As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    This! VR without HOTAS gets me mildly excited, but I probably wouldn't buy it at $40 (there are a lot of VR space games that I can play with a controller). But VR with HOTAS means I'm proobably picking it up if the reviews are solid.

Yeah, I want to believe.

But it's EA. They'll EA it up somehow. I don't know how. My goto fear is microtransactions, but I saw some PC Gamer headline about how there will be no mtx. Although it wouldn't be the first time a publisher said they wouldn't do it, but then add them at some point post launch. And with Games as a Service, there is no opting out of updates which shit up the game.

It's going to take an extraordinary effort for EA to get me to give them some money, and trust them not to ruin the thing I bought even if it starts off good.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    I'd be all in on flat screen even if there weren't VR support. VR support pushes it over the top for me.
    I'm excited because there is the obvious x-wing vs tie fighter lineage, and I got some rogue squadron vibes as well.

I absolutely loved XWvTF, even down to the tedium of power management and arranging shield deflectors

This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to that system as being tedious.

One of my favorite parts of those games was playing them "multiplayer," where I (or my friend) was flying and my friend (or I) was doing power management as their "R2 Unit." Good times. :D

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I'd be all in on flat screen even if there weren't VR support. VR support pushes it over the top for me.
    I'm excited because there is the obvious x-wing vs tie fighter lineage, and I got some rogue squadron vibes as well.

I absolutely loved XWvTF, even down to the tedium of power management and arranging shield deflectors

This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to that system as being tedious.

One of my favorite parts of those games was playing them "multiplayer," where I (or my friend) was flying and my friend (or I) was doing power management as their "R2 Unit." Good times. :D

That's actually really cool

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yea I'm excited, but I'm going to wait for at least a couple weeks after launch to see how things shake out.

I'm bummed Everspace 2 won't be in VR. It looks awesome, but I know its a lot of work to optimize the experience and they are running lean.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ah dang I didn’t know Everspace 2 didn’t have it.

But preordered Squadrons, can’t wait!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Ah dang I didn’t know Everspace 2 didn’t have it.

But preordered Squadrons, can’t wait!

They said it's a maybe, but it would be it's own product, not an option. I guess lets hope Everspace 2 is popular enough for them to port it.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

That's actually really cool

I'd love a simple co-op mode where a copilot (or R2 unit) is helping you with that sort of stuff - plus maybe defensive weapons and fixing broken systems. Would be a fun way to let non-VR people join a VR pilot in battle!

8R7BtLw.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Just a practical question for people playing room scale:

Do anyone have any advice or opinions on overhead pulleys and hooks for cable management, and preventing getting tangled up in the cables? I'm taking a look at setting up some ceiling pulleys, but I've read that extended use can result in twisting up the cord to your HMD pretty bad, effectively damaging it. As I'd be wanting to use an overhead pulley to essentially eliminate worrying about 'how many times have I twisted around myself', it feels like getting pulleys and then having to mentally keep track of the number of times I've turned around is defeating the purpose.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Just a practical question for people playing room scale:

Do anyone have any advice or opinions on overhead pulleys and hooks for cable management, and preventing getting tangled up in the cables? I'm taking a look at setting up some ceiling pulleys, but I've read that extended use can result in twisting up the cord to your HMD pretty bad, effectively damaging it. As I'd be wanting to use an overhead pulley to essentially eliminate worrying about 'how many times have I twisted around myself', it feels like getting pulleys and then having to mentally keep track of the number of times I've turned around is defeating the purpose.

I don't think you're going to get away from having to keep track of how many times you've turned in a given direction without some kind of connector in the cable path that is able to rotate 360 degrees while keeping all the contact points of the cable connected, even with my PSVR headset every so often I have to manually "unwind" rotations in the cable just from turning the headset clockwise both when picking it up and when putting it back on its stand, with no (or very little) looking all the way behind myself like I would in a true room scale setup.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I'm gonna say that having seen and tried a few cable solutions, the most effective one I've seen is multiple overhead elastic attachment strings with a bit of slack in the wire on its final distance to you. Something like an extra thin bungee cable. It should stretch enough that you can crouch, but also keeps the wire away from your limbs. A key point being that it also twists and untwists very easily. I think pulleys are too finicky for the range of motion they have to handle here.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Anyone know if you need roomscale for Alyx? Or can you play it fine in stationary mode

steam_sig.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Anyone know if you need roomscale for Alyx? Or can you play it fine in stationary mode

I play it standing just fine

• TharghorTharghor Registered User regular

I have about 2mx2m and it's fine. I only punched the wall twice. No melee helps a lot in that regard. How stationary are you talking?

Tharghor wrote: »

I have about 2mx2m and it's fine. I only punched the wall twice. No melee helps a lot in that regard. How stationary are you talking?

Probably about an arm span in each direction, give or take a few steps

steam_sig.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Tharghor wrote: »

Probably about an arm span in each direction, give or take a few steps

Should be fine. You can actually play the entire game sitting down if you want. I don’t think it would be quite as immersive, but still totally doable.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    My current VR playtime schedule has been sit down and play some RE7 until I can't handle it anymore (being the giant chicken that I am) and then switch to Doom VFR so I can be the thing the monsters should be afraid of.

Going between the two RE7 feels so much more immersive - I don't know if it's just the 3D effect is done better, or it's more noticeable with the much slower movement and I just can't appreciate it as much when I'm circle-strafing a cacodemon, but Doom kinda just feels like playing on a really big screen while RE7 feels a little bit too much like I'm actually in there at times.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    I’ve been playing a lot of DCS and I find it so very relaxing.

Just flying around in jets, and watching the landscape just calms me.

Playing with a buddy sometimes and we’ll do coop missions, it’s also just a ton of fun.

Gonna try IL2 for some ww2 era plane goodness

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    At some point (probably not during summer, which it's been scientifically proven is the worst time for VR) I'll want to put some serious time into IL-2. I've done some (very limited) VR flying with a HOTAS and loved the way it felt, in an admittedly rather claustrophobic way. Those WW2 planes and their cockpits weren't half narrow...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Yeah I just loaded it up before starting my first work meetings, that cockpit is like a sardine can hahaha

Definitely a different feel then the F15.

• SudsSuds Registered User regular
    My most played VR game these days is GTFO. It’s not a VR game, but it has a wicked VR mod so you can play it in VR. It’s amazing and so much more immersive than the pancake edition!

camo_sig2.png
    Finally getting around to playing some more Alyx.
    God damn headcrabs in the dark while I fumble for ammo.

edited July 2020
    I should really get back to No Man's Sky in VR, but I realise that after the first couple of hours it hasn't really grabbed me yet (which may be less due to VR and more to NML). I might leave it for now and return to other VR games.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Yeah if it hasn't grabbed you in the beginning it basically never will.

It's leagues above its release but it's pretty much the same formula of shoot things, collect things, upgrade stuff, go to new planet, repeat.

Still way better in VR but unless you just want to veg out it isn't that compelling.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It's also a shame that a game about exploration essentially forces you to play it as a 180 degree forward facing game in VR.

As far as the game is concerned, your face is glued to the HUD. You can look behind you, and at first it seems like it's totally fine to play as a 360 degree exploration game. But the design limitations manifest themselves in weird, and sometimes very jarring ways.

The first time I noticed was when I tried to use my multitool -- the game has you reach behind your shoulder (right I believe, it's been a minute) and squeeze to pull out the multitool. It was working fine, until it wasn't. I kept reaching behind my right shoulder, squeezing, and wasn't getting the haptic feedback and it wasn't working. Well, the issue was that I was turned around in my playspace -- something that I do in basically every VR game, because being able to turn around and take in every part of the environment using only your head and feet is much more immersive (and much less nausea inducing) than using a joystick to do it with your head fixed "forward" at all times. To the game, I was actually grabbing behind my left shoulder and it didn't register.

That's something you can kind of get around and still play it as a 360 game. But once I got past that, I noticed something a lot more annoying. I was walking on an alien planet, and every tree was barren. It was some kind of dead forest -- tree trunks and branches, but no leaves. Sure, why not? It's a procedurally generated game with a ton of biomes, makes sense! Then I turned around (physically in my play space) and suddenly I was in a lush evergreen forest -- every single tree had leaves. After 5 seconds of confusion, I realized it's because NMS uses SpeedTree, and their VR design only supports 180 degree play. SpeedTree works by having the leaf sprites always pivot to face the player -- they're flat sprites and thus use a lot less GPU than having leaves made of polygons, but it's all based on a trick of having the leaves always pivot to face the player so that you don't notice they're flat sprites. Well, in NMS VR, the player facing orientation is the HUD. It's not your headset, which it should be. So if you're not facing the HUD, you can't see leaves on trees.

And that one made me give up on trying to make it work. I can't squeeze the wonder of exploration out of "trees have no leaves facing this way" and "trees have all of the leaves facing this other way". And I actually liked NMS at launch! But the reason I liked it (and the reason a lot of people didn't) is because it was an awesome relaxing exploration game without a lot of meat to the gameplay beyond that. I thought it would immediately leap to my #1 "explore pretty stuff in VR" game, but it's not in my top 5 with the way they designed the VR.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    Absolutely. I think I'd enjoy the game a lot more in VR if it didn't have these few but very annoying idiosyncracies that make little to no sense.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Also, the VR controls made the inventory management even more of a hassle than it already was

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I bought Tetris Effect for PC, partially because I can perform better with a monitor than my living room TV, and partially because I was curious about the VR features. Its nice, but I'm too busy playing Tetris to savor the light show in VR.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »
    I bought Tetris Effect for PC, partially because I can perform better with a monitor than my living room TV, and partially because I was curious about the VR features. Its nice, but I'm too busy playing Tetris to savor the light show in VR.

It's such an amazing game though!

camo_sig2.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    What about Tetris Effect is great for VR? I checked out the video demo and it just seemed like Tetris, but nothing beyond that.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    edited July 2020
    Put drily, it combines the game and its music with a large variety of 3D visuals.

What it feels like, provided you're receptive: like you're in a sensory deprivation tank playing Tetris, and suddenly you're surrounded by space whales while zooming across a desert landscape, as a fantastic array of flowers blossom around you, and then your frontal lobe explodes with light, sound and tetrominoes.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    It is difficult to explain, but there’s just something about the experience of Tetris Effect in VR that makes it more than the sum of its parts. It’s a bit like playing Thumper in VR... it’s exactly the same game mechanically, but the isolation and visual freedom make it feel like a completely different thing. Except I’d say the impact is amplified ten-fold in Tetris Effect. The music and sound design is a huge part of that though, so make sure you wear some good headphones if you pick it up.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    Tetris Effect was one of the most emotional games I played this year. I got it on the Quest.

camo_sig2.png
    Yea Tetris effect in VR is very meditative. The game isolates you away from the real world, and instead your world becomes Tetris, and it is beautiful, both visually and aurally.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Wish it were out on Steam!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
      You may have just sold me on Tetris Effect

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Wish it were out on Steam!

Well, that wish may have been better spent on, like, world peace or something, but YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND!

Disclaimer: Wish may take 6-8 months to arrive. No refunds.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
      edited July 2020
      so beyond no man's sky (see that thread for my current bout of gushing) i finally got a chance to play media molecule's demo/inspo game for the dreams VR update, 'inside the box'

it's pretty good - graphically very crisp for the PSVR, and diverse in style and experiences. there's a fun lemmings-style maze game, a little room-based shooter, and a fairly big platformer level that draws from LBP 3 and AstroBot Rescue Mission

there was also a beautiful gallery item that just caught me in its spell - little cute things become surprisingly affecting when you're shrunk down and placed amongst it:

favourite thing so far though has just been mucking around with sculpt tools and checking out my old models and levels in VR. i think this thing is going to unleash some very cool experiences.

bsjezz on
      sC4Q4nq.jpg
    • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
      Apparently someone's already made Beat Saber in Dreams (link).

I'm enormously frustrated there's nothing like Dreams for PC VR, and all the user content generation is about loading up the Hammer Editor or importing .glb files. I'm thinking about getting a PS5 and jumping into PSVR just for this instead of upgrading my CV1 this year. Now that Alyx is out it seems like Valve's got nothing, and I stop reading Oculus's updates as soon as I see the word "social."

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
      edited July 2020
      Just got myself a Rift S to replace my first generation Vive. Goddamned lighthouses gave me endless trouble, and I wasn't about to throw more money at them now that the warranty period is long gone.

Anyone else got one? I seem to have some trouble with fine aiming in Arizona Sunshine. @Karoz can attest that I'm a friggin' excellent sniper with even the revolver when my stuff is calibrated right, but yesterday I was having trouble getting headshots on zombies that were practically on top of me.

Had better luck with aiming in Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades but I'm still not 100% satisfied with my aim.

EDIT: It's not the headset, it's me. I just have too big of a head. My IPD is 74mm and Rift S's lenses are fixed at 63.2, so even if I extend them in the software to 72 (the maximum) I'm gonna have a bit of goofy cross-eyedness. Boo.

EvmaAlsar on
      6YAcQE8.png
      Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
      Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
      Well, I think that still qualifies as it being the headset, and I second your boo. It's been 100% fine with me, but it is a shame when it affects people for reasons that they can't influence themselves. Visually, does it feel okay enough in other games, or do you have a constant sense of something being off?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg