As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New [Fashion] thread. Quite stylish.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So I’ve been thinking about switching up my shampoo and conditioner soon as I’ve been using Pantene for nearly two decades at this point

I’ve got a little more disposable income than usual and my hair is much longer than it’s ever been, so seems like a good time to see what else is out there.

Any recommendations? Or is what I already use sufficient?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It’s gonna depend so much on your hair type, there’s definitely no one size fits all. I have very coarse dry curly hair, and for me Pantene is a nightmare. Also cheaper, harsher shampoos will strip your hair of nutrients and oils and make your scalp work overtime to produce more, which makes your hair feel oily, which makes you wash more ... changing your washing routine can make as big a difference as changing shampoos, if not more.

Would you say your hair is thick or fine? Dry or oily? Smooth or frizzy? Straight or curly?

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    It’s definitely straight, though it is starting to curl upwards at the back now that it’s getting closer to my shoulders

As for the others— I’m not sure? I don’t have a good frame of reference. I took these just a moment ago:
    38ban5wrr9h3.jpeg
    ui7qst51q1fj.jpeg
    veh7fud0ahwb.jpeg

I did ween myself off of daily shampooing a couple years back, after reading up on it a bunch. I currently shampoo once a week and condition every day

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hello fashion thread

I am embracing my ~Beach Goth~ aesthetic
    4fco1kvjrl7i.jpg
    orzhg7qorfc2.jpg

I need all the recommendations you got

CYpGAPn.png
    Jimothy wrote: »
    It’s definitely straight, though it is starting to curl upwards at the back now that it’s getting closer to my shoulders

As for the others— I’m not sure? I don’t have a good frame of reference. I took these just a moment ago:
    38ban5wrr9h3.jpeg
    ui7qst51q1fj.jpeg
    veh7fud0ahwb.jpeg

I did ween myself off of daily shampooing a couple years back, after reading up on it a bunch. I currently shampoo once a week and condition every day
    Well that is definitely not my kinda hair so unfortunately I have no advice for you !
    Uh... @Grey Ghost maybe?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I don't have recommendations as I have no fashion sense, but +1 for that gamma world game in the background. You are obviously a person with discerning taste.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I haven't used shampoo in months, so.... afraid I'm not much help

Well there’s your answer then. Save on cash.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I haven't had dandruff since I was a greasy teen, but I still use Head and Shoulders. Because, like, what if it comes back?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I too need to figure out my hair now that it’s been almost 5 months since a haircut

It’s thin and gets a bit curly in humidity when there’s no product in it
    And the ends get tangled

I have no idea

Condition it better maybe

poo
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Snarky response is probably "Get Suave 2-in-1, you'll be fine."

But it works for me, so...

sig.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    When I was a youngster I had a hairdresser explain to me that shampoo is for cleaning all the dirt, sweat, and oils off your hair. It's a kind of soap, and it strips away all the grime. Conditioner is functionally the opposite, its function is to put moisturising oils back into your hair. Thus, combining the two is a silly idea at a fundamental level. You can't clean "dirty" oils off your hair whilst you're trying to soak other "clean" oils into it, and vice-versa.

Now, I'm a fucking idiot and I don;t know a damn thing about hair or hair products, but I do know that when I grew mine out long if I tried to use the two-in-one stuff I bought cheap it never worked very well, my roots were always greasy and the ends were always dry and crunchy. I remembered what that lady had told me as a kid and spent a bit more money on some separate shampoo and conditioner, and my hair was instantly much much cleaner and healthier.

Of course now I've gone back to buzzing my hair short I don't even use shampoo or conditioner, the hair's 1/8" to 1/4" long, I just wash my whole head with bodywash and don't give a shit.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Sébastien's line has always worked pretty well for me, and virtually any other shampoo/conditioner combo tends to leave my hair kind of lank and sad, but it looks like your hair is more coarse than mine so, your mileage may vary

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm gonna put this in the fashion thread because it has some clothes and accessories but has anybody used Bespoke Post?

It's one of those monthly subscription boxes "for the modern man" which sounds pretty buzzwordy but I looked at it and it actually seems to have some cool stuff. Its $45 USD a box with most of the stuff in it averaging $70, if you don't like what they picked you can swap it or skip it all together and not pay for it.

Like this month the theme is "aged" and it comes with a liquor aging kit with those smoked oak sticks, and two really cool rocks glasses, but I could swap that for a pair of navy blue espadrilles shoes which look very nice.

It seems pretty low stakes but I figured I'd ask here to see if anybody had any experience with it.

