As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    If you need health packs for out of combat healing, you have a (lack of) healer problem.
    Health packs are for the flankers to fight over or to quickly top their health, before diving back in. In duels they heal the better player, not 'random player'.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    When I am cynical about the state of support I tend to think that Blizzard has started making decisions less on balance and more on what will look super cool on a twitch stream and sees healing as a drag that slows down those righteous kill shots, bro, or worst case actually reverses the effect of a righteous kill shot, bro.

I may have spent a few months healing in WoW battlegrounds that may have contributed to this somewhat jaundiced attitude.

Nobody likes over-tuned healing, it results in games of endless DPS spam where nobody dies so the objectives never progress. It doesn't really require a cynical explanation.

Over-tuning is probably a matter of opinion. My personal best world is one where a support class putting 100% of their effort into keeping someone alive should be able to mitigate any non-ultimate, non-headshot damage from a single other character and that it should take at least two DPS to kill their heal target. So that would need, what, 450hps to counter the damage a Bastion can put out?

Obviously we are not going to see that, but I would like support to be at a point where it does more than just slightly slow down how fast someone dies, which is my opinion now. More interesting support ults would go a long way there. Like, an ult that gives everyone in its area of effect a life steal ability, or an ult that gives a character a damage reflection shield.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    jammu wrote: »
    If you need health packs for out of combat healing, you have a (lack of) healer problem.
    Health packs are for the flankers to fight over or to quickly top their health, before diving back in. In duels they heal the better player, not 'random player'.

For the first, the best healers in the world still aren't expected to follow something diving deep into the backlines like Ball or Tracer. They shouldn't just be forced to go "welp, low on health, time to die" either though. Out of combat healing separate for healers is definitely something that should exist in some form or another.

For the second, you're assuming a one vs one for largely DPS (or support). When it's tanks bashing against each other like silverbacks in the traditional dance of dominance... I also specifically called out Anubis because that's a place where fights break out literally on top of a health pack all the time (left side of Anubis A choke hallway from attacker's perspective). That's not a matter of competing over it with the other team, but the rest of your team stuffed into that area, a burst of 250 healing being periodically pulsed out.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    When I am cynical about the state of support I tend to think that Blizzard has started making decisions less on balance and more on what will look super cool on a twitch stream and sees healing as a drag that slows down those righteous kill shots, bro, or worst case actually reverses the effect of a righteous kill shot, bro.

I may have spent a few months healing in WoW battlegrounds that may have contributed to this somewhat jaundiced attitude.

Nobody likes over-tuned healing, it results in games of endless DPS spam where nobody dies so the objectives never progress. It doesn't really require a cynical explanation.

Over-tuning is probably a matter of opinion. My personal best world is one where a support class putting 100% of their effort into keeping someone alive should be able to mitigate any non-ultimate, non-headshot damage from a single other character and that it should take at least two DPS to kill their heal target. So that would need, what, 450hps to counter the damage a Bastion can put out?

Obviously we are not going to see that, but I would like support to be at a point where it does more than just slightly slow down how fast someone dies, which is my opinion now. More interesting support ults would go a long way there. Like, an ult that gives everyone in its area of effect a life steal ability, or an ult that gives a character a damage reflection shield.

What you're describing is pretty much already how it works, except obviously against someone like Bastion which would be crazy. One DPS killing someone who's continuously being healed, say by Mercy's 55 HPS, is quite hard in practice. Not hard if they're standing still letting you unload your max DPS point blank, but hard in actual combat conditions. If healing were any stronger then literally the only way you could play the game would be to kill the healers first before you even look at the other players.

• Options

What you're describing is pretty much already how it works, except obviously against someone like Bastion which would be crazy. One DPS killing someone who's continuously being healed, say by Mercy's 55 HPS, is quite hard in practice. Not hard if they're standing still letting you unload your max DPS point blank, but hard in actual combat conditions. If healing were any stronger then literally the only way you could play the game would be to kill the healers first before you even look at the other players.

You are describing my perfect world.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Hard if you're against something slippery, but definitely not when it comes to tanks who are largely all or nothing, either able to totally shut off DPS through barrier/DM or similar, or have to eat it at its worst, which is more than any healer can keep up with. Damage also has an advantage because healing is reactionary and naturally capped. ie You can't heal over max health (well, outside of Brig's ult these days), and you can't heal once HP goes under zero.

