As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Sixth Sense 2: 7th Sense

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Sixth Sense 2: 7th Sense

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    There's a bunch of movies that went to, or are going, straight to streaming.

Trolls 2: World Tour
    Valley Girl (5/8/20)
    Capone (5/12/20)
    SCOOB! (5/15/20)
    The Lovebirds (Netflix 5/22/20)
    The High Note (5/29/20)
    The King of Staten Island (6/12/20)
    Artemis Fowl ( Disney+ 6/12/20)
    Irresistible (6/26/20)
    My Spy (Amazon Prime Video)
    An American Pickle (will now be released via HBO Max)
    Greyhound (Apple TV +)
    Run Sweetheart Run (will now be released via Amazon)
    Miss Juneteenth
    You Should Have Left
    Palm Springs
    Irresistible

etc... Wikipedia has a list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_not_released_in_theaters_due_to_the_COVID-19_pandemic

Of course, these aren't the type of movies this comic is talking about, aka big budget blockbusters. And the reason is because theatrical screenings still bring in hundreds of millions of dollars, in addition to the streaming revenue later on, and the direct-to-streaming films aren't bringing in near that amount of revenue.

• Options
    stadisticadostadisticado Registered User new member
    I am amused, but the Cinema experience isn't going away. It's easy to make these judgments because our brains are too myopic for the current moment. We think theatres are dead because we haven't been in four months and our brain feels like that equals forever. But six months from now? Decent chance things are relatively normal. Maybe the popcorn is in a sealed bag now? Maybe the building has a different name on it? Maybe they actually clean between screenings? But there are too many megabucks involved for the whole thing to just end.

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    This could be a tragedy in the making. Nolan's new film looks fantastic but nobody's going to be allowed into a theater to watch it.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Twelve Senses.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Well, one of the arguments about making these big movies not just go digital (meaning streaming/ppv rather than in theaters) is that you want to eventually start doing theater shit again, and the theaters are getting angry at people who try to break the normal deals. They don't want to come out of the pandemic holding a bunch of debt and also having less ways to make money than they did going into it.

That might become moot, though, as these theater chains are at risk of just going under. There's only so long you can do absolutely nothing while also still paying a lot of expenses.

But I feel like it's not really a zero sum game between stream/ppv and theaters. I feel like having both increases the total amount of business movies do. There are plenty of people that see it in the theater, then watch it later on streaming/ppv at home or buy it on some physical media if that's still a thing that exists. I think movie studios have a financial interest in keeping that larger revenue stream (aka cash pipe) fitted in place instead of lopping it off at the wrist.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I am amused, but the Cinema experience isn't going away. It's easy to make these judgments because our brains are too myopic for the current moment. We think theatres are dead because we haven't been in four months and our brain feels like that equals forever. But six months from now? Decent chance things are relatively normal. Maybe the popcorn is in a sealed bag now? Maybe the building has a different name on it? Maybe they actually clean between screenings? But there are too many megabucks involved for the whole thing to just end.

There's also the other ~96% of the world that isn't the United States--note, this is distinct from "not shut down or similar for public health safety" or even "major markets for American cinema." Before this happened, for decades, US filmmakers were trying to expand into "emerging markets" (which is a very predictable and understandable business-like thing to do)--this is how, over a couple decades, they shoved the Chinese and Indian domestic film markets, serving +billion populations that spoke shared but non-English languages, before said markets shoved back for a variety of similarly understandable reasons.

Nothing stops you from releasing blockbuster x in a country where cinemas are open or in the process of re-opening, and distributing it digitally in the United States were no cinemas are opened. But it does mean that the "large-screen ticket-selling cinema" economic model, unsuitable to the United States, does not completely cease to exist. Not when the major Hollywood players were already spending millions marketing films outside the United States alone, with mixed results (looking at you, Star Wars).

