As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ducktales 2017

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »
    This was my favorite episode of the season so far, it was just so dang fun.
    Louie is absolutely the 2nd Millionaire Miser who brings in others to wrestle for him like Captain Crash or Gizmo Duck or Bombi ala Ted DiBiase.

Huey ends being excellent with the play by play.

Can't believe Dewey didn't get to call his finisher the Popular Piledriver, or that he didn't quite embrace his inner heel. Ah well.

Also, amused that the company that brought us Thor: Ragnorok even censors Hela's name for the kid's show.

TBF on that last point that could just be her name in this world?

Sure, it could be.
    But Hela getting changed to Hecka for a kid's show?

I'd buy the "It's just her name in this world" a lot easier if they had figured out some way to make it a bird pun.

As it is, I figured it was just a jab at censorship in general. They could have used anyone from the Norse pantheon without a problem. Used any of the gods in the ring with no change to the story.
    Fighting was slightly more than half of what the Norse gods were all about (if I'm remembering my mythology classes, the remaining 49% was Loki fucking things that even Zeus would have hesitated at).
    But, instead of throwing Thor or Loki of Freija or Fenrir or any of the other Norse mythological figures in the ring, they went for Hela so they could rename her Hecka.

see317 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »
    This was my favorite episode of the season so far, it was just so dang fun.
    Louie is absolutely the 2nd Millionaire Miser who brings in others to wrestle for him like Captain Crash or Gizmo Duck or Bombi ala Ted DiBiase.

Huey ends being excellent with the play by play.

Can't believe Dewey didn't get to call his finisher the Popular Piledriver, or that he didn't quite embrace his inner heel. Ah well.

Also, amused that the company that brought us Thor: Ragnorok even censors Hela's name for the kid's show.

TBF on that last point that could just be her name in this world?

I think that name choice was specifically because of the audience chant

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I guess this episode wasn't for me

very little of it made any sense within the context of the show or the episode
    ok I get having to wrestle the snake man, but why did scrooge have to dress up and play villain? What were the speeches about releasing your inner heel (or whatever) for? was there a stipulation that you had to be a bad guy and I just missed it? Where did Beakly even come from? Do wrestlers actually care what the crowd thinks of them? I've never seen that to be the case one way or another.

Launchpad was great as always

• Options
    Ugh I was writing a whole essay but basically
    wrestling requires a good villian. Heel's job is to give the crowd a target. Dewey cant take being hated and had to learn thats not really whats important its doing the job whatever it takes.
    In the end though he managed to save his character/Earth by becoming an underdog and making the previous hero into a heel

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

ok I get having to wrestle the snake man, but why did scrooge have to dress up and play villain? What were the speeches about releasing your inner heel (or whatever) for? was there a stipulation that you had to be a bad guy and I just missed it? Where did Beakly even come from? Do wrestlers actually care what the crowd thinks of them? I've never seen that to be the case one way or another.

I don't know if you're into watching Pro Wrestling, but if you're not at least a passing fan of WWE or whatever other wrestling shows are still around, then this episode was definitely not for you.
    In regards to professional wrestlers, yes, they absolutely care what the crowd thinks of them. Maybe not so much if they're liked or hated like Dewey was concerned about, but a wrestler who doesn't work the crowd, who doesn't draw fans (either to cheer or boo) is not going to get the top matches or a chance at winning titles. They'll be intro matches for the new guys that might have some charisma and can maybe work a crowd, right up until their contract expires, then they're going to be looking for a new job.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    wrestling requires a good villian. Heel's job is to give the crowd a target. Dewey cant take being hated and had to learn thats not really whats important its doing the job whatever it takes.
    In the end though he managed to save his character/Earth by becoming an underdog and making the previous hero into a heel
    see317 wrote: »

I don't know if you're into watching Pro Wrestling, but if you're not at least a passing fan of WWE or whatever other wrestling shows are still around, then this episode was definitely not for you.
    In regards to professional wrestlers, yes, they absolutely care what the crowd thinks of them. Maybe not so much if they're liked or hated like Dewey was concerned about, but a wrestler who doesn't work the crowd, who doesn't draw fans (either to cheer or boo) is not going to get the top matches or a chance at winning titles. They'll be intro matches for the new guys that might have some charisma and can maybe work a crowd, right up until their contract expires, then they're going to be looking for a new job.

this is going to be an ugly quote tree eventually lol
    I would understand the context if it was professional wrestling .... but that's not what this was. It's a wrestling match once every decade to determine the fate of the world. I can't see scrooge caring about the crowd even a little bit and it seemed really weird in the context of the overall show.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

this is going to be an ugly quote tree eventually lol
    I would understand the context if it was professional wrestling .... but that's not what this was. It's a wrestling match once every decade to determine the fate of the world. I can't see scrooge caring about the crowd even a little bit and it seemed really weird in the context of the overall show.
    The Norse are big on tradition and spectacle in general. If Scrooge didn't go along with it, it would be even more difficult to win the match and save the world.

Alternately:
    Scrooge as a pro wrestling heel is hilarious.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Well yeah, but completely out of character

young scrooge maybe

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Well yeah, but completely out of character

young scrooge maybe

I think it works in the context we were given:
    so at the start, when Jormungandr is giving his speech to the crowd he sets up the stakes as being his victory will set the stage for Ragnarok and usher in the destruction of the earth, sending all its inhabitants there to Valhalla with the greatest warriors.

And given all the spectators are, well, warriors who have died and gone to Valhalla, this is a good thing. Valhalla is paradise, so why wouldn’t everyone love being ushered into Valhalla in a glorious blaze of the earth’s molten doom?

