As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The legend of Peas the deadbeat continues 2021 edition NSFW

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    k3ecgurhpfpn.png

Probably not worth posting, but I did nothing much except watching modeling videos and playing with balls today
    edit: Sweet I made it to page 6!

edit:

Beginners Alien Sculpting Tutorials - Easy Follow Along 15:33

https://youtu.be/NjGZ0uQREV0

33hdu5gt91aw.png

Decided to switch it up and learn sculpting today, I did have the chance to go through a zbrush crash course for 2 weeks a few years back and it's mindblowing how much a free software like Blender can manage to be so similar to it. Current thoughts are it's really fun and I hope to be able to do more of it in the future.

Peas on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Nice! One thing I've found really helps with sculpts and 3d in general is messing around with lighting.

For sculpts in particular, try looking into "3 point portrait lighting". As much as the fundamentals are important, It took me a long time to realize presentation is just as important to research and practice!

[edit] Just went back and checked page 5. Nice stuff dude!! If you're enjoying doing 3d, keep pushing on that stuff. It's looking good!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Thanks mate! Yea after modeling a bunch of stuff I realized how much lighting can make or break a scene. Been going through Blender Guru's lighting course which made a bunch of stuff clicked too.

Kinda regret running away from using a 3d software but I guess a reason is that they are so much accessible now that even someone like me can finally learn to do it.

edit: Tried to draw something today, started with sketching from references

NSFW
    d13dcjg6ad8p.png

Peas on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Blender 2.8 for Beginners - Making a 3D Lightsaber - Basic Modeling (2/5) 21:10
    https://youtu.be/pgoubdEs6po
    rf57d742u9rp.png
    zg9k5g7enug1.png
    Made a lasersword

Peas on
  • Options
    My haul for today:

Blender Beginner Tutorial 1/4 | Blocking Tutorial 5:45
    It's a pretty bad tutorial and I wouldn't recommend any beginners to start with this. Pretty disappointing since it's something official from Blender. I tried to keep up with it for a couple of hours before giving up at the part where I have to unwrap uvs. Maybe next time.

mi8zx3qw4yyh.png

Unwrapping & Placing 2d Textures | Blender 2.8 | Beginner 19:02
    Trying to unwrap my mind and gain more experience about unwrapping textures
    cvur1bpnnmbh.png

Creating Grass | the Cheap and Easy Way | Blender 2.81 19:08
    Most fun I have today, no modeling skills required since it's mostly just using the software to manipulate and duplicate stuff. The stuff behind is a background image.
    ggeqa33f85p8.png

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Blender Intermediate Modelling Tutorial - Part 1 13:39 Not sure if I would fully recommend this because it uses an older version of Blender which could lead up to a lot of frustrating moments among moments throughout the entire course. It did run me through a ton of processes and features which I didn't know exist. I think this might be one of the few exceptions in which I recommend people to read youtube comments, it's pretty much impossible to proceed without their help.
    rdd823g778gp.png

Room Blender Tutorial With Commentary 46:15 I finally understand enough to be able to keep up with his tutorials I think, I picked something which doesn't seem too hardcore for me to handle though. Going to try out a outdoor scene from him next.
    chg6th14spr0.png

edit:
    Enchanted Forest Blender Tutorial with Commentary 46:30 I really love this even though it's something I copied from a tutorial
    b0efqnvdpxao.png

Peas on
  • Options
    Fuck dude. You're killing it with this 3d stuff!

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, I really appreciate your comment! I wish I could take the credit for making these but they are just pale imitations of the originals I suppose. I did get a lot out of them though, particularly the composition and lighting besides the technical aspects of using the software. Hopefully I will be able to create something on my own after a certain point.

I tried to do this base mesh tutorial but apparently people don't do this nowadays since it's an outdated technique? I only found out after I read a comment:
    Modeling a character BaseMesh in Blender (Tutorial) 2:28:20
    Also learn how to do a turntable from this:
    360 Turntable Animation Loop in Blender 2.8 - Tutorial (Eevee) 4:17
    4cwrnjc2cyu8.gif
    I didn't really pull it off to be honest, too many mistakes in the topology (especially the topology!) as well proportional and anatomy problems. I will just have to suck it up and try to do better next time.

edit:
    Get Rich Quick! - Making GOLD COINS in Blender 11:35 Super fun to model and pose around with.
    tkcp1v2nqtwq.png

Peas on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Peas, these are looking awesome! I love the colors on the mushroom one especially. Any thoughts on a project that might use 3d modeling?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I don't have any plans for creating any personal 3d projects as of now but at the end of the day I really want to go down the fantasy route
    I am having fun with the tutorials so far but I guess I should try to also do something larger in scope like an environment but the tutorials for those are harder to find I think?

Peas on
  • Options
    FANTASY CASTLE | Beginner Course | Blender 2.8 11:51 xl1zm5v0sa6r.png

Not my proudest attempt, I sucked at texturing painting and also made a lot of modeling mistakes. Tried to hide those as much as possible in this render. Still had a lot of fun with this one though.

• Options
    Crystals - Hand Painted Game Assets - Blender 2.8 19:56
    More texture painting for me tonight, it's kinda therapeutic in a way like painting a miniature in real life. Not sure if my presentation is alright though since it kinda defeats the purpose of paint textures by adding a outside light source as well as emission.
    guxls8bvhzp1.png

Ancient Crypt Blender Low Poly 3D Tutorial with Commentary 33:39
    Finally a tutorial which teaches me how to do the foggy effect aka volumetric/atmospheric lighting. The rendering time though.
    8ugmvcgb0zc1.png

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Quick Garden and Trees Tutorial in Blender 2.83 26:00
    Fresh tutorial from Polygon Runway, with commentary to boot! I've always wanted to do a scene like this. I don't believe I have nailed the lighting but I am still really excited for this one.
    9ovog2e2vk9v.png

Also I tried to make something by myself but that ended in disaster lol, my topology game is non existent.

edit:
    Sculpting for Beginners | How to Sculpt the Eyes | Blender 2.8 28:53
    Squeezed in some sculpting attempt
    0kwa1rdczrhx.png

Peas on
  • Options
    Excellent stuff again!!

I have a challenge for you, if you're interested in accepting it.

Try using what you've learned from all these tutorials, and make something from scratch, for yourself.

It doesn't have to be some epic project, keep it small and manageable. But try and come up with an idea for something you want to make, and then sort of scroll through all the little things you've learned from each tutorial, and apply it to the project you've made for yourself.

Tutorials are all well and good, but taking what you've learned and applying it to your own work, is a huge part of the battle too!!

(Feel free to completely disregard this challenge, you're doing excellent work.)

• Options
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Excellent stuff again!!

Try using what you've learned from all these tutorials, and make something from scratch, for yourself.

It doesn't have to be some epic project, keep it small and manageable. But try and come up with an idea for something you want to make, and then sort of scroll through all the little things you've learned from each tutorial, and apply it to the project you've made for yourself.

Tutorials are all well and good, but taking what you've learned and applying it to your own work, is a huge part of the battle too!!

(Feel free to completely disregard this challenge, you're doing excellent work.)

I second this, and would like to add that this would be a great challenge for you, and if you do decide to take it on I really want to encourage you to see it through to a full piece completion. Even if you think it isn't working out!

From what you've posted, Peas, you have some really good technical skill! You're just really hesitant to put it to use in anything that isn't a tutorial.

Maybe try rendering or painting that soldier resting on a log you've been chipping away at? I really like the pose you came up with for that! Or maybe even just rendering the log and field that the soldier is meant to be sitting in.

And if it turns out poorly, you can at least take comfort in the fact that you tried it out, and that you are still way more skilled than some other people on AC (like me) :P

• Options
    Quickly Create Base Meshes for Sculpting | Skin modifier | Blender 2.8 9:01
    I want to use 3D sculpting to go into learning anatomy at some point, still figuring out how to go about it
    xlgualaom4c8.png

Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Excellent stuff again!!

I second this, and would like to add that this would be a great challenge for you, and if you do decide to take it on I really want to encourage you to see it through to a full piece completion. Even if you think it isn't working out!

From what you've posted, Peas, you have some really good technical skill! You're just really hesitant to put it to use in anything that isn't a tutorial.

Maybe try rendering or painting that soldier resting on a log you've been chipping away at? I really like the pose you came up with for that! Or maybe even just rendering the log and field that the soldier is meant to be sitting in.

And if it turns out poorly, you can at least take comfort in the fact that you tried it out, and that you are still way more skilled than some other people on AC (like me) :P

Thanks for both of your advice and challenges @Sublimus and @Didgeridoo! The pics I posted makes me seem much better than I actually am, I am just following instructions from the videos. I think I am currently at the level to be able to block out simple scenes, actual modeling wise I am still struggling due to not fully understanding topology. I might be able to pull off the log and field scene from the stuff I got from the tutorials, with no characters though since I have no idea how to go about doing that properly as of now. Get back to you folks in a bit!

