As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Finity

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Finity

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Oh shit it's a triptych!

• Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    Jack Black's beard is way too small.

• zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Oh shit it's a triptych!

It's a shame. Three Tychos would've gotten us a triptycho.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I too don't understand why people like Jack Black.

Everyone I've asked thought the Halo Infinite trailer was either "awesome" or "awesome but too short." But Gabe and Tycho hate Halo as they established years ago, so this understandable.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    On the other hand, I haven’t heard anyone say anything other than it looked bland and resembled a poor quality start of this generation game. I was honestly confused when I saw it because I didn’t realise it was supposed to be a next gen game. I thought it was some kind of history thing before getting into the actual reveal.

Edit: Even some journalists have pointed out it didn’t exactly wow anyone. It’s not exactly a Tycho/Gabe exclusive issue.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Everyone I've asked thought the Halo Infinite trailer was either "awesome" or "awesome but too short." But Gabe and Tycho hate Halo as they established years ago, so this understandable.

Really?

Nothing about it looked remotely next gen. Especially considering this is like their flagship series.

The faces legit looked worse than some current gen games. That's not a good look at all.

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    But having Jack Black in your game is sure to make it a success. Look at what happened to Dead Island 2... oh.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

They definitely used to compare it unfavorably to driving nails through genitalia, but for at least a couple of the later iterations they actually liked it.

steam_sig.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I'm having one of those "I guess this shows me how disconnected I am from something like Halo" moments.

I'm not even sure if by "The Halo Infinite Trailer" we're talking about the "Cinematic Trailer" or the "Gameplay Demo" or even the "Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer". Or maybe something else entirely?

I wonder, because I watched all of those and while they seemed bland to me, every Halo has seemed bland to me, and these types of games in general. I'm really straining to see the connection in panel 1. I just don't get how it's somehow noteworthy in its terribleness.

Also, I feel dumb because I only now realized that each panel is talking about a completely different game (further confused by the comic title "Finity" only seeming to refer to one of them).

I'm getting too old for this shit.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    T-Danger wrote: »
    But having Jack Black in your game is sure to make it a success. Look at what happened to Dead Island 2... oh.
    No no no! That’s just one game. Look at something like Brutal Leg- hmmmmmm.

(I like Brutal Legend though)

YL9WnCY.png
  • v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    Meh, don't really get the Halo Hate. I will agree that the visuals were nothing particularly impressive, and I'm not a huge fan of the Master Chief re-design for this entry, as it feels like a bland regression over the design used in the last two games. But, the gameplay looked snappy. There were some new features that looked like they would be fun. I appreciated the more open world approach. It's nothing to get hyped over. But far from falling down the up escalator while showing your ass.

Sterica wrote: »

I liked Brutal Legend as well. But that game would have been sooooooo much better if it had tried to be a Zelda clone, instead of trying to be some strange Real Time Strategy hybrid.

• blueArcanablueArcana Registered User regular
    That's what Darksiders is for

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    dennis wrote: »
    I'm having one of those "I guess this shows me how disconnected I am from something like Halo" moments.

I'm not even sure if by "The Halo Infinite Trailer" we're talking about the "Cinematic Trailer" or the "Gameplay Demo" or even the "Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer". Or maybe something else entirely?

I wonder, because I watched all of those and while they seemed bland to me, every Halo has seemed bland to me, and these types of games in general. I'm really straining to see the connection in panel 1. I just don't get how it's somehow noteworthy in its terribleness.

Also, I feel dumb because I only now realized that each panel is talking about a completely different game (further confused by the comic title "Finity" only seeming to refer to one of them).

I hadn't even heard about it until this morning, but I guess part of it is the texture and lighting quality has gone down over time, and then something about it supposed to be a showcase for a next-gen system being outdone by current gen games.
    I guess.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/we-should-talk-about-halo-infinites-not-quite-next-gen-premiere/

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    v2micca wrote: »

I liked Brutal Legend as well. But that game would have been sooooooo much better if it had tried to be a Zelda clone, instead of trying to be some strange Real Time Strategy hybrid.

I have no idea what game you two are talking about. I've never heard of this "Brutal Legend". I did play an amazing game called Brütal Legend. That was an amazing game that didn't get its due.

YoungFrey on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I have no idea what game you two are talking about. I've never heard of this "Brutal Legend". I did play an amazing game called Brütal Legend. That was an amazing game that didn't get its due.

It was a great introduction to metal music for me. I actually went out of my way to unlock all the tracks.

