As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Maritime is only good in multiplayer to maximize naval potential. Otherwise yeah it isn't very good, especially since the diplo idea groups are the most competitive in terms of most of the others being bangers. Exploration is almost a must for many nations, diplomatic is arguably the single best first idea group in the game for most nations (especially in Europe), infleunce and espionage aren't *as* good as diplomatic, but they're still amazing. Even trade, which is certainly much less useful than it was way back in the dau, can get you *more* money than maritime can.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I found a handy bug! If you have 100% crown land, selling land to the estates doesn't give them any land, but you get the cash and the increased loyalty.

Been playing as Mewar to get their achievements and wow they are kind of a secret military powerhouse. Their ideas and mission tree are great and synergize super well with rajput regiments.

I'm Rajputana now and for awhile I've had a rajput only elite army (with cavalry and artillery support though) that has just been annihilating anything I throw it against, even against worse than 2-1 odds. And the only military ideas I have gone for so far is quantity so they don't even have any extra buffs besides Mewar/Rajputana's ideas+rajput modifiers+rajput estate modifiers.

edited July 2020
    With a Little Help:
    BB2DA02D23D0F228469AD1CA989E46A96F25153D
    Dalmatia has good ideas

edit: Finally bought the DLC and decided to play as Mulhouse. Managed to form swabia in less than fourty years with no outside help (just Konstantz and Ulm) so that felt pretty good.
    77F30DC84F2129012A4DC0CF1ABF0D3DB9C00656

Gundi on
    Every fucking time I want to play as Portugal, the fucking Reformation kicks off 30 years earlier than normal. I want to play as New Providence, so I'm busy colonising the Caribbean, and I get 3 provinces in before reformation in 1480.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    With a Little Help:
    Dalmatia has good ideas

edit: Finally bought the DLC and decided to play as Mulhouse. Managed to form swabia in less than fourty years with no outside help (just Konstantz and Ulm) so that felt pretty good.

Re: that Swabia pic, it's 1494 and the Papacy is dead? WTF?!

uH3IcEi.png
    Turns out New Providence is harder to play as than I thought.
    First, you get the religion of your coloniser at the time New Providence is created, not the religion of the province or the colonial nation you split from. I made the province Sunni, and most of the Caribbean too, and it turns out that was a mistake.
    Second, you start with one province, no provinces are in range for you to fabricate on, and the most valuable provinces for raiding are too far away.
    Third, you start with Plutocratic and Economic ideas, which isn't very helpful.

When I finally got through this I annexed most of Caraibas in one war, because I'm all the way over here, and they're Sunni, who's going to care? Turns out most of Europe still cares. I immediately got declared on by a coalition of France, England, Scotland, Portugal, Savoy, parts of Ireland and Italy... kinda bonkers.

edited July 2020
    Monwyn wrote: »
    With a Little Help:
    Dalmatia has good ideas

Re: that Swabia pic, it's 1494 and the Papacy is dead? WTF?!

The papacy was in liege. They eventually got rome back though. Reformation spawned in Siena so... was rough for the ole pope.

Gundi on
    The old revolution mechanics were not good but the new revolution mechanics also seem not good.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    They're easy to break and not in a good way at all

The Burgundian Conquest! Remember, liberty desire is just a number

26FBC159A820A6510280C282357E72C2084982A8

My excitement was premature. I didn't get the achievement because it requires holding all the lowlands too, not just france and austria as subjects. That'd be fine, because I can inherit them for free with the Burgundian event... except it never fired. I was getting heirs all over the place, and apparently as Burgundy you're not meant to? And then when you don't have an heir you get Marie. Well I never didn't have an heir, so bollocks.

I've been trying to figure out how to get a Reformed Empire. There is supposed to be an Imperial incident that fires if the Protestant League is victorious where the Reformers protest against Protestantism being the official Religion that can potentially result in Reformed becoming the official religion of the empire if most princes are reformed, or alternatively result in a Treaty of Westphalia if Protestantism is only followed by a minority of the princes.

But in several games where the Protestant League was victorious I have never seen the incident fire.

I had a save from 30 years earlier, so I'm trying to recreate the above screenshot but now Marie's on the throne because of aggressive disowning of heirs. (Before, I was told that if the heir was young enough Marie would still appear)

And halfway through I get asked if I want to contest England's succession. Uuuuuuuuuuuugh I want to, I really want to, but I have no manpower and no boats, so it's not a war I could win. Felt so bad to decline that option.

edited July 2020
    Switzerland was always pretty strong but the merc changes plus them getting more provinces plus their mission tree and unique government type has made them into a real an insane military powerhouse. I'm playing a game as them and I had a coalition war declared on me by basically all of the HRE minus Austria, Bohemia, Pomerania and Brandenburg and I obliterated them with my mercenary armies. France, Commonwealth, Spain, Ottomans? Pfah.

