As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    I think all my characters are at least 14 and I have quite a few in the 20s and early 30's. I got it in my head I needed one of everything. Every powerset is represented in some way between all of them with a few duplications when I got it in my head to make themed duo's/groups with my son. Latest has been getting all our laser shooting characters into one SG called Lazer Boyz who is lead by Dr. Lazer himself - robot MM's, Beam Rifle wielders and our 3 Arachnos Soldiers. Our motto "We bring the heat"
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    I only have 18 character slots left on the server.

...wait, aren't there like 1000 slots per server now?

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    So I follow Matt Miller on Twitter, aka former lead designer/producer for CoH, aka Positron. He recently tweeted about Hero Forge and holy shit it's cool, it's a site where you can create, customize, and order on-demand plastic/metal minis.
    They have a color tool available for color minis for backers on Kickstarter:

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Personal updates, haven't played that much besides doing the Weekly Task Force (WTF), but on things.

First, did a costume change on my Fire/Fire Dom:
    2099d081fda92c23fd5c5ac1e0471902.png
    Second, managed got get my Tier 4 Alpha, woo!:
    fc93afdbabd8611cf5d2228a801d525c.png
    (You basically have to craft a second tier 3 + the mats, that include a Favor of the Well, that goes for a grand total of 32 shards and two Notice of the Well, and the latter you get as part of the WTF bonus.

Still need to get purple IOs on this char, ugh.

Besides that, messing around with a DP/Temporal Blaster, looks very sleek:
    0dfec2d3171f060211ecb8f483f9b617.png

DP is DP, so you know that the damage is just ok. Temporal hits like a truck though. Both sets want to be on melee, so it fits.

TryCatcher on
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Personal updates, haven't played that much besides doing the Weekly Task Force (WTF), but on things.

First, did a costume change on my Fire/Fire Dom:
    2099d081fda92c23fd5c5ac1e0471902.png

Oh hey, that was you I saw out and about a few days ago. I'll say hi next time, can't remember who I was. I've gone... kinda wide.

Dionysus Zagreus, water/plant blaster -- old god of wine and getting ripped apart
    PNK 3-1416, sonic/device blaster -- space party robot
    Grassroots, plant/nature controller -- a little patch of road and weeds that punched Nazis when Nazis needed punched
    Mlle. Carousel, illusion/force controller -- mutant makes her thoughts real but can't get them back afterwards
    Butterfly Garden, plant/poison controller -- the "plant lady" from the Richardson Conservatory knows all the dangerous ones
    Telemedicine, grav/time controller -- what remains of a hospital that imploded through its mediporter into an unknown dimension
    Sandra Superstorm, ice/elec defender -- what if rain didn't fall on the just and the unjust alike?
    Owllight Star, dark/rad defender -- timelost Oranbegan star mage
    Kinetic Shot, kin/pistols defender -- itty bitty bullet spitty committee
    Joan Spirit, titan/will scrapper -- described by some as "a technofuture Joan of Arc"
    Harlequin Cirsium, spine/bio scrapper -- in some universe this little thistle was one of the Preserving Earth's good guys
    Donato Bardi, staff/ninja scrapper -- notoriety as a: Renaissance artist 15%, ninja turtle 85%
    Zasani, fire/elec tanker -- my main, daughter of Shango and as much giant woman as you can get
    Lt Appleseed Jackson, will/street tanker -- also fairly giant, basically Blueblood from Chimera Squad except with punching
    Experiment Adelphos, savage/shield brute -- tiger sharkman in the scraps of his old containment pod
    Rae G. Biv, kinetic/energy brute -- crossdimensional mishmash hoping that the next leap will be the leap home
    Pale Songstress, sonic/rad corruptor -- once sang for Anti-Matter, now sings against him
    Heaven's Golden Arc, mind/martial dominator -- from the trading floor of the Celestial Bureaucracy
    Hunted Relentlessly, beast/pain mastermind -- "There's a wolf behind me right now, isn't there?"
    Three Mile Spectre, psi/rad stalker -- local man terrified of what he imagines nuclear disaster to be
    Project Y-AMPER, claw/elec stalker -- from the people who bought you Wolf in a Robot Suit, now try Corgi in an Electric Robot Suit! (the electric is from floof)

So, uh, AMA about playing the basic archetypes I guess?

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Project Y-AMPER sounds pretty familiar. What's the concept there, and what's with the 'wolf in a robot suit' people? Paired characters or somesuch?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »
    Glazius wrote: »
    somebody just made a corgi in a mech suit named Project YAM-PER

Why'd I have to go and say that?

00w3v6qenc9l.png

Found it!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    What's the concept there, and what's with the 'wolf in a robot suit' people?

I think the fact that the game only really does animal heads well, plus Beast Run existing, makes that kind of character relatively common. I know I've got Riot Dog, the next-generation PPD police dog.

ZMV6JVt.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    What's the concept there, and what's with the 'wolf in a robot suit' people?

I think the fact that the game only really does animal heads well, plus Beast Run existing, makes that kind of character relatively common. I know I've got Riot Dog, the next-generation PPD police dog.

ZMV6JVt.jpg

"Scruff McGruff was a pussy-cat. I'll -really- take a bite out of crime."

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    (...) what's with the 'wolf in a robot suit' people?
    I feel called out here.

edited May 2020
    So because I haven't talked about mechanics for a while, let's do a little bit of that. Something everybody will need to learn a little bit of eventually, but which is most important to control primary characters like Telemedicine here:

7fo3mufrnkzl.png

is exactly how control powers work. Because City of Heroes focused on many-on-one combat from the start, it has much more definite controls than many other MMOs, since locking down one enemy doesn't buy you a whole lot. (Unless it's an archvillain, but I'll talk more about them at the end.) Two things matter for controls: magnitude and duration. To illustrate, here's a clip from the power detail window of Telemedicine's primary hold, Gravity Distortion:

az4kawfcr8z3.png

The duration of a control is how long it lasts on the enemy. It's modified up or down based on level difference and on the control resistance of the enemy, expressed as a percentage. A positive control resistance makes controls last less time when they're applied. The magnitude of a control is how much control there is, which affects whether the control is applied or not. Controls are binary, either happening or not, and the value is compared against the enemy's control protection to determine if it applies.

As you might guess by the 20% line, control magnitudes stack. All the controls currently affecting the enemy, whether applied by the same player, different players, or player pets like Address Unknown there (the gravity control pet is called the Singularity, but you can rename it) are added up to determine if they overcome the control protection.

Usually, enemy minions have control protection 1, enemy lieutenants have control protection 2, and enemy bosses have control protection 3. (An enemy group can have varying compositions at different player counts, but usually contains 3 minion-weight per player - minions are 1, lieuts are 2.5, bosses are 5.) There are some exceptions - for example, Vahzilok zombies have a higher immobilize protection, and Arachnos Huntsmen have a higher protection against all forms of control.

So, in practice, Gravity Distortion will always hold the average minion or lieutenant, and if the 20% fires, it will also hold the average boss for a slightly shorter amount of time. Gravity Distortion takes 8 seconds to recharge, baseline, so it can be kept up on multiple enemies at once or refired in case of misses. Control magnitude cannot be enhanced normally; only the duration is increased. So, what are the available control types?

Confuse: Allies are enemies, enemies are allies. Attacks and buffs thus affect different targets. Hit a force field generator and now it affects you! Hit a sorceror and now they're hurricaning the rest of the Tsoo instead! But the same applies to you. Any self-buffs will affect you normally, but otherwise keep your powder dry or you'll blow your team to kingdom come. Fortunately this one's pretty rare - found on rare Circle of Thorns bosses, in Going Rogue content, and any mind or illusion control enemies in Mission Architect where the creator didn't think about how a super-accurate confuse that refreshes faster than it falls off impacts enemy difficulty.

Disorient: Also called "stun". You can't activate any powers and can only stagger around slowly. Any offensive toggles shut off. When this applies to enemies, note that "stagger around slowly" means "move to a random point some % of your move speed away every so often". Speed-buffed enemies can stagger considerable distance and jump tremendous heights if the game decides their random point is on top the building they're next to.

Fear: Also called "terrorize". You can't activate any powers or move, but offensive toggles don't shut off. When you're under the effect of Fear, taking any damage will temporarily suppress it, until you use one offensive power or move for a few seconds. You're still stuck with Fear until it runs out. Also pretty rare except for certain Going Rogue content.

Hold: You can't activate any powers or move. Offensive toggles shut off.

Immobilize: You can't move.

Intangibility: Intangibility is a little weird. Enhancing it increases its magnitude, not its duration. Intangible creatures can only affect other intangible creatures - if you're intangible and nothing else is, you can't be hurt but you can't hurt anything either.

Knockback: Knockback and knockup are also a little weird. They have no duration; enhancing knock increases its magnitude. Any positive net magnitude (power mag - protection), even fractional magnitude, will make knock work. Net magnitude less than 1 will make something fall down or flip in place and take some time getting back up. This won't interrupt animating powers but will stop an enemy from doing anything until it stands up. Higher magnitudes send things ragdolling away or into the air, disabling them for longer.

Placate: This prevents you from targeting whatever placated you. When that thing damages you, the placate is dropped. You can still use point-blank or location-targeted AoE powers to damage something even if you can't put a reticle on it.

Sleep: You can't activate any powers or move. Offensive toggles shut off. Sleep breaks when your HP changes, whether you're healed or you take damage; however, the magnitude still lingers and you can be re-slept as though it was still there.

Taunt: When taunt applies to an enemy, your attacks against it cause more threat. Most taunt powers also cause a large amount of threat, so stacking them can really lock someone on you. When taunt applies to you, you must target the last thing that taunted you (which shows up as a red reticle). If you aren't targeting it, attacking your target will snap you to the taunter instead, if it's onscreen. Otherwise you'll just see "taunted" float above your head and you'll have to spin the camera to find them. Point-blank or location-targeted AoEs don't have this problem.

So, what's up with Archvillains? Originally they had very high protection to everything, which meant that either they were uncontrollable or multiple controllers could pin them no problem. This gave way to "the purple triangles", a time-limited window to affect something with controls (when the triangles point down) or a tremendous resistance and protection to controls (when the triangles point up). This applies to archvillains, or anything that was intended to be an archvillain if your difficulty settings are toning it down to an elite boss, or "heroes", which are what archvillains are called when you're a villain. The only exceptions are sleep and, sometimes, immobilize, to help controllers set up their damage bonus to controlled targets.

Glazius on
    So, haven't been able to play as much and when I do I fall prey to the good old alt-titis. Saw the new MTG character and remembered an old forum post about using Darkness Control / Dark Assault Dominator as "sand control" and so:
    68e5fg8vgh0l.png
    Also, the characters that you find right next to Ms. Liberty are a mood:
    2elagmiicj22.png

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Let me tell you all a short story- I've told this story before, in many fashions, on this board.

The reason I am here posting on the Penny Arcade forums, and have been since *checks badges* way too many years is because of City of Heroes. I started playing City of Villains in 2006, while I was in undergrad. The game and the PA forums helped me get through some pretty bad times. I was on academic probation during the summer of 2006, taking a 300-level class that I had to make an "A" in to get my scholarships back, sleeping on my friend's floor, and working as a busboy in a Texas-themed restaurant.

I was stressed out beyond belief, but City of Villains and the ability to make a nearly infinite amount of characters (and by extension the PA forums) helped me get through it.

Why am I telling you this story?

Well, because today, after fourteen years playing this game off and on, I finally have my first level 50 Character.

This is Malpractice, an Electricity/Pain controller, who is a vigilante in charge of a non-profit organization providing healthcare indiscriminately around Paragon City and the Rogue Isles. He can control the electricity in people's body which allows him to heighten or dull their response to pain, as well as overload their nervous systems and leave them incapacitated.

Q3vaqTUm.jpg

Now I just have to work on figuring out his build and making that money so I can afford some sweet purple IO sets!

Arch on
    Hell yeah, Arch! Congrats!

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Ringo wrote: »

Thanks!

(no one look at my character page and how many characters I have that are level 20ish)

edited June 2020
    Arch wrote: »

Thanks!

(no one look at my character page and how many characters I have that are level 20ish)

Know the feel, though I just delete those that I can't stand playing. I put a lot of effort on a Water Corr....and ended up deleting him. Water really needs something else to help on ST. Had fun with it on a Blaster.

On stuff, turns out that after Fire x 3, I....kinda found the whole process of setting up a Dominator exhausting, so want something simple that works out of the box. Went for a Brute, and was curious about Stone Melee. Meet Lady Meteor, Stone/Fire Brute:
    7idq4mzkacev.png
    qktk2iow693d.png

Thought of a regular flame theme by kinda looking at the fire guy on a video of new Riot game, and then thought "hmm, that hammer looks like a meteor with her on fire" and the idea of going for the space theme stuck. On the gameplay, Stone Melee so far is fun, hits like a truck on single target (though is one of those old sets where you get no AoE until the end power, there's an AoE power early but it does no damage because reasons) and feels satisfying to hit things with your hammer without being a slog like Titan Weapons*, and Fire is Fire. Is great for farming and for AoE damage, but for regular play you kinda want some Knockback protection from IOs (Fire has zero baseline) since else you just get bounced around like a beachball sometimes.

*Seriously, I tried Titan Weapons like 4 times and always get annoyed and quit at 30-ish since Momentum just ends up annoying me.

TryCatcher on

Thanks!

I'm currently half way down the 5th character page. Admittedly, a handful of them exist solely as bad puns, but they're no less precious.

Trycatcher that's one hell of a costume, damn

• guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Thought of a regular flame theme by kinda looking at the fire guy on a video of new Riot game, and then thought "hmm, that hammer looks like a meteor with her on fire" and the idea of going for the space theme stuck.

Space theme? Sounds like a member of Squadron...

• Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular

Thanks!

Character page? Am I forgetting another thing from the game? I want to see this page!

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    The character selection screen, I believe

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    The character selection screen, I believe

Ah, it sounded like there was a resource, accessible from outside of the game, that let you look at peoples characters.
    Like Battle.Net, but for City of Heroes.

Obviously at the rate people make new characters in CoX that webpage would quickly expand and consume the bandwidth of the entire internet before becoming sentient and ascending to god hood

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited July 2020
    On updates, have been bouncing around alts, again. Decided to try the Electric Affinity powerset and have another go with Masterminds. Tried Demons/Thermal many thread pages ago, but 5 min recharge baseline for a debuff? Yeah, piss off.

Just a little bit of anime to make it work, here's Steel Kirin:
    dfrqoqxw7r2z.png
    And been doing several Task Forces with the Double XP buff, so got him from creation to level 32 in a week or so:
    1cs2fz7psv7j.png

Electric Affinity is not Kinetics or Time (read: busted as hell), but is very fun since is on the more active side instead of "hope that everybody is on Farsight/Chrono Shift range since can only do it once a minute or so". The mechanic is simple: You get Static charges for using your powers and the more Static charges you get, the more your Circuit powers bounce. So basically every Circuit power is Chain Heal. You have your +Damage Circuit, your Healing Circuit, your +Endurance Circuit and the +Absorb Shield Circuit that I haven't gotten yet since need to get to 35 for it (they do other stuff, but that's the main thing). And the big center of the powerset is Faraday Cage, a full mez prot bubble and if you stand on it, you get more Static charges.

Really, Faraday Cage is amazing. One thing that happens on Mastermind is that your minions do not have Knockback protection, so on things like AVs they just get bounced around, which is a vast DPS loss and very, very annoying. Faraday Cage takes care of that problem and makes things like Romulus that much easier. Technically Demons would take better advantage of it, and they are a very cool and powerful set, but wanted Bots for theme. Do want some of those fancy Knockback to Knockdown IOs on the smaller bots and the big bot, since not only KB is annoying, but big bot leaves burn patches on the ground so you want bad dudes to stand on them for more deeps.

Oh, and on the HC Forums, MM subforum there's a sticked thread to bind MM commands to the numpad. Hadn't bothered with that before, but now I did and whoa. Is so much better. You can much more easily just move your dudes out of the bad and summon/upgrade them faster.

TryCatcher on
    Faraday Cage also charges up your Static, which is pretty nice if you're not moving for a bit.

