As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just got my first win as Loba today, just wanted to clear my dailies and did some matches with Octane/Loba and damn, it's just one of those days that everything just works: throwing a launchpad, using it to get behind the enemy while nailing all your shots airborne, downing people left and right, using loba's tactical to do the same and getting equally good results. Why can't I play like this everyday? :P

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Speaking of bugs, me and my usual Apex buddies have been wondering whether we're encountering one or are just blind...

It seems to us that frequently when dropping, we don't see any other drop contrails. But then, upon landing we encounter 1 or potentially more teams. Which of course catches us off guard, looting greedily and separately.

It's entirely possible that they or myself are just failing completely when scouting out the skies during the drop, but it seems to happen often enough that we've started questioning it.

Campy on
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Speaking of bugs, me and my usual Apex buddies have been wondering whether we're encountering one or are just blind...

It seems to us that frequently when dropping, we don't see any other drop contrails. But then, upon landing we encounter 1 or potentially more teams. Which of course catches us off guard, looting greedily and separately.

It's entirely possible that they or myself are just failing completely when scouting out the skies during the drop, but it seems to happen often enough that we've started questioning it.

It's always seemed a little wonky but I feel like some times it's because people either drop super early and then dive hard and around to your location OR super late when you are distracted yourself.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    squall99x wrote: »

It's always seemed a little wonky but I feel like some times it's because people either drop super early and then dive hard and around to your location OR super late when you are distracted yourself.

I guess that's a possible explanation, but the drop jets (or whatever they are) are loud as fook, so you'd think we'd hear them.

I've actually setup nvidia recording now to try and catch this in action.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I feel like that's happened to me multiple times as well Campy. I've just taken to always be on my guard on drops tbh.

Also I feel bad for sleeping on the Spitfire for this long. I'm not great at shooters so the super large clip size really helps me with 1v1s.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    The Spitfire is okay. It was my favorite gun when I started, but its dps seems pretty low and it's tough to aim. Close range, I'd rather have a shotgun, and at a distance I want an AR, a 301 or Hemlock.

I like that there's so few guns that are outright bad in this game.

This might be my best match yet:

uh23yjadro6g.png

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    omg lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The Spitfire is okay. It was my favorite gun when I started, but its dps seems pretty low and it's tough to aim. Close range, I'd rather have a shotgun, and at a distance I want an AR, a 301 or Hemlock.

I like that there's so few guns that are outright bad in this game.
    It's got lower burst DPS than ARs, yeah. But, if you're having trouble with emptying your AR mag without getting a kill, the Spitfire is there for you.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    stories from solo q

the literal sweatiest game of my apex career

we drop Mirage Voyage and win the brawl and then rotate to train station, which happens to be the dead center of the first two rings

our Bloodhound apparently gets a vault key and then gets super greedy and rushes into open it, running 1v3 into a team. he gets killed and then promptly quits, leaving lifeline and I, who ran in to try to save his ass, in the lurch. We push in to the vault but the team that killed Bloodhound is to the south watching the doors. so we're stuck, dodging grenades and bullets, slowly running out of healing/ammo with the two of us sharing ammo and healing items like two stranded soldiers are wont to do. Then things get worse.

Another team shows up to the north from Train yard, getting into what is the sweatiest Mexican standoff i've ever experienced, where the lifeline and I are just shooting at people who try to push up past the vault door while still stuck because we can't go north or south. this goes on for literally 5 minutes, i'm out of shield cells and down to just 27 bullets in my hemlok (i dropped the rest of my dwindling stockpile for the lifeline). finally, we catch a break. the team to the north breaks off since more teams are coming in from circle. we run north, dodging sniper shots from the team to the south, and catch the tail end of a teamfight with two surviving teams, 1 trying to revive in the big building at train yard and 1 off somewhere licking their wounds. we jump them with the frenzied thirst only a team which has nothing left can have and manage to get both teams with good flanking and the assist from the other team. it's time to frantically loot, even taking ring damage just to get a few extra bits of ammo/shielding.

Ring 4 is slowly closing out to the river/rocks between Train Yard and Mirage Voyage, so we run south to see another teamfight going on between 2-3 teams. we skirt the edges trying to get into circle until a team tries to step to us in the middle of the brawl and we manage to take them out while the brawl concludes, bringing down the total to us and 1 other team. as we squeeze into ring 4/5 the other team has managed to get up high onto the rocks in the circle, probably by the jump balloon which is now unavailable due to ring. after a bit of poking at each other, it comes down to a 2v2 between us and a Mirage/Wraith. we manage to push on the wraith who wasn't all the way up on the cliffside and i down her with Mastiff shots, and then we get the Mirage to win.

i type "nvr give up" and lifeline responds
    unknown.png?width=1160&height=588

Orphane on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I should've screenshotted it, but I had a Crypto game the other day which was basically me and a teammate doing about 1600 damage each, him getting 12 kills and me getting 1.