Also Didgeridoo you are pretty much on another level compared to your previous self so don't think lowly of yourself eh, looking forward to see your new works too

• Options
    I think you have to take the notion that you need to know what you're doing before you create something for yourself, and throw it out the window.

I got caught in that loop for many years. Only when I decided "fuck it, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm gonna TRY!" did I start getting any results. One thing that helped me build confidence was to start super SUPER small.

For example; take one of your scenes you've made and just modify it to something new. Or combine a few into something new. Or think to yourself "I made a coin, what if I just make a treasure chest and fill it with coins and get a nice render?

The more I get caught up trying to make some perfectly planned thing, the more I get bogged down. Keep it simple! And I know it sounds crazy, but try and have FUN! (Honestly in my experience, the more dumb my idea sounds, the more guilty a pleasure it is to create, the better it is, and the more people like it.)

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Hey everyone thanks for your support and advice. I tried to push myself and started a personal work last week.
    I am really happy about this despite knowing there are so many problems and flaws I could have improved on and fix, but please feel free to critique on any aspects of the work regardless of your affinity with 3d modeling. Technical stuff aside I know I have big issues with lighting and composition.

85vv0jipjexc.png
    ktnjas4cmj04.png
    1hcf0ns3odxy.png

I tried to paint the flower texture using clip paint, got the rest of the stuff from textures sites:
    frttakdvrusq.png

Tutorials I referenced for the tree, leaves and grass:
    Create a Realistic Forest in 30 Minutes | Blender 2.8 Tutorial CG Geek Modelling the Shrub #2. Leaves particle system Gleb Alexandrov

Peas on
  • Options
    Peas, that's so awesome! Look at that, your very own tree! I love the cherry blossom texture. The design of the tree itself is really interesting, like it's older and been through a lot.

Kudos to you, buddy!

• Options
    Badass!! You killed it!!

If you're curious about lighting, just find a lighting tutorial that makes a cool mood you want for your tree!

But either way it already looks great!!

• Options
    0w21i92yuqt5.png
    Been a while since I drew something so I tried to sketch from photo references

• Options
    edited July 2020
    pwzoh1nf8mie.png

I feel like I could have thrown in something in there like a person or a tree to set the scale, maybe later when I get back to it

edit:
    Ducky 3D Blender - Easy Environment Design (Blender 2.8) 13:28
    Went back to my comfort zone for a bit and followed a tutorial. Feels good man.
    dph7zu5b7ldh.png

edit:
    Found another good tutorial. It's pretty light on the modeling too, I only make the sword and pretty much everything else was given as a download. It looks pretty good but it's due to following the instructions, I can't pull that off by myself yet just in case people think I have suddenly improved drastically lol

Blender 2.8 Beginner Tutorial - Part 2: Sword (100% FREE) 1:47:45 s1cmwuetqgcw.png

edit:
    How to create a low poly cliff in Blender 2.8 5:33
    Too tired and unfocused today to do anything productive, thought I could at least follow a simple tutorial before I sleep. Interesting to see that there's actually something new in such a short tutorial. Mesh->Randomize
    3t98yky1eh6e.png

Peas on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Yeah that lighting in the sword piece is great!

I have another challenge for you, if you want to take it. :P (Feel free not to! You're in charge of your own learning path after all. I won't feel offended in any way if you decline.)

Find a tutorial you want to do, but before you start, try and think about making something SIMILAR to the tutorial (similar enough so you can use the techniques shown in the video to create your companion piece), but something DIFFERENT enough that you can call it an original work (you don't have to change it that much! try to change it as little as possible while still being "original"). I think this would show you how many artists go about making their work. Taking/learning just enough from what came before you, and then attempting to apply it to something for yourself.

But, again; feel free to completely throw my advice out the window. I hope I don't come off as overbearing or preachy, or that I know much of anything. But I feel like I see a lot of the same struggles I had to go through in you, so I feel my perspective may be of use to you in particular.

Either way, it seems like you're enjoying working in 3d, and the work coming out of it is quite nice. Keep rocking!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for always looking out for my progress, I really appreciate it when people take the time and effort to nudge me to get out of my comfort zone because I might just stay in there for quite a while. Gonna aim for making something a bit more original at least once every week.

