As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
In German, pigs say "grunz" instead of "oink." This sounds much closer to an actual pig noise, in my opinion.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grunt used to be used as an onomatopoeia specific to pigs in English as well

Back in the seventeenth century pigs were commonly called grunters (and baby pigs, rather than being called piglets, were called the extremely delightful gruntling)

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Relatedly, check out the Animal Sounds section of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linguistic_onomatopoeias

Pigs are included for like thirty five different languages there

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    How did we even get ‘oink’ in the language to start with
    What twee Victorian children’s author decided that a simple down to earth grunt was too earthy and licentious for polite company

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The first known use was 1938, according to Merriam-Webster, so I'm going to go with a push to flee German sounding words.

I have heard pig noises (more in the squeal direction than the grunt direction) that definitely sound like oinks, and I can make a sound that is still formed from the basis of the word oink that I feel is similar. I don't know entirely how to describe making the sound, it's almost like trying to inhale it as you're making it?

Anyways, it appears to be more recent than all that - Etymonline is first attesting it in 1965 and Merriam Webster has it at 1938.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Gruntlings are adorable

Straightzi wrote: »
    I have heard pig noises (more in the squeal direction than the grunt direction) that definitely sound like oinks, and I can make a sound that is still formed from the basis of the word oink that I feel is similar. I don't know entirely how to describe making the sound, it's almost like trying to inhale it as you're making it?

Anyways, it appears to be more recent than all that - Etymonline is first attesting it in 1965 and Merriam Webster has it at 1938.
    I know the noises you mean, pig callers use them I think? It’s more an oink than a grunt but it’s not really an oink

Oh the pig owners I've known use sooey as their pig calling word

Which I guess is potentially also an onomatopoetic pig sound off of a squeal

Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh the pig owners I've known use sooey as their pig calling word

Which I guess is potentially also an onomatopoetic pig sound off of a squeal

I’m probably gonna spend the afternoon listening to pig call compilations and no I will not feel like this is a waste of my time

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I use sooey to call my pigs, but only after watching Cam do it on Modern Family

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    How did we even get ‘oink’ in the language to start with
    What twee Victorian children’s author decided that a simple down to earth grunt was too earthy and licentious for polite company

“Oink” is pretty close if you snort while you say it

But then I suppose so is any other word

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My university's mascot is the Razorback, a feral hog, and the big cheer we do at sporting events is calling the hogs with the sooey thing, and it's weird cause everything I've ever read about feral hogs is you do not want to be any closer to them than you absolutely have to be.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    now I want a pig

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My university's mascot is the Razorback, a feral hog, and the big cheer we do at sporting events is calling the hogs with the sooey thing, and it's weird cause everything I've ever read about feral hogs is you do not want to be any closer to them than you absolutely have to be.

Oh yeah, they're stupid dangerous.

I would rather run across a mountain lion or grizzly bear than a feral hog.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Gruntlings are adorable

What’s the difference between a gruntling and a suckling

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    in fairness to pig onomotopaeia, while they mostly grunz grunz grunz they will sometimes exclaim oiiink in excitement or alarm

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Pigs are awesome

af2a1u16fj49.jpeg
    u8w9kvzkv3ux.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Gruntlings are adorable

What’s the difference between a gruntling and a suckling

Whether or not they've managed to shoulder their way to a teat, I suppose.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Posting to fix the unread post bug.

Another word for a young pig is shoat. My mom discovered this and promptly called my brother and I this for the rest of our childhood.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited July 2020
    Germanized UK is a lot more fun, I feel like the anglicized German used a too narrow set of linguistic stems. UK place names are usually much wackier.

tynic on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It's me, the gruntling.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Germanized UK is a lot more fun, I feel like the anglicized German used a too narrow set of linguistic stems.

Both maps seem confused as to which type of settlements the endings originally denote

England and parts of Germany also share a pattern of earlier Roman and later Germanic place names which gets put through the mangle

The more I look at it the more eh I feel BUT
    ... Nethersex is a goddamn stroke of genius

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Feral hog or bull moose or bull hippo?

edited July 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Probably the moose.

Dense forests are their enemies because of the antlers, so if you're running into one you can at least use that to your advantage. That's where you'll probably be if you run into one generally too.

Hog come in packs, so, fuck that noise.

Hippos probably can climb trees with their magic pissed off powers and shit I don't know but something tells me I don't want to run across them either.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i feel like you're 100% dead in all of those scenarios

Oh yeah for sure.

Moose can run like 30 mph through ass deep snow.

But like

if I had to pick one definitely the moose because I might survive that if I get them bored of running around trees.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Why not pick that pre historic killer
    The Hell Pig! aka Entelodonts
    It's skull
    c8ifibkut5d1.png
    We do not know if the flanges on either side of the skull were extra muscle anchors or for rutting or what
    Like hippos they could open their jaw a 150 degrees

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Probably the moose.

Dense forests are their enemies because of the antlers, so if you're running into one you can at least use that to your advantage. That's where you'll probably be if you run into one generally too.

Hippos probably can climb trees with their magic pissed off powers and shit I don't know but something tells me I don't want to run across them either.

Hippos are big enough I bet they could just knock the tree down to get to you.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Probably the moose.

How big do you think moose are?

furlion wrote: »
    Posting to fix the unread post bug.

Another word for a young pig is shoat. My mom discovered this and promptly called my brother and I this for the rest of our childhood.

“Get in the car you little shoats!”

Probably the moose.

21 hands

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Probably the moose.

Moose are very big and heavy! Still less than half the size of a hippo though. I used to know guys who would go up and bow hunt moose. They always had a guide with a big fuck off rifle as backup for if the arrow didn't drop the moose right away, and the moose figured out where they were.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    In Texas it is legal to shoot wild hogs from a helicopter with an assault rifle

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Feral pigs are one of the most destructive invasive species

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

and one of the tastiest

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

and one of the tastiest

I was under the impression feral hogs were not in fact good eating because of how tough their meat is

Madican wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

and one of the tastiest

I was under the impression feral hogs were not in fact good eating because of how tough their meat is

nothing a fuck ton of tenderizing can't fix

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They make great sausage.