Gundi on
    I managed to do it! Burgundy united! The idea of this run is that when the succession occurs, if you choose to be a junior PU you instantly inherit all your subjects, so if you choose to be a junior to France, and France is your subject, you inherit everything and remain independent. All you have to do is defeat one of the strongest countries about 4 times within the first 50 years, and you have to be constantly at war for most of it because you'll have a dozen disloyal vassals, and you'll have no dip mana or dip tech, and constantly face the threat of a coalition. It's a pretty stressful game, but feels good to get it done.

DAEA4C23DA7D4192D96ADA2FD28C4F27FE0E9D3F

Now I just need to slowly conquer the lowlands, then release France and Austria as vassals, and I'll have the achievement!

edited July 2020
    It is kind of goofy to me that I think the Economic and Naval Hegemon military bonuses are better than the Military Hegemon ones.

Economic has the best in general effects, and +10% merc discipline and +100% merc manpower are definitely the strongest military bonuses. Naval gets the very powerful +20% artillery damage at max power.
    Military gets... -20% land attrition, +20% siege ability, and +10% movement speed. Lower land attrition is normally quite useful, but it seems an almost silly thing to give to a nation that can field an army of over a million men. +20% siege ability and +10% movement speed are both really good too... but against the other hegemony they'd probably lose.

Gundi on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    How do you even got to the military one? Like, i played as Ottomans and had Quantity idea and was a green giant and had dumped a ton of points into manpower and built the buildings and was still only at like 450k.

Is this only for those "i am taking over the world" games at which point it becomes irrelevant?

Because the economic one i could have easily hit in my Castille/Spain game wit treasure ship naval tradition where after all the costs were accounted for i was still pulling in like 5k gold per month at the end. Alas, was in the prior patch.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2020
    Very Hard AI can get it by spamming FL buildings but they currently lack the money/spam coastal defences instead

Platy on
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    It is kind of goofy to me that I think the Economic and Naval Hegemon military bonuses are better than the Military Hegemon ones.

Economic has the best in general effects, and +10% merc discipline and +100% merc manpower are definitely the strongest military bonuses. Naval gets the very powerful +20% artillery damage at max power.
    Military gets... -20% land attrition, +20% siege ability, and +10% movement speed. Lower land attrition is normally quite useful, but it seems an almost silly thing to give to a nation that can field an army of over a million men. +20% siege ability and +10% movement speed are both really good too... but against the other hegemony they'd probably lose.

With 20% siege ability you're winning every race, and with +10% movement speed and a general with decent maneuver pips you're unlikely to have to take a fight you don't want. Artillery bonuses don't really matter if they never get to shoot.

uH3IcEi.png
    I Nevers thought I'd get this achievement:
    8E5E1BEA94F01F71FC8E7284DEED60C56DBD7155

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Prester John on VH. Ethiopia is a lot of fun in 1.30. Went Innovative-Offensive-Religious-Quantity-Diplomatic, since Coptic Ethiopia gets 20% CCR by default. Ottomans were extremely weak this game, which became a huge problem in the midgame when Austria invaded all the way down to Anatolia while I had a truce with the Ottomans and I had to fight a very strong Austria in order to take Constantinople. Rather than take them head-on I used a holy war CB against The Knights, to draw in Austria due to Catholic Defender of the Faith, and racked up enough war score to take it with unjustified demands. All my AE was in Muslim and Hindu territory, so I'm not worried about a European coalition. Not sure what my next objective should be for this game. Maybe form a Coptic Roman Empire? Holy War goes together with Coptic like peanut butter and chocolate, it's so great.

z61cusp3s55d.jpg

A lot of the new mission trees they added in western europe are real fun.

Provence can potentially get PUs over Naples, Aragon, and Hungary, plus free claims on the levant just for PUing Naples and taking Sicily from Aragon. (Makes Good King Rene waaay easier than it used to be.)

Florence has a neat mission tree which mainly just gives you lots of very good temporary modifiers and free claims over all of Italy. You get things like temporarily reduced idea and tech cost, cheaper advisors, cheaper development cost, etc. It really plays well to their reputation of being the tech leader of EUIV. Plus you get an easy way to switch to monarchy from the end of a mission tree. (Finish the line about estates and you'll have the option to become a monarchy, become a noble republic, or keep your italian republican government and get some stability. If you go monarchy you'll get enough government reform points to instantly max out all your government reforms.)

