As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The hearing test is odd as I should be deaf among other things as I blew out an ear drum and was in the Corps yet I can hear even the slight buzz at the end with the 20k
    I wonder why

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Which is why he executed all those animals, including Topsy the elephant, using alternating current. To prove that his own direct current was the safer alternative.

Both the ASCPA and various electric safety practices came out of his public demonstrations of how dangerous AC was

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Pfffft I could hear all the way to the end of both but I guess that makes sense because my actual goddamned degree is in playing a trumpet as high and as loud as possible

I pity the people who sat in front of me in various music groups I was in though, those people are all megadef now

They gave me a degree for parting people’s hair with the laser beam of sound coming out of my bell end

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Your bell end? Please put the pants back on

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    Check your hearing!

(I tap out around 15000, I am getting old)
    (Also now my ears feel weird)

Whoops wrong tweet

13,600 or so for my left ear and around 13,900 for my left ear.

Edit: and I'm 49

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Skeith wrote: »
    Try this instead. There might be some compression on the video in the tweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-iCZElJ8m0

On this one, I started hearing a deep, deeply unsettling runble at 27 Hz, and it crapped out right before 12,000 Hz.

Still, pretty good for an Infantryman who forgot his ear plugs on a couple of rifle ranges. And listened to Iron Maiden a lot.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh wow that youtube one is way worse.

Everthing around 4khz to 5lhz was very uncomfortable and it all kinda started to fade away into static between 7 and 9khz and at around 10khz became totally inaudible.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Check your hearing!

(I tap out around 15000, I am getting old)
    (Also now my ears feel weird)

Whoops wrong tweet

I can detect that sound is occurring all the way through, and that's with my volume on 15%, but I stop hearing sound around 17500

also I'm 34

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Made it to 13000 on my laptop speakers. The silver lining to detesting nightclubs and only having seen a handful of live music gigs.

Butler on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    damn it why can I only go up to 10k I haven't done anything to my ears but listen to music a little bit loud once in a while... I guess that's all it takes sometimes, bleh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Does it abruptly cut out or does it just get quieter

For me it gradually fades out. I gotta try on something that isn’t my iPad though, and maybe with the vid instead of the tweet.

I’m experiencing the same thing: watching on an iPad it gradually fades out at 15k or so

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    For that tweet, my left ear caps out around 12.5k and my right ear stops at 15k. 31 years old.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Huh I guess my hearing is pretty normal for an old geezer huh (15~16k)
    I wonder why I have so much difficulties hearing people talking to me throughout my life though

the loudest sound known to mankind on recorder 0:25
    https://youtu.be/Wnw2g1B03Pw

Peas on
    Noticing and hearing people talking to you is also a matter of auditory processing in your brain, the automatic subconscious process of recognizing that it's speech directed at you you need to pay attention to or filtering it out as unimportant background noise. I'm awful at that even setting aside my apparently lost high frequency detector hairs.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Oh yeah, that's way different. All the way to 20k with no issues.

With my DAC and headphones, I get to ~16kHz in my left ear and ~16.5kHz in the right before it fades out completely.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Back home on my laptop I get to just about 16kHz. But honestly, given the nightclubs and concerts I went to in my teens and twenties, I’ll take it. Could be worse.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I...think I got to 14k with nice headphones on?

At a certain point it blends with the tinnitus.

Turns out a decade of going to metal shows with no ear protection has some downsides, who knew??????

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I lost it just before it hit 17kHz.

I have never been to a nightclub or a concert, but I have put on fart compilations at full volume quite a few times.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I thought I heard it up to about 15k but then I took the headphones off and I could still hear it so who knows

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I thought I heard it up to about 15k but then I took the headphones off and I could still hear it so who knows

That'd be tinnitus!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Pardon?

About 2:45.

Thanks, I've already eaten

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am somewhat relieved that apparently I had a comfortable and boring youth and can still hear in and around 14000

I'm gonna try it again tomorrow with my headphones instead of my desk speakers, I'm very annoyed by the idea I might be the most hearing damaged person in here and I've never even gone to any clubs or shipyards or anything.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got to somewhere between 12 and 13k and I've seen motorhead live

my grandpa worked in a shipyard for a few years in the 1930s or 1940s and it supposedly obliterated his upper frequency range from the constant hammering and clanging of metal

BahamutZERO.gif
    Who even needs to hear those frequencies anyway? What am I, a bat?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

When I was making commercial robots we’d sometimes get people coming up to us at trade shows and asking if they were supposed to be making a whining noise. None of us knew what the fuck they were talking about until our 23 year old design engineer got his desk moved next to one of them and started complaining about a high pitcher buzz, turns out one of the motors had a 19kHz whine that he was the only one in the company to be able to hear.

After that we made him stand in front of all the robots for five minutes before declaring them good to ship.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna try it again tomorrow with my headphones instead of my desk speakers, I'm very annoyed by the idea I might be the most hearing damaged person in here and I've never even gone to any clubs or shipyards or anything.

Constant moderate volume does exponentially more long-term damage to your hearing than short bursts of loud sound.

When I was making commercial robots we’d sometimes get people coming up to us at trade shows and asking if they were supposed to be making a whining noise. None of us knew what the fuck they were talking about until our 23 year old design engineer got his desk moved next to one of them and started complaining about a high pitcher buzz, turns out one of the motors had a 19kHz whine that he was the only one in the company to be able to hear.

After that we made him stand in front of all the robots for five minutes before declaring them good to ship.

See, having good hearing sounds like a nightmare, you're exposed to all the most annoying noises.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQe8waGJ4w&feature=youtu.be

If you make an infinitely sized chess board, and number the squares starting at 1, and spiralling out from there

And you put a chess knight on square 1, and say it can move in any direction but make the rule that it has to move to the lowest possible number square, and it can't go the same square more than once, then it will 1) make a really pretty looking pattern and 2) get stuck on square 2084, after 2016 steps.

I find this to be inexplicably pleasing

Solar on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

That'd be tinnitus!

meep mawp

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Never been to a concert in my life, hate loud noises in general, only been to clubs and bars a handful of times, but I still lost it right at 13k. Maybe on something other then my phone I could hear better, but my wife could hear all the way up to 15k so I don't think it is just the speakers. Not too bad for 34 though. Plus my eye sight is fucking amazing so I will take it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't need a hearing test to tell me I've got bad tinnitus. :(

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hm.
    Hearing pseudo-tests: about 12.5kHz for the one Tynic posted, 11.7 from Skeith's.

I think I'm in the moderately normal range for my age group.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My hearing is fucked by nightclubs

Probably my brain too

Solar on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The fuck is a nightclub? I never understood what the hell people do at those.

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.