But uhh yeah the awkward combo of hack-n-slash plus RTS.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Halo looked very same-y. Has some nice new flourishes, but it's Halo. I can't really be excited about #5 (what number are we at?) of the series that doesn't particular look like it belongs in a 2020 next gen presentation. There's a video somewhere that compares TLOU2 vs the Halo Infinite visuals, and it's kind of jarring to watch. Granted TLOU2 is a fairly linear experience, and Infinite 'looks' open world, even Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Zero Dawn are visually much more impressive. It was just weird. I saw the opening cinematic of the suit getting made and went, wow this game is going to look really stunning. Then the actual gameplay visuals just look okay? For XBOneX and PS4 Pro standards, even. It's just surprising to see. Almost every game after Halo had vastly higher visual fidelity, but again, it could have just been the stream limitations.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    blueArcana wrote: »
    That's what Darksiders is for

I liked Brutal Legend but yeah, if Brutal Legend had just been basically Darksiders then I probably would have liked it even more.

H9f4bVe.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I didn't know there was a trailer until after I read today's comic. For any of the 3 panels. So my viewing experience of all 3 of those games was seen through the lens of this Penny Arcade comic. So take the following opinion with a huge heaping of salt.

But specifically regarding Halo, I assume the "guy falling endlessly on an escalator" is all of the early parts of the trailer, where the game failed repeatedly to impress, and did not look at all like a next-gen videogame. And I assumed the "at the end... we could see his butt" was in reference to the alien snarly faced orc lookin dude who gave this really long boring speech.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Halo looked very same-y. Has some nice new flourishes, but it's Halo. I can't really be excited about #5 (what number are we at?) of the series that doesn't particular look like it belongs in a 2020 next gen presentation. There's a video somewhere that compares TLOU2 vs the Halo Infinite visuals, and it's kind of jarring to watch. Granted TLOU2 is a fairly linear experience, and Infinite 'looks' open world, even Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Zero Dawn are visually much more impressive. It was just weird. I saw the opening cinematic of the suit getting made and went, wow this game is going to look really stunning. Then the actual gameplay visuals just look okay? For XBOneX and PS4 Pro standards, even. It's just surprising to see. Almost every game after Halo had vastly higher visual fidelity, but again, it could have just been the stream limitations.
    Halo Infinite is the 8th mainline game, actually.

Unflattering comparisons can be made between contemporary games and Halo Infinite, but there are plenty enough unflattering comparisons I've seen between Infinite and previous games in the series.

• GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I gotta say, compared to Sony's hype machine reveal for the PS5, the E3@Home stuff was a lot more tame. I really hope Microsoft has their own conference planned, because if that was meant to be their big reveal for the Series X early titles... it looks like Sony is going be a lot stronger coming out of the gate. For starters, most of the trailers were reveals rather than gameplay, so they're likely a long way off. Even the ones that weren't reveals tell you very little about the game - yay, we're getting a new Fable, the next Halo is on track, The Gunk looks surprisingly good, they have timed exclusivity on some like The Medium and STALKER 2 which look really good. But I didn't see anything that made me squee like I did when I saw the trailer for Demon's Souls or Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I have no idea what any of these panels are about but if Double Fine is Doing Things, I am listening.

Watching the footage of Halo again, it really feels like its incomplete and needs a lot more work to be the standard required. I really don't know what they were thinking showing it.

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    dennis wrote: »

I hadn't even heard about it until this morning, but I guess part of it is the texture and lighting quality has gone down over time, and then something about it supposed to be a showcase for a next-gen system being outdone by current gen games.
    I guess.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/we-should-talk-about-halo-infinites-not-quite-next-gen-premiere/

This article made me feel even more like I'm taking crazy pills.

I get that people are underwhelmed by the graphics, but the author criticizes the hexagonal columns making up the cliff face as lazy "repeating cylinder block things" as if they're the product of some engine limitation and couldn't possibly be a stylistic choice ala the giant's causeway which has been used as inspiration for a million things.

Taximes on
    The author specifically criticized those hexagonal columns because they look very low-poly and low-res on the textures. He didn't criticize the concept of the columns, he criticized the appearance of them. Big difference.

Yeah they look very primitive and old generation terrain vortexy.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    halo's a weird thing cause like, they very obviously think we should care about the story/lore/etc but they've rarely if ever provided a reason to do so

it seems like they went to really a lot of effort to do worldbuilding, but then ran out of time/money for character writing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I've never played a Halo, but that trailer/demo/whatever was painfully generic. I mean, the bad guys are essentially Orcs, down to a wannabe constipated Chris Metzen-esque voiced guy delivering that opposite-of-edgy monologue at the end. I can't see how it was impressive to anyone but the most diehard Halo fan.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Really?

Nothing about it looked remotely next gen. Especially considering this is like their flagship series.

The faces legit looked worse than some current gen games. That's not a good look at all.

