As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Designing a high quality coffee mug and/or wine mug remotely?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
I'm meeting a friend in about 2 weeks and I want to get her either a coffee mug or wine mug with a design and text that I can create. I just need it by next Thursday - so about 11 days from today (well, it just rolled over into Monday).

Does anyone know of any services that can do this and do reliable good work within the timeline I'm talking about?

I mean it doesn't have to be super perfect quality, I just want something that isn't too shabby or crappy.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've not used them for the actual mugs, but vistaprint has a pretty quick turnaround on most things.
    Etsy has a bunch of options. Some are lasered (clear glass, tumblers, metal mugs). Which I would think would be pretty nice?

This one looks pretty awesome. And I may have to use it as a gift for my wife. Edit: ah, lead time is 3-5 weeks on this one.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Oh I love that one!

Hold on, Imma make an H/A thread about making a time machine. Maybe we’ll get lucky!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Try Costco.

They're 'photo mugs', but depending on your design you may be able to just do the "full image" one and upload your design. I'm not sure of their turnaround, but you would potentially get it faster than a random online shipper since you pick up in-store.

Keep in mind any of these places are going to be working with standard stock and a fairly common imprintable area. If your design is a full wrap, for example, you're going to have a tough time getting anyone to do just ONE for you, let alone in your time frame.

Edit: and by "these places" I don't mean the Etsy example above, which is obviously hand-made.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    LeptonLepton Registered User regular
    Could try Tervis. They let you create custom designs. I don't know about lead time, though.

• Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I waited too long at this point anyway. For various reasons I kind of moved away from the idea but...ech. I dunno.

Thanks for the recommends, though, everyone.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    OK so I owe an update. Feel free to laugh at me.

I re-decided to go ahead and do this. The ideal option was to receive the custom mug this week before Friday and then give it to her when I met up with her this week (in as safely a socially distanced context as possible, I promise you).

On Friday, I found Zazzle which had a ZIP! shipping option where you can pay extra to have your request bumped up in the manufacturing queue and shipping in two business days. Great! I thought. But work was busy on Friday and I forgot to place the order. I figured I had until Monday anyway since two days meant Wednesday if I placed the order on Monday.

Monday comes and the ZIP! shipping option is gone. I spent an hour on with customer service because they couldn't figure out what happened. Eventually, they told me the fastest shipping option was Aug 11th - next Tuesday - which was $23 in shipping (for an $18 custom designed mug). They offered to waive shipping because of the ZIP! weirdness.

Bottom line? Now it's arriving at her apartment tomorrow before we meet on Friday. Fuck.

edit: It's a little embarrassing. It's not romantic, but it is slightly sentimental, and I wanted to either give it to her myself or explain first. Guess I'm gonna have to do that 'splainin' tomorrow morning.

Drez on
  • Options
    I called her, she got it from where UPS left the package, and opened it while on the phone with me. She loved it!