As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    The fuck is a nightclub? I never understood what the hell people do at those.

drugs, generally.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am told you drink alcohol, listen to loud music and dance

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

hell on earth

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Two of these things are boring though

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

All those things are great actually

And I'm hoping I get to actually do em again at some point...

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I take it back. One of those things is great, another is ok, and dancing is for people I just don't understand.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    seems my headphones don't even make it up past 7 kHz, so I guess my desktop speakers have superior range, and I may also have serious hearing damage :(

It occurs to me now I've had some sort of tinnitus since I was a kid, which I for some reason these test videos make me become consciously aware of in a way I usually never am except in extremely quiet spaces.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I understand dancing

I don't like it or approve it but I understand it

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hard to judge without the pictures showing the ground. Could be way more tame than the pictures show. You could probably get similar shots from skilifts all over the place at the same point in time.

If they are higher than 20 feet above the hard unforgiving planet earth then I say again, man, fuck that

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I am actually not okay being in a sitting position with no safety devices even 10 feet up in the air.

You do not need to fall very far to become badly injured if you land badly, and it's very likely that when falling from a sitting position you'd land on either your back or your head.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    They've got belts.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a pretty standard old style of ski lift. It's absolutely ridiculous that it's a pretty standard ski lift because it seems wildly unsafe, but a lot of places still have them running.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    I remember the least time I fell ten feet it was absolutely horrible I tried to do the paratrooper tuck and roll and I'm pretty sure I crushed my diaphram with my knees something terrible happened anyway

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Shit man, people die falling off of horses without even being at a gallop. Fuck heights! I told my dad when he was trying to get me to ride the Zipper at the fairgrounds in Cheyenne during Frontier Days, "i'm not getting in a metal cage assembled by a carny and spinning fifty feet in the air, i'll ride the sizzler and risk only being flung into the crowd like a skipped stone, thank you."

Every time a human being ascends even a ladder they are spitting in the face of death.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    u6h1tjgnlmv1.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQe8waGJ4w&feature=youtu.be

If you make an infinitely sized chess board, and number the squares starting at 1, and spiralling out from there

And you put a chess knight on square 1, and say it can move in any direction but make the rule that it has to move to the lowest possible number square, and it can't go the same square more than once, then it will 1) make a really pretty looking pattern and 2) get stuck on square 2084, after 2016 steps.

I find this to be inexplicably pleasing

Explained by a dude wearing a Hendrix shirt, checks out

I just read, after a joke my stepmom made about my dad's new boat got me curious, about the furthest inland a bull shark has ever been recorded, and apparently it was along a stretch of the Mississippi near Alton, Illinois, 1750 miles north of the gulf of Mexico.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bull sharks are terrifyingly robust

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Local Shark Too Angry To Die

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    <John Allison's ladder poster>

I want to buy and frame a copy of that when I have a workshop space

aTBDrQE.jpg
    tynic wrote: »
    Bull sharks are terrifyingly robust

bullish even

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I just read, after a joke my stepmom made about my dad's new boat got me curious, about the furthest inland a bull shark has ever been recorded, and apparently it was along a stretch of the Mississippi near Alton, Illinois, 1750 miles north of the gulf of Mexico.

One of the two well known species that swim upstream to get rid of saltwater parasites, yep.

The other is the great white, which has been observed swimming upstream and hanging out in Lake Nicaragua. A third species, the Lake Nicaragua Shark, is actually native to the waters.

Who wants to go for a swim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nTUjAeFas

edit: The thread will probably get closed before I get off of work, if you're feeling like making a new one, please include a link to this one and the previous one (if you can find it).

I feel like we talk about some really interesting stuff and the starbursting commentary is a thing of legend, even in The Singularity Engine.

Darth Waiter on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

One of the two well known species that swim upstream to get rid of saltwater parasites, yep.

The other is the great white, which has been observed swimming upstream and hanging out in Lake Nicaragua. A third species, the Lake Nicaragua Shark, is actually native to the waters.

Who wants to go for a swim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nTUjAeFas

If I cannot see what's in the water I do not want to be in the water.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    glass shark, glass shark

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Should we start a new thread with the fuckstyles of sharks, just to keep it completely on brand?

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Man most people don't even know what a clasper is and how it works

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Drink and dance.

It is very okay not to understand why some people like to do some things.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Drink and dance.

Awkwardly also where you get to see aggressively people try to hook up in bizarre yet sad ways

It is generally considered polite to do any up-hooking away from the venue, but some people are not very polite.

Listen sometimes you see people fucking in the bathroom and you all just politely ignore each other, it's fine.

Ugh, quelle horreur

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Today's (27 July) Google doodle celebrates Jeanne Benet

Ymk8NT4.png

She is generally recognised as the first woman to circumnavigate the globe, a feat only accomplished because she spent the early part of the journey passing herself off as a man.

An accomplished botanist herself, she served as personal valet to the naturalist on the French captain de Bougainville's exploration voyage around the world, where she did much of the manual labour and gathering of samples for the expedition, when not physically lifting the naturalist himself (who had a bad leg).

Sadly much of her story was forgotten for over a century, as her journey began and ended somewhat unofficially and was slightly embarrasing to the establishment of the time.

However, her tale has been uncovered and achievements highlighted thanks in part to her first biography being published about 20 years ago.

Which I would like to doubly highlight, because the historian who wrote that biography - one of the world's most knowledgable experts on the exploration of the Pacific, and probably the leading expert on French exploration in particular - is my wife's grandfather, a charming old professor who also once published a tongue-in-cheek book of explorer's recipes for albertross and ship's rat as prepared by the wife of Captain Cook and I know is quietly satisfied for helping to raise the profile and knowledge of Jeanne Benet and her achievements into the public discourse.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    3clipse wrote: »
    Listen sometimes you see people fucking in the bathroom and you all just politely ignore each other, it's fine.

It is an imposition, of this there is little doubt.

I came in here because I had to pee, I don’t like peeing next to naked people. I learned that in Jr. High in swim class, and no amount of exposure will cure me of this deficiency!

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    That's what the alcohol is for though

Platy wrote: »
    That's what the alcohol is for though

Doesn’t help!

Having a kiss and a close dance on the ol dance floor is fine, but you know. Be cool. Show a tiny amount of decorum.

Also the nightclub toilets are not a classy place. Not that it has always stopped everyone, you know.

This discussion has been closed.