably late Q2 next year.

In other words, no one knoooooooows!

Nips on
  • Options
    I am painting my old sculpt metal Mad Dog right now, and having dropped it three fucking times already tonight and having bent the gun barrels on it each fucking time, god damnit!

The resculpt plastic figure cannot get here soon enough. :angry:

• Options
    Nips wrote: »
    I am painting my old sculpt metal Mad Dog right now, and having dropped it three fucking times already tonight and having bent the gun barrels on it each fucking time, god damnit!

You should leave the guns bent all Yosemite Sam like.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Ugh. My OCD refuses!

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

The Maddog doesnt have jumpjets, its not meant to fly like that.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I've got three cases of duct tape and a pile of replacement jump jets that say any mech can fly like that once.

• Options

Ever fall off of the top of HPG down to the bottom in MWO?

It was definitely a piloting failure/forced push. Repeatedly.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Ugh. My OCD refuses!

Wait, you have a kid and she hasn't broken your OCD yet? What sort of kid do you have?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Update #120: Delays & Deadlines (post #2 updated with more info)

Here's the current timetable on Wave 1 shipping
    August 1st: start shipping to the logistics Hubs
    August 16th: final shipment to the logistics Hubs.
    September 1-15th: all product arriving in all logistics Hubs.
    September 15th-30th: all product collated and beginning to ship to backers.
    September 21st - October 31st: Backers receiving Wave 1 worldwide!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    On a whim I picked up the beginner box because I've always liked big stompy robutts. How is there like 40 years of lore that everybody seems to know everything about? How do I even paint these damn things if I can't be sure I'm not painting up some established lore house/clan/whatever? It's exasperating.

Where do I start?

For the record the last time I paid any attention to Battletech was when I was playing The Crescent Hawk's Inception in DOS on a 4 color CGA monitor in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-fucking-eight.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    On a whim I picked up the beginner box because I've always liked big stompy robutts. How is there like 40 years of lore that everybody seems to know everything about? How do I even paint these damn things if I can't be sure I'm not painting up some established lore house/clan/whatever? It's exasperating.

Where do I start?

For the record the last time I paid any attention to Battletech was when I was playing The Crescent Hawk's Inception in DOS on a 4 color CGA monitor in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-fucking-eight.

we know the lore because we are peak grognards and its a game that has survived by sheer fan willpower for decades.

As far as paint goes, just slap whatever you want on them. My favorite is to just put on a generic camo scheme. I dont worry about units too much.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

Where do I start?

we know the lore because we are peak grognards and its a game that has survived by sheer fan willpower for decades.

As far as paint goes, just slap whatever you want on them. My favorite is to just put on a generic camo scheme. I dont worry about units too much.

Fluorescent pink works as well. Actually all the fluorescent colors. It was the 80s so fluorescent color jobs would be fitting.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    There’s a unit/faction camo guide out there somewhere