I consider myself a Halo fan, or at least, I used to be. But honestly? The faces have looked mediocre going all the way back to Halo 3. 2 was really the last time I thought Halo had good human faces compared to its contemporaries.

I've never played Brutal Legend, but my recollection of the coverage at the time was a strong consensus that it would've been better sticking to one genre or another. Almost every review seemed to feel like the hybrid did not work very well and was the game's biggest weakness.
    halo's a weird thing cause like, they very obviously think we should care about the story/lore/etc but they've rarely if ever provided a reason to do so

it seems like they went to really a lot of effort to do worldbuilding, but then ran out of time/money for character writing

I've always felt like they tend to focus on the wrong things. Enemies like the Flood don't stay compelling for long because you can only escape/overcome hordes of mindless monsters directed by a single intelligence for so long before it gets boring, no matter how many new 'bioforms' they show up with. The Covenant civil war that's kicked off in 2 could've been milked for a long while, with lots of interesting ideas. Instead, it's basically resolved off-screen between 2 and 3.

Until they needed to try and bring it back for 4, because they thought they needed a secondary enemy besides the Forerunner dude and his post-human robo-monsters. Mind you, the new internecine Covenant conflict isn't a terrible idea (aside from the repetition), but it feels really stupid when you read the synopsis of why it's happening in-story. They resolved the Flood as an enemy in 3, then decided to start laying pipe to bring them back again in the comics and books, because cyclical never-advancing settings are what people loved about the old Star Wars EU and the pre-8th edition Warhammer 40,000 lore, am I right?

They keep teasing the idea of a human civil war, with the sinister and 'good' parts of the UNSC seemingly often working at cross-purposes to one another, but AFAIK they still haven't pulled the trigger on that one. No, instead we're getting a story of Cortana being a rogue AI, as if that wasn't already handled better by Bungie's Marathon trilogy (which is probably why they ended up not going that direction with the character, despite teasing it in 1 and 2).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • VolguusVolguus Registered User new member
    Johnny17 wrote: »
    Jack Black's beard is way too small.
    Jack went fully into "Old man in the woods" territory with that beard. Mel Gibson must be envious.

I'm probably one of the few people who liked the hybrid gameplay of Brutal Legend, and I honestly wish for a sequel to refine the formula and make it better.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm probably one of the few people who liked the hybrid gameplay of Brutal Legend, and I honestly wish for a sequel to refine the formula and make it better.

Well there's two of us at least.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Brutal Legend was done dirty by EA, focusing on the few Zelda-ish segments and keeping the rts gameplay out of previews and advertising as much as possible. So I think everyone had skewed expectations, but I dunno if you can say that’s the only reason it failed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • graylshapedgraylshaped Registered User new member
    Apologies--this isn't the right place to post this, but there was no link for a right place to say how much I want Nightlight to be a thing. Thanks for the teaser, Gabe, and my money will flow your way once the book happens.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Really?

Yeah, very much so. Admittedly, none of us were meticulously analyzing visual fidelity (thanks for the crap stream quality, Youtube), but gameplay--the list of open-world shooters running at 60 FPS even at 1080p, much less 4K, on console is very short.

DF has a much more in-depth look at the actual visual graphics. Gameplay looked outstanding, but there's only 8 minutes of it (beats sitting in a tomb full of very pretty statues for the same length of time).

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The author specifically criticized those hexagonal columns because they look very low-poly and low-res on the textures. He didn't criticize the concept of the columns, he criticized the appearance of them. Big difference.

To back this up. The paragraph in question. At no point does he criticize the use of columns. Just how poorly they are rendered.
    But there's something weird about one physical construct that the demo reinforces over and over: a series of solid-gray pillars everywhere. Some of these, seen in the above image, have a "wash" of textured lines you might expect from a PS3 game. Others are solid-gray, like they'd been imported from an N64 game. The amount of detail varies based on how close they are to the camera, and this "level of detail" (LOD) system, which auto-removes details based on distance from the game's camera, is pretty severe throughout the rest of the Halo Infinite demo.

YoungFrey on
    I've seen an increased number of youtube videos in the past few days defending the graphical prowess of the Halo Infinite demo. Re-occurring themes appear to be, it is an earlier build of the game, it was running on a rig that was not optimized for game, the lighting work is incomplete resulting in a flat bland looking environments and objects.

Apparently, 343 intends to continue working on the game after its release, including releasing full ray-tracing support post launch. But, this doesn't do anything for me. I'm increasingly tired of games that need to rely on post launch patches to provide complete and compelling experiences.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    They've got their personal egos invested in XBOX/Microsoft so have to blindly defend it. That or they're paid shills who got free consoles.