As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek: Lower Decks trailer is out. SPOILERS in effect!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Trek and Morty?

Huh. Star Trek has always been something of a rollercoaster of quality even within the "good" series(see: revolving door guest writing) so I don't really have many expectations from the series a lot of the time, but hoo boy I can already hear the controversy.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    bkavcp1le7d5.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I was of the opinion they should have just let Dax be dead instead of recasting.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    That scene is... a bit much for me, personally, but I'm sure someone will like it.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    When it comes to comedy there's really no such thing as 'too much' to me, but unfortunately that skit didn't make me so much as crack a smile. Probably just aimed at a younger audience than me, which is fine.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Parents often end up watching their kids stuff because that's just whats on while the kids are up. The most enduring kids shows manage to appeal to adults because those are the ones dad wont get sick of and turn off after an hour.

At this point I'm probably better versed in Lion Guard and PJ Masks than Star Trek.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I like the background art. Like, the space shots are pretty, and it's nice to see another show with TNG-era aesthetics.

Otherwise I am not enthused. "haha, someone gets drunk and violently assaults and injures another crew member." Hilarious

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Definitely looks like they want the Rick and Morty crowd for sure. Not sure how to feel about it.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well it's not like she did something really dangerous, like drop a barrel on Worf

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The first look left me sort of mixed. It was an okay bit. I think the thing that's off-putting to me isn't the subject matter of the comedy, but how derivative it all feels in execution.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Well it's not like she did something really dangerous, like drop a barrel on Worf

that barrel had no honor

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The first look left me sort of mixed. It was an okay bit. I think the thing that's off-putting to me isn't the subject matter of the comedy, but how derivative it all feels in execution.

I came away with the same thing, it got a sensible chuckle or two out of me, but it doesn't feel like it's own thing at all. It's also got that stressful high energy delivery where everyone is yelling all the time, and over each other, like Bob's Burgers, but I'm guessing the VO work here isn't all just improv like it is on Bob's Burgers.

Also, it bothered me that an ensign would be walking around the ship with a trunk full of stolen treasure, getting drunk on banned booze and wildly swinging around a rusty bat'leth. I get that this is lampooning a lot of Trek, but this just feels stupid for the sake of being stupid.

Dark_Side on
    edited July 2020

https://ridgek.itch.io/star-trek-killer-qegh

This is a game you might enjoy.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

https://ridgek.itch.io/star-trek-killer-qegh

This is a game you might enjoy.

This is incredible.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I lost when I saw the health meter is labeled "Spine." What a gem.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Just posting to see if I can get rid of this Unread bug, don't mind me!

Oh, I do mind.

Lightsabers on the holodeck at dawn, shol'va.

Mancingtom wrote: »
    Oh, I do mind.

In this thread we solve our disputes through Anbo-Jyutsu, the ultimate evolution in the martial arts.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Oh, I do mind.

In this thread we solve our disputes through Anbo-Jyutsu, the ultimate evolution in the martial arts.

Sorry, my Anbo-Jyutsu stick is out of batteries. How are we supposed to blindfold fight if the whistle stick won't whistle?

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Oh, I do mind.

Who would win in a fight: Odo vs Chief O'Brien with prep

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Oh, I do mind.

The ancient unknowable horror that crawled into O'Brien's brain during the opening scene.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Oh, I do mind.

The ancient unknowable horror that crawled into O'Brien's brain during the opening scene.
    Mirror Odo is not that old.

Oh, I do mind.

O'Brien, easily.

Then he would slip on a puddle and fall through a portal into a Hell dimension. 300 years would pass for him while only 3 days elapsed in normal time. He would return, only to find that Baby Q had replaced him with a duplicate that could only do 3 things: sip Raktajino, lose at darts, and compliment Keiko.

Everyone like that version better. They are not shy about saying so.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Oh, I do mind.

How can one defeat that which is eternally trapped between in the void between life and death?

Also, does O'Brien get self-sealing stem bolts?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Oh, I do mind.

O'Brien, easily.

Then he would slip on a puddle and fall through a portal into a Hell dimension. 300 years would pass for him while only 3 days elapsed in normal time. He would return, only to find that Baby Q had replaced him with a duplicate that could only do 3 things: sip Raktajino, lose at darts, and compliment Keiko.

Pretty sure we had that episode already. O'Brien evaded Odo and all of DS9's security as well as the Defiant. After evading pursuit he immediately got shot by a rando alien and it was revealed that he was in fact a clone and the real O'Brien has to watch the clone die in his arms.

DanHibiki on
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Oh, I do mind.

O'Brien, easily.

Pretty sure we had that episode already. O'Brien evaded Odo and all of DS9's security as well as the Defiant. After evading pursuit he immediately got shot by a rando alien and it was revealed that he was in fact a clone that the real O'Brien watched die in his arms.

Yes, but don't you see? The repetition adds that little spice of ennui that makes it truly O'Brien.

Any character can suffer. Only O'Brien can suffer so much that the universe has to go to reruns.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh, I do mind.

O'Brien, easily.

Pretty sure we had that episode already. O'Brien evaded Odo and all of DS9's security as well as the Defiant. After evading pursuit he immediately got shot by a rando alien and it was revealed that he was in fact a clone that the real O'Brien watched die in his arms.

Yes, but don't you see? The repetition adds that little spice of ennui that makes it truly O'Brien.

Any character can suffer. Only O'Brien can suffer so much that the universe has to go to reruns.

So it turns out that O'Brien's life is, ironically, a classic of the Cardassian repetitive epic genre?

I'll make sure to tell that to the next version of him I run into.

I love that.

Also:

Discovery Season 3 Starts October 15.

From the trailer, I have a feeling it's going to be much more optimistic than the first two seasons. And while it's still going for maximum stakes, this particular version seems tailored for the introspection and character development the show has sorely lacked.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I don't really see how that qualifies as a trailer. Lady standing there holding a flag for 5 seconds. Okay?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I don't really see how that qualifies as a trailer. Lady standing there holding a flag for 5 seconds. Okay?

Sorry, I meant this trailer from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ec8WnBHes

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Fucking CBS region-locking its trailers.

Anyone got a link? And one for the Lower Decks clip from last page while we're at it?

sig.gif
    I will never understand why a company seeking a global audience for a globally-available show would region-lock its advertisements for that show.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Because it doesn't own the network where that show is broadcast overseas so fuck'em

But yeah, it's kind of silly

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    man Voyager has the weirdest episodes. The A plot is the Doctor doing a My Fair Lady with Seven and the B plot is Buddy from Kids in the Hall eating soup.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Oh, I do mind.

O'Brien, easily.

Pretty sure we had that episode already. O'Brien evaded Odo and all of DS9's security as well as the Defiant. After evading pursuit he immediately got shot by a rando alien and it was revealed that he was in fact a clone and the real O'Brien has to watch the clone die in his arms.

We got a couple of those episodes in DS9 I think. The one I remember is when they make a salvaging trip to Empok Nor and OBrien, after watching his entire crew of young guns (minus Nog) be murdered, has to take on a meth'ed up Garak who has got the blood lust. I'd take O'Brien with prep against pretty much anyone.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Maybe it's true. Maybe you're not a soldier anymore."
    "You're right. I'm an engineer."

From the faceyspace's Star Trek Shitposting:
    sabxsz93rahd.png

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Oh c'mon, Andrew Robinson has described Garak as pansexual.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Cambiata wrote: »

Oh, I hadn't known that. I thought the Ziyal ship was shoehorned in because Berman.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Oh, I hadn't known that. I thought the Ziyal ship was shoehorned in because Berman.
    Both can be true.

This discussion has been closed.