As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I'm going to preface this by saying I am not trying to be insulting or combative to anyone; I have a feeling this could come off poorly so I will try to choose words carefully.

For those saying gamepass doesn't fit with their current habits, what it really reminds me of is when video streaming was just replacing cable. People are used to doing things a certain way, and maybe the streaming doesn't have exactly what they want immediately, so it gets dismissed or regarded as just an iteration on the old model.

I'm not trying to sell gamepass to anyone, but I do think it has fundamentally changed how I interact with my console and my expectations of it. Like cable, I used to sit down and 'take what was there' ie the stuff I had bought. Now I can sit down and browse through a hundred different things and stream exactly what I feel like at the moment. I'm checking the 'what's new' section just like I check Netflix to find something new to watch. And just like I can't imagine going back to cable after years of using Netflix, I have the same visceral reaction when I think about going back to a 'traditional console experience'.

Maybe I am just the target audience for the original XOne announcement (#digital4lyfe), but I do think that gamepass and online services is being underestimated as a selling point. I'm just really curious how much the walled garden approach hampers the communication. As can be seen from the last few posts, there are still a lot of mistaken assumptions simply because people haven't tried the service. Unlike Netflix where you can just sign up for a free trial, you can't really trial gamepass without buying the console (unless you have a PC of course, but just focusing on consoles here). Even though I think there is massive value for the consumer there, it doesn't really help if you can't communicate it them.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I mean there's pretty good value if you wait a year or less on PS4 exclusives too. Most of the $60+ market is about impatience/FOMO and gamepass isn't changing that much for 3rd party AAA.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've tried so many games I'd never have given a chance on Game Pass, like Wandersong, Celeste, My Friend Pedro, Clustertruck, Human Fall Flat, the list goes on and on

Local H Jay on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    I'm going to preface this by saying I am not trying to be insulting or combative to anyone; I have a feeling this could come off poorly so I will try to choose words carefully.

For those saying gamepass doesn't fit with their current habits, what it really reminds me of is when video streaming was just replacing cable. People are used to doing things a certain way, and maybe the streaming doesn't have exactly what they want immediately, so it gets dismissed or regarded as just an iteration on the old model.

I'm not trying to sell gamepass to anyone, but I do think it has fundamentally changed how I interact with my console and my expectations of it. Like cable, I used to sit down and 'take what was there' ie the stuff I had bought. Now I can sit down and browse through a hundred different things and stream exactly what I feel like at the moment. I'm checking the 'what's new' section just like I check Netflix to find something new to watch. And just like I can't imagine going back to cable after years of using Netflix, I have the same visceral reaction when I think about going back to a 'traditional console experience'.

Maybe I am just the target audience for the original XOne announcement (#digital4lyfe), but I do think that gamepass and online services is being underestimated as a selling point. I'm just really curious how much the walled garden approach hampers the communication. As can be seen from the last few posts, there are still a lot of mistaken assumptions simply because people haven't tried the service. Unlike Netflix where you can just sign up for a free trial, you can't really trial gamepass without buying the console (unless you have a PC of course, but just focusing on consoles here). Even though I think there is massive value for the consumer there, it doesn't really help if you can't communicate it them.

I mean maybe some of it is that. But there's also probably a fair chunk of this being you still looking at it from your perspective.

Like as it currently stands it is not a service for me. Maybe all sorts of things will change and every AAA comes out on there day 1 with no downsides. Well sure. But that day isn't today so there's no reason for me to care about it right now.

The Netflix comparison is interesting because that also shows your particular tendencies. Like I sure as shit don't scroll through Netflix looking for something new to watch. And I would be even less inclined to do that for games as it's an industry I'm much more on the pulse of and already know what things came out that interested me or not. For me the primary use is for new big shows that they produce and put on there that I am already waiting for and counting down the days to start watching once it's going to be released. Then there's the occasional show I missed from some time ago that has never been easily available other places before as a bonus but would not sell me on the service alone.

And even above is not what gamepass seems to currently offer and even the things missed no longer applies because I have no gaming backlog and even if I did I could still get those games elsewhere. But I'm fully on the new games only train at this point in my life.