I used it many years ago and there was some cool stuff in it but then I ended up with more stuff than I needed or should’ve had

So

Be careful I guess

poo
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    "for the modern man"

but you a throwback boar killin lumberjack

what you need modern man stuff for? pine resin and grubs is what you wantin'

Look just because I'm a lorax ass squatchy motherfucker doesn't mean I don't want to feel pretty some times

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I prefer bandanas over masks but I'm having a hard time finding some fun designs, especially from local artists.

Any suggestions?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Was just reminded that Prince is dead and got sad

2020 could have used this energy

6lbi3bb66kao.jpeg

Oh no my fav ppl are dropping more clothes soon and I want them all

But sadly I’ve bought all these clothes that
    No one has seen because I haven’t been anywhere and mostly just wear a t shirt and shorts at home (and sweats back when it was cold)

poo
    I think I I'm gonna need to get my beard trimmed way, way back. It's been so long since I've had a trim I think I've hit that point were its started to get split ends and damage and stuff and is starting to thin out from not being properly maintained.

Also I'm kind of tired of having to fold my beard back over my shoulder to eat food.

Need to find a good beard style.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    31esah3e2ag7.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Ah yes, the classic "disappointed Puritain"

Real talk I kinda wanna go full Friendly Muttonchops because nothing matters anymore

Wait hold on does he have a fucking doctor Seuss ass neck beard ruff? Is that what I'm seeing?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I swear to god, late life John C Calhoun is the inspiration for Sam the Eagle. Just with way less racism.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited July 2020
    How do you even grow that much hair that far down, and around your neck?

What kind of a god would give you that much barren forehead while also giving you such strong neck hair genetics?

Juggernut on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Now there's a denial beard.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    this is my friend's dad

he's a total weirdo and an excellent person, and when he laughs he sounds like chipmunk santa clause

but this isn't about that

this is about his completely unironic fashion sense which has transcended Bad to have reached Incredible

auyhn273wu5n.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    31esah3e2ag7.png

This... this can't be, can it? I'm trying to rationalize it being like, an ostrich feather cravat or some shit, because...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    oh it is

let me tell you the tale of absolute legend Horace Greeley

w2icVhp.jpg?1

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Hey uh Huckberry is having a big sale, if you're into their brand/theme of goods

I very much am into most of it, but the things I want are out of my budget

Vans is also having a big sale, and I need shoes

Could y'all check these out, and offer some suggestions for a vaguely slacker preppy I'm out of fucks to give business casual guy who still tries to dress somewhat nicely?

https://www.vans.com/shop/c-l-era-59-frost-gray-acid-denim

https://www.vans.com/shop/suede-era-tc-rainy-day-true-white

https://www.vans.com/shop/c-l-era-59-dress-blues-acid-denim

I'm leaning towards the blue ones.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think the blue ones fit that vibe the best, yeah.

oh it is

let me tell you the tale of absolute legend Horace Greeley

w2icVhp.jpg?1

We’ve found it - the exact opposite of the bloatee

I bought

A lot of clothes

poo
    edited July 2020
    Oh damn my espadrilles got here quick

And they are way too small lol

Juggernut on
    Hey uh Huckberry is having a big sale, if you're into their brand/theme of goods

I very much am into most of it, but the things I want are out of my budget

Vans is also having a big sale, and I need shoes

Could y'all check these out, and offer some suggestions for a vaguely slacker preppy I'm out of fucks to give business casual guy who still tries to dress somewhat nicely?

https://www.vans.com/shop/c-l-era-59-frost-gray-acid-denim

https://www.vans.com/shop/suede-era-tc-rainy-day-true-white

https://www.vans.com/shop/c-l-era-59-dress-blues-acid-denim

I'm leaning towards the blue ones.

sk8-hi or I riot.

But seriously, without the stripe or any other vans branding just get some sperry's since you're already going for preppy.

That said, I like the blue ones but the grey pair will probably go with more things.

edited July 2020
    Vans seem to have better quality than Sperry's and usually cost half as much

I might go with the grey ones, for matching complementing reasons

I currently have a pair of grey adidas which are very similar to vans, and wanted to branch out a bit, but these are too worn out to keep in the rotation

DouglasDanger on
    These last way longer than the similarly designed vans:

https://www.sperry.com/en/halyard-cvo-salt-washed-laceless-sneaker/19793M.html?dwvar_19793M_color=0772905#cgid=outlet-men-shoes&start=1

And you can usually find some colorway that is on sale for 30-40, this was just want I found first.

Yeah, sperry's catches deserved flack for overpriced shitty dock shoes but they are a legit company that makes good boat shoes, most of which are on the sneaker and athletic side of their business.