(I know because we had kind of the same idea. Though I went a little different for it. Synapse this week is gonna be real fun.)

ooqg4l8u7x9q.png

I kinda wanna do a 'new Frankenstein' themed Necro/Electric MM. Shocking the zombies to heal them sounds hilarious.

But I have two MMs already that I don't play, I should just use the keybinding stuff (Sandalphon?) and TRY it. Demons/Storm and Bots/Traps.

ew9y0DD.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I kinda wanna do a 'new Frankenstein' themed Necro/Electric MM. Shocking the zombies to heal them sounds hilarious.

But I have two MMs already that I don't play, I should just use the keybinding stuff (Sandalphon?) and TRY it. Demons/Storm and Bots/Traps.

Oh god yes.
    Use the MM keybinds. Love the keybinds.
    You won't be able to go back.

Even before the keybinds, way back when CoV was new, the MM was one of the funnest classes to play. But once some genius posted the keybinds, it became a little harder to play anything else.
    Being able to click a button or two to refocus all your goons on a single target, or to split fire between two or three targets with a handful of keys... it's magical.

Is there a good non-NUMpad set of keybinds?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    You can just take a set of keybinds that do what you like and change the keys they map to.

That sounds like work

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited July 2020
    City of Heroes protip: Always check your difficulty settings on teams! Had a Manticore Task Force implode on me on Sunday since level 30 characters simply cannot take on +4 content and deal, unlike level 50 chars with purples and Incarnates and stuff. At least not without taking a gorillion hours and be super annoying, so people bailed and that's all she wrote. Team Leader seemed nice, but he noticed waaay too late.

TryCatcher on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    +2 is always the sweet spot for me while leveling.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Generally, yeah. Some builds though require specific adjustments, especially against specific enemy types.

also all the old blueside TFs are just
    too
    Goddamn
    long

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited July 2020
    Dac wrote: »
    +2 is always the sweet spot for me while leveling.
    I find that level difference hits Controllers (and I guess Dominators) the hardest. Since their stuff is all-or-nothing, if you're in a group doing high difficulty content and you're not IO'd to hell and back your control powers just aren't doing anything and you're relegated to being a bad Defender.

Well. A worse Defender.
    8-)

Glal on
    Hey my Rad/Sonic Defender can solo real well.

(This is because Rad/Sonic is BROKEN.)

ew9y0DD.png
    You say that about all your builds!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    You say that about all your builds!

I play a Savage/WP Scrapper.

Savage Melee is worst on Scrappers, due to how Haemorrhage interacts with crits (unless that has been fixed, I know it works fine with Haem out of Ninjitsu's mini hide, so maybe)
    Willpower is better on Tanks and Brutes, as the majority of the mitigation is through bonus HP and regen, both of which are better on higher HP ATs. It's better on Scrappers than Stalkers, though.

If I wanted a powerbuild Scrapper, I'd be TW/Bio. <3

ew9y0DD.png
    Alright let's do this.

b4hjb3mc6u57.png
    b2hxc7cbcq1w.png

ew9y0DD.png
    Interesting..

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited July 2020
    It's beautiful.

See also: Incarnate capped Melee def, softcapped ranged/aoe def, capped S/L Resists, 40-50% resist everything else.

mdnopiomtx9p.png

Three AOE nukes, plus Dark Obliteration and Void, strong single target chain... I chose NOT to take Shadow Maul because I wanted all my AOE to be PBAoE, but I am very interested in at least TRYING IT OUT on a tank. Maybe if I made a Something/DM tank I'd take SM while levelling, because your attack chain is BALLS as a Dark Melee tank until the 30s. You only have access to Shadow Punch and Smite until 16 for Siphon Life (which is amazing and I'm sad I never used it on my DM/DA Scrapper back on live, but I had Dark Regeneration, so...) unless you take Shadow Maul, which had the animation shortened, and the AOE widened, and then tank AOEs got bigger, so... maybe it's good now.

On that note, slotting the chance for endurance proc from Theft of Essence in Dark Regen is like... it makes it full BOTH HP and End, good proc.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    Homecoming/NCSoft news!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/21675-state-of-the-project-august-2020/

Quite interested to see where this leads

Edcrab's Exigency RPG