If in a year, theaters are still not open in the United States--you can be damn sure they will be open in Japan, China, and Taiwan (where they already are open)...at least sometimes if not fully and operating under strict new procedures.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    This made me laugh pretty hard. My wife also forgets movies really easily

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    As someone who gave away this spoiler in his highschool paper after that summer. Top notch comic.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WanderingSailorWanderingSailor Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Speaking purely anecdotally, some of us were avoiding the theater before it was cool. Between the industry's attempts to shoehorn 3D into movies and my own eternal apathy, I might have seen one or two films in the theater in twice as many years before COVID-19 put an asterisk next to the record. Completely different from when I was a kid: I actually saw the Phantom twice the summer it came out (It was unBELIEVABLLLEEEE!). My whole family's like this too: we'll get psyched for a movie that's coming out, proudly declare that we're going to go see it, then free days roll around and we just binge Netflix or Amazon Prime until said movie joins them in the cloud. Likening the industry to a dead man walking ghost who walks might be a stretch, but it's not by much and streaming technology is definitely what's doing it in.

Edit: Had to throw this in there, the "Always Sunny" episode "Thundergun 4: Maximum Cool" explored this topic completely and landed on the likely outcome: eternal piracy and streaming.

WanderingSailor on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    As someone who gave away this spoiler in his highschool paper after that summer. Top notch comic.

You monster

My favorite part about that movie is that I immediately thought, "Wait is he gonna be a ghost?" and then talked myself out of it over the course of the next hour. Made the reveal feel more like seeing an excellent card trick rather than just being buffaloed at 3 card monte

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I think people will return to the theaters if the movies are any damn good.

On that note, the top grossing film at the box office last week was The Empire Strikes Back.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Pretty much only ever went to see a movie every few weeks at most. Those are almost always spectacle type films. Otherwise our basement is dark, has a nice screen, is wired for surround sound, and has big comfy couches to lounge on which is more than sufficient to watch whatever comedy came out six months earlier.

If an Alamo Drafthouse ever opens up nearby that'd probably increase the frequency but until then there's not a ton of motivation on my end to pay a premium for a theater.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Maybe we'll see drive-ins make a comeback.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    If an Alamo Drafthouse ever opens up nearby that'd probably increase the frequency but until then there's not a ton of motivation on my end to pay a premium for a theater.

This got much less likely for me when I moved from Texas to Minnesota. :(

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I enjoy theatres for spectacle movies, myself. But I agree that they were a dying breed before All This, and several months of no revenue can't help. If theatres close, Hollywood can't really plan on theatrical releases. Our city of 100k is probably going to be without a theatre even if they are allowed to open back up. And theatres, just like restaurants and everything else have to plan around the very likely chance that after we "beat" Covid-19, we'll be dealing with Pandemic 2: The Streets.

Online shopping (or in this case, streaming) and social distancing are going to force traditional retailers to think about how they can adapt, and those that don't will continue to die.

I'm no expert, but I think if theatres want to still be a thing, they need to double down on being a great experience and appeal to a smaller group of cinephiles rather than trying to pack the seats. Big, comfy, *clean* chairs, great sound, etc. You'll lose the casual audience but I think they were going anyway.

Of course the foreign market might completely disrupt this and it's entirely possible that theatres die in America, but provide enough revenue overseas to make it worth theatrical releases even if it means most Americans have to wait longer to see American movies.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    dennis wrote: »

This got much less likely for me when I moved from Texas to Minnesota. :(

They're expanding! Well, not now. But there's one a mere 90 minutes away from me.

Quid on
  • Options

One in Baltimore serendipitously opened near us in March. They had to remain closed for a while since they were lumped in with the rest of the movie theaters but now they're showing showing films.

One of the neater things is instead of a speaker hanging on your car you instead tune in to a radio frequency broadcasting the audio.

• Options

One in Baltimore serendipitously opened near us in March. They had to remain closed for a while since they were lumped in with the rest of the movie theaters but now they're showing showing films.

One of the neater things is instead of a speaker hanging on your car you instead tune in to a radio frequency broadcasting the audio.

This is how my wife and I managed to see The Force Awakens even though she was still nursing our infant daughter. It was great to have a little privacy dome, both for her and to avoid disturbing the people around us. I would never take an infant to a movie (even without the scary loud noises) just because I wouldn't want to ruin it for other people. But this way, we could turn the audio down to a decent level and take care of her when necessary. It was great to be able to have that option.

Unfortunately, it was while on vacation visiting family so we couldn't do it as a regular thing. Oddly enough, it was the only real movie theater left in the fairly small town. So it was quite popular even before the pandemic. I can only imagine the business it's getting now.