E:
    "Kill the healers first" as an absolute wouldn't work without some massive changes just because it's so easy for healers to stay behind cover and out of harm's way. That in itself is a function of map design though, and how focused on choke points maps are. DPS -should- be able to overpower them. Not if they're missing every other shot or the like though, which is about where healing strength feels like it's generally located, but that's just an impression pulled from my butt.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Powerful healing probably also wouldn’t work well with the current design where a single character can contest a point / contest the cart movement. You’d have to change that to the team with the most people on the point or near the cart would have control, which would completely invalidate snipers.

Which I’m a-ok with actually come to think of it. But I acknowledge that is not a popular view.

• Options
    Eh. In the beforetimes, people would go memey 5/6 healer comps, and it turns out that it's still really easy to overwhelm all that healing.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    If anything, healing is overtuned. It's at a level where burst damage is way better than sustained damage. AoE heals are out of control and I think they need to implement some sort of limit on how much healing a single person can receive.

Yeah a big reason Zen is meh outside of how diveable he is, is simply because his low sustain healing just can't compete with the AoE healers who also spike higher.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    If anything, healing is overtuned. It's at a level where burst damage is way better than sustained damage. AoE heals are out of control and I think they need to implement some sort of limit on how much healing a single person can receive.

Yeah a big reason Zen is meh outside of how diveable he is, is simply because his low sustain healing just can't compete with the AoE healers who also spike higher.

Then make his healing orb AOE. You throw it on a teammate, it heals in a 6-foot radius around said teammate.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Then make his healing orb AOE. You throw it on a teammate, it heals in a 6-foot radius around said teammate.

I think it'd probably be healthier to strengthen ST healing and weaken AoE. I think it'd be better if you didn't lose the orb when LoS is lost, or automatically re-applying it to someone else when the target dies.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah I'm not really a fan of adding even more AoE healing. not only does it lower the skill ceiling for support players by automating their actions, it also just doesn't feel as fun or impactful.

like if you're playing Brig or Lucio, intellectually you know that your aoe is healing people, but it doesn't actually feel like you're doing anything useful. if those characters were somehow providing the same total amount of healing, but doing it with conscious targeted skills/abilities, that would be a way better game-feel. (it's not really a 1-to-1 since e.g. Lucio getting to heal and attack at the same time is nice, but just as a general example.)

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    yeah I'm not really a fan of adding even more AoE healing. not only does it lower the skill ceiling for support players by automating their actions, it also just doesn't feel as fun or impactful.

like if you're playing Brig or Lucio, intellectually you know that your aoe is healing people, but it doesn't actually feel like you're doing anything useful. if those characters were somehow providing the same total amount of healing, but doing it with conscious targeted skills/abilities, that would be a way better game-feel. (it's not really a 1-to-1 since e.g. Lucio getting to heal and attack at the same time is nice, but just as a general example.)

I'm not sure that AoE healing is inherently less skill intensive than single target, it just depends on the skills involved. It can be a lot tougher to land a Bap shot just right than it is to simply top off a few teammates with Mercy. Neither is really 'automated' though, I'm unclear on what that actually means in this context.

I personally agree that active, dynamic healing feels better than what Brig and Lucio do most of the time, but I also think it's a perfectly fine design space to exist, so long as the balance is right.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

Honestly, if the armor (are they still called that) packs were what caused inspire, and they just had the cooldown without the limit (maybe lasted a little longer in compensation) it might feel better.

Or something. Just spitballing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    1W14C08.png

This is what happens when your team can't kill their Tracer, and their team can't kill your Lucio. One round, 9 minutes, approaching 20k heals. 5 ults. Christ, that was exhausting.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I actually find brig really fun to play now. She's sorta like mercy where most of her play is positioning, but its on much more of a ragged edge where you've gotta keep landing your skillshots and a badly chosen stun too close to the enemy team can leave you as a sitting duck. Like she can feel dominant but you can also fuck up and feed, or play too passive and run out of heal packs and just sit there while your team melts.

She's not super active in the sense of like nailing shots on heal targets, but she's still quite active in terms of keeping her aura up.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Kasyn wrote: »

I'm not sure that AoE healing is inherently less skill intensive than single target, it just depends on the skills involved. It can be a lot tougher to land a Bap shot just right than it is to simply top off a few teammates with Mercy. Neither is really 'automated' though, I'm unclear on what that actually means in this context.

I personally agree that active, dynamic healing feels better than what Brig and Lucio do most of the time, but I also think it's a perfectly fine design space to exist, so long as the balance is right.

