As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Of course it's all connected.

Because it's all the fault of DA JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!!1!1!!!!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    A New York police union boss gave an interview where he had a Q mug. He is denying he knew what it meant, but won't say whose mug it was.
    HuffPost reporter:

That may actually be his office.
    Dr. Venture from Venture Bros.:

So a police union boss might be a Q conspiracy theorist. Wonderful

It's getting insane how ubiquitous Qanon is becoming on the right. It's gotten to the point I don't think a Republican politician could speak against it even if they wanted to because of how firmly it's gripped their voting base.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    They believe a group authority figures are using their power to cover up rape and murder committed by them.

It is understandable why a police union boss might believe in that because of projection. :P

Couscous on
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Excellent article. This paragraph stood out to me.
    The ability to believe two things at once—even completely contradictory things—is based on an underlying level of "higher order” thinking, the paper argued, an overriding belief that can make even conflicting ideas make sense. Simply put, it's the centralized belief that conspiracies and hidden deceptions underpin the world and guide human events

The banality of evil and a cold, uncaring universe really throws a wrench in some people's belief system. There is no meaning to life and there is no shadowy cabal of powerful people manipulating world events. There's just chaos and evil done in broad daylight or behind pitifully obvious lives.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I’m scared that QAnon is a prophecy not a conspiracy. All that stuff about executing Democratic leaders for crazy trumped-up charges? That’s what they want to do.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I’m scared that QAnon is a prophecy not a conspiracy. All that stuff about executing Democratic leaders for crazy trumped-up charges? That’s what they want to do.

Well yes. Because the Q believers are convinced that there’s a bunch of baby eating monsters on the other side. Of course you’d want to do whatever is necessary to stop all the horrible things they’re doing. It’s similar to the rhetoric that led to shootings at abortion clinics, except the QAnon types also believe that Trump has this handled and things will be wrapped up any day now.

If the true believers ever lose their faith in the existence of a counter conspiracy working to save the kids and about to swoop in and deal with the perpetrators... that’ll be a problem.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Also a grim possibility that Qanon elevates another figure than Trump, one who is more capable of convincing the membership to commit violence

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    It's getting insane how ubiquitous Qanon is becoming on the right. It's gotten to the point I don't think a Republican politician could speak against it even if they wanted to because of how firmly it's gripped their voting base.

It's not just gripped the voting base - It's basically become the orthodoxy of the right-wing, taken them over from the inside. The "mainstream" of American "conservatism" is just white nationalism/supremacy mixed up with Q and other conspiracy theories now. It's insane stupid fascism, and fascism was never known for its coherence, rationality, or sanity.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Um actually according to my facebook "friend" whom I use as a windsock for alt right thought, QAnon is actually a leftwing psy op to make sure conservatives don't actually do anything.

qnktwd5gzqwe.png

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah there’s always a fallback conspiracy with conspiracy theories, not in case the original conspiracy gets disproven, but in case you need to feel more unique and not a “sheep”

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Damn got hit with the update bug so here is my post to try and fix it. In keeping with the spirit of the thread I remember when conspiracy theories where just harmless bullshit like we didn't land on the moon and 9/11 was an inside job. The radicalization of conspiracy theorist to causing actual harm to people is not something I would have ever predicted.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    Damn got hit with the update bug so here is my post to try and fix it. In keeping with the spirit of the thread I remember when conspiracy theories where just harmless bullshit like we didn't land on the moon and 9/11 was an inside job. The radicalization of conspiracy theorist to causing actual harm to people is not something I would have ever predicted.

The internet has made it easier to see the disgusting layers, but it's not new. The original reasons behind the moon landing theory were wrapped up in holocaust denial and white supremacy, and 9/11 was all a out Jews from the get go.

Going back farther, the Pearl Harbor theories (from false flag to intentionally allowing it to proceed) were also tightly in with Holocaust denial and the strong pro-Nazi right wing in the US.

It used to be fun to read about them, but actually digging into them has always gone dark places.

Hevach on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    9/11 was an inside job was not a harmless theory like it was super ugly and disgusting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I guess no one I knew who believed in those were advocating armed revolt and the wholesale slaughter of an entire political party.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Couscous on
    I guess no one I knew who believed in those were advocating armed revolt and the wholesale slaughter of an entire political party.

Not everyone who believes in dumb conspiracies is a revolutionary. But at its heart the 9/11 was an inside job is not harmless and seeks to invalidate a lot of peoples suffering so the conspiracy person can feel better about the world.

I mean hell "we faked the moon landing" also kind of invalidates the deaths and hard work of a lot of people. There's a reason you bring that shit to Buzz Aldrin he punches you out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

Not everyone who believes in dumb conspiracies is a revolutionary. But at its heart the 9/11 was an inside job is not harmless and seeks to invalidate a lot of peoples suffering so the conspiracy person can feel better about the world.

I mean hell "we faked the moon landing" also kind of invalidates the deaths and hard work of a lot of people. There's a reason you bring that shit to Buzz Aldrin he punches you out.

Yeah but I don't recall anyone walking into a pizza store and murdering people over it. Maybe it did happen and I just don't know about it, I don't really have any interest in digging into it honestly.

I bet if you look into the circles on 9/11 truthers and q people they overlap quite a bit. Once you believe one bit of dumb fuckery you're on the road to another. The only harmless conspiracy theory is the berenstein bears alternate universe.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I bet if you look into the circles on 9/11 truthers and q people they overlap quite a bit. Once you believe one bit of dumb fuckery you're on the road to another. The only harmless conspiracy theory is the berenstein bears alternate universe.

There is a direct line from Truthers to birtherism to Qanon

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Um actually according to my facebook "friend" whom I use as a windsock for alt right thought, QAnon is actually a leftwing psy op to make sure conservatives don't actually do anything.

qnktwd5gzqwe.png

I'm sorry, but who made this image? What part of the conspiracy includes not completing the image text?

Because I love it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Bottom Text is several years old, as part of the ever deepening ironic meta ironic meme cycle

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    QANON also draws heavily from the antiabortion movement.

Kinda the same dynamic where there's a lot of "believers" but few "true" believers. These are people who regularly compare abortion to the Holocaust and yet for most their opposition amounts to "vote red". If you truly believed that abortion clinics were murdering people on a scale unmatched by the worst historical atrocities then you'd be crazy to not storm the nearest clinic with a gun. And some do just that, but only some. The rest are happy to say they believe that awful things are happening but are happy to not do anything about it. Which either means they're pantomiming belief in a horrific belief in order to get political power and feel special, or they truly believe it yet lack the will to turn their beliefs into actions. Both possibilities depress me.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Wait... so the theory is:
    * Trump appears to be incompetent and wildly ineffective
    * This is all a secret plan to throw the Democrats off the scent while he secretly works to overthrow the secret global underground child rape/murder cult
    * This is actually a secret plan by the Democrats to lull pro-Trump Americans into a false sense of security
    * This secret plan is failing because Trump is actually so competent that he has a double-secret plan to subvert the secret plan of the Democrats

Is that right? Then why bother with the appearance of incompetence if it's not all part of the anti-'child-trafficking-conspiracy'-conspiracy?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    * This is all a secret plan to throw the Democrats off the scent while he secretly works to overthrow the secret global underground child rape/murder cult
    * This is actually a secret plan by the Democrats to lull pro-Trump Americans into a false sense of security
    * This secret plan is failing because Trump is actually so competent that he has a double-secret plan to subvert the secret plan of the Democrats

Is that right? Then why bother with the appearance of incompetence if it's not all part of the anti-'child-trafficking-conspiracy'-conspiracy?

Remember this all started because one nut job who has been routinely wrong posted some nutty shit on Reddit. There is no logic its only madness.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Remember this all started because one nut job who has been routinely wrong posted some nutty shit on Reddit. There is no logic its only madness.

Oh I never expect anything logical out of QAnon. If a QAnon thing has real english words strung together in an order that expresses a comprehensible idea, however batshit insane, I assume that's probably a high water mark for them.

But the post seemed to imply the poster was "too smart" for QAnon so had developed his own, new conspiracy theory around it, which if you're not buying into the dumpster fire salad bar that is QAnon I'd assume you'd cobble together something surface-level sensible as your alternative. But I guess that's an assumption too far.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The article I posted about QAnon become a sort of ur-conspiracy theory points out that holding contradictory beliefs is no problem for conspiracy theorists. (Incidentally, contradictory beliefs also is fine for fascists.)

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It’s also so amazing to me because according to Q trump has been furnishing his public persona as a fame hungry trust fund baby elite narcissist with rocks for brains since like the late 70s. That’s quite a deep rabbit hole! Talk about your long con, that international pedophile ring doesn’t know what’s going to hit them with commitment like that!