• Options
    There's just a certain kind of headspace for people who watched the first blooms of the internet to just assume that new technology will destroy the old as soon as its unveiled. It's probably related to this tendency to publish stories about how millennials killed or canceled things. But the real fact of the matter is that most things that existed before the information technology boom have held on and adapted, whereas the things we've witnessed having the most turnover are missteps from the boom itself that popped into and out of existence like the dot com bubble.

https://youtu.be/ONZFkqzuMjI

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Drive ins seem like the perfect setting for old release movies.

Really I just like outdoor cinemas in general. A bit more freedom to talk instead of a crowded theater.

• Options
    LeptonLepton Registered User regular
    Drive ins seem like the perfect setting for old release movies.

Really I just like outdoor cinemas in general. A bit more freedom to talk instead of a crowded theater.

Not to mention you can do some cool stuff like run concessions through a phone app.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I don't mind if some movies skip the theater, but like some other people here, I do like to see the bigger blockbusters in the theater. I want to see "Black Widow" and "No Time to Die" on the big screen and I'm fine with waiting until that can happen. Basically anything MCU, James Bond, Star Wars, and Star Trek are big screen franchises for me. You'll note that DCEU wasn't in that list...I'm at the point where I'd be ok with straight to streaming for those. ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular

https://walmartdrive-in.com/

...yes.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    After Spectre I can't imagine paying to see another 007Craig outing

They've run that iteration into the ground

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

Wow. Crazy. The same tech that my drive-in in Bumblefuck, Nowhere, Canada used when I went to see Jurassic Park in 1993.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »

Wow. Crazy. The same tech that my drive-in in Bumblefuck, Nowhere, Canada used when I went to see Jurassic Park in 1993.

There's a drive-in here in Wichita that's been sustained mostly through donations/fundraisers the last few years. I wonder if they'll be able to go back to a more normal business model now. It is apparently pretty cool, and you could watch 3 different movies in a row fly absurdly cheap. But I never went. It's me, I'm the problem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Yeah. The drive-in in my town always did a double feature. The only problems at the time were that our car obviously couldn't have the air/heat on with the car off, but the mosquito problem made rolling the windows down annoying. So foggy windows or mini-vampires?

• Options
    This made me look up drive-ins around the Twin Cities area. Nearest one is 30 minutes away, the other about 45. Neither have 1st run movies (I know, a lot to ask, but the one out in the middle of the Alabama small town I went to had The Force Awakens right around its release. I looked it up now and apparently it's just reopened and also has older movies. I guess it's a lot to ask, considering the limit on how many cars they can fit in in a day. Especially since they're apparently only allowed to run at 50% capacity.

Oddly enough, both of the close drive-ins here are playing Iron Man. They're both twins, with one also showing Beauty and the Beast (live action) and the other showing Ghostbusters (the original).

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    This made me look up drive-ins around the Twin Cities area. Nearest one is 30 minutes away, the other about 45. Neither have 1st run movies (I know, a lot to ask, but the one out in the middle of the Alabama small town I went to had The Force Awakens right around its release. I looked it up now and apparently it's just reopened and also has older movies. I guess it's a lot to ask, considering the limit on how many cars they can fit in in a day. Especially since they're apparently only allowed to run at 50% capacity.

Oddly enough, both of the close drive-ins here are playing Iron Man. They're both twins, with one also showing Beauty and the Beast (live action) and the other showing Ghostbusters (the original).

Greetings neighbor. I never realized you were in the Twin Cities area. I'm in Eagan myself.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    StraypuftStraypuft Registered User new member
    I am pretty sure the main reason they arent releasing them to immediate streaming is that the movie company wont make that estimated ticket price of $40-$50 off of a family of 4 to watch it off of a single digital rental purchase.

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    While overly abstracted for comedic value, I don't find the central thesis of this strip to be anything controversial. The emergence of the global pandemic appears to have fundamentally altered the classic film distribution paradigm. But, several of the larger players have a continuing vested interest in that model and are actively ignoring the current realities while hanging onto the hope that they can return to business as usual in a few more months. We saw how violently AMC reacted to Universal releasing their Trolls film on VOD. Can you imagine the backlash if Disney choose to simply release the Black Widow film on Disney+?

v2micca on