As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'd say it's more a combination of the controller being too expensive to manufacture, a relative lack of games (Nintendo's own output was light that gen, especially with Rare stuff now unavailable), and the thought that there would be less affection for that awkward generation.

Never really thought about the n64 having a lack of games, but now that you mention it, the only games I really got into were mario 64 and paper mario, and even then that was pretty late in that gen. Although I was more of a PS1 kid.

I used to say even back when I worked in games retail (GC/PS2/XB era) that there weren't all that many really good games on the N64... but the ones that were, were some of the best games ever made.

An N64 can easily be justified by a surprisingly small collection.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Bonk's Revenge complete! The controls aren't great, the hit detection is weird, and there's a little delay/Bonk feels heavy, but it's a fun game. The game starts off easy, but by the 4th stage the difficulty ramps up quite a bit. It's also one of those games where you can extend your health bar, but if you die, they only give you 3 hearts back instead of the full amount. This is a bit nerve wracking because sometimes you just can't get any healing items, making your extra hearts worthless.

Completed so far on the Turbografx-16 mini:
    1. Legend of the Valkyrie
    2. Neutopia 2
    3. Ys Books 1 and 2
    4. Fantasy Zone
    5. Bonk's Revenge

Aw, you played Bonk's Revenge before Bonk's Adventure. It'll probably be harder to go back to the first one after playing Revenge. In case you're unaware, Bonk's Adventure is only on the Japanese side of the system and is called PC Genjin there.

I don't have a Turbografx-16 Mini, but I've been playing a lot of Alien Crush lately. I know that I always mention how annoying it is that they put Alien Crush on the mini and not Devil's Crush, but I'm actually getting a lot of enjoyment out of it now. I even managed to come in 4th place overall on the game's leaderboards at RetroAchievements, which is cool.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Bonk's Revenge complete! The controls aren't great, the hit detection is weird, and there's a little delay/Bonk feels heavy, but it's a fun game. The game starts off easy, but by the 4th stage the difficulty ramps up quite a bit. It's also one of those games where you can extend your health bar, but if you die, they only give you 3 hearts back instead of the full amount. This is a bit nerve wracking because sometimes you just can't get any healing items, making your extra hearts worthless.

2. Neutopia 2
    3. Ys Books 1 and 2
    4. Fantasy Zone
    5. Bonk's Revenge

Aw, you played Bonk's Revenge before Bonk's Adventure. It'll probably be harder to go back to the first one after playing Revenge. In case you're unaware, Bonk's Adventure is only on the Japanese side of the system and is called PC Genjin there.

I don't have a Turbografx-16 Mini, but I've been playing a lot of Alien Crush lately. I know that I always mention how annoying it is that they put Alien Crush on the mini and not Devil's Crush, but I'm actually getting a lot of enjoyment out of it now. I even managed to come in 4th place overall on the game's leaderboards at RetroAchievements, which is cool.

I knew it was the sequel, but I didn't think there would be that big of a quality difference. PC Genjin is definitely not as good.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    PC Genjin complete. Yeah, I'd just skip straight to Bonk's Revenge unless you are curious. The level design is boring for the most part and the final level is a huge pain in the ass. I was like, I have to keep re-fighting the bosses over and over on every continue without any items?! Then I started checking for hidden items and lo' and behold...healing items and extra lives after each boss. I quote AVGN: "WHY IS EVERYTHING SO CRYPTIC?!". It's done now. The list grows:

2. Neutopia 2
    3. Ys Books 1 and 2
    4. Fantasy Zone
    5. Bonk's Revenge
    6. PC Genjin

On another note, I bought 2 Retrobit 6-button Genesis controllers since Best Buy had them on sale for $10 each (and I have a best buy gift card, even better). I tried them out today, they are good, especially for the $10 price. No idea about longevity though and I probably won't be hammering these much for it to be an issue in the long run. The outside has a more matte feel and a little lighter/less firm than my original 6-button controller and definitely doesn't feel as good my Joyzz by Krikzz (which is faaaar more expensive and is wireless and connects to original hardware), but this is pretty good for the price.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The Kung Fu/China Warrior complete! I needed A LOT of continues (without continues it would take forever or be nearly impossible). Now I'm running through it on "act 2" (which is just harder/more shit coming at you). The game isn't that good but I wanna beat it the 2nd mode too, haha. Basically, the game is all memorization and the bosses either have a pattern you can exploit or just hope you get lucky (like I have no clue what strategies to use against doppleganger Bruce Lee). A lot of the bosses will pause for a second before they attack you, so you can repeatedly punch them as they get into a pose. This strategy works on a majority of the bosses. Or go in quickly, through an attack, and move out. This worked fairly well against the final boss. Against doppleganger Bruce Lee though, fuck...I have no clue still.

Updated list:
    2. Neutopia 2
    3. Ys Books 1 and 2
    4. Fantasy Zone
    5. Bonk's Revenge
    6. PC Genjin
    7. The Kung Fu/China Warrior

EDIT: Act2 of The Kung Fu/China Warrior complete!

