As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Seattle schools sent out an email today - Will likely start fully remote.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    School plans here announced. 830-1230 on site, then remote learning the rest of the day. What problem does this bullshit solve?

The idea is that a half-day reduces exposure from a full day. Time spent near someone with the virus contributes to the likelihood of you getting it.

I mean, I don't think that's gonna be anywhere near enough, but that's the idea.

It's less exposure, but I'm not sure it's meaningful. People were getting this from sitting downwind from people having dinner in a restaurant or singing in church, neither of which are usually four hour affairs. Social distancing and masks will help, if they can be enforced, but this just doesn't seem super great.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    School plans here announced. 830-1230 on site, then remote learning the rest of the day. What problem does this bullshit solve?

The idea is that a half-day reduces exposure from a full day. Time spent near someone with the virus contributes to the likelihood of you getting it.

I mean, I don't think that's gonna be anywhere near enough, but that's the idea.

It's less exposure, but I'm not sure it's meaningful. People were getting this from sitting downwind from people having dinner in a restaurant or singing in church, neither of which are usually four hour affairs. Social distancing and masks will help, if they can be enforced, but this just doesn't seem super great.

Singing in church is a particularly high risk activity because it expels more droplets farther.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Right into your deity/ies face(s). It's how they know you love them.

The half thing seems dumb to me. Which of course our school is now taking about.

You're still infecting the whole population and still screws up schedules of people who have to work.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think it's largely that schools have no idea what to do. None of the answers I've seen are great, but it's not like they can just skip next year, on top of already curtailing last year.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

Singing in church is a particularly high risk activity because it expels more droplets farther.

Singing, shouting, exercise, all that stuff that makes you, I dunno, breathe more, all bad. Unfortunately, kids and shouting...

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The 14 month old had surgery on Tuesday and trying to get their meds down is a huge ordeal. They hate the syringe and fight and struggle and work themselves up so much that we worry they're going to aspirate instead of swallow. We're going to try to one of those medicine spoons, still requires their agreement to take it but maybe it will be less traumatizing than getting it sprayed into their cheek.

Anyone got any other delivery ideas?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    The 14 month old had surgery on Tuesday and trying to get their meds down is a huge ordeal. They hate the syringe and fight and struggle and work themselves up so much that we worry they're going to aspirate instead of swallow. We're going to try to one of those medicine spoons, still requires their agreement to take it but maybe it will be less traumatizing than getting it sprayed into their cheek.

Anyone got any other delivery ideas?

Mix it in with milk/juice? Have to make sure they drink it all, but it can work if you know how much they'll drink.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    We've thought about that and are planning on trying it with one of the 2.5ml doses but I'm not sure if it would work for every dose since they take something a little more often than every 3 hours.

• Options
    Would it soak in a piece of bread?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Maybe, all the meds are liquid so it'd be more on the absorbency if the bread? That's a good idea that we hadn't thought of, thanks!

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    There's binky syringes if they still use a binky. I forget how it works, but basically they are supposed to think it is just a binky (so less tramatic to stick it in their face than a syringe) but still has a plunger you can activate to get medicine to come out.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    We've thought about that and are planning on trying it with one of the 2.5ml doses but I'm not sure if it would work for every dose since they take something a little more often than every 3 hours.

With my oldest when she was refusing to take a liquid antibiotic at one point we mixed it into a bit of chocolate syrup. The syrup is a lot stronger flavor than juice, so we didn't need to mix as much so there was less worry about her not taking it all.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Daenris wrote: »

With my oldest when she was refusing to take a liquid antibiotic at one point we mixed it into a bit of chocolate syrup. The syrup is a lot stronger flavor than juice, so we didn't need to mix as much so there was less worry about her not taking it all.

We have had great success using honey to get meds into our now 18 month old daughter.

From one year and up honey is OK for kids according to guidelines here. Before that there's a small risk for botulism.

A teaspoon also gives pain relief when her throat hurts.

Honey also works for the dog when he needs meds btw. Because dogs and kids are pretty much the same thing, kids are just messier, smellier and refuse to listen :P

• Options
    How much syrup or honey were y'all using? We've got doses of 2.5, 5, & 6ml that we have to administer.

On the bright side they just woke up from their nap and are happily chugging a bottle with 6ml Motrin in it so that's a relief to get one dose out of the way easy

• Options
    Man, I bought my 4 year old new socks in March and he's basically outgrown them already.

• Options
    How much syrup or honey were y'all using? We've got doses of 2.5, 5, & 6ml that we have to administer.

On the bright side they just woke up from their nap and are happily chugging a bottle with 6ml Motrin in it so that's a relief to get one dose out of the way easy

That's what we did.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular

Usually a teaspoon. But 5-6 ml might be too much considering a teaspoon is 5 ml. If the meds are bitter it will probably not be masked by the honey.

Then maybe try a couple of tablespoons orange juice and honey to mask it. That has worked once or twice for us as well.

My wife's a dietician and used to work with helping patients getting down enough food and medication. She's pretty good at making strange and effective concoctions. Maybe your hospital have someone similar you can talk to?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I didn't realize there was another parenting/kid thread. Much like having my second kid, it appears that I have a second thread to take care of.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I didn't realize there was another parenting/kid thread. Much like having my second kid, it appears that I have a second thread to take care of.

Wait, where's the second one? Oh shit oh shit, I've lost it, where did he go? SECOND THREAAAAAAAAAD you can come out now!
    I've got some cookies here! Come find meeee!

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

You should be very careful and seek a doctor/pharmacists advice before mixing liquid medication to give to a child. There won't be any safety risk, but, the medicine is designed to deliver the correct dose after surviving an encounter with saliva and stomach acid. There are many chemicals in food, like vitamin C, sugars and fats which can completely deactivate some medications. Sometimes its completely fine and doesn't do anything to the drug, other times seemingly benign things can make the drug not work.

Edit - oh, your trying to give motrin? That's probably fine. I thought you were talking about an antibiotic.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Yeah, just the Motrin, they take the antibiotics ok. The Motrin is a spiraling problem because they don't get enough of the dose, start to get discomfort which makes it harder to get them to take it next time, get less of the dose, etc.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Man, I bought my 4 year old new socks in March and he's basically outgrown them already.

My 7-year-old is now wearing my socks. My mistake for buying socks with kittens on. But they fit perfectly. I think she will be a giant.

• Options

My 7-year-old is now wearing my socks. My mistake for buying socks with kittens on. But they fit perfectly. I think she will be a giant.

RIP your shoe budget.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    My wife tripped the other night and skinned her knee, and our tiny monster ran to the bathroom, grabbed the first aid kit, and hauled ass back going "Wee-woo-wee-woo!"

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My daughter has been playing a lot of Mario Oddysey over the last few months. Her favorite thing to do is run around the Peach's Castle level, scare sheep, and have Mario dance to the boom box.

But I found out why she doesn't go to many of the other areas because she cannot handle the stress of enemies. She went to the area that has Goombas, and one of them saw her, did it's little hop and charged at her. She started screaming in fear, threw the Joy-Cons on the ground, and ran out of the room.

After that, I had to teach her how to push the "-" button to teleport out of danger. Yeesh.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If your child likes games but does not like violence, Animal Crossing is fantastic. There is no violence.

• Options
    So, we have kid #2 on the way any day now. Wondering what other parents welcoming new babies did in regards to letting people come visit the baby once you were home due to you know, world wide pandemic? No one can come to the hospital besides me anyways, so that's not a worry. Once we're home, I don't really want family we don't see regularly (not part of our bubble) dropping by unannounced, etc.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So, we have kid #2 on the way any day now. Wondering what other parents welcoming new babies did in regards to letting people come visit the baby once you were home due to you know, world wide pandemic? No one can come to the hospital besides me anyways, so that's not a worry. Once we're home, I don't really want family we don't see regularly (not part of our bubble) dropping by unannounced, etc.

Wave from the window, zoom interdictions, and probably not much else aside from the welcome food deliveries.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Just tell them no? Or make them go get swabbed, if that's easy where you live?

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    A moat?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    A moat?

You'll have plenty of material to fill it with. .

But yeah it varies by culture and family but the health of your family should come first.

Offer options like royal fmily viewings from the windows, or setup a WebEx/Zoom account.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Look. It's going to be uncomfortable, but the most important thing for you to do now and until the day you die is to protect your family. Whether or not it's during a global pandemic your number one priority is to make sure your family is safe.

So, no visits is the safest option and requiring swabs would be the next safe. Keep in mind that testing is only as good as long as it is recent.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Thanks folks. Here in British Columbia, you can't just go get a test if you don't have symptoms.

Now, if this baby could just stay in until we no longer have the second worst air quality in the world, that would be awesome.

• Options
    Thanks folks. Here in British Columbia, you can't just go get a test if you don't have symptoms.

Now, if this baby could just stay in until we no longer have the second worst air quality in the world, that would be awesome.

For people close to you that you trust, two weeks of real quarantine before visiting works fine. Everyone else, through a window yeah

Steam profile
  • Options

That was us three years ago. Went into the hospital and everything was fine*, left three days later and everything is hazy and I'm suddenly wondering if it's just sleep deprivation, or if the sky fell, or something? It took us most of that first week to figure out what had actually happened, since we were otherwise so preoccupied with keeping a tiny human alive.

*Everything had been on fire when we went in, but the wind changed while we were waiting for my wife to recover my the c section.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    we did almost a full 6 weeks of no outside people go away contact when Ellie was born and that wasn't during a pandemic.

And if you did want to come by, you had to have your vaccines up to date. Our exceptions were our friends that also had a newborn.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    If your child likes games but does not like violence, Animal Crossing is fantastic. There is no violence.

Alternatively give her the Conan speech.

Oh, and possibly apologize to daycare in advance.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    we did almost a full 6 weeks of no outside people go away contact when Ellie was born and that wasn't during a pandemic.

And if you did want to come by, you had to have your vaccines up to date. Our exceptions were our friends that also had a newborn.

Is one side of the family Chinese? We know a fair few people with Chinese ancestry and lots of them do the traditional extended post birth isolation period.

Not many go far enough to shave their babies though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Is one side of the family Chinese? We know a fair few people with Chinese ancestry and lots of them do the traditional extended post birth isolation period.

Not many go far enough to shave their babies though.

Taiwanese, yes. But that side of the family had no say.

This was basically the recommended health thing from the midwives and everybody. Keep the baby home as much as you can for the first six weeks and anybody that comes closer must be vaccinated. Specifically the pertussis vaccine.

Keep in mind that I also had a year maternity leave with sixteen weeks paid from the govt. So it's a bit different here.