As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I got my Series 7s at Blick Art Supply. I live less than a mile from one so I just went down and grabbed some. I've heard they can be hard to order online here in the states, but I've never really tried so I can't confirm or deny.

Their website is definitely a little weird but my order of acrylic inks from them went super smooth so I may just order the brushes from them as well.
    J wrote: »
    I've used both the W&N Series7 and Rosemary and Co Series 33, the latter has slightly longer bristles. Both extremely good and last for a very long time if cared for. I think the W&N ones are harder to come by across in the states based on folks experiences in this thread? Raphael 8404's are supposed to be good too. Next time I am in the market, ill probably try the Artis Opus ones, just because white.

Here is a pretty decednt list of kolinsky brushes and how they compare.

Thank you! I will start taking a look at this during my downtime at work today.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I got my Series 7s at Blick Art Supply. I live less than a mile from one so I just went down and grabbed some. I've heard they can be hard to order online here in the states, but I've never really tried so I can't confirm or deny.

They're a bitch to find in Canada

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    IIRC, in the states it's because there's regulations requiring imported kolinsky products to have documentation showing it was ethically sourced, and not all manufacturers care to be bothered with the paperwork, let alone the sourcing. Because it's one thing to obtain the fur in a sufficiently humane way, it's a whole extra hassle to have officials periodically come by to inspect your facilities and process the paperwork to verify it. And these policies don't just result in reduced supply, it makes it inconsistent, because every now and then some gets impounded for a bit until things are straightened out. It's inconvenient, but it's good that they're trying to reduce cruelty.

I'd imagine difficulty getting them in Canada is probably for similar reasons.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm in no rush, but just so others might have a degree of expectation: The Greenstuffworld order I placed on June 15th has not yet left Spain.
    That's your international mail update.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I'm in no rush, but just so others might have a degree of expectation: The Greenstuffworld order I placed on June 15th has not yet left Spain.

something I bought from a reseller on ebay took 4 months to arrive
    They shipped it back in March

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Im still waiting on something from Hong Kong I ordered in may

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Blick is sold out on almost everything for series 7 sable brushes.

Still need to figure out a .15mm airbrush as well. I feel like I need to replace that parts on one of my airbrushes. When I run water through it it kind of stutters and I'm not sure why since I clean my airbrushes out really well and use oil to keep them running smooth.

My order I did on June 8th didn't arrive until July 11th.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    IIRC, in the states it's because there's regulations requiring imported kolinsky products to have documentation showing it was ethically sourced, and not all manufacturers care to be bothered with the paperwork, let alone the sourcing. Because it's one thing to obtain the fur in a sufficiently humane way, it's a whole extra hassle to have officials periodically come by to inspect your facilities and process the paperwork to verify it. And these policies don't just result in reduced supply, it makes it inconsistent, because every now and then some gets impounded for a bit until things are straightened out. It's inconvenient, but it's good that they're trying to reduce cruelty.

I'd imagine difficulty getting them in Canada is probably for similar reasons.

This was actually a huge rabbit hole I jumped down when I was deciding on a brush investment. How ethical was the sourcing on the fur. It was quite a rabbit hole, but the long and short is that the reputable brush makers take it pretty seriously and you can be mostly sure the fur was sourced ethically with minimal cruelty.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I've used both the W&N Series7 and Rosemary and Co Series 33, the latter has slightly longer bristles. Both extremely good and last for a very long time if cared for. I think the W&N ones are harder to come by across in the states based on folks experiences in this thread? Raphael 8404's are supposed to be good too. Next time I am in the market, ill probably try the Artis Opus ones, just because white.

I couldn't really figure out from the comparison, are those all supposed to be sable hair brushes? I was gonna check out the artis opus but I don't know if I should be looking for sable or not.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Stragint wrote: »

I couldn't really figure out from the comparison, are those all supposed to be sable hair brushes? I was gonna check out the artis opus but I don't know if I should be looking for sable or not.

Yes, they are all sable brushes. Sable fur holds brush shape and creates a really nice paint well in the brush. They are very durable if cleaned and maintained. You want to look for kolinsky sable, but again, see above about ethical sourcing. Stick to the big brands like Rosemary, W&N, Raphael and Artis Opus and you'll be relatively safe in that regard.

There is synthetic sable out there, but the general consensus (as with a lot of synthetic fibers) is that it just doesn't have the same properties. That said some people really do prefer the synthetics for both ethical and practical reasons. As with anything artistic there is a lot of personal preference and comfort involved.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Yes, they are all sable brushes. Sable fur holds brush shape and creates a really nice paint well in the brush. They are very durable if cleaned and maintained. You want to look for kolinsky sable, but again, see above about ethical sourcing. Stick to the big brands like Rosemary, W&N, Raphael and Artis Opus and you'll be relatively safe in that regard.

