As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Man, this Philly - Orlando match is chippy as all hell.

EDIT: Though I did enjoy that Ilsinho goal.

oldmanken on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2020

This was the buildup to the second goal last night. Guy on the left shoulder charges Traore in the hopes of bumping him off the ball and uh no that didn't work. It's like watching Mr Bean try and knock down Jonah Lomu. Traore also just casually megs the other guy while shrugging it off. He's glorious. From another tweet I discovered that:
    Adama Traoré becomes the first player since Eden Hazard in 2014-15 to complete 180 successful dribbles in a season.

The Spaniard has played 816 minutes less than Hazard with one game of the season remaining.

Which is nice. The Sunday Times is reporting that Wolves value him at £135 million, which seems quite a lot, to be honest, but what the hell: get paid, boys. I hope he stays, because Wolves use him perfectly and I doubt he'd be as well utilised in teams that don't focus so strongly on counterattacking quickly, but for £100 million or so it'd be difficult to turn down. But the valuation is more to discourage bids than anything else, probably.

Bogart on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the biggest sale i want from Wolves this season is Matt Doherty to literally anywhere

my local club gets a 10% cut of the deal and I'll be real annoyed if we don't get that miracle boost

edited July 2020
    He's with us till 2023 on his contract (like Traore), so he won't be cheap any time soon.

I thought they might be looking to get rid of Podence in the Autumn given how little play he had until about a fortnight ago, but he looks pretty good, and there's excellent comedy value to be had from pictures of him standing next to Jiminez.

Bogart on
    Bogart wrote: »
    He's with us till 2023 on his contract (like Traore), so he won't be cheap any time soon.

all the better!

although i do know that the teams who could afford him realistically don't need him

if i was jose, i'd be pushing a blank cheque towards wolves for him but if we're being honest, Spurs are a step down for him and I'd much rather work with Nuno than Jose

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Arsenal beating Liverpool and Manchester City in succession, only to trip over relegation level Aston Villa is sure a...thing

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Arsenal beating Liverpool and Manchester City in succession, only to trip over relegation level Aston Villa is sure a...thing

seems appropriate

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Wellington currently playing Perth in Sydney, which is roughly equivalent to a team from London playing a league match in Kiev against Dubai.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Oh my god such a huge sigh of relief

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Just put another in as well

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Liverpool lifting the league cup, so surreal after so long.

I can’t wait for the tour bus when things are more sane.

The Champions League cup was crazy, but bringing the League Cup home is going to be insane in Liverpool city centre.

Anyone in the UK wanting a really, really good night out should keep an eye out for when they do the bus tour. That would be a really good time to visit Liverpool...

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Liverpool lifting the league cup

:D

I can’t believe Kepa was signed on a seven year deal

what in the sweet fuck were they thinking

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I dunno why you'd ever sign someone for seven years tbh, not in the Premier League anyway

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »

It’s the cup you get for winning the league !

Premiership is just branding.

It’s my hill, and I’m dying on it !

Not literally, but I am a bit hung over...

obviously you get the league cup cup for winning the league cup :P

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

obviously you get the league cup cup for winning the league cup :P

I think I preferred it when the cup had had branding. Winning the Coca cola cup meant something.

I miss the Intertoto Cup, if only because it was always referred to contemptuously as the Intertwobob Cup.

I miss the Intertoto Cup, if only because it was always referred to contemptuously as the Intertwobob Cup.

the UEFA Europa Conference League is starting up next year and i will 100% be referring to it as the intertoto

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Tav wrote: »

Damn, that is nice. I may have to end my hiatus on buying kits. Essentially this is just a red take on the bruised banana kit from this year, and I am here for it.

EDIT: Also, that first picture... Auba and Luiz showed up for an album cover shot, while Laca is just there for a nice wholesome picture.

oldmanken on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    I'm from Vancouver, but I'd say Seattle and Portland are certainly left leaning. And those are our "local" rivals. The distances involved in local MLS rivalries might be a bit surprising to euros.

A random thing I always remember is that it would actually be (slightly) less time for Montreal to fly to Paris for a game than it is for them to fly to LA.

(Also, I haven't been paying attention to MLS for awhile: what did Chicago do to their crest?)
    Yes, just this offseason , also they are playing at soldier field this season , not sure if a new stadium is in the works, people have been bitching about them playing in Bridgeport for years.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular

Hahaha, fucking hell. I can feel the salt from this image viscerally.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    23q1pjytm1cb.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    That sponsor tagline on the jersey is just going to lead to "play better" memes no?

:so_raven:
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That sponsor tagline on the jersey is just going to lead to "play better" memes no?

Shit I think I figured out Arsenal’s problem

Ah ha ha, Whitecaps advance in this crazy MLS tournament.

The circumstances for this to happen are just so unlikely.
    • Starting keeper is out with broken hand
    • Veteran backup keeper out as his mom just passed away
    • Third string keeper starting, no other GK on roster, signed a depth GK from Montreal on a one day loan for the match
    • All the best strikers on the team didn't go to the tournament
    • 2nd half interrupted for lightning delay
    • Caps had to win by 2 to go through, Chicago had a late game goal ruled out for handball by VAR.

:rotate:

It’s really just Canada’s time to shine

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It’s really just Canada’s time to shine

Eh?

the strength and speed on this lad

friendship ended with Adama Traore, now Seko Fofana is my best friend

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    fofanafofanafofanafofanafofana

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Edit: Though really, this is all illusory, MLS is single-entity, all the teams are owned in part by the league.

For some context, this is why I feel the comparison to the Negro League commissioner moving players around is a close comparison to the MLS. The league does get involved with player movement but not to such an up front degree. How do recognised internationals like Beckham, Ibrahimovic, or Hernandez end up in LA? Because the league wants them there.

Its sad the players dont have a choice in the matter.

I can't imagine the disappointment of being a a world famous athlete worth hundreds of millions of dollars, being all exicited to go experience Midwestern hospitality in the heartland city of Columbus Ohio and then being forced to play in Los Angeles instead.

It must be shattering.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    Banananafofana

Atlanta has fired Frank De Boer. He took a championship, super exciting team and tried to make it play completely differently. Not quite sure why you would do that.

Atlanta has fired Frank De Boer. He took a championship, super exciting team and tried to make it play completely differently. Not quite sure why you would do that.

who could have seen it coming?

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It is probably the most common thing in the sports world, any sport, when a manager or coach is hired and proceeds to change an already well-running team into whatever they would prefer rather than adapting to fit the team and players.

It is probably the most common thing in the sports world, any sport, when a manager or coach is hired and proceeds to change an already well-running team into whatever they would prefer rather than adapting to fit the team and players.

*stares in David Moyes*

This discussion has been closed.