I'm not saying it could never be a thing I'd use. But I'm not going to buy into something before it actually becomes a useful service.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I mean there's pretty good value if you wait a year or less on PS4 exclusives too. Most of the $60+ market is about impatience/FOMO and gamepass isn't changing that much for 3rd party AAA.

I very much appreciate the patience discounts on big Sony titles. Like, I played all of the Uncharted games in 2019 and that was three really good games, one solid 7/10 game and one solid 7/10 game (but also just freaking gorgeous) for 50 bucks total. It also meant that when I played TLOU and discovered that it was just too damn bleak for me I was only out ten bucks.

And ermagahd getting Bloodborne for $20 felt like highway robbery. Like that game should not ever have been so cheap.

I think the only big exclusives I've felt the need to spend day one money on were Horizon and Gravity Rush 2.

That's basically any single player game these days though, not exclusive to Sony. Sony just has a wealth of single player story based games.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Gamepass is a quality service - I got a new PC recently and I already have 15 games installed on it that are through Gamepass, and there were certainly more that I'm interested in but will wait on until I've worked through some of these.

But it isn't revolutionary in any way, and it's not doing anything to change how I game or how I make purchasing decisions or anything like that. It's basically GameTap 2.0. And that's great - I loved GameTap! But GameTap showed up 15 years ago in a very similar form to Gamepass, failed to set the world on fire, and changed so much in less than 4 years that I gave up on it (even though it somehow limped along until 2015, apparently).

It's a fun thing to sign up for for a few months at a time, play a bunch of games, and then let it lapse for a while before repeating. And a great value when doing so.

That's basically any single player game these days though, not exclusive to Sony. Sony just has a wealth of single player story based games.

That's fair, and they're hardly the only company to discount their games after a year or so. I buy a lot of Ubisoft games when they hit the 30-bucks-for-the-ultimate-edition price point also. I was mentally comparing them to companies like Koei/Tecmo who seem allergic to the concept of sales.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    scroll through Netflix looking for something new to watch
    People... do that?! I certainly don't have enough time to play the games in my backlog, I'm _never_ going to just plop down in front of the TV and browse 'whats new' on Netflix! Or GamePass. I'm sure it's great for people with oodles of free time, but I find that a very limited resource.

26904.png
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Gamepass is a quality service - I got a new PC recently and I already have 15 games installed on it that are through Gamepass, and there were certainly more that I'm interested in but will wait on until I've worked through some of these.

But it isn't revolutionary in any way, and it's not doing anything to change how I game or how I make purchasing decisions or anything like that. It's basically GameTap 2.0. And that's great - I loved GameTap! But GameTap showed up 15 years ago in a very similar form to Gamepass, failed to set the world on fire, and changed so much in less than 4 years that I gave up on it (even though it somehow limped along until 2015, apparently).

It's a fun thing to sign up for for a few months at a time, play a bunch of games, and then let it lapse for a while before repeating. And a great value when doing so.

It's literally the only feature I find that Xbox > PS4 this generation. Tired a bunch of games I would never have given a 2nd look at. Played probably 100 hours of slay the spire using it!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I want to own my games. Stuff like game pass is nice to try something out, but anything I’m really interested in I want a proper physical copy of that is mine.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I want to own my games. Stuff like game pass is nice to try something out, but anything I’m really interested in I want a proper physical copy of that is mine.

You can still buy a game you like that you played on Game Pass, nothing to stop you.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

You can still buy a game you like that you played on Game Pass, nothing to stop you.

Did I imply that was not the case?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I'm the same way (I suspect many people would be surprised at my skeptical view of Game Pass, even after studying it thoroughly). I still buy games....which, ironically, is actually another thing that benefits from Game Pass: permanent purchases are all discounted to varying degrees from the Game Pass Library.

Except, of course, this doesn't extend to physical copies. As with all digital store discounts.

So it's not as good (I also favor physical copies).

EDIT: But, on the bright side, Xbox now has the only BC program that actually supports legacy physical media, even if they are only keys. As oppose to PSNow, which is sort of the strange Frankenstein's monster of Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Game Streaming, and the BC program, has performance issues and is also semi-dead.

Synthesis on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, being able to put in my Xbox copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta or Mercenaries and have it play is pretty amazing.

edited July 2020
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Yeah, being able to put in my Xbox copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta or Mercenaries and have it play is pretty amazing.

Games actually looking better--Ninja Gaiden Black looks like it could be a 3-year-old small budget game with oddly detailed but low resolution FMV--is pretty shocking. They literally never looked like this. When I play Xbox games on my Xbox 360, or PS2 games on my PS3 before the thing started groaning every time it turned on, I adapted myself to "Well, it's going to look a little odd, but at least I can play them. I can't do that on hardware that's dead and/or doesn't have HDMI out." The x9-pixel count that is "default" on Xbox games on Xbox One X is shocking, even if it doesn't always work well (NGB has high-resolution HUD elements, Mercenaries does not), and I've never really run into a circumstance where I wish I could turn it off (though that might be a good feature to have).

It's a shame Microsoft hit the breaks at only 40 original Xbox games (and ~600 Xbox 360 games), though they reserve the option to continue--the enthusiasm for HDR patches to games years literally two console generations before the HDR standard (Fusion Frenzy in this case) will have mixed artistic pay-offs but is encouraging for interest.

Synthesis on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I got a lot of value out of the time I had Game Pass. Played through Outer Worlds, most of Opus Magnum until I hit a wall, enough of Dead Cells to know I don't like that game, enough of Bloodstained to know I don't like that game, and enough of Wargroove to get bored of it. Saved a fair bit of money.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    It's a valuable/dangerous trap for me. My core problem is that most games are too long, so I lose interest, combined with a strong distaste to waste money on something not finished. So, great, I'll save money! Not so great, I'll probably flit around to different games even more frequently and finish even fewer games. I did that with my one month on PS Now. Netflix is very different in that any given viewing decision, especially since I prefer movies, has such low stakes.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Finishing games isn't inherently virtuous, especially if you sunk zero cost into them. Ceasing to play something that you're not interested in any longer is a better use of your time, feel good about doing that.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's hard not to feel it's wasteful though. It's one thing to say "I'm not having fun with this, I'm going to stop". It's another to be enjoying something, stop for whatever reason, and then... not pick it back up again. Moreso when the reason you stopped is because you bought and started playing another game. You're enjoying this really good prime rib, then halfway through you see this pepperoni pizza and start eating it, then in the middle of that see some roasted chicken... and so on and so on.

What can really feel wasteful is if you buy a game at launch for full price, put it down, and by the time you actually go back to it, realize it's had a huge price drop since then. Bonus points if it's been so long since you last played, you don't remember anything and restart from the beginning.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Games actually looking better--Ninja Gaiden Black looks like it could be a 3-year-old small budget game with oddly detailed but low resolution FMV--is pretty shocking. They literally never looked like this. When I play Xbox games on my Xbox 360, or PS2 games on my PS3 before the thing started groaning every time it turned on, I adapted myself to "Well, it's going to look a little odd, but at least I can play them. I can't do that on hardware that's dead and/or doesn't have HDMI out." The x9-pixel count that is "default" on Xbox games on Xbox One X is shocking, even if it doesn't always work well (NGB has high-resolution HUD elements, Mercenaries does not), and I've never really run into a circumstance where I wish I could turn it off (though that might be a good feature to have).

It's a shame Microsoft hit the breaks at only 40 original Xbox games (and ~600 Xbox 360 games), though they reserve the option to continue--the enthusiasm for HDR patches to games years literally two console generations before the HDR standard (Fusion Frenzy in this case) will have mixed artistic pay-offs but is encouraging for interest.

I believe they said they stopped because they were needing to build in the backwards compatibility they had already given to the Xbox One into the Xbox Series X. I believe Phil said that their backwards compatibility team would take a break on working on new titles and focus on getting them going on the new system. It seemed to be implied that once that was completed, they would start work again on more 360 and OXbox games, though only for the Series X.

Found the post on the Xbox blog, but it’s by Jason Ronald - just as good though. https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/10/e3-2019-whats-next-xbox-backward-compatibility/

They more than imply that they will be continuing the BC on other platforms, so I’m thinking that once the Series X launches, we’ll start seeing more BC titles start to come out as well.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Finishing games isn't inherently virtuous, especially if you sunk zero cost into them. Ceasing to play something that you're not interested in any longer is a better use of your time, feel good about doing that.

