As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] h o n k

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Crosscode is really starting to click for me, I just did the mine and that boss fight was quite satisfying. Also, more games need to warp the moving platform back to you when you fall off.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Crosscode is really starting to click for me, I just did the mine and that boss fight was quite satisfying. Also, more games need to warp the moving platform back to you when you fall off.

when you can, go back to the starting town and try out some of the combat arts at the dojo there

they let you temporarily change your build and go into training mode so you can practise some of the defensive arts, which become really cool when you can get a few more points in them at later tiers

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I'm digging it, but I'm in the temple mine, and oh boy are there just too many puzzles, none of which assist mode would really help with, I just need fewer or easier puzzles. Also the pacing is feast or famine. A super long stretch at the beginning of basically zero puzzles and just screen upon screen of combat, then ALL the puzzles.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »
    I'm digging it, but I'm in the temple mine, and oh boy are there just too many puzzles, none of which assist mode would really help with, I just need fewer or easier puzzles. Also the pacing is feast or famine. A super long stretch at the beginning of basically zero puzzles and just screen upon screen of combat, then ALL the puzzles.

yeah the pacing on some of the puzzle sections started to get to me as well

like a lot of them are neat, but spending half an hour pulling your hair out on one puzzle, and then it opening up a door, leading to another longer, more complex puzzle made it hard for me to progress

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Y'know those parts in Dark Souls where stuff happens like, you're charging at an archer and just as you close into melee with him, another guy who was hiding around the corner pops out and kicks you off the cliff? And it's frustrating, but after a while you just start viewing those sorts of traps as a weird joke, and you end up enjoying them? That's sort of how I view the puzzles in Crosscode.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Personally I'm enjoying the game changing gears so far, although it helps that my brain goes on autopilot with sliding block puzzles. In the absence of a new Layton game I'll take what I can get.

I also think the mine did a good job of soft introducing the heat mechanics, other than the one early chest that I thought I figured out when I realised I could use the ice, but I was getting ahead of myself.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

The Lethal League folks have decided to make the subtext text and just make a new Jet Set Radio

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My squidperson (squerson) mayoral candidate is so fucking doomed

Aint right! Aint fair!!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    who do you think is going to win

my money's on the cat

but I'm sticking with Capitalism Squidward to the very end

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Oh the cat is going to sweep it OBVIOUSLY it's up against a nerd and a squid that cant talk

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    oh well, I supported the Bishop and the Temperance Campaigner in the first two elections, I'm no stranger to losing

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I've reached the fuck nuclear throne stage of the game. The ice World boss is just pure bullshit. And the game before then is now too easy and routine so it isn't fun to get to the ice World boss any more.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Oh whats that? You dont enjoy the boss that randomly shits and farts and explodes around the map while screamblabbering in a horrid blown out speaker voice? Whyever not?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've reached the fuck nuclear throne stage of the game. The ice World boss is just pure bullshit. And the game before then is now too easy and routine so it isn't fun to get to the ice World boss any more.

There's a shortcut you can use to get there faster.
    In the first world, if you open all three chests (weapon chest, ammo chest and rad canister) before killing too many enemies it spawns a Big Bandit and if you kill him fast enough it opens a portal to a secret level. After beating the secret level it takes you to 3-3.

I've been getting back into Nuclear Throne. I win/loop pretty often, but I also still die to stupid minor things. Last week was the first time I made it past the sewers on a loop.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    you never truly get used to fighting lil hunter

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

My best strategy is having a strong gun, being YV and using pop pop to insta-kill him.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Gave it one more go. Spawned in a wide open area and had the seeker shotgun and flak cannon. I ran about a bit and fired randomly and lil hunter died off screen within seconds. No idea what happened.

Rest of the game was trivial. Sat on the Throne.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of series that I watched die prematurely. For me the biggest two were MegaMan Legends and Jet Set. If that gets a console release and is even close to living up to the originals that is a day one for me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    now all I need is 5D Baba Is You With Multidimensional Time Travel

and then I can remake the drill scene from Pi in my own bathroom

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I had just gotten over the concept of 5d chess making my brain hurt.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Back on that Hades business, fantastic game as usual, but uh is there a source of Titan blood I am missing or does leveling up the weapons entail a tremendous assload of grinding? Rather vexingly Ive already gotten the bloods for clearing zones

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Back on that Hades business, fantastic game as usual, but uh is there a source of Titan blood I am missing or does leveling up the weapons entail a tremendous assload of grinding? Rather vexingly Ive already gotten the bloods for clearing zones

you get another set of blood/diamond/whatever for clearing the zones on different heat levels, unless that's what you mean you have already done. but that seems like...you would have gotten enough.

you also can exchange stuff for stuff randomly at the chef. sometimes the trade is for blood.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    You can only increase heat once you best the final boss though, which I feel is counterproductive for acquiring a resource that makes your weapons permanently better.

• Options
    Hrm yes no heats here oh well fuck you Dad

• Options
    do we know how far away hades is from its full release?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    do we know how far away hades is from its full release?

i dunno if we know date-wise but i think they were saying that the next update will be the 1.0 update

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

you get another set of blood/diamond/whatever for clearing the zones on different heat levels, unless that's what you mean you have already done. but that seems like...you would have gotten enough.

you also can exchange stuff for stuff randomly at the chef. sometimes the trade is for blood.

You can also complete prophecies as some of them give blood, but I don't know what unlocks that, since it was added in after I started playing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah prophecies are where I'm focused right now - the final boss is a fucking bear and I honestly don't even particularly want to beat him with the current game state

• Options
    Ugh, these platforming parts of Crosscode are so boooooring. Finding the one ledge I can leap up to and figuring out the path to take is doing my head in.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    You can only increase heat once you best the final boss though, which I feel is counterproductive for acquiring a resource that makes your weapons permanently better.

I would argue otherwise. The primary method of improvement is darkness to increase mirror abilities. Blood is to succeed at progressively harder runs.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Well right now bloods is to allow me to hail satan ASAP

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »

I would argue otherwise. The primary method of improvement is darkness to increase mirror abilities. Blood is to succeed at progressively harder runs.

Sure, darkness is the primary method, but that doesn't mean that blood isn't a method?

Like, the way that the game is set up now, it's used for succeeding at progressively harder runs, yes. But that's only because that's the only time you can get it. If it were more available earlier on, it would also be a method for succeeding at the easy baby runs that some of us still think are very hard.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Sure, darkness is the primary method, but that doesn't mean that blood isn't a method?

Like, the way that the game is set up now, it's used for succeeding at progressively harder runs, yes. But that's only because that's the only time you can get it. If it were more available earlier on, it would also be a method for succeeding at the easy baby runs that some of us still think are very hard.

Getting blood earlier would definitely increase the odds of success, but my response was more of a philosophical one to the use of the word "counterproductive". I think Supergiant's design philosophy is that blood is for later runs rather than for the first runs. Whether that's a good idea or not is certainly up to interpretation.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Yeah, as far as easy baby runs being too difficult, it feels like Supergiant has been pretty explicit that God Mode is their intended balancing mechanism for adjusting the base difficulty, not power ups.

• Options
    I reserve the right to complain about the difficulty and the right to refuse a belittling self-prescribed lowering of the difficulty

• Options
    I reserve the right to complain about the difficulty and the right to refuse a belittling self-prescribed lowering of the difficulty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IPtE_vE_U

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i just started playing games on easy, generally. never looked back, winning is the most fun.

• Options
    No ruthleasly dominating a video game and stamping on its pathetic digital ballbag is the most fun absorbing and understanding the psychology of the people who made it and what they did to stop you and using that understanding to reduce their game to PISS DUST