There is synthetic sable out there, but the general consensus (as with a lot of synthetic fibers) is that it just doesn't have the same properties. That said some people really do prefer the synthetics for both ethical and practical reasons. As with anything artistic there is a lot of personal preference and comfort involved.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Finding the artis opus brushes is rough. Nothing on amazon or blick.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I use both W&N and Raphael daily. I have had more luck with W&N brushes purchased locally vs shipped. Nearly all I've had shipped have been god-awful right out of the tube. Raphael brushes I have had shipped have had no issues.

I don't know if the cause has been counterfeiting as some would suggest, or just maybe the glue used by Raphael holds up better against that varying environmental conditions present in shipping. YMMV.

I'm not familiar with Artis Opus but I hear good things. They seem like they've stepped in to fill the void left by Broken Toad (RIP). I also saw Squidmar (a youtuber) had a kickstarter for his own set of fancy brushes a while ago and I'd wager they're probably really good. I also hear good things about Rosemary & Co. I know those are what Sorastro uses but I've not found a good way to get them in the states.

One final note: when buying W&N series 7 DO NOT buy the ones labelled "miniature". That does not mean they are for painting miniatures: it means they have very short bristles and that is not what you want. Longer bristles will have a bigger "belly" and can hold more paint but more importantly will allow paint to stay wet on the brush for longer.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

something I bought from a reseller on ebay took 4 months to arrive
    They shipped it back in March

I bought something from the UK and it arrived in a bit over 2 weeks which is normal. I’ve just done another one so we’ll see.

I did a battlefoam order mid May and it still hasn’t arrived, but did leave the US a couple of weeks ago.

A friend ordered something in March from the US that took 4 months to arrive.

Delivery times seem to be all over the place.

• Options
    Well it was a box of Mark III armor, the full set of the sisters of battle cards {they forgot to throw it in with the codex I got from them of the special edition army} and some skaven
    But it was a box with a ton of things I bought from them at the end of June came within less than 2 weeks. A large box so yes delivery times are all over the place

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Well hey my Battlefoam arrived. 9 weeks from order to my door.

• Options
    I use both W&N and Raphael daily. I have had more luck with W&N brushes purchased locally vs shipped. Nearly all I've had shipped have been god-awful right out of the tube. Raphael brushes I have had shipped have had no issues.

I don't know if the cause has been counterfeiting as some would suggest, or just maybe the glue used by Raphael holds up better against that varying environmental conditions present in shipping. YMMV.

I'm not familiar with Artis Opus but I hear good things. They seem like they've stepped in to fill the void left by Broken Toad (RIP). I also saw Squidmar (a youtuber) had a kickstarter for his own set of fancy brushes a while ago and I'd wager they're probably really good. I also hear good things about Rosemary & Co. I know those are what Sorastro uses but I've not found a good way to get them in the states.

One final note: when buying W&N series 7 DO NOT buy the ones labelled "miniature". That does not mean they are for painting miniatures: it means they have very short bristles and that is not what you want. Longer bristles will have a bigger "belly" and can hold more paint but more importantly will allow paint to stay wet on the brush for longer.

I am kind of worried about shipping since I live in Arizona and it is disgustingly hot. I don't know of any places I can buy brushes at besides Michaels and my LGS but I think they only sell GW and army painter brushes.

Even if I did order online I still haven't been able to find a place to buy the brushes. Not sure what sites are good.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Taking advantage of the Frostgrave II launch offer from Northstar miniatures to get a mix of their wizard, soldier and knight plastic sprues for £20 to make a Frostgrave warband. Soldiers and wizards come in a choice of male or female.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14918

The choice of the female soldier sprue over the male one was easy as I have many more men than ladies in my existing generic fighter figure collection. For wizards however my current collection seems roughly evenly balanced so I had to examine the contents of the female vs the male sprue to see what appealed more.

This arm piece may have sold me on the female one:

tEwU9mn.png

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Taking advantage of the Frostgrave II launch offer from Northstar miniatures to get a mix of their wizard, soldier and knight plastic sprues for £20 to make a Frostgrave warband. Soldiers and wizards come in a choice of male or female.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14918

The choice of the female soldier sprue over the male one was easy as I have many more men than ladies in my existing generic fighter figure collection. For wizards however my current collection seems roughly evenly balanced so I had to examine the contents of the female vs the male sprue to see what appealed more.

This arm piece may have sold me on the female one:

tEwU9mn.png

Banjo always needs more worshippers.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've been working on a thing when I'm not working to get paid and I feel like it's slowly killing me.
    1hTmDz8.jpg
    eeRnnvN.jpg

I think maybe it's time to take a break from that thing for a bit.

edit: maybe I should also learn to take less-shitty pictures

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Holy shits and vinegars, you've even fully done her eyes. Er, I mean, yes, yes, such shitty pictures... I saw a British Youtuber who goes by 'The Might Jingles' and occasionally does model themed videos (he likes his scale tanks) do that one and he was just like, 'and green snake it is.' I cannot wait to see what you do with her hat.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I have no idea what I'm gonna do with that fucking hat. I'm thinking red with yellow embroidery, but I may have painted myself into a corner with that

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I guess artis opus just had a website to buy from so I'm gonna order them and hope the mail doesn't take forever.

https://store.artis-opus.com/collections/series-s/products/series-s-brush-set

That is essentially what I need, right?

Stragint on

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Damn, here I was coming in here to complain about painting some Nighthaunt and how I had never done ghosts before.

Watched a video that said to prime white and then just use a shade on the ghostly bits. So I tried out some green camo shade ink and that worked pretty nicely for the effort.

The only other painting video I could find had to use like 4 or 5 different shades of white and gray all blending into each other, which I will not be doing as I am both cheap and lazy.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    GW's oxide paint is like magic for the ghosts.

Prime white
    Wash with oxide thinned with water/medium
    Optional teal ink or gloom whatever its called in the deep shadows
    Drybrush ulthuan grey
    Drybrush white

Old picture of ghosts spoiler

yop6ry9nbypl.jpg
    I guess artis opus just had a website to buy from so I'm gonna order them and hope the mail doesn't take forever.

Those are the ones yeah. Might pick up a set myself once payday rolls round. :)

J on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Prime white
    Drybrush ulthuan grey
    Drybrush white

yop6ry9nbypl.jpg

What did you use for the black shawls? I’ve been debating using a light or dark brown with nuln oil

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Prime white
    Drybrush ulthuan grey
    Drybrush white

yop6ry9nbypl.jpg

What did you use for the black shawls? I’ve been debating using a light or dark brown with nuln oil

I use Black Templar contrast

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Is the m series of brushes worth getting at all? They have shorter bristles so I'm feeling like they aren't worth grabbing over the s series.

There is also a dry brush set.

https://store.artis-opus.com/products/series-m-brush-set?variant=30299186725000

Stragint on

• Options
    edited July 2020

P3 Battlefield brown for lighter ones
    GW Rhinox Hide for darker ones
    P3 Traitor Green for err...greener ones

All are highlighted with either bone or grey mixed into the base colour. Then washed very liberally with brown, black and green washes. I usually do an all over wash in one shade to tie the highlights in, then go back over crevices etc with more of the other shades to darken and tint areas to taste.

scel3rfgbigo.jpg

Trotting along with the birdmen. Experimenting with flesh colours. 8-) A friend suggested I try batch painting to get em done sooner. So as you can see, I started 2 at once! woah!

J on
  • Options
    Went HAM and got the series S, M, and D sets for artis opus and two extra brushes. $272 which breaks down to about $19 per brush which is around where I was expecting the price to fall.

• Options
    Why do you need so many brushes? I use my size 1 almost exclusively. Even fine detail you can do with a normal sized brush when your brushes are very good, as they help with paint control. I occasionally bust out the 0 or 00 for very fine highlighting but it's like 80/20 thing. Things like dry brushing you don't want to do with good brushes anyway.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Look after them!

J on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Anybody have an opinion on priming with gesso? I picked some up for cheap to get free shipping on an unrelated order.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    Anybody have an opinion on priming with gesso? I picked some up for cheap to get free shipping on an unrelated order.

Depends on what you apply to it to and paint over it with

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I remember gesso being trendy in some model painting circles a while ago but never tried it myself.

I know, dakkadaka, but it seems pretty in-depth
    https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    A friend suggested I try batch painting to get em done sooner. So as you can see, I started 2 at once! woah!

Woah there, you don't have to go all in at once.

• Options
    I am batch painting my swarm of termagants but I kind of stopped because I am deabating about doing more to them not quite the cursed images

• Options
    Why do you need so many brushes? I use my size 1 almost exclusively. Even fine detail you can do with a normal sized brush when your brushes are very good, as they help with paint control. I occasionally bust out the 0 or 00 for very fine highlighting but it's like 80/20 thing. Things like dry brushing you don't want to do with good brushes anyway.

I don't know if I do need that many but at the moment I only use like 4 different brushes so I thought I might see what it's like to have a bunch of options.

• Options
    The payment for the order is still pending so I can cancel it and just get the s series brushes since it seems like buying all of the brushes seems to not be worth it.

Though I am curious about what everyone uses for a dry brush. I have the medium and large dry brush from GW but I'm honestly not much of a fan of them, the medium went kind of bad fast but that could also be 100% due to me not really taking care of my brushes beyond rinsing them in water and storing them bristle point up.

• Options
    I just use old knackered brushes. Cheap makeup brushes work well too.

The set of drybrushes they do look interesting and they have a good few youtube vids on how to use them so you can see if its something you could see yourself getting the value out of.

The miniature ones, well they sound just like the miniature series 7 ones. Smaller bellies and shorter bristles.

My birdlads were entirely painted with a Rosemary and Co size 1.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Makeup brushes are the best for drybrushing.

I own a lot of brushes, but I only ever use two: Raphael size 2 (equivalent of W&N size 3) for pretty much everything. For rare stuff like pupils or detailing freehand, a size 0.

I'm sure those Artis Opus brushes are all great but there's 0 chance you need all of them.

Side note: when I bought my Raphael size 2 from Amazon I paid for 1 (I think like $13) and they sent me a pack of 5, so I'm basically set for life. YMMV.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705