Prohass on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

No way man! Because only the winners can be the ones who double cross the double crossers!

https://youtu.be/PFRCTeQtNdU

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Kinda the same dynamic where there's a lot of "believers" but few "true" believers. These are people who regularly compare abortion to the Holocaust and yet for most their opposition amounts to "vote red". If you truly believed that abortion clinics were murdering people on a scale unmatched by the worst historical atrocities then you'd be crazy to not storm the nearest clinic with a gun. And some do just that, but only some. The rest are happy to say they believe that awful things are happening but are happy to not do anything about it. Which either means they're pantomiming belief in a horrific belief in order to get political power and feel special, or they truly believe it yet lack the will to turn their beliefs into actions. Both possibilities depress me.

We liberals know for sure that immigrants are being abused in the border camps, but we don’t storm them, do we? Democratic solutions are better.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Of course it's all connected.

Because it's all the fault of DA JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!!1!1!!!!

Sup

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

We liberals know for sure that immigrants are being abused in the border camps, but we don’t storm them, do we? Democratic solutions are better.

It didnt really make the rounds, but someone did, and was immediately killed.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

It didnt really make the rounds, but someone did, and was immediately killed.
    From the article: "Shawn Fallah, who heads the ICE Office of Professional Responsibility, said in a statement. 'These are the kinds of incidents that keep you up at night.'"

"Attack on facility built to imprison people in awful conditions is an awful event, says man in charge of making sure everybody at ICE has their stories straight about how horrible abuses never happen internally."

Obviously it's real stupid to firebomb a detention center in protest of detention centers, but holy shit, saying the attack is going to keep ICE people up at night while ICE habitually brutalizes tens of thousands of people? That's a pretty insane disconnect.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Yeah but I don't recall anyone walking into a pizza store and murdering people over it. Maybe it did happen and I just don't know about it, I don't really have any interest in digging into it honestly.

Uhh, about that.

He didn't murder anyone, but he damn well tried.

There's a little less urgency. While both situations are regularly compared to the Holocaust, one is seen as a stepping stone on the way to death camps, while the other is seen as something that exceeds the death camps right now and has been for years. ICE is imprisoning roughly 1000 people per day, there are roughly 2000 abortions a day. They're comparable, but not the same (mainly because one is a real problem that can be dealt with legally and the other is wacky conspiracy nonsense).

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Uhh, about that.

The quote structure and rhetoric sort of obscure what was meant by that.

I believe he meant that people never got violent and tried to shoot up a place prior to things like Qanon

But they just weren’t as easily linked, things like Clock/Bell Tower snipers were something of a dark humour jokes about mental illness and conspiracy theorists and then there were the more publicized incidents like the Kazinsky letter bombs / Unibomber, all of which significantly predates the internet.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Or the New York race riots in which an conspiracy theory about a secret group of slaves planning a rebellion in conjunction with the native Americans caused a massive riot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Conspiracy_of_1741

Fakedit- a supposed Popish plot. Not native American.

Uhh, about that.

The quote structure and rhetoric sort of obscure what was meant by that.

I believe he meant that people never got violent and tried to shoot up a place prior to things like Qanon

But they just weren’t as easily linked, things like Clock/Bell Tower snipers were something of a dark humour jokes about mental illness and conspiracy theorists and then there were the more publicized incidents like the Kazinsky letter bombs / Unibomber, all of which significantly predates the internet.

Yeah that's what I meant. I never heard about that happening up until recently. The few times people did commit horrible acts, they were labelled mentally ill. Like the Unibomber. Personally don't really have a problem labelling people who are deep enough into conspiracy theories as having a mental illness, since the definition includes something that is having a significant and noticable negative impact on your life.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    They still get labeled that way. But that itself has become a problem. The US has never dealt with mental illness well but we used to deal with it decisively.

When we stopped lobotomizing people we also stopped doing much of anything else, too.

Hevach on
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

The internet has made it easier to see the disgusting layers, but it's not new. The original reasons behind the moon landing theory were wrapped up in holocaust denial and white supremacy, and 9/11 was all a out Jews from the get go.

Going back farther, the Pearl Harbor theories (from false flag to intentionally allowing it to proceed) were also tightly in with Holocaust denial and the strong pro-Nazi right wing in the US.

It used to be fun to read about them, but actually digging into them has always gone dark places.

If you go to a Rolling Stones concert and the lights go down but you haven't heard Satisfaction...the show isn't over.

Similarly, if a Conspiracy Theory hasn't gotten to 'The Jews', you haven't heard the whole theory.

You might in some cases get the barely coded 'Globalist' or 'George Soros' wording, but pretty much one of the universal threads in at least the past 100 years of conspiracy theories is antisemitism.

Also, any racists who haven't singled out the Jews as a hated group just hasn't gotten to them yet.