As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Social Media]: The Intersection Of Money, Policy, And Hate

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Yeah. Embedded firmware engineer here and if I could I would rip bluetooth out of my car, I will never buy a smart lock or smart home (MAYBE I'll get smart parts if they're fully wired and air-gapped), and fuck bluetooth laundry machines as convenient as they are.

:):)

Enthusiast here, angry that I can't install a smartlock on my apartment door and wishing I could voice control the windowblinds without spending so much.

We bought Hue lights for a bunch of our rooms because it was easier and cheaper than having an electrician wire outlets to the switches directly. Yelling at Alexa/Google to turn the lights on and off is novel the first few times, but I bought Hue switches for every room within a week of putting the lights in. It gets old real fucking fast.

Also fuck smartlocks.

Smartlocks are the way and the light. Easily the most convenient and useful smart home device on the market! Anybody who is gonna go to the trouble to hack your smartlock is already sufficiently motivated to get in by other means. :)

If I could tie my hue lights to a twitch stream I'd do it in an instant.

I've watched way to many LockpickingLawyer videos where he opens up a smart lock with like a lego minifig to trust those things.

From the outside it’s just a deadbolt! Besides, I can’t hear you over the sound of my front door unlocking automatically while I walk up to it with my arms full of groceries. :)

Yeah, it unlocks, but you still have to turn the knob. You're saving yourself almost no time here.

Like, I don't think locks keep people out. Not on homes at least. But they do prove someone broke in. So I'd rather someone kick the door open (and probably run away scared from our pitbull wanting to lick them) than use smart bullshit to open it from a distance.

Also IoT is a tire fire in general.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Yeah. Embedded firmware engineer here and if I could I would rip bluetooth out of my car, I will never buy a smart lock or smart home (MAYBE I'll get smart parts if they're fully wired and air-gapped), and fuck bluetooth laundry machines as convenient as they are.

:):)

Enthusiast here, angry that I can't install a smartlock on my apartment door and wishing I could voice control the windowblinds without spending so much.

We bought Hue lights for a bunch of our rooms because it was easier and cheaper than having an electrician wire outlets to the switches directly. Yelling at Alexa/Google to turn the lights on and off is novel the first few times, but I bought Hue switches for every room within a week of putting the lights in. It gets old real fucking fast.

Also fuck smartlocks.

Smartlocks are the way and the light. Easily the most convenient and useful smart home device on the market! Anybody who is gonna go to the trouble to hack your smartlock is already sufficiently motivated to get in by other means. :)

If I could tie my hue lights to a twitch stream I'd do it in an instant.

I've watched way to many LockpickingLawyer videos where he opens up a smart lock with like a lego minifig to trust those things.

From the outside it’s just a deadbolt! Besides, I can’t hear you over the sound of my front door unlocking automatically while I walk up to it with my arms full of groceries. :)

Yeah, it unlocks, but you still have to turn the knob. You're saving yourself almost no time here.

Like, I don't think locks keep people out. Not on homes at least. But they do prove someone broke in. So I'd rather someone kick the door open (and probably run away scared from our pitbull wanting to lick them) than use smart bullshit to open it from a distance.

Also IoT is a tire fire in general.

In a rural area, locks are pointless because they can be defeated cheaply.

But in any place where your nextdoor neighbors domicile is something you can hit by tossing a rock having a deadbolt that can't be defeated by gently breaking a little glass and reaching inside is a fairly decent security measure.

Because forcing that door is going to be relatively easy but it is going to be loud and that alone might deter someone from fucking around.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Motion-activated outside lights are a good household investment.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

All I ask if you do own these adjust the sensitivity up or down, and/or the angle.

Basically don't use the most common setting of " blind the delivery guy once he's 2 feet away from your door"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

All I ask if you do own these adjust the sensitivity up or down, and/or the angle.

Basically don't use the most common setting of " blind the delivery guy once he's 2 feet away from your door"

In addition "or have them set to an insect moved FLOOD EVERYTHING WITH LIGHT EVERYWHERE" when your fucking useless lights are pointed at my house, you god damned reprehensible shithead.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And back to the actual topic of the thread, Twitter has released their postmortem on the incident. Apparently, at least 8 of the hacked accounts had their DMs hoovered.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    And back to the actual topic of the thread, Twitter has released their postmortem on the incident. Apparently, at least 8 of the hacked accounts had their DMs hoovered.

To be clear, their statement says "up to eight," which means "eight." At least eight means "all of them, but we can prove eight."

uH3IcEi.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    My first CS professor earnestly introduced themselves as a Luddite on the first day of class :rotate:

Theres that old adage about different between a gadget person/tech enthusiast and the programmer
    Enthusiast: Everything I own is wired to the internet of things, I control it from my smartphone, my smart house is BT enabled and I can give it voice commands via alexa! I love the future!

Programmer: I have a printer from 2004 and a handgun in case it makes a noise I don't like

Also about the more you learn about science, the more you learn to trust it and its reliability, except the inverse is true about programming.

edit: went further off topic, slimming down post cuz I thought it was a different thread

That adage is completely unbelievable because there's no way someone in any tech or tech-adjacent industry would voluntarily subject themselves to the experience of owning a printer.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I make computer hardware for a living.

You should take all those thoughts about insecurity of software and apply them to hardware, too.

Remember, the S in IoT is for Security!

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    My first CS professor earnestly introduced themselves as a Luddite on the first day of class :rotate:

Theres that old adage about different between a gadget person/tech enthusiast and the programmer
    Enthusiast: Everything I own is wired to the internet of things, I control it from my smartphone, my smart house is BT enabled and I can give it voice commands via alexa! I love the future!

Programmer: I have a printer from 2004 and a handgun in case it makes a noise I don't like

Also about the more you learn about science, the more you learn to trust it and its reliability, except the inverse is true about programming.

edit: went further off topic, slimming down post cuz I thought it was a different thread

That adage is completely unbelievable because there's no way someone in any tech or tech-adjacent industry would voluntarily subject themselves to the experience of owning a printer.

I got a fairly nice printer/scanner when my old company shut down. The mothership didn't want to bother with shipping most things back to headquarters, so the half-dozen of us who were left got our pick of everything that wasn't nailed down.

I must have accidentally turned on open wireless printing at some point, though, because one of my neighbors managed to print a work document on it.

(Fortunately there was an email address on said document, so I was able to let them know what happened and apologize for unintentionally running a honeypot >_< And then lock everything down, of course.)

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    what the hell

Technology is cool it’s the humans that suck

Captain Inertia on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Always disable the print spooler

https://windows-internals.com/printdemon-cve-2020-1048/

wbBv3fj.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

twitter taking action against QAnon bullshit.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

twitter taking action against QAnon bullshit.

I think they left out "months or years after we should have" in their statement.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    The best time was years ago, the 2nd best time is now.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Goumindong wrote: »

Wow, look at all the hot and on-topic social media content in this quote tree.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Guess who finally went too far, even for Twitter.

Donald Trump Jr was banned for his participation in the super bizarre recent all-out blitz on the alt-right pushing hydroxychloroquin as a miracle drug.

It's nice to know that there is a line somewhere.

Now do... -gestures at everything- the rest.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    This is hardly even a slap on the wrist.

He'll be back shortly, and push even more bullshit even harder. Twitter'll blink before he ever does.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah limiting of accounts tends to make people beat their alt-right drum harder in all the ways that Twitter doesn't act on as far as rule violations go.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Internal emails show that Facebook's acquisition of Instagram was primarily anticompetitive in nature:
    InIn late February 2012, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg emailed his chief financial officer, David Ebersman, to float the idea of buying smaller competitors, including Instagram and Path. “These businesses are nascent but the networks established, the brands are already meaningful, and if they grow to a large scale the could be very disruptive to us,” he wrote. “Given that we think our own valuation is fairly aggressive and that we’re vulnerable in mobile, I’m curious if we should consider going after one or two of them. What do you think?”

Ebersman was skeptical. “All the research I have seen is that most deals fail to create the value expected by the acquirer,” he wrote back. “I would ask you to find a compelling elucidation of what you are trying to accomplish.” Ebersman went on to list four potential reasons to buy companies and his thoughts on each: neutralizing a competitor, acquiring talent, integrating products to improve the Facebook service, and “other.”

It’s a combination of neutralizing a competitor and improving Facebook, Zuckerberg said in a reply. “There are network effect around social products and a finite number of different social mechanics to invent. Once someone wins at a specific mechanic, it’s difficult for others to supplant them without doing something different.”

Zuckerberg continued: “One way of looking at this is that what we’re really buying is time. Even if some new competitors springs up, buying Instagram, Path, Foursquare, etc now will give us a year or more to integrate their dynamics before anyone can get close to their scale again. Within that time, if we incorporate the social mechanics they were using, those new products won’t get much traction since we’ll already have their mechanics deployed at scale.”

Forty-five minutes later, Zuckerberg sent a carefully worded clarification to his earlier, looser remarks.

“I didn’t mean to imply that we’d be buying them to prevent them from competing with us in any way,” he wrote.

Stringer Bell wept.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Well that certainly knocks a few zeros off of my guess for how much it costs to bribe a Twitter employee.

Next we will learn they settled for a percentage of the take if the kid paid for lunch.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    On "I'm shocked that it took this long, seriously, the hell is wrong with Twitter" David Duke (yes that David Duke) got banned:
    New York (CNN Business)Twitter permanently banned the account of former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke on Thursday night, after multiple violations of the company's hateful conduct policy.

