As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    sony does give out free games every month with ps+, and both xbl and ps+ require an active sub to access the free games. there are also plenty of free games for consoles as well with fortnite, waeframe, fantasy strike, etc.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Fable/Unavowed could be the system seller for an XSX for me.

Still getting PS5 on launch because I know they have the exclusives I want.

The other thing that could get me more interested in an XSX would be just how well it can work as a PC gaming replacement. If they have all the games I may have wanted on PC and for the love of the gods PLEASE MAKE KBAM EASILY USABLE FOR CROSS PLATFORM PC GAMES. If they do that then I will gladly grab an XSX at some point down the line to compliment PS5 and Switch and use as a living room PC replacement.

I really REALLY do not want to buy a new gaming PC.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    As an Xbox gamer, I wonder how much PS players really understand the value of gamepass. I’m old enough I remember when gold was giving free games but ps+ didn’t exist, and free vs nothing was a big deal. Seeing the above like both gold and ps+ give you free games shows that they have closed the gap, but game pass is just orders of magnitude beyond this. Literally, I don’t even remember the last time I bought a game, but I’m trying new stuff daily. This state where new games just keep showing up on my console to try, and there are literally hundreds of games I can just pull up on a whim to try with no cost just blows my mind in the context of like a 360 or ps3 (I had both). I just can’t imagine going back to a scenario where I have to buy the games I’m interested in, strange as that sounds. I’ve got 2077 preordered and it just feels weird!
    Anyways, maybe it’s just me, but given what a big difference it’s been for me, I do wonder how much the value of game pass gets dismissed by people who haven’t tried it.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I have PS+ and Xbox Ultimate Pass and honestly I don't even take the free games anymore. I kept forgetting to log in on time for each monthly/2 week period to check (I mostly game on PC). I have too many games already. I felt guilty about that for awhile, like I was just "leaving cash on the table," but whatever. Unless someone discovers immortality and shares it with me, it would take me about 4 lifetimes to play all the game I currently own and want to play.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    The appeal of Xbox has always been through XBL. Gamepass ultimate is a stupid value, especially considering that they game it away for basically free on top of live.

You can argue that only happened because Sony pulled so far ahead in sales, and maybe that's true.

The heyday of Xbox was definitely the 360 years, when Sony faltered with the PS3 (and before Kinect). BC kept me in for the One, but as I said, the pile of good games I haven't been able to play at all will likely pull me back to Sony. As long as they don't do something dumb like price the thing at $600.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    As an Xbox gamer, I wonder how much PS players really understand the value of gamepass. I’m old enough I remember when gold was giving free games but ps+ didn’t exist, and free vs nothing was a big deal. Seeing the above like both gold and ps+ give you free games shows that they have closed the gap, but game pass is just orders of magnitude beyond this. Literally, I don’t even remember the last time I bought a game, but I’m trying new stuff daily. This state where new games just keep showing up on my console to try, and there are literally hundreds of games I can just pull up on a whim to try with no cost just blows my mind in the context of like a 360 or ps3 (I had both). I just can’t imagine going back to a scenario where I have to buy the games I’m interested in, strange as that sounds. I’ve got 2077 preordered and it just feels weird!
    Anyways, maybe it’s just me, but given what a big difference it’s been for me, I do wonder how much the value of game pass gets dismissed by people who haven’t tried it.

I'm a person who basically plays new games as they are released. So for folks like me I think the value of gamepass is greatly diminished and thus why it doesn't really factor in to the decision much at all.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's lot of games that are dropped onto Gamepass on release, like the recent Devolver game Carrion. And like... Every first party game. If Sony had an analog to that I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

I'm a person who basically plays new games as they are released. So for folks like me I think the value of gamepass is greatly diminished and thus why it doesn't really factor in to the decision much at all.

I'm similar, if I miss the initial rush, I don't feel the same compulsion to play through them, and the sad realities of life mean I don't have the time to just reinstall Deus Ex and play it again, as much as everyone should be doing so once a month. And ultimately, for me, PlayStation has the far superior exclusive games. They're putting out Spider-Man, UNcharted, Last of Us, God of War, etc. And while I don't follow game releases as much as I used to, all I hear from Xbox is that they're still putting out Halos and Gears of War, and I remember working in store back when everyone stopped giving an f' about Gears of War, like 10 years ago. Plus you can get all those games on PC. The only Xbox exclusive game I would want is Fable, and that would be dependent on if it's more like 1 and 2, or more like the disappointing 3.

