As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Art Tech Thread [Wacom/Yiynova, Computer builds, Software] Post your set up!

124»

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    As a lefty who hates to use the ctrl z due to how awkward it feels, that might be a godsend if I could get it to work on my pc

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Clip paint on the ipad is just the full version of clip paint. Its great, but I highly recommend getting something for hotkeys. At first I got a bluetooth keyboard, but I wanted more flexibility on how I could sit with the ipad, so I got a little bluetooth controller:

The set up is finicky, but I found a mapping that works for me.

Somethings to factor in:
    - Clip paint on the ipad is a monthly subscription
    - Getting files off the ipad if you don't have a mac to air drop is annoying. I use dropbox (another subscription). Dropbox occasionally fails with the larger files, and I use air drop for that.
    - The pencil is very thin, and caused me a ton of strain. You might want to look into foam or gel pencil rests to put on it.

Almost all my recent work has been on the ipad, so its performing pretty well and it seems like it was work the investment.

Thank you Iruka!

Any thoughts on which size to get? I'm flip-flopping between the 11 or the 12.9.

With an 11 I'd be able to afford one of the beefier memory options, and it's nearly a half-pound lighter. On the other hand, since my main purpose with the thing would be digital drawing, the 12.9 might be a better choice for the increased canvas space?

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have the 12.9 and I wish I could buy a bigger one. If you think you'll be comfortable with the 11 inches, I dont want to tell you how you draw, BUT if you plan to use clip paint you will have to do some serious adjusting to the UI to get shit off your screen to recover the real estate.

The power/memory is pretty nice, but the smaller the screen, the harder it is for me to imagine getting expansive work done.

You've convinced me, 12.9 it is! Thanks for the advice. I've been squirreling funds away for a while, so it sounds worth it to pay for the extra screen real estate.

My utter failure to accurately 'ink' over my sketch layer with my intuos earlier this year meant I've been eyeing a screen drawing thing for a while. I swear I can go back over my lines with at least SOME consistency when working with physical media!

edited July 2020
    Got an ipad, it rules, having some trouble with the 8bitdo hotkey doohickey I got for cheap.

I've managed to get the ipad to recognize the device (it thinks it's a Dualshock controller), but I can't seem to assign hotkeys in Clip Studio. When I go to 'shortcut settings' and 'add shortcut,' it is not recognizing my inputs for the button I'd like assigned.

8bitdo's website says "Go to your painting App and set the controller as ‘keyboard’ before using." Not sure where that option is though. Any advice?

Edit: NEVERMIND, helps if I read the instructions that came with the thing, ha. I think I've got it now!

Didgeridoo on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The 16 inch Cintiq (non pro) is sold out here and on back order forever but the 22 inch isn't and I'm actually tempted (rather the part of my brain with poor impulse control is, the rest not so much :) ). One of the reviews mentioned it can sometimes be a wee bit pixelated in certain situations. I had a 24 inch HD monitor once that was a little too blocky sometimes but the viewing area was larger and it was ancient. My current monitors are 24 inch 1200p IPS panels that look pretty crisp. Anyone here have experience with the 22' screen? Its hard to tell from reviews but it looks fine? I'm not too concerned about it. Mostly curious about how it looks from someone who has used one.

I'm leaning towards waiting for the 16. Ideally a 19 inch would be ideal given space constraints but Wacom don't do that size and I really want the wacom pen. The downside is the stand is extra for the 16 but it is still much cheaper to get both than the 22 so it's not really an issue.

danx on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2020
    @danx I've been using a 22" at work for years (I guess mine would be an older model by now, so I don't know if they've changed anything in the newer ones) and I can't say I'd ever noticed anything that bothered me pixelation-wise. It seems to be the most common size used at the places I've worked at, so it's a pretty solid workhorse. The only issues I've had with it are having to irritate everyone by insisting on turning the ceiling lights off the prevent glare (for home use I guess this isn't an issue), and the size of it means it's gonna be a permanent big fixture on your desk so some significant desk rearranging will be in order (might need to get monitor stands, might want an Ergotron arm if you want more adjustability, gotta find a comfortable place for your keyboard and mouse to exist, etc).

If you're constrained on space,you might want something smaller you can more easily shove to the side (at home I've got a 12" model I can just throw on top of my tower when I'm not using it). If you've got the space and the budget and want a desk that's reads as 'full-on art battlestation' at all times, the extra size of the 22" is certainly nice to have. I haven't used the 16" so I'm not sure how much desk space considerations you need to make with it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    Thanks Bacon. Space is the limiting factor and while I would prefer the 22' the 16' is the better option. It could work but it's just not worth the hassle. I have a space on the desk where the 16 can sit when it's not in use.

The angle between the room light and the desk isn't very good for preventing glare. It's been an issue with some screens in the past but the 2019 16' and 22' models have matte screens to help with glare so hopefully that's a non issue.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    What I've found super helpful is display tablets with vesa mounting holes. I put mine on a normal monitor arm and put it up as a monitor when not drawing, and it's easy to pull out into art mode at a moment's notice. That way I get the benefit of the 22" tablet without the downsides

Does the Cintiq support vesa mounting?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited July 2020
    Yeah it does.

Okay new plan. If I move the fixed height two monitor mount I can put a single monitor height adjustable stand there for a cintiq.

Cheers.

edit: words, how do they work? sigh

danx on
    danx wrote: »
    Yeah it does.

Okay new plan. If I move the fixed height two monitor mount I can put a single monitor stand with height adjustable stand next there for a cintiq.

Cheers.

Oh, awesome! Just make sure the monitor arms can cross the depth of your desk adequately. My desk is ~ 1.2m x 0.9m, and that might be a little far if I didn't have such long arms.

Oh wow that word salad.
    templewulf wrote: »
    Oh, awesome! Just make sure the monitor arms can cross the depth of your desk adequately. My desk is ~ 1.2m x 0.9m, and that might be a little far if I didn't have such long arms.

My desk is only 0.65m deep. :( 0.9m sounds like luxury. Small old houses with chimneys in a lot of rooms really suck.

Most of the desk arms seem pretty small on the extension they offer. Managed to find a few arms that'll fit but there weren't a lot of options.

danx wrote: »
    Oh wow that word salad.

My desk is only 0.65m deep. :( 0.9m sounds like luxury. Small old houses with chimneys in a lot of rooms really suck.

Most of the desk arms seem pretty small on the extension they offer. Managed to find a few arms that'll fit but there weren't a lot of options.

I won't lie; 50% of the reason was to have space behind the keyboard for a cat bed.

edited July 2020
    jsaulv0zaxge.jpg

My current setup, I switch it up often because the laptop and monitor combo is actually pretty awkward
    It's also really cramp, I wish to have a wider desk so I could have additional space for traditional media concurrently instead of having to select between one for another

I wonder if you folks have any solutions for this?

Peas on
    There are some monitor stands that have a tray for a laptop but I'm not sure how useful they are. How much room do you have? Can you put another table beside it?

I didn't know a product like that existed, nice. I am renting so that's the amount of space I get unfortunately.

edited July 2020
    @Peas: I dunno if your tablet has a little stand like mine, but when I use mine I have it propped up in my lap to save space/for ergonomics (A)- and if I'm doing pencil drawing, I just lay my clipboard/sketchpad right on top of the tablet and draw that way. Might not be the best if you're working very large or with messy materials, but it's a workable solution for what I do.

My suggestion would be to get a laptop stand to elevate the laptop to be little more out of the way/more aligned with the monitor, and use the space under it to stow the table when not in use (B). If you can you might want to scoot the monitor and the laptop to the right a little bit so there's less strain getting at your keyboard when using the tablet. (C)
    q4o5nzwu4r01.png

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    If you don't want to buy a laptop stand, I have found that a cardboard box does well.

mtaf2665uxua.jpg

My desk setup includes:

Two 10+ year old monitors
    One 10+ year old Intuos 3
    One laptop provided by client - only used for work related to client
    One 10+ year old Mac Powerbook that I keep around because it has the full Adobe CS5 suite on it
    One pile of notepads and old mail.
    One burner phone.
    One iPod mini.
    One Gatorade bottle that I've been using as a water bottle for a year.
    One portrait of myself painted by a famous artist.

ChicoBlue wrote: »
    One laptop provided by client - only used for work related to client

I hope your client doesn't get mad that you broke your NDA, and now all their competitors know all about their unannounced plain white box project.

I think I'm okay. Just as long as I don't reveal what is inside the box.

Is it a butt?

The painting on the wall?

Yes.

@Iruka @Didgeridoo what settings did you folks go with for your 8bitdo? And would you be willing to share the source of the swivel-y grip thing from your tweet?

@Iruka @Didgeridoo what settings did you folks go with for your 8bitdo? And would you be willing to share the source of the swivel-y grip thing from your tweet?

Here is my current layout!

t9jh6s5v92gz.png

Didgeridoo wrote: »

Here is my current layout!

t9jh6s5v92gz.png

Awesome, thank you! Is reverse canvas to mirror horizontally?

Indeed it is! Helps me recognize how off my proportions are when I flip the canvas.

Got the Cintiq 22 earlier. First impression is it's very heavy. Wacom says it's 5.6kilos but it feels like 10 to these puny arms. The colour is stunning though. Can't imagine what the pro must be like.

I didn't realise how much nicer the pen would be over a mouse for general UI tasks. It's more moving around but the 1:1 feels nicer somehow. This might be great for slay the spire. I'd try it now but wouldn't get any sleep so tomorrow maybe.

My only gripe so far is the while the wall socket to power block cable is pretty generous in length, the wire coming from the power block to the device is a wee bit short. It might have to go on the desk. :bigfrown:

Oh the arting? Yeah it's alright.

Seriously, my temp setup here is bad so I only dabbled a bit. Keyboard and mouse are barely usable. I wanted to test it to make sure it worked in case it had to go back. Will fix the positioning and begin digital art adventures tomorrow.

Thanks again for the advice.

Dumb question for those of you with Clip Studio on iPad- is there a way to find out what the icons control within the app? On PC if I hover over an option it'll tell me what it does, but I haven't been able to recreate that on the iPad.

I'm still learning the ropes with digital stuff, and frequently forget what some of the options are for. Especially with the animation tools!

I have a CSP question too! I just found out that it has posable 3d models for figure drawing in the materials tab, and you can even customize the body proportions!

What I don't know is if there's a way to save that customized model for re-use later. I'd love to set a canonical figure for each of my characters. I assumed you could do it like you can save duplicate brushes, but I haven't found the right UI element to click on yet.

Any ideas?

So I've been revisiting my Wacom Intuos for times when I'd like to have a larger screen to play with, and was running up against some issues which had caused me to leave it to collect dust in the first place. It always felt un-natural to draw on, like there was this huge disconnect between the motions I was making and what ended up on screen.

TURNS OUT that there were some buried settings and stuff in Clip Studio which were causing the pen to register the pen pressure with the first stroke.... and then be stuck at that level of pressure for the entire rest of the drawing session. So if the first stroke I made was a heavy stroke, all my other lines would be made with maximum pressure, regardless of the pressure I was actually applying.

I only recognized it this time because I now have the iPad to compare it to, whereas previously I just shrugged and thought digital drawing might not be for me.

So... in case any digital drawing newbies are lurking, Here's the Fix That Worked for Me