Unrelated sketch from photo references, contains nudity:
    0i3tx40sdtz5.png

Peas on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Nice blender stuff! I just started going down the donut-hole a few days ago but it's tons of fun. Keep it up! Would be cool to see some people get into 3d stuff on the AC since Blender is getting so good right now.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Thanks! I enjoy 3d modeling too except for the nodes portion, I know people make amazing stuff with it but it's just so unintuitive to me compared to the rest of the modeling stuff lol

Been working on value and digital painting on and off these couple of days, I feel like I am getting diminishing returns with my current skill so I guess I will move on from this attempt:

Reference image
    id5thvh3xu2o.jpg
    88bn2h9eu6c6.png

edit:
    I just noticed that if I put the reference image on top with a spoiler I can kinda do an "overlay" effect if I toggle it on and off

Peas on
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
  • Options
    Peas this is a major level up! Make sure to celebrate it!!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I am really happy to see that you folks are impressed! I must give the majority of the credit to the photographer for producing such a well lit and high quality image for me to follow. I found the reference on Pinterest and tried to reverse google search, it's taken by Oli Kearon I believe. And I really spent an unreasonable amount of time, like you could maybe beat one or even two Jrpgs with it. In the end though, I am still glad to be able to push it beyond my previous stuff in a way despite sounding like a bummer lol. I would celebrate by eating something nice haha

On reflection I think I am at the level where I understand enough to know what is going on in an (grey scale) image to be able to replicate like 80~90% of it. Like I am more aware of elements(?) like edges, lighting, values and shapes or proportions and can look out for those. Still aiming to be able to "create" as my end game so hopefully getting better at more technical stuff will give me more confidence to push myself further. Also how would you folks begin to tackle color for practice?

Peas on
  • Options
    Well it was time well spent! Putting in those hours, to help wrap your brain around what's happening, and the best way to display that within a painting is a fundamental skill for sure. So never feel bad about putting in the time to do it because you're investing that time and energy back into yourself. You get to reap the rewards of every bit of time you put in.

Even getting to a point where you feel confident saying what is and isn't good reference is great progress! Not too long ago, I could imagine you saying that you wouldn't know how to pick out good reference from bad.

As for color, I don't feel confident enough about the topic to advise fully or comprehensively, so hopefully someone else is willing to chime in. But I would say this; value is 1/3 of color (HSV) so now add in those two other variables, while making sure you're continuing to applying what you know about value.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Did a sketch from photo reference to cap off the week, I have a lot of trouble with the fog and flowers, my current "technique" and understanding can't reproduce them properly.
    Ref img:
    5gwrna514mqp.jpg
    lxf1a2mcc40g.png

I think I will attempt to also use some physical medium next week to switch it up a bit, feels like I am starting to lose momentum again. Hope my copics are still working, I ran away screaming after using them a few times a while back

edit: whoa the proportions are incredibly off this time round, only noticed after I posted them in here
    edit: Btw feel free to provide critique on any of my stuff regardless of your skills, no need to hold back or be polite, I know my replies are pretty whiny sometimes lol

Peas on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Your line work has really improved a lot Peas.

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Had no idea you make such awesome digital and traditional art @Peas ! : 0

If I win the lottery in 2021, I'll definitely invest in your and @Iruka 's Patreon accounts ; )

• Options
    Ha...hallo...
    I guess I am back to square one...forgotten most of the stuff I've learnt again

I just feel so hopeless lol

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    PEAS

I love all your posts in this thread.

PEAS

You should just doodle because that’s a nice thing to do. You’re not in competition with anyone. We want to see what’s in that brain of yours. Come on, do a doodle and post it!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    P E A S

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Your art is so intriguing, love your sketches especially
    Please post more @Peas ^ ^

FYI one of my childhood friends paints for a living, but you're waaay more skilled at drawing anatomy than him... (not that it's a competition, as @Endless_Serpents pointed out ; )

• Options
    Peas I really want to encourage you to look back at some of your first posts in this thread. You've made tremendous progress!

I also want to point out that you routinely lament that you're 'back to square one.' That really isn't the case.

You've come a long way, and honestly your thread is one of the most inspiring in this forum to me. I really appreciate your posts from when you were a true beginner, as it made starting my own drawing journey a bit less intimidating. Seeing the results you've accomplished over the years is also very encouraging!

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for the encouragement folks, I am not giving up on drawing but I have come to terms with not being a real artist because ultimately I lack a soul of one, which is the ability to create. Will be rooting for Endless_Serpent and Didgeridoo, both of you definitely have great potential and are the ones inspiring me instead lol

Thanks for checking my stuff out btw PirateQueen, that was really nice of you

Edit: I want to explore colors this year

Peas on