Oh sure! But, that's a tough thing for me to get over. I might very well become more comfortable with that using GamePass, but I have no idea. It's a huge reason why I'm suddenly considering the Xbox when I was sure I'd go PS5, although that's weighed heavily against whether my PS4 will survive another year.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's hard not to feel it's wasteful though. It's one thing to say "I'm not having fun with this, I'm going to stop". It's another to be enjoying something, stop for whatever reason, and then... not pick it back up again. Moreso when the reason you stopped is because you bought and started playing another game. You're enjoying this really good prime rib, then halfway through you see this pepperoni pizza and start eating it, then in the middle of that see some roasted chicken... and so on and so on.

What can really feel wasteful is if you buy a game at launch for full price, put it down, and by the time you actually go back to it, realize it's had a huge price drop since then. Bonus points if it's been so long since you last played, you don't remember anything and restart from the beginning.

That's what I meant in the context of Gamepass. If you buy each new game at $60 and play for 5 to 10 hours (out of a possible 20 to 40), yeah you might want to rethink a bit. Perhaps buy the new games from 6 to 10 months ago at half the price or less and play them as you'd like. Or play stuff on Gamepass for a much lower buy in price with no downside to switching from one game to another.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

It’s like I’m looking in a mirror !

My favourite is buying a game, enjoy it, get distracted, then a year or two later see the season pass on sale, buy it, then start the game over and play through it all in one go, all the while thinking “With hindsight, buying this on launch day was not necessary in the slightest”.

Most recently I did this with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

I’ve been a lot better this year, though, with no day one purchases, and no full price games. Between Gamepass and lots of sales, I’ve managed to resist paying full price for anything. I think Cyberpunk might be my only full price game purchase this year.

Of course, I’ll be playing it on a new console, which bumps the price up slightly...

I believe they said they stopped because they were needing to build in the backwards compatibility they had already given to the Xbox One into the Xbox Series X. I believe Phil said that their backwards compatibility team would take a break on working on new titles and focus on getting them going on the new system. It seemed to be implied that once that was completed, they would start work again on more 360 and OXbox games, though only for the Series X.

Found the post on the Xbox blog, but it’s by Jason Ronald - just as good though. https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/10/e3-2019-whats-next-xbox-backward-compatibility/

They more than imply that they will be continuing the BC on other platforms, so I’m thinking that once the Series X launches, we’ll start seeing more BC titles start to come out as well.

Here's hoping. I don't just talk about Backwards Compatibility out of some reflexive self-loathing for Sony's decision to kill it off and replace it with something and then kill it off. I genuinely think it's an amazing feature I want everywhere possible. It's the most exciting part of the PS5 for me, personally, even considering my Playstation 4 library isn't really framerate-limited. The libraries of 10 to 20 years ago are basically my teary-eyed Nintendo nostalgia bank (even though I was actually around for the Super Famicom life cycle), and just like with Nintendo, I get irrationally excited about the chance to replay those childhood memories the (inaccurate) way I remember them.

Also, I'm a cheapskate, so I don't want to buy my library again after neatly preserving them a DVD box for +15 years.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I saw headlines yesterday reporting that Sony is planning on a short shelf life, about 5 years I guess.
    I mention this because I am also a cheapskate and it irks me just a bit.

EDIT: The article, if you're interested

chromdom on
    chromdom wrote: »
    I saw headlines yesterday reporting that Sony is planning on a short shelf life, about 5 years I guess.
    I mention this because I am also a cheapskate and it irks me just a bit.

The context of that seems very circumstantial.

Also, 5 years for a console technology cycle isn't terrible. The Playstation 3 launched at the end of 2006, and the Playstation 4 in the end of 2013. Which...admittedly is two years longer, but that was a long generation and with adoption of non-stupid of BC isn't as dire a situation as previously. The uber-successful PS2 ran for a year shorter before the PS3's launch.

