As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wait, this isn't a Homeworld game? [Hardspace: Shipbreaker]

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    My first Gecko I cut something in the wrong order/at the wrong time. Suddenly I'm getting "Reactor entering meltdown" blaring at me. At that point I had no idea how long I had so dove to the rear - luckily I'd stripped the rear hull panels already - and just started cutting around the reactor frantically with the buzzsaw cutter trying to free it up without it going BOOM!

I mananged it and slung it to the barge with half a dozen grapples. I survived but I'd slagged half the aft of the ship in the process.

Great fun!!!

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I had no idea you could pull these off!

9cp8jtabsec51.png

I checked in-game after seeing this image. Some cargo Gecko have them, others don't, which explains the separation issue.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I accidentally figured that out a couple days ago, I was trying to drag that whole back section away and the tether just popped that flap clean off.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    They're marked as rudders, which is a hilarious thing for a vehicle built to operate in space.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    They're marked as rudders, which is a hilarious thing for a vehicle built to operate in space.

They probably work to redirect thrust, functioning similarly to a rudder on a ship or plane.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh right, thrust vectoring is a thing.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Note to self: reactors like coolant.

That third gecko was going so well too...

Patch Notes! - https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/5311150/

Update 0.1.4
    Greetings Cutters,

We are back this week with an update full of additional employee-suggested content!

For this update, we focused on bringing more variety to the current gameplay so that every shift at Lynx Corp feels like a real challenge! Thank you all for the precious feedback and suggestions you have shared with us since launch. Players will be happy to learn that Mackerels are now set up to introduce more diversity between roles:

Heavy Cargo Mackerels now have a unique interior layout, with more room for carrying extremely dangerous cargo.
    Light Cargo Mackerels have now been set up to transport a mix of objects.
    All Mackerels have had their Reactor, Power Cell and Coolant Tank setups revisited, so you will see much greater variation in where these components are located.
    Additionally in-game mouse and keyboard rebinding is now also available.

This is only the first step towards more content as the Lynx Corp HR team are already working on adding more variety within each ship but also bringing new types of ships to the table!

Major Changes & Additions
    O2 Drain can be toggled in Open Shift mode
    For our Space Cutters eager to fight their limits without being pressured by time, feel free to try to dismantle everything while your oxygen is running out!

Increased variety between Mackerel roles.

Increased Work Order Objective Variety.
    In order to pinpoint which space cutters are real talents for Lynx Corp, variety has been added to work order objectives! Get ready for different work orders from now on during your shifts.

Additional Player Voice Option Added to Contract.

In-game Mouse & Keyboard Rebinding.
    Gamefile keybinding is now a forgotten feverish dream as cutters can now rebind directly in-game.

Detailed fixes are at the link above.

I like the new layouts I've seen so far.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. Neat. Did an Industrial Mackerel. There were no interior walls, the whole space was open to the exterior hull and there was cargo lashed in the spaces. There was a huge communication satellite locked down right inside the airlock and I couldn't get in. I had to hit the depressurize button while still in the airlock, then go outside and cut free that top hatch to get inside. There was also a big wrench floating around and I could send it to the barge.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

They've definitely fixed a bunch of small issues I have encountered where objects would be touching/merged with each other. Example, the pipes being fused to bulkheads on transport geckos. Now you can melt one block and the pipes are all draggable.

Now if I could just find a way to pop the whole back off a cargo gecko they way you can with the transport version.

MuddBudd wrote: »
    They've definitely fixed a bunch of small issues I have encountered where objects would be touching/merged with each other. Example, the pipes being fused to bulkheads on transport geckos. Now you can melt one block and the pipes are all draggable.

Now if I could just find a way to pop the whole back off a cargo gecko they way you can with the transport version.

I've been able to do this a few times, depending on the configuration - airlocks or heatsinks were usually what was blocking it.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just had two power cells completely wig out when trying to pull them, so be careful. Just totally shooting around wildly.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited July 2020
    Oh, something else they have fixed. ECU shutdown increases the stability/durability of the class II reactor core.