TelMarine on
  • Options
    New Adventure Island complete. This game was disappointing to me. First of all, Adventure Island 2 is a much better game with much more depth. Second, the game is nearly all memorization. If it wasn't for the infinite continues (I probably used between 20 and 30), this game would be really fucking hard, but it's still difficult. There's a lot of cheap enemy and hazards placement (Adventure Island 2 also had this) and of course you need to rush because of the dwindling timer. The bosses on the other hand, are fairly easy. Even the final boss was a push over (getting to the final boss was far more difficult).

2. Neutopia 2
    3. Ys Books 1 and 2
    4. Fantasy Zone
    5. Bonk's Revenge
    6. PC Genjin
    8. New Adventure Island

• Options
    The official extra controller showed up for my PCE CG Mini yesterday. (Even the acronym is long.) Nice to know it's there. Still a little daft that it didn't come with two originally, and that the official extra ones don't come in CG or TG-16 colour schemes.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    New Adventure Island complete. This game was disappointing to me. First of all, Adventure Island 2 is a much better game with much more depth. Second, the game is nearly all memorization. If it wasn't for the infinite continues (I probably used between 20 and 30), this game would be really fucking hard, but it's still difficult. There's a lot of cheap enemy and hazards placement (Adventure Island 2 also had this) and of course you need to rush because of the dwindling timer. The bosses on the other hand, are fairly easy. Even the final boss was a push over (getting to the final boss was far more difficult).

2. Neutopia 2
    3. Ys Books 1 and 2
    4. Fantasy Zone
    5. Bonk's Revenge
    6. PC Genjin
    8. New Adventure Island

New Adventure Island looks sort of like a remake of the original Adventure Island. I recently played through that one on the NES and holy hell it was a nightmare, especially the final levels.

(The first Adventure Island itself is just a reskin of the first Wonder Boy game -- those two series have a fascinating lineage)

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The official extra controller showed up for my PCE CG Mini yesterday. (Even the acronym is long.) Nice to know it's there. Still a little daft that it didn't come with two originally, and that the official extra ones don't come in CG or TG-16 colour schemes.

Yeah I agree that I wished they sold the extras in the different styles. At least ratio them to be equal to the amount of different versions they shipped out.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    This is interesting. Some games, if you hold Select before starting them on the Turbografx-16 mini give you an alternate version of the game (usually with upgraded graphics/sound). However, when you do this on Gradius 2, you seem to get some sort of error message (can't read it since it's in Japanese).

• Options
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Looks like stock already vanished and its back up to $50.

At least the sell-out point of these seems to be double the PS Classic...

• Options
    You though Sega was done with minis? Oh hell no.

dims?thumbnail=640%2C&quality=95&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fos%2Fcreatr-uploaded-images%2F2020-07%2F33f935d0-c048-11ea-bf77-f165fc3fdf59&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=670fc8746cec1711e0a854ec134cf95ab299c92f

Meet the Astro City Mini. Engadget among others seem to be pulling info from a Japanese article on Game Watch. If you don't want to squint at the tiny screen, it does have an HDMI port and USB-A inputs so, it can probably be used as a TV console with a bit of work.

Here's a list of games revealed so far, out of 36 total:

Alien Storm
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
    Columns II
    Dark Edge
    Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
    Virtua Fighter
    Fantasy Zone
    Altered Beast

Revenge of Death Adder stands out here because its never been ported to any home system before. That alone could be worth the price, but we could be looking at quite a few actual arcade ROMs here.

This unit looks to sell for around $120 near the end of the year in Japan. Get your imports ready.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Oh nice, another one like the NeoGeo with a uselessly small and cramped joystick setup.

• Options
  • Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Oh nice, another one like the NeoGeo with a uselessly small and cramped joystick setup.

you aren't supposed to play it on that though, that's just for show. you wire it through HDMI to your TV and use add on sticks or pads. it's not a bad item, and it looks cooler on the shelf which is the main purpose. I'll take one and two controllers!

• Options

you aren't supposed to play it on that though, that's just for show. you wire it through HDMI to your TV and use add on sticks or pads. it's not a bad item, and it looks cooler on the shelf which is the main purpose. I'll take one and two controllers!

I only play my NeoGeo on the system. Yeah it is small, but I still find it fun and sort of nostalgic. So yeah I complain about it being small, but I only play it that way. One of these days I'll get a controller and attach it to the TV and see how much better it is.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

I only play my NeoGeo on the system. Yeah it is small, but I still find it fun and sort of nostalgic. So yeah I complain about it being small, but I only play it that way. One of these days I'll get a controller and attach it to the TV and see how much better it is.

Well it doesn't help that the NeoGeo mini's HDMI output is blurred trash. Hopefully Sega does a better job there.

• Options

Well it doesn't help that the NeoGeo mini's HDMI output is blurred trash. Hopefully Sega does a better job there.

Oh? That sucks. Maybe I won't be connecting it to a TV then! HAHAHAHA!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm still kind of sad I didn't grab a Neo Geo X back when that was a thing (even if the technology and the library selection were both near-crippled).

Instead I have the dock as a fancy case for my RetroPi setup (that took months of annoying experimentation and help from @Betsuni to get working properly).

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

you aren't supposed to play it on that though, that's just for show. you wire it through HDMI to your TV and use add on sticks or pads.
    In that case you're paying for pointless hardware.

forty on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I didn't think it was bad.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

Cool, back on the TV it is. Honestly I probably should just connect it one of these days and see how it looks to me. Just haven't had the time to do it yet. I do love that it sits there and looks like a mini arcade unit on my desk (which is probably what they were aiming for).

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options
      redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Cool, back on the TV it is. Honestly I probably should just connect it one of these days and see how it looks to me. Just haven't had the time to do it yet. I do love that it sits there and looks like a mini arcade unit on my desk (which is probably what they were aiming for).

The TV isn't all that bad and all these mini consoles, especially the arcade ones, are meant to be displayed more than anything as it's not like you don't have the games on multiple other things already by now. SNK also makes an arcade stick that you just wire to the TV, and they deliberately sell "limited" editions of the mini cabs themed after SS characters so you can pokemon them in your display area.

• Options
      Bomberman '93 is a little tough. The first boss was pwning me big time. Probably needed 8 lives or so to finally beat him.

• Options
      augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    • Options
      KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
      I got an hdmi connector for my N64. Hope it still works. I might get a replacement for my atomic purple controller. What were some cool controller colors?

The ice color looks good. There is the Brawler 64 controller that seems to be well made.

• Options
      KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
      edited July 2020

Yeah. Someone needs to mod in a pixel perfect mode.

Krathoon on
    • Options
      edited July 2020
      My copy of Baggers in Space for the Spectrum Next showed up! Nice to have something cheerful happen.

zl6wtzbopel3.jpg

It's sort of an expansion on the concept of the great early Spectrum game Jet Pac (which some of you may recall from Jet Pac Refuelled on the Xbox 360, which later reappeared in Rare Replay on the Xbox One). My Next has been unused for a while as craptacular IRL events have taken precedence, but I'll have to hook it up again at some point soon and give Baggers a whirl. Programmer, near-genius and all-round good egg Jim Bagley is the titular character, sort of.

Jazz on
    • Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      ...what's a bagger?

My American brain is imagining minimum wage workers who have to put groceries in bags. In space.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      Just a play on Jim Bagley's last name. Bagley/Baggers.

• Options
      That box looks huge. Or is it just a camera trick?

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options

DVD size case for an SD card. Well, a microSD card in an SD card adapter, with cover art label.

• Options

DVD size case for an SD card. Well, a microSD card in an SD card adapter, with cover art label.

That's awesome. Well not the huge case, but that it is a case to hold a microSD card.

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options
      edited July 2020

That's awesome. Well not the huge case, but that it is a case to hold a microSD card.

It was the most economical case they could find, really. Rusty Pixels ( https://www.rustypixels.uk/ ) released three games at the same time; Baggers in Space, Tyvarian and Warhawk, all physical like this. I could only stretch to one of them, and so far they're all physical only (and even then only for pre-orders since the market is obviously so limited), but they should all get digital releases somewhere not too far down the line. They've already done a few others with digital releases, some of them free, like Crowley World Tour (a terrific Tetris clone) and a remake of Scramble. The Next's own software/firmware distro includes a demo of Warhawk too. Everything of theirs that I've played so far has been very polished and with excellent controls; very playable, as the term used to be.

Jazz on
    • Options
      Oh yeah I know that case is probably the cheapest one out there since it is common and doesn't have any copyrights or anything attached to it. A smaller case like a 3DS one or Switch one would have worked better, but required specialized crafting I'm sure. I guess they could have used a bluray case which is smaller than a DVD case though.

Anyways, that is cool to have a physical copy in the end. I actually have bought some Limited Run games to have a game case once again. Just something about the ability to have a physical copy is nice.

Speaking of that, I recently got the email that Atari is actually close to maybe shipping their Indigogo pre-orders. I know that things can still go sideways but it actually looks like they are going to get this thing to everybody who paid for them. I'm even more glad I cancelled my backer version before it locked since it seems that none of the games are loaded onto the system, they're all on the cloud service. The one thing that is intriguing to me is their new joystick. I might get one of those if I can use it for my PC.

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options
      Baggers in Space: tough with a keyboard, but not the game's fault. My muscle memory for QAOP & Space is not what it was. Must give it another go with a controller. Gets noticeably tougher on the second world; someone cleverer and with more time than I is going to need to make maps for this thing. (Remember when you got maps - like, drawn maps or ones assembled from screenshots - in magazines in the 8-bit era?)

Rather nicely, as the physical games were delayed getting out the door, they got extras included (which were unspecified at the time, to be a surprise). One of which, it turns out, is the game's soundtrack in MP3 format. Now I really wish I'd had the spare cash at the time to splurge on all three of the Rusty Pixels games, Warhawk in particular has a great soundtrack based on what I played of its demo. And these extras are only going to be on these physical releases, IIRC.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Not sure what thread this goes in: Lego NES

I'm going to grab one but if I can grab more should I get one for others here?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills