As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    mrondeau wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Bagged milk is a thing in Ontario, though Farm Boy sells it in bottles. You have to pay a deposit and remember to bring em back for a refund, but I’m okay with that to reduce the envieonmental impact.

I was delighted to see milk in cartons in all the big grocery shops in Toronto, because bagged milk is baffling to me. Is it some sort of political thing at this point? It can’t be used in enough markets to scale.

Hum ? It's super cheap. The whole point is to save on packaging. Of course, if you don't need a lot of milk, it's not the best solution, but it's great for large quantities.

Yeah, I guess what I mean is, the amount that companies using bagged milk save on packaging, in local markets which use bagged milk, could be lost trying to get into other markets, which just want one type of packaging (typically cartons). As cartons have wider penetration than bags, at least outside Ontario AFAIK, you'd think big producers would just switch to using cartons and eat the cost of the packaging so they can get their milk into other places.

I mean, I don't like bagged milk because using it appears to be a fussy experience that involves scissors and a special jug and possibly a bag that goes around the bag you put in the jug, and then it goes off unless you have a weird bag clip or something and omigodcanijustunscrewthecartoncapalready. But that's me, and I bet if you're used to it, it's fine!

But from a business point of view, if nobody but you packs your product in one way, that means getting outside the local market is more challenging; you struggle to scale up production because you're, for example, bumping into packaging issues with suppliers (like "all our shelves are the same height to accommodate milk cartons, and we stack our pallets this way, which relies on the rigidity of plastic" etc.) So I wondered why they do it. I guess if it's cheaper, and you have local market dominance and no need to branch out, it doesn't really matter.

It's super common in Québec and Ontario. AKA the places where cows and milk drinkers are in Canada.
    It's the vast majority of the market. Also, at least in Québec, the same producers make cartons and bags. They have different functions.
    In your case, just get cartons. If you have to worry about a litre going bad, you are not drinking enough for bags.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The same companies that produce milk in bags also produce milk in cartons. Its not like one packaging type precludes other on the manufacturing/distribution side. Do they not have Sealtest or Beatrice or Lactantia in Central Canada or the West Coast?

I mean, we also have 2L cartons, 1L cartons, 500ml and 250ml cartons in Eastern Canada. Some places also still have 4L/Gallon jugs. A set of 4L bags of milk fits in one's fridge far easier than a 4L jug does. We're not exclusively bagged milk here in the East.

Steelhawk on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Since having a baby, 4L bags of milk have been a huge positive in my life. It's about one week's worth of milk and cheaper than two 2L boxes of milk.

sig.gif
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    We need to get one of those snippers in my house. My f'n kids keep losing their craft scissors and keep taking the kitchen scissors to continue making a mess of my house. Last week I had to open a bag of milk with a fancy lobster eating tool my wife has that has a set of shears attached to the shell cracker.

Do you live in my house, same here and they craft scissors. They have like 5 pairs, always missing. We also can't keep tape around.

BC is at the wrong end of the country for anything dairy.

Handkor wrote: »
    We need to get one of those snippers in my house. My f'n kids keep losing their craft scissors and keep taking the kitchen scissors to continue making a mess of my house. Last week I had to open a bag of milk with a fancy lobster eating tool my wife has that has a set of shears attached to the shell cracker.

Do you live in my house, same here and they craft scissors. They have like 5 pairs, always missing. We also can't keep tape around.

"Daddy, we couldn't find our scissors!"
    "Well, did you look for them?"
    "No. We just took the ones in the kitchen instead. We knew where those ones were."
    "Grr. Fine. Where are they now?"
    "I dunno. Ask Mommy."

Oh gawd, don't get me started on tape. My 6yo daughter LOVES the scotch tape dispenser. She even taught herself how to reload it from the bulk box of rolls I used to have. Ugh.

"No. We just took the ones in the kitchen instead. We knew where those ones were."
    "I dunno. Ask Mommy."

Oh gawd, don't get me started on tape. My 6yo daughter LOVES the scotch tape dispenser. She even taught herself how to reload it from the bulk box of rolls I used to have. Ugh.

Seems like an easy problem to solve: attach the scissors to your daughter with rolls of tape.

"I dunno. Ask Mommy."

Seems like an easy problem to solve: attach the scissors to your daughter with rolls of tape.

You'd think.... but then's she's going to run around with them attached to her and running with scissors is no-no in our house. So you know who's going to get in trouble? Me, that's who!

"I dunno. Ask Mommy."

You'd think.... but then's she's going to run around with them attached to her and running with scissors is no-no in our house. So you know who's going to get in trouble? Me, that's who!

How about you add more tape, sticky side out ?
    Any problem can be solved with enough firetape. That's what "enough" means.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I remember bagged milk being sold in Alberta when I was a kid. I don't remember when it stopped, but it was at the very latest the early 90s.

And what's this about the cows being in the east? Alberta says hi.

Yes, Alberta has dairy farms. A friend of my dad's used to have one and I remember visiting when the cows were being milked and was amazed at how much milk can be processed by just one dude.

Nova_C wrote: »
    I remember bagged milk being sold in Alberta when I was a kid. I don't remember when it stopped, but it was at the very latest the early 90s.

And what's this about the cows being in the east? Alberta says hi.

Yes, Alberta has dairy farms. A friend of my dad's used to have one and I remember visiting when the cows were being milked and was amazed at how much milk can be processed by just one dude.

Ontario and Québec are 70% of dairy production in Canada.

Listen, I was raised in Alberta, so I'm not interested in your facts and statistics.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ontario and Québec are also 60% of the population, though. 70% of milk production is overrepresenting, but not by a whole lot.

I want to point out that Calgary's nickname is Cowtown.

And Alberta beef is (somehow) world famous.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Bagged milk is a thing in Ontario, though Farm Boy sells it in bottles. You have to pay a deposit and remember to bring em back for a refund, but I’m okay with that to reduce the envieonmental impact.

I was delighted to see milk in cartons in all the big grocery shops in Toronto, because bagged milk is baffling to me. Is it some sort of political thing at this point? It can’t be used in enough markets to scale.

Hum ? It's super cheap. The whole point is to save on packaging. Of course, if you don't need a lot of milk, it's not the best solution, but it's great for large quantities.

Yeah, I guess what I mean is, the amount that companies using bagged milk save on packaging, in local markets which use bagged milk, could be lost trying to get into other markets, which just want one type of packaging (typically cartons). As cartons have wider penetration than bags, at least outside Ontario AFAIK, you'd think big producers would just switch to using cartons and eat the cost of the packaging so they can get their milk into other places.

I mean, I don't like bagged milk because using it appears to be a fussy experience that involves scissors and a special jug and possibly a bag that goes around the bag you put in the jug, and then it goes off unless you have a weird bag clip or something and omigodcanijustunscrewthecartoncapalready. But that's me, and I bet if you're used to it, it's fine!

But from a business point of view, if nobody but you packs your product in one way, that means getting outside the local market is more challenging; you struggle to scale up production because you're, for example, bumping into packaging issues with suppliers (like "all our shelves are the same height to accommodate milk cartons, and we stack our pallets this way, which relies on the rigidity of plastic" etc.) So I wondered why they do it. I guess if it's cheaper, and you have local market dominance and no need to branch out, it doesn't really matter.

https://inevitably-johnlocked.tumblr.com/post/142008863325/why-do-canadians-have-milk-in-bags-how-is-that

1. It's cheaper.
    2. you can freeze the milk bags you aren't using.
    3. Snippers are easy to use and cheep.

Really, I'm just amazed more place don't have it.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I want to point out that Calgary's nickname is Cowtown.

And Alberta beef is (somehow) world famous.

Beef cattle and dairy cattle are different. Alberta's cattle are disproportionately beef cattle, though we do have some dairy cattle.

Also fyi you can freeze jugs of milk too.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I don't think you should freeze plastics jugs small shards of plastic break away due to the contraction end end up in your water bottle/milk

icGJy2C.png
    find yourself a man who looks at you the way an eastern Canadian looks at bagged milk

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Also jugs are huge, why are you freezing that much milk

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Also jugs are huge, why are you freezing that much milk

Milk igloo

:so_raven:
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Also grew up in 80's Alberta. Remember milk bags.

Moved to BC, never saw a bag again. Thought they rightfully went the way of the dodo.

Moved to NB... and there are bags everywhere. We actually had trouble finding proper 4L jugs.

I just wish it wasn't so expensive. 7 bucks for 4L, flippin' hell.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

Moved to BC, never saw a bag again. Thought they rightfully went the way of the dodo.

Moved to NB... and there are bags everywhere. We actually had trouble finding proper 4L jugs.

Holy shit. 4L is like $3.50 at Costco in Vancouver

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, Shoppers Drug Mart has it for about $4.29-$4.59 pretty regularly.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Northern BC, Mackenzie to be specific had milk bags back in the mid 90s. I'm guessing they still do since it seems the pockets that do have them like them just fine.

steam_sig.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's absolutely region specific. Going from Victoria to Saint John, most stuff like condiments, frozen pizza, and such dropped like $2-$3 bucks or more. Milk here though is just shockingly expensive.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Dairyland 4L is $5.29 in Saskatoon (at the Co-op, which may be a touch pricier than other joints like Sobey's, the Independents, or Superstore).

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm comforted that my initial panic over 40 new posts in thread was just a full bagged milk discussion.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I think "full bagged milk discussion" would be a good thread title.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Full Dairy Jacket

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think 90% of the time there's this many posts in a short amount of time in this thread it's about food.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    I think 90% of the time there's this many posts in a short amount of time in this thread it's about food.

When things get too political someone mentions croissants or some such.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Corvus wrote: »

You can thank Quebec and their minimum milk price for that.

Quebec: the only place where dairy farmers don't want to kill themselves!

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

You can thank Quebec and their minimum milk price for that.

Quebec: the only place where dairy farmers don't want to kill themselves!

In most places, milk is a "loss leader", where the big supermarkets intentionally sell it below cost in order to draw in customers who'll then also buy other higher margin goods. I remember when I ran a restaurant it was always much cheaper to buy milk retail than wholesale.

In actual news:

Andrew Russell works for global

fuckin

what

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    In actual news:

fuckin

what

“This incident occurred to a monument and the graffiti appeared to target an identifiable group,”
    Const. Steve Elms, spokesman for Halton-Regional Police

They're only identifiable because of the swastikas, you absolute goose. JFC, this is who we trust the meting out of justice to.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    In actual news:

fuckin

what

OMG, from the article:
    In response to questions from this newspaper, Const. Steve Elms, spokesman for Halton-Regional Police, cited a section of the Criminal Code that noted those communicating statements in any public place inciting hatred against any identifiable group could face imprisonment not exceeding two years. “This incident occurred to a monument and the graffiti appeared to target an identifiable group,” he explained in an email to questions about how a hate crime could be perpetrated against members of the SS.

WHICH IDENTIFIABLE GROUP, NUMBNUTS?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    That's gotta be the dumbest interpretation of a law I've ever heard....why the hell do we even have a statue commemorated to this division who evidently was on the opposing side during WW2???

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Like I said during the policing thread, this is actually kind of murky since the ukranian unit is more remembered for fighting the soviets.

Also like I said in the previous thread: probably best not to advertise this with a 12 foot tall monument.

Yeah, if you look you can see that all of the insignia are Ukrainian

But I'm also pretty comfortable saying we probably shouldn't celebrate fighting with the nazis, even if it was against the soviets.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Look, even Bengalis venerate Subhas Bose, who is known for collaborating with the Japanese and meeting Hitler, but I doubt we would build a statue to him here.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It seems like the issue of the monument itself is complicated, at best. Nonetheless, it seems like a wildly inappropriate use of hate crimes law to prosecute graffiti on memorials to Nazi allies, for being memorials to Nazi allies.

This discussion has been closed.