Before, the reactor would start at 5 red pips if both the ECU and fuel were on. Then when fuel was shut down safely, gain 5 gold pips. But regardless of if you shut down the ECU or just pulled the reactor while still cooled, it never got the final 5 pips.

Now, if you shut down the ECU properly by pulling the cryo pods, the reactor goes up to the full 15 pips. This means not only more time to pull it safely, but less arcing reactor energy, which shreds anything nearby.

So now I am able to prepare to pull it safely and get it into the barge before it does any damage to anything around it. Which is nice because pulling it while the coolant is active pretty much guaranteed a big coolant leak mess. Granted, if you strip anything of value from the area beforehand, it doesn't really matter, but still.

MuddBudd on
    Well TIL you can shut down the ECU

JayKaos wrote: »
    Well TIL you can shut down the ECU

Don't worry, we all learned that way.

You pull the front panel off and inside are three small cryo pods. You pull those off (carefully) and pick them up, and that shuts down the coolant flow.

I'd actually seen those before, but only after pulling off the reactor - at some point I was like 2KG away from a 'salvage coolant' work order and pulling those out pushed me over the limit. Just tried using those to shut down the reactor and man it is a lot easier to remove that when you're not also dealing with coolant leaks all over the place.

Today I learned that sometimes when you pull a rudder off the back of a gecko, there might still be a structural bar behind it that keeps the back sections stuck together until you melt it.

I just found a Mackerel where the reactor was in the crawlspace next to the cockpit, and the normal reactor room had undrainable fuel pipes in it. (maybe they were tied to the console there?)

Crazy.

edited July 2020
    Preview of the new Gecko variant!

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1161580/view/2755592354140643610

l3Ha7Dc.jpg?1
    Stargazer, a model for the boldest Cutters out there!

This new Gecko-class ship type was originally used for deep space research and surveying. Employees will be thrilled to work hard on our first science ship!

Be on the lookout for data logs of former scientists who dedicated their life to long-term research trips in the deep, uncivilized parts of the Solar System. We advise our employees to be aware that listening to these logs may induce states of nostalgia and/or melancholia, which can affect work performance.

Be mindful of objects found in these Stargazers, as some are more dangerous than usual. We advise all workers to be careful when handling highly explosive hydroponic research pods or huge solar arrays.

MuddBudd on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    "Highly explosive hydroponic research pods"?
    I think someone is working with a very different definition of hydroponics than I'm used to.

see317 wrote: »
    "Highly explosive hydroponic research pods"?
    I think someone is working with a very different definition of hydroponics than I'm used to.

Maybe they are trying to develop plants with extreme oxygen generation traits.

edited August 2020
    Update 0.1.5 is live

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1161580?emclan=103582791466383967&emgid=2758970778644937392

Highlights:
    • “Stargazer” Gecko-class Research Vessel ship-type added
    • Structural Cutpoints are now sometimes covered by Cut Guards Made of heat-resistant foam; Cut Guards protect against heat, but not impacts
    • Gamepad Rebinding added
    • Ship lighting updated with Volumetric and HDR properties
    • Traditional Chinese added to language options

Full Patch Notes:
    Greetings Cutters,

We are back this week with an important update bringing to you the new Science Gecko, Traditional Chinese localization as well as Configurable Gamepad binding. Cutters will also be happy to know that their helmet has been scrubbed so well by our LYNX Chief Visibility Officer that they will be able to enjoy brand new volumetric light inside ships.

Expert Cutters will be quick to notice new structural protectors appearing on ships. Of the many rigors placed on a ship as it travels through space, extreme temperature fluctuations and good old wear n’ tear are considerable challenges for any vessel’s key structural elements. To help keep a ship in one piece, sometimes structural Cut Points are outfitted with a Cut Guard. This condensed foam compound keeps a Cut Point’s temperature and humidity level consistent and manageable.

⚠️ LYNX advises Cutters to use caution, as Cut Guards are resistant to the heat of the Laser Cutter. However, they are highly combustible, and will burn for a considerable amount of time if ignited. The recommended salvage process is to break apart the Cut Guard with a heavy impact in order to expose the Cut Point underneath.
    • “Stargazer” Gecko-class Research ship-type added
    • Gamepad Control Customization added to the Customize Controls screen
    • Cut Guards added; can appear overtop of Cut Points, especially in harder difficulties
    • Traditional Chinese Language option added
    • In-ship lighting updated to use Volumetric and HDR color properties
    • Added confirmation sfx when successfully rebinding a key
    • Added voice limiting to data drive beeps to avoid overlapping beeps when playing a new data drive
    • Controls can now be set to “None” in the Customize Controls screen
    • Audio Player moved to its own floating window in the Hab Screen
    • Progress Bar added to Audio Player in the Hab Screen and the HUD
    • The Laser Cutter now visibly begins to overheat
    • Improved the behaviour of the profile cards on the profile selection screen
    • “Back” button prompt added to Kiosk
    • Added scroll over sfx to Continue Shift and Ship Selection buttons
    • Adding new suit bump sfx
    • Added physics collision sfx when player hits shipping containers in pressurized space
    • Reinforcement Beams in the Mackerel have had their textures updated
    • BUG: Fixed the incorrect “Select” prompt in the Pause Menu Customize Controls screen
    • BUG: Fixed a heat sink that could spawn clipping into a cut point in the Industrial Cargo Gecko
    • BUG: Removed the door sfx when shifts end via time running out
    • BUG: Fix for reactor immediately exploding upon entering meltdown state.
    • BUG: Fixed an issue where doors could be cut several times and have the cut segments salvaged
    • BUG: Fixed an issue where electrical explosions would shatter panels
    • BUG: Fixed an issue where Mackerel’s could spawn with multiple lights in the same position
    • BUG: Various fixes to button prompts not updating correctly based on input-type
    • BUG: Fixed an issue where the tutorial “Tether” prompt wouldn’t appear after quitting and resuming
    • BUG: Ship “role” now properly displayed on the available ships in the catalog
    • BUG: Fixed a bug where some work order objectives would fail if the object required was part of another objective
    • BUG: Fix for Options Headers not updating correctly when changing languages
    • BUG: Fixed audible click when clicking the button to repair equipment
    • BUG: Removed extra click when changing options with mouse
    • BUG: Corrected some issues of Gecko hallways bins showing up as “Object”
    • BUG: Fixed the beams in the first tutorial ship to fall in line with updated Mackerel. This corrects errors of missing cut points and beams.
    • BUG: Tutorial ships now has a proper role and shouldn't just give the default 'unassigned role' notice
    • BUG: Fixed being able to open the homepage while on the incorrect screens in the front end
    • BUG: Fixed overlapping characters in the Daily Fees Screen

Undocumented changes that I have personally noticed:
    - Melting the purple cube on the back of Type II Thrusters is no longer a workaround to buying a key for the reactor console. Unsure if its a 100%, but it now at least has some % of a chance to set off the fuel pipes. If you are lucky it won't set off the reactor too. Buy the key.
    - I used to melt the connector between the Reactor plate and pipes to remove pipes. Do not do this before removing the reactor. It ends badly. The whole reactor seems much more sensitive to messing with the reactor plates.
    - The data banks in the Stargazer Gecko are quite valuable. They also have a chance to arc off electricity like computers, which can set off nearby science equipment.
    - The solar panels on the outside of Stargazers can be cut, be careful when cutting to remove them.

MuddBudd on
    How do you hit stuff to break it? Is there a hammer?

Also, tanks of fuel and coolant are still just as fidgety as before. Remove with caution.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

there's wrenches floating around now

ikbUJdU.jpg

grab a small thing. Trash, a chunk of debris, whatever, use the grappler to launch it.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm a fan of the cut guards. Or at least they shouldn't have gone in the game before they did a precision pass on the grapple mechanics.

I want a wrench I can carry around to and hit stuff with! Maybe use it to loosen small things too.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I want a wrench I can carry around to and hit stuff with! Maybe use it to loosen small things too.

A wrench would be nice for these damn ceramic cutpoint covers which just started showing up... having to gravity gun them off with some piece of debris is basically impossible in close quarters

Also I just unlocked Geckos and uhhhhh yeah I feel like there should be an intermediate step between them and Mackerels because god damn now I gotta worry about coolant and fuel lines and shit

I have not yet figured out how to safely remove a reactor from one! Heck I can't even figure out how to properly expose it! I took like two shifts to get one to start melting down and then I immediately fled once I tried to pull it out and kept getting zapped by electricity over and over

I've not fully understood the utility of the splitsaw yet either, I think. Sometimes there are full wall panels between me and a crawspace I wanna get into, or on the Gecko there are whole floor panels, but I can't figure out how to cut through them cleanly and quickly

Let alone the whole superstructure of the Gecko, which is just a pain in the ass and gets in the way constantly when I'm trying to pull that damn reactor out

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    On a Gecko, i'd shell the entire ship before attempting anything.

After that, drain the fuel with a key and cut the point where those pipes attach to the reactor. Go pull all the fuses. And then cut away everything holding the reactor in place before going and pulling the coolant.

75% of the time it works every time! The other 25% i accidentally ignite a fuel tank, rupture a coolant tank or electrocute myself :o

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    yeah, last night I was trying to partition out the ECU and reactor so I could position it better but I nicked the coolant line and uh, well.

ikbUJdU.jpg
    son of a bitch, this damn reactor gave me 2 seconds before it blew, full squares all the way. that's some bullshit

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Mysst wrote: »
    son of a bitch, this damn reactor gave me 2 seconds before it blew, full squares all the way. that's some bullshit

I had one earlier today that did the same thing. Feels like a bug.

Mysst wrote: »

So, reactors are extra finicky right now for some reason. I THINK, although I am not sure, that its the fuel lines. When you melt a chunk of fuel pipe now, even when its drained, a small bit of fire burns on the end for a bit. I don't remember this happening before.

Before this update, I would neatly remove the fuel line from the reactor caps just to get it out of the way. Now if I try to do that, it immediately blows, presumably because of the fire effect? I also have to assume that when the reactor starts kicking off, the electrification of the reactor caps sets off any connected fuel pipe.

As a result, I have yet to safely extract a Type 2 Reactor since the patch. Although I have also mostly been playing with stargazers, haven't tried other Geckos.

I did a Station Hopper Gecko this afternoon, and the reactor blew about 5 seconds after I pulled the last coolant thing out of the ECU. Stuff is screwy, I think I'm going to put this to the side until the next patch.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

After that, drain the fuel with a key and cut the point where those pipes attach to the reactor. Go pull all the fuses. And then cut away everything holding the reactor in place before going and pulling the coolant.

75% of the time it works every time! The other 25% i accidentally ignite a fuel tank, rupture a coolant tank or electrocute myself :o

To safely pull a fuse, watch the lights when you are at the panel, and release the fuse only when all lights are OFF, unless you like becoming an impromptu circuit breaker.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

To safely pull a fuse, watch the lights when you are at the panel, and release the fuse only when all lights are OFF, unless you like becoming an impromptu circuit breaker.

Even knowing this, i'll go pull an electrical component before doing the fuses and wonder why i'm being shocked

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    who the fuck put this here
    vwl116iop8f5.png

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    Yeah, doing Mackerels again has been some what interesting with all the new configurations. Finding hatches in the back portion of a ship that gave me access to the crawlspace or the ship not having interior walls so that the cut points were available from inside has been different at least.