As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what if they run out of matter to consume? I confess not to be a big black hole knowledge-haver

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Hawking radiation as proposed does offer an a way for a Black Hole to not remove information from the universe (A thing that would break QM).
    It scales very quickly with the size of Black Hole though. A tiny one would almost instantly annihilate, but a stellar (or supermassive...) Black Hole doesn't dent its own mass in any finite proposition for the life expectancy of the Universe.

Black Holes without mass near them just keep moving and spinning. Outside of their event horizon all they do is exert gravity.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think the whole problem is that you can't use Hawking radiation to unpick what has gone into the Black Hole. And if the Black Hole evaporates, then the information is lost forever, which violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics I think?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    We'd need a theory of quantum gravity to figure out the exact interactions at the event horizon

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    what if they run out of matter to consume? I confess not to be a big black hole knowledge-haver

So your knowledge here is a

Black hole

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    This is really neat, we rarely get isolated pop-up storms like this in Oklahoma. This is some Florida nonsense.

The ring you see on the radar is a gust of denser air that's been cooled by heavy rainfall underneath a small, nearly stationary thunderstorm. They've been popping off all afternoon. Driving home I went from a baking dry summer day to the aftermath of a monsoon a couple of blocks from my house. The gutters were running like crazy under a half-clear sunny sky.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Platy wrote: »
    Hey kids, do you want to build a quantum eraser at home

This is about collapsing the wavefunction and then returning everything to an "unobserved" state

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-6St1rDbzo

One thing I didn't really understand until recently is that a particle is unobserved as long as it is informationally isolated from the rest of the universe (quoting Arvin Ash), the particle is a probability wave as long as there is no information encoded about it in the rest of the universe

As far as I personally understand it, this seems to point towards reality being a really granular thing

Pretty sure this isn't quantum.
    I don't think beams that are polarised at 90 degrees from each other will constructively/deconstructively interfere with each other.

So what you have is:
    Unpolarised: interference pattern
    Polarised opposite to each other: image as from two sources, no interference
    Polarised parallel to each other: interference pattern

discrider on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Don't they repeat the same thing with the quantum slit experiment though?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    A blackhole is simply an object whose mass is large enough to have an escape velocity that is faster than the speed of light. Due to the amount of mass required to do that and the Pauli exclusion principal there is thought to be a minimum size of a black hole of about 3 solar masses. A black hole at the absolute minimum mass would become a neutron star if it lost mass due to Hawking radiation. If the Pauli exclusion principal doesn't actually exist, then there might not be a true lower limit of a blackhole since you can stuff enough mass into a small enough area to have a very tiny black hole. The smallest observed black hole is about 3.8 solar masses with a 15 mile diameter.

The smallest hypothetical black hole is known as a Planck particle, which has an event horizon that is one planck length (1.616288x10^-35m) in diameter, is one planck mass (21.76470 micrograms), and would evaporate due to hawking radiation in about 5x10^-39 seconds. This would require violating the Pauli exclusion principal to squish that much mass into a space that is much smaller than a proton, so it's not actually possible unless the Pauli exclusion principal is not a real thing or we find a way to put about 2GigaJoules into that small of a space

Veevee on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Don't they repeat the same thing with the quantum slit experiment though?

I'm not sure how the actual experiment does the measurements.
    But this home version is not doing what it's advertising it's doing.

• Options
    It might be the same in the actual experiment honestly, but going photon by photon instead of using a beam.
    But then the same would apply?
    I don't see how you could conclude particle behaviour when you've eliminated the possibility of interference by using orthogonal polarisations at the slits.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I used to think the same but you cannot measure the path of individual photons without absorbing them

Platy on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Also interference can only happen in this case because of the quantum nature of light, the beam is made out of individual photons

Two streams of classical particles would not interfere with each other

The point of the filters is to destroy the interference pattern in order to recreate it, the filters impart "which way" information on the passing particles

Platy on
  • Options
    Also interference can only happen in this case because of the quantum nature of light, the beam is made out of individual photons

Two streams of classical particles would not interfere with each other

The point of the filters is to destroy the interference pattern in order to recreate it, the filters impart "which way" information on the passing particles

No no, the interference occurs due to the wave nature of light, and the quantum nature is evidenced when you start registering individual detections of the interference (and then build the wave pattern from individual points of impact).

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The interval of the photons doesn't matter too much though, the result is the same when you stagger photon emission or not

Platy on
  • Options
    I'm sorry if I misunderstood the issue with the filters

One variant of the double slit experiment does work exactly as you describe

This particular experiment builds on it, it doesn't set out to demonstrate the same thing - despite the filters, the system doesn't behave in a fully classical way

• Options
    Haha
    My brain might be melting considering a photo-screen that detects individual photos as they come staggered through the setup, and how those photons might be choosing which maxima to appear at on the screen.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I used to think the same but you cannot measure the path of individual photons without absorbing them

You can AFAIK, but even if you detect without absorbing that act of measurement still results in waveform collapse.

• Options
    This is a video of the double slits experiment with individual photons

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e30BuTnhJng

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    absolute fucking nerds

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    As a disgusting crawling squirming shiteating dirtloving worm I

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    also, you figure scientists would know the bystander effect is largely a crock of shit and people DID in fact call the cops and try to help kitty genovese and that there were far less witnesses than actually reported

• Options
    I expect worm scientists to know a lot about worms and potentially literally nothing else

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Worms are neat. Ask a worm scientist over a beer about models of aging disease and you might get the same response as Eisen, there. It’s true of all the other animal models we have, too. Everything is an approximation. Even humans and clinical trials are an approximation.

I think Eisen thought he was making a joke and didn’t think about the power of his pulpit. He’s the editor of a large journal, not some random PI.

I’ll pick on his phrase, “they fuck themselves,” though. That’s a shitty thing to say. Not because of the verbiage, but because it’s not actually how that works. They’re hermaphrodites and readily self-fertilize internally. It’s basically taking a dump, except viable embryos come out.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Worms, like reading, is fundamental

• Options
    Fun

Mental

Da

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Fun Mental D'Alchemiss is a classic anime

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The most overrated animal

is humans

they are the worst

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I feel a real kinship with worm biologists because I worked with flies and we get dunked on about as much.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bug scientists

mirite

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The most overrated animal

is humans

they are the worst

I dunno

cats ain't doing much

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I feel a real kinship with worm biologists because I worked with flies and we get dunked on about as much.

geneticists just like to watch fruit flies fuck a lot

admit it you pervert

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    bug scientists

mirite

My brother works with mosquitos. His lab's end goal is to exterminate the species that bites humans by replacing it with a species that doesn't. Naturally this involves lots and lots of hatching, rearing, and breeding of mosquitos for research

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    bug scientists

mirite

No don't bug scientists they're busy right now

• Options
    bug scientists

mirite

mite

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

geneticists just like to watch fruit flies fuck a lot

admit it you pervert

I did spend an awful lot of time in my mid 20s literally watching them bone down for our mate choice project.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    bug scientists

mirite

Ahem, actually neither worms nor fruit flies are bugs as they are not members of the order Hemiptera wait where are you going

This discussion has been closed.