As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    bug scientists

mirite

Ahem, actually neither worms nor fruit flies are bugs as they are not members of the order Hemiptera wait where are you going

just refilling my beer, carry on

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Entomology is fun.

Did you know that pillbugs are actually crustaceans?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Makes sense, crustaceans are just giant aquatic bugs.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bug scientists

mirite

Ahem, actually neither worms nor fruit flies are bugs as they are not members of the order Hemiptera wait where are you going

I really thought this would've been quicker to come up

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I thought 'bug' was a catch-all term for small creepy things?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited July 2020

Hemiptera is "true bug", colloquially you're correct.

But if you're ever talking to a legit bug scientist you better use insect or worm instead. You will legitimately never heard the end of it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think bug as a catchall is mostly an american thing
    My grandparents only ever used 'bug' in the context of an illness.

Hemiptera is "true bug", colloquially you're correct.

But if you're ever talking to a legit bug scientist you better use insect or worm instead. You will legitimately never heard the end of it.

I may or may not be planning to give my brother a copy of Bugsnax when it releases just because it would annoy him

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    As a disgusting crawling squirming shiteating dirtloving worm I

Mr. Gad, what was it like being in Artemis Fowl, and did you ever feel that they had cast you just for your shit eating, dirt loving potential?

Also, did your underwear have a slit in the back for the dirt to escape, or?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I think bug as a catchall is mostly an american thing
    My grandparents only ever used 'bug' in the context of an illness.

Yeah I think it's an Americanism that has got some use here now but growing up we would say creepy-crawly.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Spiders and scorpions aren't bugs in my head. Pretty much just like flies and beetles and bats and wasps and stuff are really bugs.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    bats huh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What about hummingbirds? They’re tiny and buzzy and go mad for sugary drinks that you wanted to finish, dammit!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    What if bugs....were snacks?

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    What if bugs....were snacks?

3:29
    https://youtu.be/sQTk4eK2fP4

Alright time to reloop this for the entire day again

edited July 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What about hummingbirds? They’re tiny and buzzy and go mad for sugary drinks that you wanted to finish, dammit!

I've never seen a hummingbird go for human drinks, and my parents have a good number of them with two different feeders

Madican on
    Understanding the Voices in Our Heads 12:02
    https://youtu.be/DRLkDafQbP8

I guess there isn't really that much understanding in that field yet

I love the bicameral mind stuff, that our inner monologue might have been confused for an external presence guiding us and that's what gave rise to religion and all that.

Really interesting stuff to read about.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    "Kim do you ever like, have conversations with your own brain"

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I don't have like, DID or anything, but I do have several distinct internal Voices that pipe up to either make me feel bad, or occasionally provide the solution to a problem.

I differentiate them from my garden variety intrusive thoughts, because the Voices aren't just me having thoughts, they're distinct... voices that I've had since I was a kid.

I think they're my conscience.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh, those are ghosts.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Oh, those are ghosts.

Brains haunted...

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Oh, those are ghosts.

Brains haunted...

Always was.

Brolo wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Oh, those are ghosts.

Brains haunted...

Always was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q43wzP6A1CM

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    For the three of you who get this one, a follow-up on the worm twitter kerfuffle:

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

Eh.
    Pushing data to the speech centre frees up RAM.
    Why yes, I am going to continue carrying one half of a conversation with myself out loud, why are you weilding the office photocopier

edited July 2020
    Tynnan wrote: »
    For the three of you who get this one, a follow-up on the worm twitter kerfuffle:

I will eat your plum and unfreeze your worms

PiptheFair on

I'm mad that I do recognize that poem.

Madican wrote: »

I'm mad that I do recognize that poem.

william carlos williams

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    That reaction is super-cool, it's a bonding behavior

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

I not only have 100% sentences, I constantly have an inner monologue going on. (I think this contributes to my insomnia bc it won't shut up.)

I also play both sides in innumerable conversations. I've gone so far as to replay movie dialogue and completely reimagine the conversations the characters have as completely different conversations.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited August 2020
    That sounds like a super power, my inner voice is kinda a bummer and doesn't do cool stuff like yours lol

Unrelated:
    Superconsciousness: Is the universe a conscious mind? 7:39
    https://youtu.be/qLE4YAOUqPE

Peas on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    My internal voice is kinda nice and reads aloud to me.

It's also the only way I can read, so it's not like the voice has any choice

I not only have 100% sentences, I constantly have an inner monologue going on. (I think this contributes to my insomnia bc it won't shut up.)

I also play both sides in innumerable conversations. I've gone so far as to replay movie dialogue and completely reimagine the conversations the characters have as completely different conversations.

I literally can't read unless my inner monologue reads "out loud" to me. It keeps my reading speed down to the speed of a casual conversation, but my comprehension is through the roof. I may not remember word for word, but I can carry a conversation about any book I have ever read.

Sadly, even my inner monologue gets bored reading textbooks so my ADHD mind takes over and-Look, a squirrel!

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    My inner voice just tries to count how many letters there are in every word I come across and gets pissed whenever it’s a prime number

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My inner voice just tries to count how many letters there are in every word I come across and gets pissed whenever it’s a prime number

Unfortunately, those are omnipresent.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My inner speech is never a conversation or dialogue. It's pretty much just straightforward sentences I think, and yes the vast majority are about how much I suck.

The other weird brain-related thing I think about a lot is how cool it would be if I didn't have aphantasia.

Veevee wrote: »

I literally can't read unless my inner monologue reads "out loud" to me. It keeps my reading speed down to the speed of a casual conversation, but my comprehension is through the roof. I may not remember word for word, but I can carry a conversation about any book I have ever read.

Sadly, even my inner monologue gets bored reading textbooks so my ADHD mind takes over and-Look, a squirrel!

Mine reads to me too! I didn't know there was any other way to read!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Mine reads to me too! I didn't know there was any other way to read!

So interesting! When I read I don't really...process the words in a word sense. Like I don't see the words once I get going, on the page or in my head. There's just kind of a vague picture yet still very precise set of events going on.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I talk to myself a lot, but it's still just me. As I read I'm speaking in my head and when I talk I try to rehearse in the few seconds advance what I'm going to say next (I'm not good at this). Didn't think anything of it or that other mental voices might be different.

This discussion has been closed.