To the end of all that, my time is so limited that there are generally just big games I want to play. The Last of Us 2, Ghosts, Cyberpunk, Bloodlines 2, etc. Whereas I don't have the time for meandering segments on islands in RDR2 just to indulge the game's writer. If I were still 16, something like gamepass, or the PS equivalent which I can't remember what it is called, might make more sense.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    MS also sees fit to bloat all their first party games with MTX. Which at this point says all that needs to be said about their business practices.

If you can stomach Jim Sterling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJBlWYqVQbQ

That really put into perspective why I don't much care for any MS offerings these days. For as good as their Gamepass and BC efforts are, they also have no problem whatsoever delving into ol' scummy practices either. Now he puts forth the theory that it's all MS's fault for normalizing this shit, which I don't fully agree with... but they're still normalizing it nonetheless. Meanwhile every first party Sony game has been completely free of MTX, and that's amazing and needs to be supported.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I'm designing my own console. Consoles have gotten way too complicated lately, with all these buttons and input types and whatever. Whatever happened to simplicity? Just a dual-function system, nothing more.

So my new system is going to have ONE controller button. That's right. ONE BUTTON. I'm calling it the Mashstation 3000.

The only other feature is that it will be literally powered by a single baking potato. That's all you have to provide to power the system, which means it will technically be wireless. Whenever you beat a game, the console mashes the potato for you and presents it to you in an edible format.

Granted I haven't done any research, have no funding, have no relevant technical knowhow, and have no idea how to mash a potato but I'm hoping to release the console this year to compete with the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. If anyone feels like buying shares, I'm selling 100% profit shares to EVERY SINGLE INVESTOR. That's right! Multiple shares worth 100% of all the profits! Can you even imagine how much that means my Mashstation 3000 will be worth once it releases in a month or so?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    MS also sees fit to bloat all their first party games with MTX. Which at this point says all that needs to be said about their business practices.

That really put into perspective why I don't much care for any MS offerings these days. For as good as their Gamepass and BC efforts are, they also have no problem whatsoever delving into ol' scummy practices either. Now he puts forth the theory that it's all MS's fault for normalizing this shit, which I don't fully agree with... but they're still normalizing it nonetheless. Meanwhile every first party Sony game has been completely free of MTX, and that's amazing and needs to be supported.

To be fair, I think fans of the pillar franchises like Gears, Forza and Halo agree with those sentiments, and more recent additions have left those things to the side. It's a fair criticism, but you can't lump every first party MS game in with those games from 3-4 years ago. There's a legitimately good push they've made with smaller scale releases like Ori, Cuphead, and the new Grounded from Obsidian.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Depends on your definition of "first party" I guess. Uncharted multiplayer absolutely had boosters and paid unlocks going on. Sony also got into that project $5 shit where they stripped features out of used copies of games. Which shouldn't be a surprise, AAA devs are going to use whatever shitty money making scheme is in vogue at the time for AAA devs.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    To be fair, I think fans of the pillar franchises like Gears, Forza and Halo agree with those sentiments, and more recent additions have left those things to the side. It's a fair criticism, but you can't lump every first party MS game in with those games from 3-4 years ago. There's a legitimately good push they've made with smaller scale releases like Ori, Cuphead, and the new Grounded from Obsidian.

That's just them including smaller-scale games along with their big live-service MTX shenanigans. Whose purpose is more to support an ongoing subscription service.

Before this Xbox games reveal there was some thought that Microsoft was going to finally bring it to Sony with the new generation, and so far in terms of first-party it looks like they mostly aren't. They aren't focusing on huge-budget single-player cinematic action experiences for $60 that stress the latest hardware, they are filling up gamepass with smaller and niche games that run on current gen, while removing the numbers from tentpoles like Halo and Forza and presumably tilting them more in the live service direction, oh and the handful of interested can buy the most expensive hardware for the shiniest multiplat experience. It really feels like its just the same kind of strategy they pursued towards the end of the XBone, but with more studios backing them up.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Gamepass is a great value. But that doesn’t really matter to me when I don’t care for what Xbox is offering. Smart Delivery also sounds like a nice feature but backwards compatibility isn’t a selling point for me when I didn’t own the previous system. Xbox needs to bring the games and I don’t feel they’ve held a candle to Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft may have thrown around a lot of money to buy some studios but I’m not really seeing the result of that quite yet. Aside from Hellblade 2 - but the first one didn’t even catch my eye.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Gamepass is a great value. But that doesn’t really matter to me when I don’t care for what Xbox is offering. Smart Delivery also sounds like a nice feature but backwards compatibility isn’t a selling point for me when I didn’t own the previous system. Xbox needs to bring the games and I don’t feel they’ve held a candle to Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft may have thrown around a lot of money to buy some studios but I’m not really seeing the result of that quite yet. Aside from Hellblade 2 - but the first one didn’t even catch my eye.

