As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quarantimes 2: Quarantine Harder

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Airbnb-asks-people-to-donate-money-to-hosts-15407730.php

Airbnb asks people to donate money to landlords, backlash ensues
    Airbnb's latest attempt to appease hosts and customers amid a tumultuous year was met with a searing backlash on social media.

The online vacation rental marketplace, headquartered in San Francisco, initiated a feature this week offering customers the chance to donate money and "kindness cards" to hosts.

"Today we're introducing a new way to connect with your favorite hosts. Now you can create personalized kindness cards that make it easy to send a message of appreciation or encouragement, with the option to add a contribution. We hope these cards will make hosts smile, and bring a little joy your way," a message from the company to customers read.

"Airbnb has lost its f---ing head, why would I donate to my host? I can't even afford one house." Twitter user olenskae fumed.

The absolute gall of this. Get fucked Airbnb and get double fucked anyone who's squatting on multiple properties as your main income model, I hope you all go bankrupt together.

AiPGbml.jpg

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2020
    I wonder if maybe it's an ancient law from back before there were heavily developed areas with many street crossings enveloping the railroad right of ways

Nah it’s from like 2005 or something. Though where I live has gotten a lot less industrial in the last decade, but the rail on this side of the bay has always run through residential areas. (Just, not the most desirable ones).

Apparently every few years there’s a petition to make the crossings into “quiet crossings”, which involves spending a couple of hundred thou per crossing to restrict access to the lines. But those always get voted down by people who think the money could be spent better elsewhere ( although by all accounts the votes break pretty cleanly along geographical lines, depending on whether you live within three blocks of a crossing or not).

I would say that the number of people dying IN SPITE of ordinance honkus maximus means that maybe a better solution should be sought out regardless.

tynic on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    This is funny to me because Darwin gets like one train twice a week and that big boy just gives a cheerful little half second "hello!" toot as it dawdles in from the wilderness

Veldrin on
    See and if I was gonna predict anywhere in the world where people would wander vaguely onto train tracks ...

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    We have train tracks pretty close by the center of town and there was always a massive traffic hold up when they passed through when school/work was starting up or letting people out. It finally got bad enough that the township saved up money and built a bridge over one of the major points of congestion. That took about... 2 years to finish. Not having access to that road made congestion even worse naturally, but it would all be worth it in the end to be able to drive over those dang trains.

Finally, after the 2 years of waiting, the bridge opened. Traffic patterns changed favorably right away, but also people managed to crash into the railing that started the incline because it jutted out a bit. So they had to quickly fix that. Then, a few months later... maybe like 4 months, the train company decided that route was shitty and a money loser. They cut the tracks and stopped using it. There is now a very expensive bridge over train tracks that will never be used again...

shoeboxjeddy on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    There have been many instances where a car decided it could absolutely beat a train at the crossing. The only question when these incidents occur is if the person was inside the car at moment of contact, because there isn't much left afterward if they were.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I live in a tiny apartment building (it's actually a bit more complex than that, but I don't feel like explaining right now). And there's someone living here who has symptoms that may indicate that they're infected by the coronavirus. But, it being the coronavirus, it may also be a some other disease.

They were tested yesterday, and now we're all just waiting for the test results. Until the results are in, the building's on lockdown and nobody's allowed to leave. If it does turn out to be COVID-19, we won't be allowed to leave for at least two weeks.

So... that's fun.

Quoting myself to provide an update. Test came back negative, so we're in the clear. Not gonna lie, bit of a relief.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I live across the street from a big rail yard, but it's self contained in it's pathway that doesn't intersect any streets, so there's no honking, just an occasional *boom* when they're connecting cars and even that isn't very loud, especially if my AC is running or I have my headphones on, don't even notice it.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    My brain has turned into an aggressively incompetent secretary

*BEEP* "Mrpaku, your hour-long worry-about COVID is here"

"....Delores? It's one a.m. in the goddamn..."

"*BEEP* That traveling itch you ordered has arrived, should I send it in every two minutes for the next hour? *BEEP* We finally heard back from the stomach, I couldn't get ahold of you, so I scheduled the meeting for *now*, they're already waiting in the conference room. *BEEP* Roll over. *BEEP* You should probably roll over! *BEEP* Whoops, pressed the button by mistake *BEEP* Mrpaku, it's now light out, you've got an eight a.m. with your kids and...did you get any sleep?"

" NO, *Delores*, I didn't get any fucking sleep. Just figured I'd get some coffee, power through today, and try ag..."

"Alrighty! Scheduled you in for an "unreasonably tired, like tired enough to nap on the dog bed", at eleven a.m.!!"

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    PTO on basically shelter in place is still PTO

Thankful for it

Supply chain for healthcare is damn stressful

I think it's partly to blame for my as yet undiagnosed gastro problems

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    Man, that's bonkers. Trains here don't have to honk when they go through a crossing. I can get why that would be driving you mad, I don't think I could handle that.

Yeah that law was a new one to me. Seems like either it’s a compound of social and infrastructural issues that make track loitering a bigger problem here than elsewhere (the homeless encampments are often near the tracks, for example), or that other places have developed different mitigation strategies.

it wouldn’t be anywhere near as much an issue if I wasn’t working at home because I’d be out of the house during peak train hours. I wonder if noise complaints are going to go up this year ...

It's also a changing neighborhood issue around here in many cases; a lot of the big developments near rail lines around here are located in former industrial/heavy commercial districts where the trains were/are required to really lean on that sumbitch so that like big delivery trucks and forklifts and such can hear them over their own noise.

Edit - but there's a new page and you covered this!

MrMonroe on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Man, that's bonkers. Trains here don't have to honk when they go through a crossing. I can get why that would be driving you mad, I don't think I could handle that.

Yeah that law was a new one to me. Seems like either it’s a compound of social and infrastructural issues that make track loitering a bigger problem here than elsewhere (the homeless encampments are often near the tracks, for example), or that other places have developed different mitigation strategies.

it wouldn’t be anywhere near as much an issue if I wasn’t working at home because I’d be out of the house during peak train hours. I wonder if noise complaints are going to go up this year ...

At least one community I was near in atlanta lobbied somehow to have them not honk at a crossing near their houses. They were TOTALLY a set of NIMBY unusually large houses on a major cross street that also put up signs telling people to not use their street as the major cross street it was though. So they were probably pretty actively annnoying about the train.

Edit: I think monroe and I did the same thing. so uh. refresh your pages kids

QuantumTurk on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The train honks are especially a Thing in town here, as there was a really horrific crash several years back in my neighborhood when the sensors for the gate/lights failed, and so a train cut through a bus that was going through the crossing during rush hour, and that bus was the main public transit option from this suburb to the core so it was....pretty full

Several fatalities including the driver, they spent years trying to sort out why that crossing was faulty and VIA Rail kept a human employed to watch over that crossing for like two or three years

I think the honks are at least considered to be like a secondary, just in case warning method here

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My city has spent a TON of money over the past 30 years building overpass ramps to get on/off the highway so people could avoid delays by train, when the train company could have spent a tenth of that to just move the tracks, or build elevated rail, but since they are independent companies that have been here for for like 200 years, they are under no obligation to follow any orders the city or state gives them. They can just tell the government to fuck off, we're doing it our way. I suspect quite a few other states and cities have similar "arrangements".

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Also whooooof, last night my Mom had fairly high blood pressure, and she's had a stroke before, so to be safe we called the hospital, who connected us to a telehealth nurse, who connected us to 911 to be safe, who sent out an ambulance and had her go to the hospital to be monitored until her blood pressure got normal again and she was sent home at 4 in the morning, with the advisement they'd set her up with a cardiologist to keep an eye on things

Extremely grateful to be in a place where we didn't have to worry about it costing us anything, and that this happened to happen on the day where Ontario has had the lowest case increase in 3 months (111 for the province) so I'm not super concerned in retrospect about her getting exposed to covid there, and we can sorta just move on in the aftermath

But oh man is it not encouraging when the paramedics detect a slight fever and have to deck themselves out in protective gear, and adding the stress of "but covid is vascular and causing strokes so maybe" to the general stress of sending a family member off solo in an ambulance is not ideal

Anyway I guess I'm gonna be doing a lot of napping today

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm glad she's feeling better, Cello.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    FUCK YOU uh ... nycgov, I guess
    yeah that sounds right.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    As long as that 0-9 line stays low, all of the other statistics are basically irrelevant.

Now, when people look at those numbers and try to pit blame on an age group as a whole, they can rightly go suck a tailpipe.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    i would rather not have graphics with nightmarish data look like a fox searchlight movie title card

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    For anyone who's never had the good fortune of fully disassociating, here's an image that will basically do it for you, courtesy of La Ligadnwzh1ayqh59.jpg

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, that image upsets my eyes.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It looks like they covered the stands in pizza.gif

Undead Scottsman on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I legit can't tell if that's an actual match or a FIFA screencap

I think it's a real match they're trying to badly digitally edit in crowds for because of pandemic

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited July 2020
    but what unholy content fill brush did they use to generate these pizza-crowds, is the thing
    the pattern base looks like the eviscerated intestines of a 32-bit sprite character

tynic on
    I bet they tried to jury-rig the software they use for compositing in ads on arena walls in the TV broadcast feed to compositing in a crowd, and the software both isn't designed to be used like that and the person doing it probably isn't a pro VFX artist

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Just show empty stands. Everyone knows there's a pandemic on!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I thought they were real, like a canvas printed sheet draped over the seats so the players would feel like they had an audience too at a glance. Like audience camo. You stare at it, and it doesn't work, but at a glance it looks like full stands.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I feel like sex dolls would absolutely work in a lot of European leagues tho

Like dolls with big dongers, gotta be representative

I miss real football/soccer.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

There's nothing in the rule-book that says a sex doll can't play?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    on the plus side, my Sounder 2019 MLS cup champions hat is still valid!

Zonugal wrote: »

There's nothing in the rule-book that says a sex doll can't play?

Every side needs a strong 69

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

This happened in south korea and caused a major scandal!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

The dumb part being that people were so upset about it, honestly

Right, I think like Belarus or Netherlands can easily pull it off though

Child behind me in the supermarket queue "...and you gotta look for snakes because snakes are dangerous..."
    His father: "snakes are dangerous? What about friendly snakes who hug you?"
    Me: my dude you are deliberately setting this kid up to get killed by a python, aren't you

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Child behind me in the supermarket queue "...and you gotta look for snakes because snakes are dangerous..."
    His father: "snakes are dangerous? What about friendly snakes who hug you?"
    Me: my dude you are deliberately setting this kid up to get killed by a python, aren't you

quarantine prolly ain't made that dude too happy

This discussion has been closed.