But here you’ve got this stick in the mud Scrooge fighting to make sure that doesn’t happen, that everyone on earth stays on earth instead of Awesome Warrior Afterlife. So for the audience he is, by default, the heel. Some century and a half old coot denying the very ideal of an afterlife by his near immortality is trying to keep all of earth from knowing the glory of Awesome Warrior Afterlife. Even if he didn’t embrace the persona of the Millionaire Miser, he’s still be the villain in the crowd’s eyes.

That’s probably why they hate Dewey from the get go. It’s not simply his kind of corny persona, it’s that he’s also Team Earth, trying to stop all the poor people of earth from being ushered and welcomed into Valhalla

That said, given how long Scrooge has been doing this match every decade, he probably did adopt the persona in his younger years, and so he kept the schtick going for more than a century

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Pretty much
    Millionaire Miser's just a gimmick, a persona adopted by Scrooge to do the thing, cause in wrestling, that's what you do to keep the crowd in to the show and paying to come see the show, or in the case, potentially piss off a bunch of Viking ghosts who might decide not to wait for Ragnorok and go haunt/raid earth.

Plenty of heels play heels on TV without being complete shitbirds IRL (For a given value in most cases) so it makes sense for Scrooge to keep the gimmick even though he's not the bad guy.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I think it feels like playing up the character is a very Scrooge thing to do for this show’s iteration of Scrooge who is all for the fun of adventure.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So, any word on when this is coming back? I imagine the pandemic is messing with things so I'm not expecting it anytime soon, but was curious if they had any tentative plans.

• Options
    So, any word on when this is coming back? I imagine the pandemic is messing with things so I'm not expecting it anytime soon, but was curious if they had any tentative plans.

Nope, they're not appearing at virtual comic-con either. Last we heard was this:

The good news is that animation production is continuing in general, so we'll get it eventually.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    pckkr7e7psg51.jpg?width=768&auto=webp&s=bdef4c310c235574e9575334a1fc18b91ef5af00

So it looks like on October 19h we're getting what I can only imagine is a revision of Darkly Dawns the Duck, since we've already seen they have character designs for Gosalin and Taurus.

And it seems there's some other less important Ducktales episodes here and there in the coming months as well.

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    it feels like they are dragging this season out. didnt we have multiple episodes a week in august of last year and by november the season was done?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    it feels like they are dragging this season out. didnt we have multiple episodes a week in august of last year and by november the season was done?

There's a worldwide pandemic going on.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Even beyond the pandemic, that's just Disney and animation.

Ask any fan of Gravity Falls.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    And there was absolutely 1 if not 2 decently sized gaps between parts 1 and 2 of Season 2 as I recall.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Just watched today's new episode.
    I know they're not allowed to use Mickey Mouse in this show (yet), but reinventing the Phantom Blot's motivation as a general crusade against magic and a specific vendetta against Magica de Spell felt really off. I can't see how this version of the Phantom Blot could ever end up becoming Mickey's archnemesis. Then again, I was skeptical of Darkwing Duck being a TV character too, so who knows what they've got planned.

I am glad to see Magica finally get her powers back though. I was getting tired of her being a joke villain.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    PUT SEASON THREE ON DISNEY PLUS, YOU BASTARDS!!!

I'm so behind and its starting to make me sad. :razz:

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Giancarlo Esposito discusses voicing the role of the villainous Phantom Blot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzzyk0os-QQ

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    In Valhalla you fight all day
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Disney is afraid to ditch Disney channel and its really hurting plus imo every show they make should be next day on plus

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    In Valhalla you fight all day
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Disney is afraid to ditch Disney channel and its really hurting plus imo every show they make should be next day on plus

I don't mind that they have the season on broadcast first, per se. I used to have the Disney channel before I cut my cable package severely.

It's just been a longer wait than usual, it seems, between when the season aired and when it should have hit it's own streaming service.

• Options
    Owl house finished last month and still isnt up. They're dragging the releases on purpose when id tbey just had a constant stream of new content people would stay subbed beyond just wanting simpsons and classic movie access

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    The main problem is a Disney season can stretch out over 2 years, so waiting for a show to hit streaming is unbearable.

• Options
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »
    The main problem is a Disney season can stretch out over 2 years, so waiting for a show to hit streaming is unbearable.

While I would never suggest pirating

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Halloween theme song. Unfortunately only the very end has different visuals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv-wAZIBOKk

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The holiday themes are fun.
    Launchpad should maybe be in a hospital

• Options
    Launchpad
    believing Halloween is a literal monster invasion for most of his life

definitely transcends stupid into psychosis.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Launchpad

In our universe, sure. In theirs? It wouldn't even be the weirdest thing that happened that week.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Launchpad

I think the underground episode established he is in fact quite insane

• Options
    One week till Darkwing! Entertainment Weekly has a short, extremely vague synopsis and a short video that doesn't spoil anything, unless you're wondering if Launchpad will get any smarter.
    He does not.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Much more spoilery preview video below. Not kidding. You have been warned.

• Options
    Much more spoilery preview video below. Not kidding. You have been warned.

IT'S HAPPENING!
    tenor.gif?itemid=18624896

• Options
    that looks amazing

.... but that music(?) suuuuuucks

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    They better have the original Darkwing theme or a passable remix, or else cancel the entire Duck Tales show.

• Options
    that looks amazing

Thats just generic disney channel commercial music I doubt the show proper would use that

• Options
    that looks amazing

Thats just generic disney channel commercial music I doubt the show proper would use that

fingers crossed!

• Options
    They better have the original Darkwing theme or a passable remix, or else cancel the entire Duck Tales show.

They've already had the actual ending theme featured in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmbflPyQ2RI