As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I almost asked what sim that was till partway through. I love that video. So awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    erghg1nsqzcn.jpg

*insert metal gear solid ! noise*

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oooooh that is awesome!!! I can't wait for that to launch.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The clouds are indeed awesome

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to run it on medium at 20 fps.

• Options
    I can't wait to run it on medium at 20 fps.

Seeing how FSX came out 14 years ago, I have no problem scaling this game back, way back, super back to play on Xbox One X as needed. Or my aging PC to use my HOTAS.

• Options
    So, if there was ever a reason to resurrect this thread from the dead, this is it: more developments on Flight Simulator (2020).

First, the game is launching 18 August, or in other words, barely more than a month.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    And a release date for MSFS! Sooner than I expected--I'm still hoping for a beta invite myself.

So, some further details on this, that I'll probably copy over to the flight sim thread at some point: there will be three editions (not surprising, considering the absurd budget of the game combined with the decade-plus since the last commercial release in the franchise). There are also three differently-priced editions. The basic release will come in at $60 US and include 20 distinct aircraft and 30 "handcrafted" (rather than procedurally modeled) airports. The next version at $90 US includes 25 aircraft and 35 airports, and the most expensive version 30 aircraft and 40 airports. Given the history of the franchise, and where it is now, the basic edition is releasing with more aircraft than I expected.

Also, it's not coming to Steam at launch. That obviously doesn't rule out the future possibility of one, it just won't be coming out in August and Microsoft hasn't said when (compared to Gears 5, for example, or other first-party releases).

Also, if you're a Luddite like myself and/or want to save your internet bandwidth from the initial installation...yes, there will be a limiited-run physical release for Windows 10 which, because it is functionally identical to downloading the game on Xbox or PC, will still need internet to update the real-time world. It comes with 10 DVDs and a thick paper manual. God, I really want that.

No word on when (presumably) the Steam version will launch. It's possible we might be looking at a multi-year delay if Microsoft fully utilizes this to promote their console and Xbox in Windows 10 ecosystems, since the game will be coming to Game Pass.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    So, if there was ever a reason to resurrect this thread from the dead, this is it: more developments on Flight Simulator (2020).

First, the game is launching 18 August, or in other words, barely more than a month.
    And a release date for MSFS! Sooner than I expected--I'm still hoping for a beta invite myself.

So, some further details on this, that I'll probably copy over to the flight sim thread at some point: there will be three editions (not surprising, considering the absurd budget of the game combined with the decade-plus since the last commercial release in the franchise). There are also three differently-priced editions. The basic release will come in at $60 US and include 20 distinct aircraft and 30 "handcrafted" (rather than procedurally modeled) airports. The next version at $90 US includes 25 aircraft and 35 airports, and the most expensive version 30 aircraft and 40 airports. Given the history of the franchise, and where it is now, the basic edition is releasing with more aircraft than I expected.

Also, it's not coming to Steam at launch. That obviously doesn't rule out the future possibility of one, it just won't be coming out in August and Microsoft hasn't said when (compared to Gears 5, for example, or other first-party releases).

Also, if you're a Luddite like myself and/or want to save your internet bandwidth from the initial installation...yes, there will be a limiited-run physical release for Windows 10 which, because it is functionally identical to downloading the game on Xbox or PC, will still need internet to update the real-time world. It comes with 10 DVDs and a thick paper manual. God, I really want that.

No word on when (presumably) the Steam version will launch. It's possible we might be looking at a multi-year delay if Microsoft fully utilizes this to promote their console and Xbox in Windows 10 ecosystems, since the game will be coming to Game Pass.

I couldn't find it, but is there a list of which planes go in what version?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Drovek wrote: »

I couldn't find it, but is there a list of which planes go in what version?

Why yes there is, courtesy of Windows Central (as usual on top of their game for this sort of thing).
    Microsoft Flight Simulator launches with 20 aircraft available to all players, from single-engine light aircraft to the world's prominent passenger jets. The base game ships with an extensive initial roster, differing in aircraft type and hailing from varying manufacturers. The following lineup is available to both standard editions or accessed through Xbox Game Pass.

Airbus A320neo
    Aviat Pitts Special S2S
    Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental
    CubCrafters XCub
    Daher TBM 930
    Diamond DA62
    Diamond DA40 NG
    EXTRA 330LT
    Flight Design CTLS
    ICON A5
    JMB VL-3 Robin CAP 10
    Robin DR400-100 Cadet
    Beechcraft Bonanza G36
    Beechcraft King Air 350i
    Cessna 152
    Cessna 172 Skyhawk (G1000)
    Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX
    Cessna Citation CJ4
    Zlin Savage Cub

An upgrade to the Deluxe Edition packs an additional five planes and handcrafted airports, headlined by various personal light aircraft.

Diamond DA40-TDI
    Diamond DV20
    Beechcraft Baron G58
    Cessna 152 Aerobat
    Cessna 172 Skyhawk

The Premium Deluxe variant of Microsoft Flight Simulator enables the full experience, with 30 planes included with this package. That includes light aircraft through to the wide-body Boeing 787 Dreamliner in service across various airlines today.

Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner
    Cirrus SR22
    Pipistrel Virus SW 121
    Cessna Citation Longitude
    Zlin Shock Ultra

On one hand, that is way more aircraft than I expected in the base version (assuming they are all as elaborately modeled as we've seen of flight deck shots in the previews thusfar). On the other hand, especially considering we're not likely to get modding (possibly ever), I really owuld've like them to trade Cessna #4 or so for something distinctive out of the usual MSFS comfort zone, like transport lifters and jet liners from the CIS, or smaller trainers out of Japan or the eastern hemisphere in general, but that's always been how MSFS has done it, so I'm not even surprised. Here's hoping for some offerings from Antonov, Ilyushin, Tupolev, Mitsubishi (an MU-2 or American joint like the MU-300 would be great) in DLC.

Also, all fixed-wing aircraft. That's also not surprising, considering they expressed a desire to focus on perfecting their fixed-wing flight models.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I saw that it is already playable with GamePass? Didn't look more into this, but man I'm glad I got GamePass for really cheap now. Got it for MechWarrior 5 and now I can play this.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I saw that it is already playable with GamePass? Didn't look more into this, but man I'm glad I got GamePass for really cheap now. Got it for MechWarrior 5 and now I can play this.

It's set to launch on Game Pass for subscribers on 18 August, like all of Microsoft's first-party offerings thusfar (just not on the Steam store).

As it stands, I don't think we have an Xbox console launch date either, though that was confirmed (unlike Steam).

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Uuuuggggghhhh
    I don't think I'll be able to run it very well:
    MSFS-specs.jpg

Also, pretty infographic of planes:
    https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/360014309919/aircraft-list.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, I'm mildly worried about my RAM as well--being at 16 GB rather than 32. I do exceed the ideal VRAM with 11 GB on my GTX 1080ti.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Wow, I actually meet the ideal AMD processor, at least. I don't have a Radeon VII, but I do have a 5700XT. I also only have 16GB of RAM, but still, being somewhere between Recommended and Ideal isn't what I expected. We'll see what that actually translates to, though.

• Options
    Nothing I can really do about my CPU, it's an old i5-4670K from what I'm remembering. My motherboard is as old, but I'm dreading the next complete new build I need to do (I wish NCIX US were still around to do the tedious work for a nominal fee).

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    haha I just upgrade this year and STILL don't have the ideal spec.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hrm...so, it looks like I'm just shy of the Ideal criteria with my i7-8700k and RTX 2070 Super. Oh well, guess I maybe won't be turning ray-traced reflections on.

Also, it's looking like I finally caved and splurged on a rudder pedal system just in time. Ostensibly, I got it because I couldn't play my DCS aircraft without some kind of keyboard-less rudder control, and the DCS sale was just too good to pass up (most all their aircraft were 50% off...F-14 and the J-17 were the twi exceptions at 33% discount), so I picked up the F-16. Now I actually want to fly these birds.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My sim machine can handle it (3900X w/ 2080 Ti)....but non-combat flight sims do nothing for me. I'll probably buy this purely as a "support the scene" purchase, and I'll toot around a little, but I doubt I'll dump tons of time in to something I can't drop bombs in.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm a fan of flying under bridges and between buildings...so this could be fun for me.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    My great hope is still that they license the flight/graphics engine to other companies, so we can see a combat flight simulator built with the engine.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    My great hope is still that they license the flight/graphics engine to other companies, so we can see a combat flight simulator built with the engine.

Once upon a time there was Combat Flight Simulator, so it's a possibility.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Man, I so want to buy the physical copy to support this... But is it only available in EU?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Man, I so want to buy the physical copy to support this... But is it only available in EU?

It hasn't gone up for orders yet (I don't think), but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer an option to import.

I just said this! :lol:

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I've been in the alpha for a month and it runs fine on my 3-year old Radeon RX480 8gb, with 16gb of ram. That's probably the extent I can talk about it, but I've been getting a stable 30+ fps at 1080p on Ultra(ish) settings, so I wouldn't be too worried.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

It hasn't gone up for orders yet (I don't think), but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer an option to import.

I just said this! :lol:

you didn't send us to that post, tho, just to the OP.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Been playing this a lot, it’s pretty sick. It makes my computer hurt though 3700x, 2070 and 32gb ram with 1.5gbps nets.

That is with everything turned on, but only at 1080. Pretty sure my GPU is the limiting factor.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Huh, weird your computer is much beefier than mine and it hasn't struggled too much. Even on medium or high the game is gorgeous though so it's not like you'll be stuck with a groady experienced.

I've purchased a dedicated SSD drive for it once it's released proper and will be upping my memory to 32gb though, so I hope that helps smooth out any wrinkles.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Yeah I was wondering if there is something else at play, I’ll have to do some digging then.

• Options
    Microsoft Flight Simulator is up for pre-order on Steam if that's your preference.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »
    Microsoft Flight Simulator is up for pre-order on Steam if that's your preference.

I wondered what was up with that! This was the first Xbox PC title in a while that wasn't given an explicit Steam release, leading me to think it might be delayed.

Guess not! Granted, if you're trying to get this through Game Pass, no Steam-4-U. If you're buying it like all us other dinosaurs, have at it.

I'll probably pick it up on the Windows store--my general displeasure with Steam aside, I'm going to assume cross-platform multiplayer but not necessarily cross-platform profile support when this comes to the Xbox consoles, and that's more likely with the Xbox on Windows 10 rather than Steam version.

• Options
    Couple other little tidbits about it: They confirmed TrackIR support at launch, and said VR support will follow soon after, releasing around the time of the HP Reverb 2 headset in the fall.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    My SO bought me the Playseat Airforce for my birthday. I wanted something that worked for flight and car and seems like this does the trick so I'm pretty excited.

Can't wait to get it for some DCS and FS. Both games are fun to play, but have the sticks slide around when I'm not careful realllllly sucks.

Dixon on
  • Options
    My new sim racing rig gets here Friday, so my Obutto will transition to just flight. I'm excited to be able to fly whenever I want without having to do a bunch of hardware swapping. I'll likely be spending a lot more time flying than I do currently.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Couple other little tidbits about it: They confirmed TrackIR support at launch, and said VR support will follow soon after, releasing around the time of the HP Reverb 2 headset in the fall.

TrackIR support is basically guaranteed, in some form, if you support the player-look headswitch in all HOTAS joysticks. :lol: Even games that don't do the full 6-DOF movement still support TrackIR for 4-DOF.

VR is a more considerable challenge for obvious reasons. It's nice to hear they've set a date on it!

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I bought a new PC rig last week just to play MS Flight Simulator (timing of new parts this fall be damned...I couldn't wait!)

I am hoping the Ryzen 3900XT + 2080 Ti will be enough to power 1440p ultra-wide.

Does anyone have some favorite peripherals to recommend? I am coming in fresh after a 10+ year break only gaming on consoles.

• Options
    swaylow wrote: »
    I bought a new PC rig last week just to play MS Flight Simulator (timing of new parts this fall be damned...I couldn't wait!)

I am hoping the Ryzen 3900XT + 2080 Ti will be enough to power 1440p ultra-wide.

Does anyone have some favorite peripherals to recommend? I am coming in fresh after a 10+ year break only gaming on consoles.

The HOTAS is in-arguably the most important peripheral for Flight Simulator on PC--a more basic joystick would probably do, and you could even get away with your regular console gamepad in a "This is still way less terrible than KBAM only" sort of way, but you'd want a HOTAS.

Of which there are many favorites in this thread. My Logitech X56 has served me well, even though it's more aimed at games like Elite Dangerous that I've quite cold turkey years ago, and it has the benefit of being from the most predictable PC peripheral company (though not the best by any means).

• Options
    swaylow wrote: »

The HOTAS is in-arguably the most important peripheral for Flight Simulator on PC--a more basic joystick would probably do, and you could even get away with your regular console gamepad in a "This is still way less terrible than KBAM only" sort of way, but you'd want a HOTAS.

Of which there are many favorites in this thread. My Logitech X56 has served me well, even though it's more aimed at games like Elite Dangerous that I've quite cold turkey years ago, and it has the benefit of being from the most predictable PC peripheral company (though not the best by any means).

There's also Yokes to be considered if you're into civilian aircraft, but I have nothing to recommend in that area.

steam_sig.png( < . . .