I wouldn't be surprised if the upgraded PS5P ("Psuphu") console is announced after a couple years. And we'll obviously have revisions of the PS5 model we've already seen revealed that will shrink it down a bit.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i think part of the problem with BC stuff for the playstation is that there are a ton of games that were great during their time, but would just be total ass to play now. early 3d graphics just dont age nearly as well as sprites or 2d games in general. i think that's where a lot of nintendos backwards compatibility strength come from. they pull from the nes, snes, and gameboy, and only port the really popular 3d games like ocarina of time. while i think there are just a few specific early games from playstation and xbox that people would want access to again. being able to play my ps4 games with a SSD will be amazing, but im not going to be too butthurt if i cant play through ps1/2 games. the ones i would want to play (final fantasy) are already ported to a bunch of things already anyway.

i would love a convenient way to play some snes games though without shelling out $200 for a snes classic, or like $400+ for a switch...

I judge my home consoles by whether or not I can pop in a disc of Hulk Ultimate Destruction and start smashing

I judge my home consoles by whether or not I can pop in a disc of Hulk Ultimate Destruction and start smashing

You mean "gently carry a stolen piece of machinery back to home base while helicopters try to blow it up, because that's what we want in a Hulk game"?

actually apart from that level ultimate destruction is one of the best games ever. but I needed to snark.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    i think part of the problem with BC stuff for the playstation is that there are a ton of games that were great during their time, but would just be total ass to play now. early 3d graphics just dont age nearly as well as sprites or 2d games in general. i think that's where a lot of nintendos backwards compatibility strength come from. they pull from the nes, snes, and gameboy, and only port the really popular 3d games like ocarina of time. while i think there are just a few specific early games from playstation and xbox that people would want access to again. being able to play my ps4 games with a SSD will be amazing, but im not going to be too butthurt if i cant play through ps1/2 games. the ones i would want to play (final fantasy) are already ported to a bunch of things already anyway.

i would love a convenient way to play some snes games though without shelling out $200 for a snes classic, or like $400+ for a switch...

Unlike the first set of shaky-ass stuttery 3D games on the Playstation 1, the first Xbox and Playstation 2 with 3D engines translate well-enough to 1080p and even +1080p resolutions, allowing for their typically sub-HD 2D UI elements (this is why Ninja Gaiden Black is fantastic for an almost 15-year-old game). They are by no means perfect, look at Mercenaries or Panzer Dragoon Orta, but imperfect certainly beats "none at all." This the separate of the consideration that most Playstation 2 games, like most Playstation 3 games and most Playstation 4 games and most Super Nintendo games, are not necessarily worth returning to because most games, in general, are not worth returning too. It's the capability of returning to them that is so desirable, especially when reproducing a relatively accurate (or at least passable) SNES experience with virtually every single game on that library is so easy it can be done on your phone.

The same certainly can't be said about PS2 or original Xbox games. That's what makes that feature so valuable.
    chromdom wrote: »
    EDIT: The article, if you're interested

Hmm, well, I guess that's the usual pre-console launch rumor mill in play. I don't think 5 years is that bad, and let's face it, Sony could very easily end up in another financial situation where one too many overpriced smartphones or overpriced film franchises leave it up to a blockbuster Playstation console to bail the rest of the company out. So they have an potential incentive. But that aside, even if it turns out to be true I don't think it's that that serious so much as Sony just generally planning out how they want the generation to progress. Any number of things could end up extending that five years.

Also, the article is a great reminder of the "units sold" versus "units shipped" shenanigans Sony used to engage in during the Playstation 3 era and earlier. :lol:

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'd say five years is pretty bugnuts crazy, especially since fewer and fewer people can even perceive a real difference between generations as it is. That's likely why the length of generations has been getting longer and longer. The metric now isn't technological improvement, but how well the current generation is projected to keep moving hardware in decent numbers.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'd say five years is pretty bugnuts crazy, especially since fewer and fewer people can even perceive a real difference between generations as it is. That's likely why the length of generations has been getting longer and longer. The metric now isn't technological improvement, but how well the current generation is projected to keep moving hardware in decent numbers.

At 5 years (and assuming 500 dollar price) it's pretty good return on investment, paying 100 a year to play the newest games. Much more affordable than a comparable PC. Not to mention not everyone with a PS4 or Xbone will upgrade immediately. The shelf life of a console is longer than when they stop making it. They made a version of FIFA for the PS2 up until a few years ago.

In the end, shorter generations are better for the games industry but worse for the consumer, but really only the early adopters who gotta have it

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Microsoft sounds like they want to abandon generations altogether and just keep rolling incremental upgrades with years of transitional first-party support. Sony may want to do the same minus the whole transitional support thing and therefore still branding themselves as new generations without any real next gen leaps.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Unlike the first set of shaky-ass stuttery 3D games on the Playstation 1, the first Xbox and Playstation 2 with 3D engines translate well-enough to 1080p and even +1080p resolutions, allowing for their typically sub-HD 2D UI elements (this is why Ninja Gaiden Black is fantastic for an almost 15-year-old game). They are by no means perfect, look at Mercenaries or Panzer Dragoon Orta, but imperfect certainly beats "none at all." This the separate of the consideration that most Playstation 2 games, like most Playstation 3 games and most Playstation 4 games and most Super Nintendo games, are not necessarily worth returning to because most games, in general, are not worth returning too. It's the capability of returning to them that is so desirable, especially when reproducing a relatively accurate (or at least passable) SNES experience with virtually every single game on that library is so easy it can be done on your phone.

The same certainly can't be said about PS2 or original Xbox games. That's what makes that feature so valuable.

I agree with this about the PS2 and original Xbox games. The Final Fantasy 12 PS4 release did not really look that different from the original game. I know because I own both and before it was announced had actually started playing through it again on my PS2. Admittedly that was basically at the end of the life cycle and, in my opinion, one it the best looking games on the console but still. While I know it is forbidden to discuss here, the various non hardware based ways to play those games leave a lot to be desired and only work on a small number of games, at least last time I checked. I can't think of any reason, given the hardware disparity, that the ps5 does not have enough power to brute force emulate the average PS2 game. Whether or not Sony wants to invest in designing the software to do so seems much more debatable.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular

At 5 years (and assuming 500 dollar price) it's pretty good return on investment, paying 100 a year to play the newest games. Much more affordable than a comparable PC. Not to mention not everyone with a PS4 or Xbone will upgrade immediately. The shelf life of a console is longer than when they stop making it. They made a version of FIFA for the PS2 up until a few years ago.

In the end, shorter generations are better for the games industry but worse for the consumer, but really only the early adopters who gotta have it

I thought the time and money it takes to make modern AAA games was driving devs to push console manufacturers to stretch the console lifespans out as long as possible, which is why we saw enhanced versions of the consoles instead of entirely new consoles. I cant remember where I read that though.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

I thought the time and money it takes to make modern AAA games was driving devs to push console manufacturers to stretch the console lifespans out as long as possible, which is why we saw enhanced versions of the consoles instead of entirely new consoles. I cant remember where I read that though.

I think I saw that as well, but also can't remember where. On the surface it makes sense. In this generation you could release a game that looked great at 1080 but was mediocre at 4k because consoles are still the largest market. However now that both consoles will support true 4k, that means every game that is not a switch exclusive will need to look it's best at 4k. And since 4k is exponentially more pixels then 1080 costs have to go up. Personally I am all aboard the $70 or $80 game because I fucking loathe MTX bullshit. I would expect more developers to either create in house engines and actually reuse them, which doesn't seem to happen all that much, or license one of the big names already out there like unity and unreal. I don't really see any other way to keep costs from continuing to balloon except to reuse as much as you can between games.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I don't think a 5 year cycle will work out for them personally. Those sales expectations are just setting themselves up for disappointment as well.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I don't think a 5 year cycle will work out for them personally. Those sales expectations are just setting themselves up for disappointment as well.

this years holiday season being the lowest sales in years will kill those expectations too with everyone out of work.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

this years holiday season being the lowest sales in years will kill those expectations too with everyone out of work.

I agree with Piscatella at NPD, who said there's probably enough pent-up demand from enthusiasts for Sony and Microsoft to do well the first few months around launch. It's next year that will probably get rough. Especially if both are expensive as expected.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.