I guess this is more of what I meant, passive healing that isn't really engaged with the player directly. Zen's single-target healing feels fairly active because you have to constantly juggle who you're giving it to, but if that were made into aoe it would be much more of a fire-and-forget ability a lot of the time. I have no issue with Bap's aoe healing, other than the rare times that he builds ult in like 2 seconds if you're playing a deathball comp and healing up tons of damage all at once.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Kana wrote: »
    I actually find brig really fun to play now. She's sorta like mercy where most of her play is positioning, but its on much more of a ragged edge where you've gotta keep landing your skillshots and a badly chosen stun too close to the enemy team can leave you as a sitting duck. Like she can feel dominant but you can also fuck up and feed, or play too passive and run out of heal packs and just sit there while your team melts.

She's not super active in the sense of like nailing shots on heal targets, but she's still quite active in terms of keeping her aura up.

I just cannot keep track of "who needs healing?" While in the middle of a melee, and I don't want to waste my packs, so her recent nerf made me choose her a lot less.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Kasyn wrote: »

I guess this is more of what I meant, passive healing that isn't really engaged with the player directly. Zen's single-target healing feels fairly active because you have to constantly juggle who you're giving it to, but if that were made into aoe it would be much more of a fire-and-forget ability a lot of the time. I have no issue with Bap's aoe healing, other than the rare times that he builds ult in like 2 seconds if you're playing a deathball comp and healing up tons of damage all at once.

Inspire and Crossfade are also kind of bad because they're so invisible. Like that game I screenshotted above. The DVa was complaining for like the first 5 minutes that there wasn't any healing. I mean, they were in part right because the other healer was on Ana and having their ass handed to them by Tracer, but I was basically maxing out on healing and keeping most of the team alive solo. But that's definitely a feedback thing that the game would be greatly improved by making more visible and automatic. Just something like an automatic "thanks for the healing" voiceline that triggers by... I don't know, getting healed to at least 75% HP after being under 50% or something. It's kind of wacky that there's multiple lines for picking up healthpacks, but not for allies healing you. Making it more consistent would help too. Mercy is just... such a bundle of bad design decisions that if she was released today, you'd think they were insane.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I think it's most apparent with Brig. If you watch a GM stream Brig is an auto pick. If you play Brig in sub Diamond people will ask you to pick a real healer.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QYfbmx9tlc

I get why it's like this (the faux floor that Grav/Flux create to activate Beat got removed in between applying the upward pull but before the downward movement began), but yeesh, the momentum on this was super weird.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QYfbmx9tlc

I get why it's like this (the faux floor that Grav/Flux create to activate Beat got removed in between applying the upward pull but before the downward movement began), but yeesh, the momentum on this was super weird.

ok yeah I'm with you but can you go back into that replay and show us that pulse bomb that somehow killed an ulting Sigma, a Symmetra, and a Brig?

asking for a friend @Chance

• Options
    It's less interesting than you'd think. At least for that reason. They all got grav'ed by a Zarya hiding in the corner as they walked through the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK1odxnbuG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IRw-kQudvU

Although the spectator angle does show that A.) Moira was in there too, but noped out, B.) The ulting Genji dashes in and then is visibly disappointed that everything is already dead, and C.) I had shrugged off one of their tanks almost immediately complaining that their DPS were throwing, but that Sym sure as fuck looks like she was throwing. So I checked a few other spots and... yeah. Both their DPS were walking straight to the point, only occasionally/randomly tapping LMB, rarely when pointed at anything, but mostly not, almost never using any abilities, and frequently AFKing in spawn. So... yeah. Baffled as to how that stuff is not caught automatically. Honestly didn't even look like a human playing, and I would be amazed if either reached even 1k damage.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    lol omg thank you for posting that, there's so much to enjoy in there. the ulting genji that literally stands there after everyone is dead is just *chef's kiss*

the whole thing is like a modern Renaissance painting in motion

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ...And then there's the Moira, who just gave up on life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9k8GqW8Ik

Every new angle is somehow worse. That whole bit is just... a mess. But *I* didn't wake up the hamster.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    man if I was her I would have done the exact same thing

(I mean she should have faded back toward spawn and not into the corner, but once she was there may as well accept your fate)

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Is there a trick or something to playing Orisa well? Ever since the shield nerf, it feels like every time I play her the enemy team just holds W and rolls us. Shield + Fortify isn't even enough to save me personally. Do I just need to position myself far away from the objective or something? This is QP, not a coordinated double shield team.

Zek on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well yeah, Orisa is only really strong with a Sigma or in some cases a Roadhog backing her up.

Or as an off tank to Rein.

By herself its a lot harder. You'll have to play corners a lot more to make up for her weak shield.

Or just play Winston or Rein instead.

• Options
    I'm thinking I need to be more selective about my own team comp when I pick her, particularly our DPS. My shield needs to be a little ways back in order to survive, so I need to be playing with DPSers who can operate at that range and won't be diving/flanking.

• Options
    It's really important to stagger your use of shield and fortify, once both are down you're pretty screwed. You can push forward with your shield to control more space, but generally you need to be positioning near corners and walls so you still have a fallback position during those moments of off time when your cooldowns are used.

Use fortify to walk in on the enemy team or to stop a dive. Fortify is preventative and most effective when you still have your armor because damage reduction and armor stack, so you wanna bait enemies into committing to trying to kill you and then fortify and punish.

Using halt really depends on what the enemy comp is. Pull enemies off of high ground, pull rein back and up so it takes longer for him to push in on you, halt drive tanks 4 seconds after they dive on you to fuck up their attempts to escape.

Also sometimes against certain strats orisa just sucks and you need to change.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Definitely the biggest issue I see with orisa are players who don't position near corners. They stand still in the middle of a clearing, exhaust shield, fortify, and then melt. You can be aggressive but you need an exit plan.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the other thing to do with shield is throw it behind a tank (or dps) coming at you to block ana/moira's from healing. definitely have to hug corners.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    How have they not nerfed genji already? It’s fun for the genji and like no one else.

• Options
    sanstodo wrote: »
    How have they not nerfed genji already? It’s fun for the genji and like no one else.

They already said there is gonna be a new experimental card coming up with Genji nerfs.

Also took a quick look at open queue out of curiosity. The team comps are pretty much what I expected.

• Options
    Quick Play Classic is good for when I want to get some quick DPS in and not think about team comp at all, one step above deathmatch. I dunno why people want to play competitive that way.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    New experimental mode that nerfs Genji and buffs the fuck out of Moira. I just...I don't know what they're thinking with her.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/experimental/

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Hoooooooly shit, Blizzard.

Giving Moira a freebie AoE cleanse and immunity is not fucking it.

This is on top of the orb change that is basically "Fuck you, tanks" yet again.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    She's a highly mobile, self sustaining, auto-aiming healer. It stands as the exact opposite of Ana in a lot of ways.

But it also means she has very little team utility outside of raw damage and healing; not a tonne of interplay for Moira to offer a team.

What this does is allow Fade to be a teamwork ability that has the capability for clutch plays. There being no downside to it seems troubling. Likely a Fade CD increase or somesuch to be added.

The Orb change doesn't feel like a buff, but a rework. You can continue to spam it into places, but the reward for directing it towards a specific target has increased.

They're trying to increase her skill ceiling, and after 200+ hours with her, I am very intrigued.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I like the Fade change.

It gives some counterplay to a lot of abilities that have no real counterplay and it gives her some utility which at higher levels is what she's missing.

That said I don't know if it'll be enough.

The Fade ability is cool but it seems unwieldy and probably will only be really good as a Ana counter.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-retail-patch-notes-%E2%80%93-july-23-2020/529601/1
    Genji
    Shuriken
    • (General) Damage decreased from 30 to 28
    • (Secondary Fire) Recovery increased from 0.65 to 0.75

Moira
    Biotic Grasp
    Attach angle reduced by 37%

Biotic Orb (Damage Orb Only)
    • Damage radius reduced from 4 meters to 3 meters
    • Projectile slow amount after a target is found increased from -72.5% to -80%
    • Damage-per-second now scales based on how close the target(s) are to the Biotic Orb
    • Between 0 – 1 meter: It will deal 150 damage per second
    • Between 1 meter – 3 meters : Scales linearly down from 150 to 25 damage per second
    • Note: The normal damage orb on live is always 50 damage per second
    • The total potential damage the Biotic Orb can deal is unchanged: 200 damage total

Fade
    • Now phases out all allies within 6 meters (and self) for 1 second after exiting Fade
    • Phasing makes a hero immune to all damage and effects. It will work exactly like Reaper’s Wraith Form or Moira’s own Fade effect in this regard

These Moira changes are shit-hot. Really hope they go live (though they will probably have to bump up the cooldown of Fade to compensate for the group utility it now has.)

Kasyn on