As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Lame. Figured since that's helped when my phones or whatnot get the same way... Good luck with it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    you could maybe try a factory reset of the, watch, on the hope it's the OS that is out of alignment and not the battery itself.

After that, yeah it's probably a battery going bad.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Did a factory reset, so let's see how that goes.

Says 100% battery directly after the reset though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    iOS 14 public beta is out, installing it on my old iPhone SE now.

Honestly impressed that it's available on a device that old.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Do any of you happen to know of some decent replacement ear tips for AirPods Pro? I would like your recommendations.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Do any of you happen to know of some decent replacement ear tips for AirPods Pro? I would like your recommendations.

You can order replacements from Apple. If you’re looking for non-Apple tips, I’ve no specific recommendations, but an Amazon search turns up quite a few possibilities.

• Options
    comply foam makes tips for the Airpods pro now, they're usually one of the go to's for 3rd party replacement tips.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    So what option do I need to turn off in macOS to get it to stop randomly inserting periods into my sentences when it thinks I'm done with the sentence?

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    So what option do I need to turn off in macOS to get it to stop randomly inserting periods into my sentences when it thinks I'm done with the sentence?

System Prefs->Keyboard->Text->Add Period with double-space

• Options
    anyone running the beta of iPad OS 14 on an iPad? I’ve been debating throwing it on my 2019 Air but if it’s super buggy I don’t want to deal.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    You're generally fine after about beta 2-3. Depends on your willingness to risk a "nuke it and restore from iCloud" scenario. That's for dev betas; public betas I wouldn't worry too much about in general.

• Options
    I'm running it on my iPad Pro that I finally goddamn got, btw.

Only issue so far has been a soft crash when I try to add the battery widget - it freezes for a second and then I'm back at the lock screen.

• Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a gamepad that speaks bluetooth? Turned out my old Xbox gamepad won't work over USB with the iPad. :<

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Current Xbox One controllers have Bluetooth

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

yes - get a modern xbox one controller, or use a PS4 controller.

those are the two best controllers for the iPad, and it honestly depends on how you like your thumbsticks oriented and your preference on swappable batteries.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Xbawks it is then. Thanks for the tips.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Look for the controller with the "one piece" shell (they also say BT on the box, but you know). The original controllers had a separate piece of (semi-transparent) plastic on the shell that included the glowing guide button (related to Kinect functionality, there are DS4-style lights under it). The second generation controllers onward have a single piece of plastic for the shell, excluding the edge with the shoulder buttons, that includes the guide button.

Though considering it's only the original model (and the original Elite Controller) that have this, if you grabbed a new Xbox controller at random, it'd almost certainly have BT capability. The original models are a lot less common now.

• Options
    An easier way to tell them apart is that the models wthout Bluetooth are named "Xbox One Wireless Controllers" while the models with Bluetooth are the "Xbox Wireless Controller"

But realistically, unless you're buying from somewhere sketch, or a brick and mortar store that has super old stock, or buying used, the odds of it being a controller that doesn't support bluetooth are pretty slim. The bluetooth models were introduced in 2016

• Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a small-ish bluetooth keyboard? I want to see how much I'd actually use it for typing on the iPad before I decide if I want a fancier keyboard case.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I’m gonna say that I’ve used both and got/get way more done on my case keyboard than the separate device, not least because the case is set up to use the smart connector which makes things so much easier.

That said, I use an Advent K512 which may no longer be available. Mostly these days it gets attached to my PC though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I have the previous generation Apple Smart Keyboard and love it. It’s a joy to type on and I’m writing this post on it.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Using a Magic Keyboard on the iPad at the moment and god damn, did no one at Apple ever consider multilingual people? Like, let me write without autocorrect shitting all over my input.

I don\t want to consider switching keyboard layouts to have autocorrect figure out which language I\m using, I just want it to go the hell away and let me type. On a plain old computer I’d just write in English using Swedish layout, on an iPad it turns into a project to write.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Using a Magic Keyboard on the iPad at the moment and god damn, did no one at Apple ever consider multilingual people? Like, let me write without autocorrect shitting all over my input.

I don\t want to consider switching keyboard layouts to have autocorrect figure out which language I\m using, I just want it to go the hell away and let me type. On a plain old computer I’d just write in English using Swedish layout, on an iPad it turns into a project to write.

You can disable autocorrect for specifically hardware keyboards.

• Options
    I just found that. Oh thank science.

• Options
    I may just have described this event where I write in one language and autocorrect does whatever it wants as ”an excellent stroke simulator”.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    If it helps re: ultrawide, I just upgraded to the 11 (from a 7) and I’m fairly disappointed by the ultrawide lens. No optical image stabilisation, it’s fixed focus, no RAW support, no night mode (and no doubt there are legitimate technical reasons behind all of that). So I’ve ordered a bunch of Moment lenses, including their wide lens, to stick to the regular camera and make up for it.

I'd be interested to see how you get on -- I've bought some of the cheap low-end "macro/wa/telephoto" lenses, and while the macro lens is pretty impressive and lets you get in _very_ close, the optical quality of the WA lens is pretty dreadful. (I have a use case where I want to get wider-angle video in particular). So I trust the Moment ones to good, but there's an awful lot of price difference between those and the few-dollars ones I've bought, and I don't know how far along the price scale I have to go, or how to identify which is which from the enormous number of different brands out there.

