As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Searching temporarily disabled

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, loooong load times here.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yep. 37 seconds to go from the index to the circus, and 8 seconds to get into the topic.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm after getting several 505's when trying to post in H&A, open and post in a thread in D&D and when trying to open this thread,

Tav on
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I was wondering what was wrong when I kept on clicking...just thought it was my slow computer.

bychance on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the reports, guys. I usually try to check in around 3:30-4:30 my time, which is pretty much the forums peak usage time. I'm definitely seeing the kinds of delays you guys are talking about. We apparently cannot blame search entirely for our problems. I don't currently have enough instrumentation available to me to narrow it down further, but I will keep working at it.

Ramius on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Dammit. This explains why I can't search or find the last login time of anyone (it seems).

I'm trying to check when visiblehowl last logged in.

Squashua on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm surfing fine now. Minimal load times.

Satan. on
    edited January 2008
    Right after that post, 8-10s load times. Though this thread loaded fine from the index.

Satan. on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know what monitoring you use on the server, but Zabbix is pretty good.

It'll let you monitor all servers in the cluster, and check from anywhere. :P

MKR on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just had a bit of lag time, roughly 20s at 7:11pm.

Meiz on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited January 2008
    MKR wrote: »

I believe alpha uses Nagios, but I'm not sure. Really, anything which would fall under the umbrella of "sysadmin" is alpha's domain. I'm just a PHP coder with a bit of a clue. I know enough sysadmin stuff to be dangerous, sure, but I would never pretend to be able to setup a high-load / high-availability cluster like what we are running on.

Ramius on
    edited January 2008
    Ramius wrote: »

I believe alpha uses Nagios, but I'm not sure. Really, anything which would fall under the umbrella of "sysadmin" is alpha's domain. I'm just a PHP coder with a bit of a clue. I know enough sysadmin stuff to be dangerous, sure, and my experiments keep making the forums go slow as shit.

Couldn't resist :P

Satan. on
    edited January 2008
    Any idea of when search will be back up? I'm tempted to make a D&D thread, but I don't want the first 5 posts to be links back to where the original thread is :P

Tav on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Have you considered putting a moderately long timer between searches, instead?

jothki on
    edited January 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Any idea of when search will be back up? I'm tempted to make a D&D thread, but I don't want the first 5 posts to be links back to where the original thread is :P

What thread? Just ask in [chat] first and one of us pretentious assholes will gladly point it out :P

Satan. on
    edited January 2008
    how big is the archive? Could it be conceivable to allow users to download the archive and then update like once per week and search that? I'm sure client side searching would save some cycles.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited January 2008
    Tossrock wrote: »
    how big is the archive? Could it be conceivable to allow users to download the archive and then update like once per week and search that? I'm sure client side searching would save some cycles.

Trading server load for bandwidth strain might not be wise. :P

MKR on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ramius has a long-term fix planned, it's just not implemented yet.

Thanatos on
  • Captain ReadingCaptain Reading Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I am sitting here at my desk and trying to find where the links page is and since I can't search the forum can somone point me in the right direction or mention a site where I can play some games to make the time pass while I am at work.

Captain Reading on
    edited January 2008
    So I am sitting here at my desk and trying to find where the links page is and since I can't search the forum can somone point me in the right direction or mention a site where I can play some games to make the time pass while I am at work.
    If you're talking about Linksville, it hasn't existed for quite some time.

If you're talking about something else, then I am not familiar with it.

Thanatos on
  • Captain ReadingCaptain Reading Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well can I make a thread about internet gaming and links to such sites or is that not allowed, or does such a thread already exist and if so what is it called? I just wanna waste some time here and play on my computer.

Captain Reading on
    edited January 2008

PA has what could be referred to as a "fat pipe". I doubt pushing a few megs of compressed text to the users who opt in is going to break the bank.

Hell, they seem more reluctant to implement new server hardware, but since bandwidth is something they've already got in bushels, the powers that be might be more inclined to adopt.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited January 2008
    http://www.google.com

Satan. on
    edited January 2008

PA has what could be referred to as a "fat pipe". I doubt pushing a few megs of compressed text to the users who opt in is going to break the bank.

Hell, they seem more reluctant to implement new server hardware, but since bandwidth is something they've already got in bushels, the powers that be might be more inclined to adopt.
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Ramius has a long-term fix planned, it's just not implemented yet.

Also: do you really want them to develop a way to export the data and a way for users to easily search said data as a stop-gap solution? Just use BoardReader as a gimped way to search for now and wait patiently like the rest of us... they're working on it!

Satan. on
    edited January 2008
    I see searching is back. Woo!

I'm noticing slight slowdowns, <5s when it does get stuck though.

Satan. on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was able to tell search was back on without even trying to do one. I've been getting 10-30 second delays for several hours today.

Smasher on
    edited January 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    I was able to tell search was back on without even trying to do one. I've been getting 10-30 second delays for several hours today.
    Yeah, now that we're into the night hours on the east coast, it's bogging down again.

Satan. on
    edited January 2008
    Just hit a pretty long (1-1.5m) wall of gateway errors. No long load times, just resolved to gateway errors.

Satan. on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Very very slow connections for the last half hour or so.

Synthetic Orange on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Same here.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    its like molasses in january for me right now

been that way all day

tugga on
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, my load times have gone to heck since search has been back :|

Tav on
    edited January 2008
    It's pretty snappy here.

MKR on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, I just had some epic load times, and time outs.

LewieP on
    edited January 2008
    It's up and down. During the late evening on the east coast it gets really bad. Too many people were complaining they couldn't search, I guess. That or the fix that Ramius mentioned is coming shortly and he just said fuck it.

Satan. on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I heard that posting and browsing he were temporarily disabled by Ramius. Hyuk hyuk.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got a timeout about 10 minutes ago. Everything's snappy now, though.

Kreutz on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How much server use does the subscribed threads feature use? It takes a few seconds for my user cp to load whenever I want to change something, and I'm assuming thats because I have hundreds of subscribed threads that I never look at clogging up the intertubes.

Anyway, the site has been extremely slow and unresponsive whenever I visit it lately, with server timeouts and gateway errors left and right. Its still browsable, but generally I am inclined to surf elsewhere after about a half hour of coping with it.

Shurakai on
    edited January 2008
    And it would appear searching has been disabled again?

At least I can't access it.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited January 2008
    Ramius has been experimenting.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Thanatos on