As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

1757677787981»

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    As is this game has me very excited but I have no idea how they're going to handle so many things. How do you handle being a cipher how do you handle a watcher ? What about companions?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    That's Eder alright. He's a good defensive dude. However, in terms o
    Axen wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I most certainly hope it isn't anything like Skyrim. But Obsidian hopefully gets free reign to make something interesting.

Most of the Journos are referring to it as "Skyrim-like" so you may possibly be in for a bit of disappointment.

Journalists have also described a very wide variety of games as "Dark souls-like", when they basically have nothing in common except being 3rd person fantasy games with a punishing difficulty.

Hell I've seen that comparison drawn without even the 3rd person fantasy aspect. Just "punishing difficulty" is enough.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I am way more excited about this game than I expected I would be. I started a new play through of PoE just to try and really take in a lot of the lore, much of which I sort of glossed over at the time.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I most certainly hope it isn't anything like Skyrim. But Obsidian hopefully gets free reign to make something interesting.

Most of the Journos are referring to it as "Skyrim-like" so you may possibly be in for a bit of disappointment.

Journalists have also described a very wide variety of games as "Dark souls-like", when they basically have nothing in common except being 3rd person fantasy games with a punishing difficulty.

Hell I've seen that comparison drawn without even the 3rd person fantasy aspect. Just "punishing difficulty" is enough.

Journalist opinions these days are worth less then youtube comments. People still fucking love those number rating for some reason.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »
    I am way more excited about this game than I expected I would be. I started a new play through of PoE just to try and really take in a lot of the lore, much of which I sort of glossed over at the time.

After 50+ hours of playing PoE I may actually go back and maybe finish a game for once.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Journalist opinions these days are worth less then youtube comments. People still fucking love those number rating for some reason.

Ugh, not to go on a tangent, but man I remember the moment I was done with traditional game reviewers.

It was a review for some AAA game and I was actually reading the review. The reviewer was bringing up numerous complaints about the game. When I reach the end the final review score was 9/10. I was like, "Mother fucker, what I just read was not a 9/10 game. 7/10 probably, at best."

Apart from Jason Schreier, who is the only one in the industry that does actual journalism, I am otherwise done with it all.

I've got my fellow PAers to let me know whats what and a handful of Youtubers who's taste in games mirror my own. That's all I really need.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    vamen wrote: »

After 50+ hours of playing PoE I may actually go back and maybe finish a game for once.

Ditto. I have 30+ hours and I've never finished it.
    I finished PoE2, however =p.

EDIT - also I only JUST TODAY found out that all of the gold named NPCs where you read their soul are basically just fan fiction from Kickstarter backers. I've been wasting TONS of time reading all the stories, waiting for them to be relevant or for me to get more powers because of all my experience soul reading. Oi! =p

vamen on
  • Options
    I was, no lie, super pissed off when I found that out early on. Don't get me wrong, they have some interesting stories written up, but goddamn it gets annoying trying to figure out which ones are substantive.

It's a unique way to show how the MC's powers work but ugh.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    As is this game has me very excited but I have no idea how they're going to handle so many things. How do you handle being a cipher how do you handle a watcher ? What about companions?

They could just have the main character not be a watcher, there is plenty to explore in Eora even without that aspect.

But if there is any class system at all you should be able to be a cipher, which will be interesting to see how they handle in a presumably less text heavy game.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Let me summon Urdel and Gerdel, Obsidian!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The Avowed trailer got me to download PoE 1 off of game pass and damn this game is happy to toss F U encounters at you early. The bear, the Wolfpack, and the will-o'-the-wisps will happily tell you to get fucked

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    The Avowed trailer got me to download PoE 1 off of game pass and damn this game is happy to toss F U encounters at you early. The bear, the Wolfpack, and the will-o'-the-wisps will happily tell you to get fucked

Yeah it lets you fiddle around for a while before you start getting party members but you should absolutely get party members ASAP

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Yeah it lets you fiddle around for a while before you start getting party members but you should absolutely get party members ASAP

I remember going into the second dungeon with a partial party, almost getting my ass kicked every damn battle and then coming out and realizing there's a companion right next to the damn place. Don't be me, make some friends first.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Yeah, following the story a little and getting durance and kana helps a lot.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Man I did not even catch that Avowed was in this universe until I saw people mention on the internet.

That makes an already exciting thing that much more exciting!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Man I did not even catch that Avowed was in this universe until I saw people mention on the internet.

That makes an already exciting thing that much more exciting!

I guess the more... observant fans recognized the runes on the sword and deciphered it. “Oathbinder” is what it reads.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    The other thing I remember learning far too late is how it calculates difficulty for the Caed Nua dungeon. If you aren't eating a few pieces of that elephant every time you level, it gets haaaaaaard.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    PoE had a lot of weird gameplay issues. I would love to play through POE2 again, I don’t think I would care to do the same with the original game. I enjoyed it the first time, but POE2 was just so much better.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    PoE had a lot of weird gameplay issues. I would love to play through POE2 again, I don’t think I would care to do the same with the original game. I enjoyed it the first time, but POE2 was just so much better.

One thing I really like about PoE2 is that if you want to finish the main quest it's reasonably short game, so if you are getting bored you can just sail forth and finish it. But if you are still being entertained there's a pile of sidequest islands all over the map.

• Options
    Since I just picked up my last playthrough of PoE 1, remembered another trick I didn't learn about until I had 50+ hours into this game:

If you're using an AoE spell that targets everyone, not just enemies, (i.e. it's not a Foe AoE spell) you'll notice there's an outer ring when you're targeting it. The inner circle affects everyone. The outer ring only affects enemies and ignores allies.

Ta-da! All spells suddenly get way better and easier to toss around.

I was so goddamn pissed when I found that out.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    This is both fantastic and pretty eh for me. I dislike first person melee combat, so I'm likely not going to play it. It's fantastic however because the world is really good and shouldn't be shelved.

Maybe one day we will see another isometric game.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Looking forward to this. Here’s hoping they can actually get dual wielding right. Something Besthesda seems incapable of doing.

"I see everything twice!"