Normally I'd have been annoyed, but after the initial "pick up a gun and blaze" step I informed him in chat "I am an assist machine this game!" and apparently that was one of those say-it-it's-true things.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Do cheaters have a way to restore shields without batteries/cells/whatever? Last game I played, right at the end, I was spectating a teammate after getting killed with 1 team left. He crouched behind some cover with the other teammate and his shield returned, but I didn't see a bat in his hands. I figured it was possible it was a glitch (I mean, he almost certainly *had* bats, and although it seemed quick for him to get the shield back I figured maybe he was doing some pro thing where you're still moving while the bat is working) so I didn't report him. He also said something about there only being one good player left in the field, which... I didn't know it was possible to know what other teams are in game with you.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Spectating is often buggy and not always synced correctly, would be my guess

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Also if the team had a Wattson ult, you'll repeatedly "crack" their armor as the keep regenerating the first tick of shields.

Edit: derp I read that as your teammate was shooting an opponent who suddenly got shields back... Feel free to disregard. :redface:

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    I forget whether you see inventory-ing when you spectate. They could also have grabbed a shield from a deathbox or somesuch.

cB557 wrote: »
    I forget whether you see inventory-ing when you spectate. They could also have grabbed a shield from a deathbox or somesuch.

Yeah, you won't see an inventory while spectating someone. I think you should hear a swap sound when they put the fresh armour on though.

Hit swapping mid fight is something I've been trying to improve on as of late. Obviously its super powerful if you can pull it off mid fight.

If you've got time to setup late game, it can even be worth looting multiple armours and dropping them into various hidey holes.

Also, regarding the player count. It is possible to extrapolate from the number of teams left counter, the player number counter going to ? when there's less than 10 players left and the kill feed.

that was definitely an interesting wrap up to the season 5 quest and a nice teaser for season 6

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Yeah, you won't see an inventory while spectating someone. I think you should hear a swap sound when they put the fresh armour on though.

Hit swapping mid fight is something I've been trying to improve on as of late. Obviously its super powerful if you can pull it off mid fight.

If you've got time to setup late game, it can even be worth looting multiple armours and dropping them into various hidey holes.

I 100% lost a match last night to a team hot-swapping armor. And the general reluctance of people to reposition before the ring closes letting said team do it unmolested by anything but my Havoc beam spam.

It's a really good hot-drop move, too. On a good one I'll often go through a couple gray shields.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

won 2 out of 6 games yesterday that i played with my friends, both solid games where we just outshot and outpositioned the last few squads to take the win

just called it after the last game we won because really, it was gonna be all downhill from there

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I don't think I have won a game since the event/ranked split. I have no idea why things are failing now compared to earlier in the season, other than SBMM thinking I am waaaay bettet than I actually am.

Auralynx wrote: »

I 100% lost a match last night to a team hot-swapping armor. And the general reluctance of people to reposition before the ring closes letting said team do it unmolested by anything but my Havoc beam spam.

It's a really good hot-drop move, too. On a good one I'll often go through a couple gray shields.
    I've got a video I'm still kinda proud of of a game where my entire team left pre-drop and I landed at an airbase contested by another squad. I manged to beat the entire squad by myself by swapping through like, three different sets of white armor.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I have noticed I get owned while dropping with PA guys, but as soon as I random queue I get an awesome W as caustic.

Apparently I still belong at a lower skill level. That or performance anxiety.

steam_sig.png
    I don't think I have won a game since the event/ranked split. I have no idea why things are failing now compared to earlier in the season, other than SBMM thinking I am waaaay bettet than I actually am.

I definitely feel like I've had more good days than bad days in-game recently, and I have a theory. Basically, there's a peak of new/returning casual players at the start of a season, but they slowly drop off as the season continues. So I'm probably "above average" at the start of the season when there's all the less-practiced folks running around. But since I only play for 5-10 hours a week, I don't improve enough over the course of the season to keep pace with that average and I start doing worse and worse.

I'm about to finish my season pass and then I'll probably be taking a break for a little while, so hopefully when I do I'll be nice and refreshed to snag some chicken dinners in Season 6.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Last week I got a double legendary pack (or was it two packs in a row...?) and got two Gibraltar banner frames (fish and tiki)...
    I already had the weird digital border one that's easily the worst, so at least it was a new upgrade.

Today there's a new limited sale thing and you can get a charm, a legendary pack, and 7 rare packs for 700 coins. That left me exactly enough coins for the next season pass, great!

...take a wild guess what was in my legendary pack... :evil:
    I now own 4/6 of Gib's legendary banner frames. I DON'T NEED THEM ALL PLZ GAEM

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I don't know if it messes with the game somehow, but I do wish that banners and poses could be favourite'd and random'd just like skins can be. I can see why they might not want badges and trackers behaving like that, but even as a newer player I'm starting to accrue a bit of a collection.

I can only imagine what it's like for players who've got 5 more seasons and *deity* knows how many more events under their belts.

I may have made a questionable financial choice and snagged the 70 and 25 apex pack caches. Got 7 Legendaries across them (though 1 was just crafting parts), but it was a raw pile of trackers and voice lines and skins and frames and more, plus a couple thousand crafting materials to start me on the path towards a healthy supply for the Halloween and Christmas events (I am a sucker for seasonal themed stuff, and based on the Lost Treasures event, even with a major nest egg of them, I'll have to very carefully pick one or two items I really want and just accept you can't have 'em all).

Considering the "1 in 30 is guaranteed to be Legendary", I thought I made out fairly well. One pack had double Legendaries even.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Some days, my reflexes are on point.

https://youtu.be/uUdHLGrREsk

Satsumomo wrote: »
    Some days, my reflexes are on point.

https://youtu.be/uUdHLGrREsk

DANG SON

sometimes the 2 other remaining squads just hand you the win and i'm okay with that

we won the 4 team brawl at airbase and headed east, basically getting in a fight with a team at each settlement as we got to river, and then we heard 2nd and 3rd fighting as we grabbed a care package and the ring started closing. we run a bit further east out of circle and see them trying to run from the ring all banged up when we were completely fresh off our won fight and....just cleaned them up

unknown.png?width=1159&height=575

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Two nights in a row I've lazily strolled to a win in Trios, once because my team carried me as I derped along and once because we barely saw anyone before the end. It's fun to win but I feel weird when I don't feel like I earned it, which I should just get over I guess because it's payback for every drop where terrible luck takes over and I immediately get got.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Two nights in a row I've lazily strolled to a win in Trios, once because my team carried me as I derped along and once because we barely saw anyone before the end. It's fun to win but I feel weird when I don't feel like I earned it, which I should just get over I guess because it's payback for every drop where terrible luck takes over and I immediately get got every time I choose where to drop.

Much more concise way of saying what you said

That's hurtful, Jay is the verified hot-dropper of the group, I just have terrible luck. Terrible!

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I agree, wholeheartedly. It never fails that wherever you choose for us to drop we get amazingly screwed almost immediately

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I have played 3 games this week - Lifeline, then Loba, then Lifeline again.

I magically was on teams that won all 3.

However, since I switched between my quasi-mains, I didn't get the badge for two wins in a row with a character, and it outlandishly annoys me to no end.

I know I will lose the next match with Lifeline!

edited August 2020
    Having spent most of the season maining Mirage, I've gotta say my favorite buff they gave him was the cloaking during revives. I've had half a dozen games where I started reviving, an enemy ran right past me, and my refreshed ally and I shotgun them in the back immediately afterwards. It's not a common occurrence, but it sure does feel amazing.

Terrendos on
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Having spent most of the season maining Mirage, I've gotta say my favorite buff they gave him was the cloaking during revives. I've had half a dozen games where I started reviving, an enemy ran right past me, and my refreshed ally and I shotgun them in the back immediately afterwards. It's not a common occurrence, but it sure does feel amazing.

They even gave that passive a minor nerf about half way through the season. From some short distance (15 feet maybe?!) the 'field emitters' on Mirage's outfit will be partly visible.

They're hard to pick out in the heat of a fight though, so most people wills till stroll right past them TO THEIR DOOOOOOM.

New event next week, the return of Always Be Closing. I like this one, it's fun and dumb.

I think I missed that the first time, so I was kinda excited that it was coming back, but then it said evolved. I really have not enjoyed the way "all evo shields" has affected other game modes.

I personally like it, it definitely reduces the camping, and it really made me not avoid fights so much.