Italian Signoria seems terrible at first glance but it's actually pretty good, it's effectively a monarchy where you get to swap your ruler every twelve years if they suck or you get a monarch power boost

edited August 2020
    Prince of Egypt:
    F5533E96C45B9D0AC70E5B7341EEAA127BEDE892
    Yes I did get a PU over Austria. No I didn't do anything to get it. (And yes my dynasty is still the Medicis.) Will probably continue to get the Arabian Coffee achievement. Also considering I have a hundred innovativeness and innovative ideas, I'm probably pretty close to the world record for this achievement since it's gate kept by admin tech 20 which I took as soon as I could.

Gundi on
    Giving the world a perm
    A7D779E496D4525601A812B5E966C02CB6EDEAE8
    Yes that is France bordering me and yes they were/are scary.

Who's addicted to spamming forts? Not me, I'm no fortaholic.

07B1FE622C9577A5ECD4F5765C5FDFF583903577

that's not how minghals is supposed to go!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I never liked how Totemist has literally no reason to stay Totemist once you reform your government. Super interested to see what they do.

They set up a new studio to continue development on EU4

Not sure how I feel about it considering they've been unable so far to fix what's fundamentally broken with the game and the last expansion created a host of new problems or exacerbated existing ones

I'd prefer waiting for an EU5 at this point with better AI and a completely new direction for coalitions and truces

edited October 2020
    True Heir of Timur on Very Hard, started as Transoxiana

ghX5dtn.jpg

Platy on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    They set up a new studio to continue development on EU4

Not sure how I feel about it considering they've been unable so far to fix what's fundamentally broken with the game and the last expansion created a host of new problems or exacerbated existing ones

I'd prefer waiting for an EU5 at this point with better AI and a completely new direction for coalitions and truces

I'm a little confused why they would set up a new studio to work on EU4. I mean they have an existing team working on it, so does this imply an EU5 is coming? And honestly if it's mostly the same people that worked on EU4, I wouldn't really expect it to be all that different, but probably prettier (like CK3) and maybe in a new iteration of the engine (I don't know if CK3 uses a different engine from the older games).

I wish that Victoria 2 was popular enough to have them release a Victoria 3, because I've really been enjoying Victoria 2 quite a lot, but I'd really like to have a better UI and some bug fixes.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2020
    Stellaris, CK3 and Imperator are also in development at their Swedish studio, they've shifted people around a lot in the past (the game's gone through various directors, content designers, programmers)

Whiz is working on some unannounced project at the moment - if I remember correctly - but I wouldn't bet my money on it being EU5 or Vicky 3 (unfortunately)

Platy on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't have any realistic hope of Victoria 3 being a thing. That time period doesn't have the same pull as World War 2 or the Age of Exploration. The Victorian Era is definitely important, but people that play grand strategy games don't (in general) seem to find it overly interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I've grown really fond of the Monopoly Privileges lately, because

1. They make getting to 50 loyalty for seizing crownland easier.
    2. They're an easy source of Mercantalism, and Mercantalism can really up your trade game if you farm enough of it.

Wish the Cossacks had a monopoly though, ot can be hard to keep them happy.

edited November 2020
    I wonder if I should try this in an actual game

Fp0gSYp.jpg

Platy on
    For 90% Administrative Efficiency, you need to start as Dithmarschen, form Prussia, form Sardinia-Piedmont, form Deccan and take their ideas and finally form Mughals

You're going to miss out on Mughal CCR since you need to stick with Deccani Ideas, but with so much Administrative Efficiency you can annex any culture in one go and instantly accept it before coring

The entire world is probably only around 2000% Overextension after that point

Bit unsure about the speediest way to eat Germany, maybe stacking minus Aggressive Expansion modifiers is the way to go

I got the hardest achievement! Chop Chop - have 6 spouses with one ruler.

But that's easy, right? Just play as Anglican and divorce them. Well, you see, that requires playing as England, which means I needed to go minmax crazy, get the PU over France, get a PU over Spain, get all the best colonies, transfer subject on Norway and Sweden, get the Burgundian inheritance, etc etc. It took several attempts over about 3 days just to make it to 1550.

I just got African Power! It ended with about 5 consecutive wars with the biggest AI Ottomans I've ever seen (and they used to own all of Egypt down to Ethiopia, and most of Tunisia too):
    2B03F4C8E823574EE8451A287E2BAF136ECC4EA4
    Bastard was allied with France and Russia too.

According to the ledger they've lost 12 million troops, beating #2 Russia who is on 3.4 million, and me at 3 million. And they still have 600k troops a month after our peace deal!