Is there a specific genre that you like that you don't feel Gamepass covers very well? Honestly, I would be shocked if I couldn't throw out a number of EXTREMELY good titles in any genre you'd care to name.

Is there a specific genre that you like that you don't feel Gamepass covers very well? Honestly, I would be shocked if I couldn't throw out a number of EXTREMELY good titles in any genre you'd care to name.

Oh I’m sure there’s a few games but at this point I’m not going to buy a console and subscribe to a service when my needs are more than covered by Sony and Nintendo already. As it stands I don’t have time to play all the games included with my PS+ subscription. It’s not too different than why I don’t subscribe to more than two video streaming services. When I have limited free time I’m going to prioritize.

Microsoft feels like a fifth wheel.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Maybe the wrong crowd for this, but I found it interesting that it was announced this week that the Xbox One is no longer going to be sold here in Australia. There may be a few dozen boxes still sitting on shelves in retail and you cans till get the Xbox One S, but for new people entering the market, you either buy a PS4 or you wait for the XBX in a few months. Admittedly, we're a pretty small market down here, but I still find that to be an odd decision.

26904.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    yeah they stopped production on the XB1X and S All Digital edition. The standard XB1 S is still being made though.

MS has always kinda cut ties on producing new last gen consoles when the new ones hit. Combine that with the shortages on all new consoles from when Quarantines started, and it just becomes more apparent that its happening.

But having worked at Gamestop for over 15 years (not anymore though thankfully), you always would see them be discontinued and stop shipping around the time of new gens releasing. usually a model or 2 will still be around for a bit, but not too long.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The real value of Game Pass is not only offering insane value for consumers for first party games, but also giving smaller third party games more equal footing and a chance to reach more gamers who might be interested in trying out but for whom buy-in price is a major barrier. It promotes a more diverse gaming experience and is wholly both pro-consumer and pro-developer at the same time, and I'd kill to see PlayStation step up and provide a similarly competitive service to normalize this.

There are so many games like Carrion, bite-sized 5-6 hour experiences that I absolutely wouldn't have paid 30 bucks for and not tried otherwise, that now have a chance to be seen and loved for the price of a subscription and not buried under the noise and cost of the next giant AAA release.
    Stupid wrote: »
    Maybe the wrong crowd for this, but I found it interesting that it was announced this week that the Xbox One is no longer going to be sold here in Australia. There may be a few dozen boxes still sitting on shelves in retail and you cans till get the Xbox One S, but for new people entering the market, you either buy a PS4 or you wait for the XBX in a few months. Admittedly, we're a pretty small market down here, but I still find that to be an odd decision.

Pretty sure they only discontinued the premium-level OneX and the discless base model, the regular Xbox One model is still being sold.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    For a game like Carrion, which is $30 to buy in, but if it's available on Gamepass, well, what's the share for the indie dev putting their game on the service? If 100 people download it for "free" (cost of subscription), beat it, and never pick it up for full price because why bother, what's the incentive for the developer?

I can only assume they do get a cut, or they'll just have to trust that the service comes through for them and someone tells a friend who tells a friend who buys it full price because they don't subscribe to the Gamepass or maybe buy it through another service like Steam.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited July 2020
    I assume the deal means they either get paid per download, or that they simply sign a licensing agreement where they give them X amount up front for Y amount of months on the service. Most 3rd party games tend to be there atleast a year before leaving. First party games never leave.

I imagine the deals are pretty good for devs/publishers or they wouldn't sign on.

The nice thing is saves come forward even if you cancel game pass/the game leaves the service.

Local H Jay on
    For a game like Carrion, which is $30 to buy in, but if it's available on Gamepass, well, what's the share for the indie dev putting their game on the service? If 100 people download it for "free" (cost of subscription), beat it, and never pick it up for full price because why bother, what's the incentive for the developer?