The company's policy forbids accounts that "promote violence against or directly attack or threaten other people" on the basis of personal characteristics. Duke, who was the leader of a KKK offshoot from 1974 to 1978, has been routinely condemned for racism, anti-Semitism, misogyny, and homophobia.
    It was unclear what specific action warranted Duke's suspension, but a Twitter spokesperson told CNN that the decision was "in line with our recently-updated guidance on harmful links."
    Twitter (TWTR) announced earlier this week that it would block certain URLs and links that contained hateful content, and stated that "accounts dedicated to sharing content which we block" could be suspended.
    For some, however, the decision to ban Duke — who had more than 53,000 followers — was too little, too late. Legal advocacy organization Southern Poverty Law Center, which specializes in litigation against white supremacist groups, called Twitter's actions as "a step in the right direction," while also chastising the move as "long overdue."

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I hope the people who jumped to RUSSIA!! will think for a second before jumping at shadows in the future.

Well that certainly knocks a few zeros off of my guess for how much it costs to bribe a Twitter employee.

Next we will learn they settled for a percentage of the take if the kid paid for lunch.
    He phished someone at Twitter who has access to their wildly insecure internal tools, he didn't bribe anyone. At least as far as we know.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shit you beat me to it. Here's some followup to that:
    Per pool, Trump said, “Well, I have that authority. I can do it with an executive order or that.” The pool says Trump made clear he was not in favor of a deal to let a U.S. company buy TikTok’s American operations.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Why does this matter? All I know about tiktok is it's the current social media platform for kids that will become obsolete in a few years cause it's full of olds, thus continuing the cycle.

There's a data mining concern with TikTok but I have a feeling Trump is driven by either his hate-boner for China, or hating that he gets made fun of on TikTok a lot.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    There's a data mining concern with TikTok but I have a feeling Trump is driven by either his hate-boner for China, or hating that he gets made fun of on TikTok a lot.

I imagine its the Tulsa rally pranks

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Tiktok has legitimate privacy concerns, most notably there's a hook in the app which allows for a remote actor to run unsigned code. Like, seriously, it's not a good app.

A decent amount of the criticism against it is rooted in xenophobia, though, and it's important not to feed that.

Trump, on the other hand, just hates them because teens organized the Tulsa rally ticket buying via it.

Jragghen on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    All the other, American-based social media apps harvest data just as much as Tiktok, but they sell that information or use it to strengthen their market stranglehold or give it to US law enforcement. Totally different than giving it to CHINESE companies or government.

Digital privacy should not only matter when the CCP is involved.

DarkPrimus on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

man what the fuck

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    All the other, American-based social media apps harvest data just as much as Tiktok, but they sell that information or use it to strengthen their market stranglehold or give it to US law enforcement. Totally different than giving it to CHINESE companies or government.

I mean, yeah?

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Digital privacy should not only matter when the CCP is involved.

I agree it shouldn't matter only when CCP is involved, but it's also important to not classify this as a "everyone does it" thing, either.

Post from person who reverse engineered the app: https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/fxgi06/comment/fmuko1m
    They have several different protections in place to prevent you from reversing or debugging the app as well. App behavior changes slightly if they know you're trying to figure out what they're doing. There's also a few snippets of code on the Android version that allows for the downloading of a remote zip file, unzipping it, and executing said binary. There is zero reason a mobile app would need this functionality legitimately.
    For what it's worth I've reversed the Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter apps. They don't collect anywhere near the same amount of data that TikTok does, and they sure as hell aren't outright trying to hide exactly whats being sent like TikTok is. It's like comparing a cup of water to the ocean - they just don't compare.

That being said, reading the paper send to imply they may have started from their conclusion and worked backwards, too, so also maybe take their hyperbole with salt?

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

man what the fuck

Man there's been so many big CVEs recently I forgot the print spooler was 2020. Fun part of that one is that patching only stops future priv-esc, you still have to manually remove any existing backdoors.

On topic I think it's hilarious that Twitter bought Vine before it even released, spent years trying to figure out what to do with it, and then killed it a year before TikTok launched in the US. Yet another example of Twitter mismanagement

Carpy on

Reporter for Vox.

Demanding tiktok sell their US operations and also the US Treasury gets a cut.

On what fucking grounds would the US Treasury "get a cut"?

He really does think the US government is his possession now, Jesus jumped up Christ.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

He really does think the US government is his possession now, Jesus jumped up Christ.

He means a bribe. He wants Microsoft to pay him a bribe for him putting the pressure on TikTok to sell their U.S. division to Microsoft so he can crow about how he made money on the deal and got to stick it to the Chinese.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    JaysonFour wrote: »

He means a bribe. He wants Microsoft to pay him a bribe for him putting the pressure on TikTok to sell their U.S. division to Microsoft so he can crow about how he made money on the deal and got to stick it to the Chinese.
    This makes too much sense. Also if it were his actual thinking, he does know he doesn't get to keep the treasury funds after he leaves office right?

This discussion has been closed.