I ordered a couple more of the cheap ones from dx.com -- the tiny ones (where the lens is the size of your thumbnail or so) are still fine for macro if a bit _too_ close, but pretty awful for wide angle.

However, this one, which has an actual 37mm front element is, for $3.72, pretty darned acceptable.

Without WA lens, standard "28mm" view
    jTtwz5p.jpg

With WA lens, the view is about 22mm or so (based on using a camera and zooming until it matched)
    oGQF3VE.jpg
    There's a bit of vignetting, which seems to be because the clip doesn't _quite_ hold things straight enough -- if I take the case off my phone then it can line up better.

Image quality in the center goes down a little bit, but nothing significant; without adapter:
    qAf1qEw.jpg
    with adapter:
    vJDCXrh.jpg

though in the corner, it definitely loses something -- without:
    8EBoyTU.jpg
    with adapter, it's still usable, but obviously worse:
    r9zfP8x.jpg

All that said, for under $4 it should do what I want just fine. (one tiny annoyance is that with the adapter on, the panorama mode on ios can now reach a little bit further in all directions, but only to like 357 degrees, it can't _quite_ get all the way, irritatingly; and photosynth / streetview's panorama mode don't work faster, they just get _very_ confused)

• Options
    I just don't get the Apple TV app.

"Here's a whole bunch of movies and TV shows from all the big streaming services!"

"Oh, you'll have to pay for whichever service the show is on to watch."

Finding out what I can watch with my Apple TV+ trial is hard when everything drowns in stuff from services I don't subscribe to.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hulu and Amazon also like making it tough to find what you have access to vs what they want to upsell.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I have an Apple Watch Series 1 that somehow had its screen cracked quite a while ago. It works, but it certainly isn't water resistant and could possibly cut my finger at some point. Can I get it repaired, or is it too old? I'd like to have one to feed me emails and text messages to keep me from looking at my phone. I'm also curious as to how much money it would be to get whatever the cheapest model that can pull down cell data, and about how much money it would cost me to activate it on my network if anyone has a ballpark estimate.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You can get a new Series 3 with LTE for $299. I have no idea if it would be cheaper to get the screen on an S1 repaired, but probably?

Most US carriers carve out cheaper plans for "connected devices", that are usually like $5/mo or so. You would have to check with whoever you have for details, though.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I’d also recommend holding out on buying a new watch for a few weeks: a refresh is likely to come out of Apple’s mid-September event, and prices on the series 3 could drop, or you could be looking at paying the same price for better specs.

That said, my Series 1 finally died a few weeks ago, and I grabbed a Wi-Fi Series 3 for ~170 USD. Speed upgrade makes a huge difference in usability, though I wish the timing of the breakdown wasn’t so frustrating. I mostly don’t notice the difference except that starting workouts and timers happens instantaneously rather than after a 5-10 second lag.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    My series 2 doesn’t make it to the end of a day on a full charge for days when I have very long workouts and also the speed and responsiveness sucks so I’m eagerly awaiting the series 6. I’m currently on a 104 day move streak that started a little while after ending a 102 day one so this is clearly the watch I’ll always have on.

Gimme a new one please to go with the iPhone 12 I’ll probably get even though it won’t have USB-C.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    My series 2 is sooo slow it’s annoying and it loses battery so quickly now that it’s sitting on the charger more than I wear it just cuz.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    lol... aw man, not what I wanted to read as I came here to announce my giving up on the iphone 8 (the microphone volume has become very low and cleaning the holes did nothing) and prep to order the SE. D:

Guess I will wait and use bluetooth until they announce the 12 and hope that the rumours of the return of Touch are true so I can get a mini boat-sized phone. :sad:

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I’d also recommend holding out on buying a new watch for a few weeks: a refresh is likely to come out of Apple’s mid-September event, and prices on the series 3 could drop, or you could be looking at paying the same price for better specs.

That said, my Series 1 finally died a few weeks ago, and I grabbed a Wi-Fi Series 3 for ~170 USD. Speed upgrade makes a huge difference in usability, though I wish the timing of the breakdown wasn’t so frustrating. I mostly don’t notice the difference except that starting workouts and timers happens instantaneously rather than after a 5-10 second lag.

Where do you get your Series 3?

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K37HKT8/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Silver only, which I actually wound up liking. I’m a little concerned about what performance will look like after the next big WatchOS update, but it’s been a significant speed improvement over the Series 1.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K37HKT8/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Silver only, which I actually wound up liking. I’m a little concerned about what performance will look like after the next big WatchOS update, but it’s been a significant speed improvement over the Series 1.

Rumours is that at the next Apple event in a few weeks there is to be a budget Apple Watch release to replace the series 3. Like the iPhone SE so it might be worth waiting.

• Options
    Does anyone have any tips for quickly getting an image from the MacBook to the iPad so I can doodle some annotations on it and pass it back to the MacBook?

Right now I paste an image into GoodNotes, draw a little on it in GoodNotes on the iPad, and then that syncs to the MacBook, and I take a screenshot of those edits, but it feels a bit clunky.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for quickly getting an image from the MacBook to the iPad so I can doodle some annotations on it and pass it back to the MacBook?

Right now I paste an image into GoodNotes, draw a little on it in GoodNotes on the iPad, and then that syncs to the MacBook, and I take a screenshot of those edits, but it feels a bit clunky.

can you not just use goodnotes on your mac and have things sync across both devices?