I can only assume they do get a cut, or they'll just have to trust that the service comes through for them and someone tells a friend who tells a friend who buys it full price because they don't subscribe to the Gamepass or maybe buy it through another service like Steam.

It could be that Microsoft is shouldering a lot of the burden to get developers on board. When Xbone was a trash fire they didn’t have a lot of options. Not like they had a lot of first party games to fall back on.

In the long run it could be like Movie Pass, an appealing subscription that ultimately isn’t sustainable. Or maybe I’m just talking out of my ass (likely). Either way, Microsoft is just trying to get customers in to their ecosystem.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Details aren't public but the internet says upfront lump sum.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

JRPGs. First Person Dungeon Crawlers. Rhythm Games. Visual Novels.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Or srpg or metroivanias or really anything on the level of horizon or botw.

JRPGs: All of the Kingdom Hearts games are on Gamepass at this point. They're also going to be adding basically the entire Final Fantasy series (VIII and XV are on there now) and Dragon Quest XI. JRPGs are actually quite well served.

FP Dungeon Crawlers: I had to look this up, there actually was one. Operencia: The Stolen Sun was added for a year from March 2019 to March 2020. Darkest Dungeon is always a possiblity of being added, now that they finally ported it.

Rhythm Games: Seems like there's nothing here. Best option would be Yakuza's rhythm based minigames (three Yakuza games on Gamepass so far).

Visual novels: Being specific to that, nada. I feel like Phoenix Wright Trilogy is very possible in the future at some point, Capcom has put tons of stuff on Gamepass. Broadening to games completely focused on story over gameplay, there's a bunch. The Telltale games, Life is Strange, Gone Home, Tacoma, What Remains of Edith Finch, etc. Shorter story games are a really good category for Gamepass, imo, since maybe you don't want to drop $20-30 on a so called walking simulator, but grabbing them from Gamepass and playing them out in a session or two is quite satisfying.

edited July 2020
    Phoenix Wright is already on Xbox One

Ah I see, you meant game pass disregard

Local H Jay on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I don't recall the exact metrics on it, but developers/publishers have mentioned in the past that signing up for the system is a contractually-agreed upfront lump sum based on a specific period of time rather than 'X amount of users downloaded', and that for them it's less about long-term profitability and more about cash flow (as well many other exclusivity deals) and marketing/exposure handled by Microsoft themselves. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-08-xbox-game-pass-is-the-first-time-subscription-is-fair-for-developers
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Worth mentioning that Game Pass is absolutely infested lousy with high-quality Metroidvanias with things like Hollow Knight, Ori, Bloodstained, Dead Cells and Guacamelee, which are essentially most of the highest-profile metroidvanias of this generation.
    Best strategy games I can think of are Wargroove (Advance Wars type deal), Battletech (my GOTY for that year I think), Mutant Year Zero, Battle Chasers, the two Halo Wars games and the Wasteland games iirc. They also used to have Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Valkyria Chronicles, Into The Breach and the entire Banner Saga trilogy, but those have since gone out of rotation since.

There's definitely a dearth of Japanese content but my guess is this is really just Sony/Nintendo's hometown advantage in regards to connecting with developers and publishers (or in the case of publishers like Square Enix and Sega, I suspect some sort of platform exclusivity in the initial contract that holds back specific games going multiplatform for years).

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular

This is obviously a personal thing, but I really like finding *one* great game and sinking 100s of hours into it. Playing 5 hours of one game here and 5 hours of another there isn't really my thing.

And I enjoy the gaming weirdness that comes out of Japan occasionally. Some of that is only available on Playstation. The exclusives that come out on Xbox seem - to me - more generic and I can easily find something else that scratches the same itch.

Just to be clear, I generally think that exclusives are a dumb way to compete. But that's the reality we live in and it's a factor when you choose what hardware to buy. And to me, the exclusive on PS are more desirable than the ones on Xbox.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2020
    Fiskebent wrote: »

This is obviously a personal thing, but I really like finding *one* great game and sinking 100s of hours into it. Playing 5 hours of one game here and 5 hours of another there isn't really my thing.

And I enjoy the gaming weirdness that comes out of Japan occasionally. Some of that is only available on Playstation. The exclusives that come out on Xbox seem - to me - more generic and I can easily find something else that scratches the same itch.

Just to be clear, I generally think that exclusives are a dumb way to compete. But that's the reality we live in and it's a factor when you choose what hardware to buy. And to me, the exclusive on PS are more desirable than the ones on Xbox.

Sometimes I'm like this, and other times I like to mix it up. For instance, Spider-Man was my GotY when it came out. Now, is every Sony title a banger? Ehhhh no. Days Gone was one I was actually looking forward to, and also one I was told to avoid. Yes, there's more good than bad there. But there's more to a platform than just the games. It can come down to interface, which I've always had an easier time navigating on Xbox compared to the terrible Crossbar setup. It can come down to network reliability and download speeds, which I've noted to be much slower/worse on Sony platforms. It can come down to crossplay support, something Xbox and Nintendo have pushed for but Sony has dragged it's feet on enabling on all but the most popular of titles. It can come down to simply being able to play nearly every game on my shelf for that specific console line, just by popping the disc. And it can come down to things as simple as value, whereas I may buy one-two exclusives a year on my PS4 I buy all my shared titles digitally on Xbox if I can help it thanks to Game Share and Game Pass, and I know it'll likely my library will be supported on future boxes since BC has always been a priority on Xbox but an afterthought on PS5. If I want Jrpgs, my switch is right there and has the upside of being portable, too.

Sony went from No Games to Only Games being their strong suit. Or I guess VR, if you're into that.

Local H Jay on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I thought about the Game Pass thing recently, and I realized Playstation just has better games. Sure, there's a large library on the gamepass and I download some games that seem interesting, but then I never play them so what's the point?

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    When my son got his Xbox at Christmas last year I was fucking floored by how good Game pass was. PSNow was, quite, frankly, pathetic by comparison. They have improved the service since then but I still feel like gamepass is far and away the better service. One thing specifically about now is that there is no where online I can look and see which PS4 games are available. My internet is to garbage to stream but if I could look and see which ones are available for download it might entice me into giving it a try.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited July 2020
    Enigmedic wrote: »

You and everyone who agreed with this need to look at Gamepass, because you're missing out. Those genres are actually well covered.

SRPG: Banner Saga Trilogy, Mutant Year Zero, Gears Tactics (only on PC right now, but the inevitable Xbox version is a lock to be on there too), Bad North (seems like a mixed genre game, might scratch an itch though), Battle Chasers: Nightwar (a strategic combat system, not a true SRPG), Vambrace (which is a Darkest Dungeon-esque game), the Wastleland games (more like the original Fallouts than a pure SRPG, but it has those elements), and Stellaris (which I'm not sure, but could be a 4X game?). For just strategy without the RPG, there's also the two Halo Wars and Wargroove.

Metroidvania: Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, Carrion, the two incredible Ori games, and Indivisible (which is also kind of like Valkyrie Profile, depending on what you'd like to call that). Dark Souls games have the Metroidvania DNA usually, and a bunch of those are on offer as well. The Surge 2 and Darksiders 3 are on right now.

Depends on what you mean by "the level" of Horizon or BotW. The Witcher 3 has been on there. Both GTAV and Red Dead Redemption 2 have been added at different times. Metal Gear Solid V has been on there. Various Fallout games have been on there. The Metro games have been, some of the Tomb Raider reboots have been. My point being, if you want really good character action story games, Gamepass has a bunch and if you want open world 100 hour games, it also has that. If you want... games that are only sold on the Playstation at this time. Uh yes... go buy a Playstation, for sure.

shoeboxjeddy on
    I think it still needs to be noted for anyone talking about games that have been on there at one point or another is when they were on there. Like it doesn't do me any good if a game I wanted to play was put on there months or more after it came out.

So I feel like what some folks may mean when they say they are not into the offerings are referring to the first party offerings since those are the main ones you get at release. And if the first party games aren't the games for you then the value kinda plummets.

It's a really cool service no doubt.

But if you are a person who plays almost entirely AA/AAA games at release well... yea I just don't think those are the target market at all and that is totally fine! I'm cool with just buying games as they come out. Video games are already such a gigantic entertainment value for the cost even at full price.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Microsoft's biggest problem is that they stopped developing as many exclusive games for much of the One's life. (It's really, really hard to overstate just how horrible the initial strategy for the One was.) As a result, if you aren't into Halo, Gears, or Forza, there wasn't a hell of a lot for you.

The good news is Microsoft's management turned over, realized the mistake, and bought a bunch of studios a little while back. But since game development takes a while, it's going to take a while for that investment to result in games.

I'm curious to see if that investment manages to make Microsoft's exclusives as strong as Sony or Nintendo's. Obsidian and Double Fine were great buys, but I'm not sure the studio that made We Happy Few will work in the long run.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Also the PS3 launch was terrible, but Microsoft outdid Sony with the One by orders of magnitude. MS lost all of their ground everywhere, got outsold a reported 4:1 this generation and completely lost most developers as the primary console they made games for.

4:1?

Because there are more than 50 million Xbox one consoles sold. So unless you're suggesting there are 200 million Playstation 4 consoles....?

(I just want to make sure I don't completely not understand ratios. This doesn't change them being way behind Sony, but "Two to one" is not the same thing as "Four to one.")

Someone already beat me here: apparently, Uncharted 4 isn't a "first party Sony Game." This is news to me. Or that's really not true, because the game has those and lootboxes, the masterstroke combination you usually don't see. :lol:

The trick here seems to be...there aren't as many Playstation 4 exclusive titles...that actually have online multiplayer. Uncharted was one. Destiny 2 has as many microtransactions as any Microsoft game, or more so, but isn't an exclusive (Sony just paid for content exclusivity...for a while). No Man's Sky is also no longer an exclusive (and when it launched as an exclusive...didn't actually have multiplayer, which is a really weird position to put that game in). Tekken isn't an exclusive franchise anymore either. We all pretend Killzone never existed, as a favor to Sony. Resident Evil 7 is not an exclusive, though its VR mode is, and is the most successful PSVR title by most metrics, but did strip out the multiplayer components of the two games that proceeded it. Bloodborne has multiplayer! I almost forgot that it did, which probably isn't a great sign, but it does!

(Final Fantasy XIV isn't exclusive to PS4 either, though that is the only console you can play it on. It's also a subscription driven game with microtransactions, though no more than any other MMORPG I think.)

Which could be a blessing--there are people who are of the opinion, "I don't want to play multiplayer games." This is definitely a take. The Playstation 4, despite have a huge library...isn't really known for multiplayer games that you can only play on PS4, as far as I can tell, and the exceptions...definitely have microtransactions. The exception here might be TLOU's multiplayer component (as TLOU2 did not launch with multiplayer) as I don't think that had microtransactions (someone feel free to correct me)--the list of the most popular PS4 multiplayer games seem to include: Overwatch, GTA Online, Battlefield V, Call of Duty, Destiny 2, Monster Hunter World, Apex Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Fortnite, Rocket League and of course...FIFA 20. Almost (?) all of which, of course, have microtransactions, and none of which are exclusive to PS4 (probably relating to their popularity, frankly).

(You can just as easily argue that not pursuing multiplayer exclusives has served the PS4 very well! It just so happens, all the most popular PS4 multiplayer games...almost all have microtransactions anyway.)

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Also the PS3 launch was terrible, but Microsoft outdid Sony with the One by orders of magnitude. MS lost all of their ground everywhere, got outsold a reported 4:1 this generation and completely lost most developers as the primary console they made games for.

Because there are more than 50 million Xbox one consoles sold. So unless you're suggesting there are 200 million Playstation 4 consoles....?

(I just want to make sure I don't completely not understand ratios. This doesn't change them being way behind Sony, but "Two to one" is not the same thing as "Four to one.")

Why does the quote say I said that, I didn't say that lmao

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Why does the quote say I said that, I didn't say that lmao

Trouble with ratios and quote trees.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Gamepass does indeed look like a great value, but I guess the major reason it doesn't tempt me is that I don't really need any help finding more games to play. My Playstation backlog has more than a hundred games on it (not counting PS+ freebies). I haven't bought PSNow for the same reason (Gamepass is definitely better, but there's still enough on it for me to get my money's worth).

cckerberos.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if I started something or not, but I think its more interesting/noteworthy that the two companies do have legitimately different strengths, and rather than shoring up their weaknesses to compete they are just doubling down on the same old approach. If you've got your platform of choice the next gen really isn't offering much incentive to switch. At least if you're ready to shell out $400+ this holiday anyway, because compared to the One launch, MS is coming in with the lower priced if less capable options.

This discussion has been closed.