As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seeking apartment sofa suggestion

KleinKlein Registered User regular
edited July 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
I am looking to buy a sofa for my apartment, but the advice I have read has ranged from setting up some cardboard boxes and calling it good to buying a $3000, 5-seat sectional. Does anyone have suggestions decent sofa brands and models? Being in an apartment, I may move in a year or two and I know that can be rough on furniture. I am trying to balance buying something that won't fall apart quickly and is of decent quality but not overly expensive. Used furniture is a no-go.

I've been looking at Room and Board's Metro, I saw it and it looks and feels nice, but it's slightly more than I want to spend on something that could be damaged via moving soon. I guess I am looking closer to $1000 than $2000, but I will spend more if the quality and durability are worth it.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/sofas-and-loveseats/metro-sofas

Klein on

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    One thing to remember: what floor do you live on, and how hard would it be to wrestle said sofa up to your apartment- and when you move, how hard would it be to get said couch out and down to your moving van?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    One thing to remember: what floor do you live on, and how hard would it be to wrestle said sofa up to your apartment- and when you move, how hard would it be to get said couch out and down to your moving van?

Good to note, I have a first floor apartment that exits to the outs, is easily accessible. I can't say what my future living accommodations will be.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Do you live near an Ikea?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I do, but I have not heard good things about their sofas.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    This is a tough problem to give advice on.
    I mean, you want something on the lower cost range for a large piece of furniture, but something that will hold up.
    You live in an apartment that you may be moving out of fairly quickly, so light weight and movable are also requirements.

I would suggest the LoveSac sectional couches. The reviews I've read has them being sturdy and comfortable, and the sectional nature means they're designed to be broken down and rearranged so they should be easy to move.
    But, they're also pricey, with a normal 3-seater couch running near 3 grand.

The Ikea brand sectional couches are similar in appearance and flexibility, so they should be easy to build and move once you take them apart, and the costs is substantially lower.
    But, the reviews (even on Ikea's website) are that they don't last long.

You might go check out some local furniture stores in your area, see what they have available that'll match your criteria.

I would suggest Mission style furniture, they tend to be lighter weight than normal couches, so easier to move. They don't have cloth coverings over most of the piece so it's not going to tear (though damage to wood may be a concern) Replacing the cushions should be easy enough from any furniture store if they do get torn or just wear out. And being made with a lot of exposed wood means your less likely to get a couch that's been stapled together from a million random scraps and then covered with cloth. Granted, it may be pieced out of a million scraps and then veneered, but...
    I know my brother has had a mission style couch and chair that have held up for more than a decade through at least a half dozen moves. Unfortunately, I don't know the brand on it though.

I did find this on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019HWRRNY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySDI2N1RRUE1EQ1I1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDA1MzUzMVcyVEhXVzBPRE5ENyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDEwMTE4MzQ2ODFIMlZRQVRKTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbDImYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Which looks to fit in your price range, says it's made of solid wood. With the futon mattress if you ever want to change the look of the couch (or if you don't like the mattress) it's straight forward. I don't have experience with the brand though, so buyer beware.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Klein wrote: »

I've had the soderham for ~ 3 years now. Mine is holding up fine.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/soederhamn-sectional-3-seat-corner-viarp-beige-brown-s59305891/

You can go in and try it, and the ones you try in store will have been pre-abused by the thousand people a day that tried them earlier. If you do go this route, the corner pieces come with arm rests and arm pillows and are cheaper than the "middle" sections. You should only buy the corner pieces!

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    They're expensive, but as an apartment dweller Lovesac's sactionals are going to be hard to beat for convenience and ease of moving. From my experience, in store is generally cheaper than online. I bought a 4 seat 5 back arragement and I think I paid around $2200 at the time.

Artereis on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I like Lay z boy furniture personally. They have fabric recliner couches that are under 1k.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Klein wrote: »

I've had the soderham for ~ 3 years now. Mine is holding up fine.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/soederhamn-sectional-3-seat-corner-viarp-beige-brown-s59305891/

You can go in and try it, and the ones you try in store will have been pre-abused by the thousand people a day that tried them earlier. If you do go this route, the corner pieces come with arm rests and arm pillows and are cheaper than the "middle" sections. You should only buy the corner pieces!

We've had an Ikea Klippan loveseat for about 15 years and it's held up amazingly well, though we're on our third cover I think. Granted it only spent about the first 5 years as our primary sofa, but for about $300 it's a purchase I'd definitely make again if I had to.

Daenris on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I have an IKEA Kivik. I've had it for about 5 years, and it's holding up well despite the fact that I frequently sleep in it during the summers (because my livingroom is colder than my bedroom).
    Still on my first cover, but I picked a pretty durable one (IKEA has a durability guide for different materials) and I don't have any pets or kids.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden