As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just saw a post saying LEGO is not going to release the Technic Osprey, due to its primary role as a military vehicle (even though the set was going to have SAR markings). Which.. I get. It's a military plane, albeit one that doesn't have a ton of offensive capability to my knowledge. And this wasn't going to be "Based on" -- it is a direct licensed model.

But obviously lots of upset/angry folks.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Just saw a post saying LEGO is not going to release the Technic Osprey, due to its primary role as a military vehicle (even though the set was going to have SAR markings). Which.. I get. It's a military plane, albeit one that doesn't have a ton of offensive capability to my knowledge. And this wasn't going to be "Based on" -- it is a direct licensed model.

But obviously lots of upset/angry folks.

Cancelling a product a couple of weeks before it would release (the date I saw was 8/1) is a bold move, one that certainly would cost LEGO a significant amount of money to do.

Googling for the set gives me an ad with a broken link to the page on the LEGO site, so seems like the report is accurate.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I imagine at most it's just not gonna be released in Germany? The thing is boxed and shipped out already, they're probably not gonna recall it.

Tho I did just see some speculation in the Eurobricks thread that they're just using the complaints as an excuse to delay for an error in the manual / design that makes the thing break. There's some early video reviews that have some dubious moments...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I imagine at most it's just not gonna be released in Germany? The thing is boxed and shipped out already, they're probably not gonna recall it.

Tho I did just see some speculation in the Eurobricks thread that they're just using the complaints as an excuse to delay for an error in the manual / design that makes the thing break. There's some early video reviews that have some dubious moments...

Hopefully this is the case and they'll bring it back out later. I was curious to see how it was going to be done.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    I caved, ordered the lego fossils set.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/dinosaur-fossils-21320

I just built this and I can verify it is a lot of fun. Also elicits delighted noises from 3-year-olds when complete.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I went ahead and got those Adventure Time and Midway level packs for Lego Dimensions. The Midway one came in today. That seems like a fun one.

From what I seen on YouTube. Lego Dimensions is an absurdly huge game.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shit! The Tantive IV got retired and I completely forgot about getting it. Already marked up online.

Well, fuck, if anyone happens upon one I'll take it.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I went ahead and got those Adventure Time and Midway level packs for Lego Dimensions. The Midway one came in today. That seems like a fun one.

From what I seen on YouTube. Lego Dimensions is an absurdly huge game.

I really like it - although it's been a while since I booted it up. I'm only missing the stupid exclusive figures they did (Green Lantern and Supergirl). The Sonic content was pretty fun too.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I didn't know these existed, kinda wish I still didn't lol.

*Selects pistol*
    *Selects wallet*

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I preordered the two Mandalorian sets way back when they first went up. For some reason the brick head set just shipped but not the actual ship set.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

I didn't know these existed, kinda wish I still didn't lol.

*Selects pistol*
    *Selects wallet*

My sister bought a second set of these so she could cook up a brachiosaurus, it's a cool kit.

• Options
    This thread motivated me to start up Lego Dimensions for the first time since I rebought the software on the XBOne (I switched from PS4 to XBOne a few years ago, so I had to buy a new disc and portal). I forgot how much fun it is - and if you have lots of figures handy you can spend far too much time going into nooks and crannies of each level using special abilities. The novelty of scanning in a Cyberman and Scooby-Doo in the same level to access new areas just never seems to wear off for me and the main story is pretty fun - so far at least.

I am sort of amazed in hindsight just how many weird vehicles there are that I wouldn't know who they belonged to if I didn't keep them organized. The LOTR characters came with some odd stuff, Bane has some weird drill cart, Batman's horse(?!) and the giant sandwich in the Scooby Pack are just weird choices to say nothing of the heavy Ninjago/Chimera representation. I had picked out a select group of about 32ish that are in a shadow box on my wall, but going back through the totes I'm really impressed at how much they released for the game.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Yeah. The scale of the game amazes me.

Do some characters unlock worlds or are all worlds unlocked? I know they unlock levels.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah did they squash this like... after it had finished production?
    Betsuni wrote: »

Hopefully this is the case and they'll bring it back out later. I was curious to see how it was going to be done.
    "The LEGO Technic Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey was designed to highlight the important role the aircraft plays in search and rescue efforts. While the set clearly depicts how a rescue version of the plane might look, the aircraft is only used by the military.

We have a long-standing policy not to create sets which feature real military vehicles, so it has been decided not to proceed with the launch of this product.

We appreciate that some fans who were looking forward to this set may be disappointed, but we believe it’s important to ensure that we uphold our brand values."
    https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/07/lego-helicopter-kit-cancelled-10-days-before-release/

Retailers who have already received stock of the now cancelled LEGO Technic 42113 Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey Helicopter set will be able to sell those products.

The LEGO Group has confirmed that retailers that have already received stock of LEGO Technic 42113 Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey Helicopter will be able to sell the set, but the stock will not be replenished. The set was announced to have been cancelled yesterday, just 10 days before its scheduled release.

The LEGO Group has shared the following comment:

For stock which is already in storerooms of retailers, they will be able to sell the set – we just wouldn’t be shipping any more copies.

For sets in our warehouses, we are currently working through our plans for the sets and will explore ways to reduce waste and reuse elements – that AFOLs are interested in them has been raised!

AFOLs will indeed be hoping that the parts, rather than go to waste, can be made useful to their clubs for displays.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/some-lego-technic-42113-bell-boeing-v-22-osprey-helicopter-sets-will-be-sold/

which in turn means...

rkCEYNE.jpg

lol

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Lego Dimensions coming out at the tail end of the toys to life boom, combined with being fairly expensive on top of normal lego prices, kind of doomed it. But man I always thought they did super well with it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Oh yeah. I am noticing the Lego Dimensions stuff is overpriced.

It is funny some level packs are just $20. The Portal one is.

• Options
    I am surprised no one is saying Ninjago is racist.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Shit, y'all.

Piano is coming August 1st.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/grand-piano-21323

Hope you've got three hundred and fifty dollars or their local equivalent lying around.

On the other hand it looks absolutely stunning, and you can connect a Powered-Up motor to connect it to your smartphone and have it move the keys along to the music that the Powered-Up app plays. Not clear to me if the Powered-Up motor is in the box or not, though.

EDIT: Oh, the page has this to say in the "Specifications" section:
    The LEGO® Ideas Grand Piano (21323) has a removable 25-key keyboard, authentic hammer action, moving dampers and pedal, and motor. Combined with the LEGO Powered Up app, you can play a tune yourself or automatically.
    So... does that mean the motor AND the hub are in there? Or just the motor? The hub is like $50 by itself, so if it's in there that explains part of the price.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. The scale of the game amazes me.

Do some characters unlock worlds or are all worlds unlocked? I know they unlock levels.

Not all worlds are unlocked, you have to have characters to go into them.

If I remember correctly the tiers are:
    Starter Set - unlocks the main story and worlds for Lego Movie, DC, LOTR
    Story Sets - these were the $40 big sets for Batman Movie, Fantastic Beasts, and (new) Ghostbusters. They are essentially short Lego games (and include access to those worlds to play in as well)
    Level Sets - these are the ones with 1 character & 2 vehicles in the box and let you into the world but also have a few story-driven levels to play throgh (BTTF, Original Ghostbusters, Portal 2)
    Fun Packs - these are the sets with just 1 character and vehicle and just let you into the world to play - so someone like Beetlejuice has a world to play in but no Level set, so no scripted story levels.
    Edit: Forgot there were also Team Packs which are essentially two Fun Packs smushed together (which is what Gremlins actually was)

I could be wrong, and I haven't tested it yet, but I think it works like you have to buy Venkman's level pack to play the Ghostbusters levels, but Slimer will allow you to enter the Ghostbusters world (just not play the levels). Again though, it's been awhile since I bought mine and I don't remember the oddball ones like will Robin unlock Teen Titans or will any Ghostbuster open all Ghostbuster worlds.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    They are going all in one these Lego For Adults sets like the piano. It is very cool but definitely not for me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgg61no1Hm4

the engineering in the piano is really impressive

• Options
    That is incredibly awesome.. but I am sliiiightly disappointed that the motor powered bit doesn't actually react to the song/play along. I know, I know... that means it would need actuation motors or something on every single key. but still!

• Options
    Sheesh, yeah that piano is awesome crazy for design.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Brothers Brick confirm that the hub + motor are in the box, so that's good.

It has two modes:
    - One where you can queue up a song on the app and then pressing any key on the piano will make the next note of the song play; the designers said that rigging the piano to produce the correct note when a key is pressed would be prohibitively complicated in a Lego set.
    - One where you can queue up a song on the app and the piano will "press" randomized keys while the song plays, so it'll look like the piano's playing itself but the keys won't match up with the music being played.

I have to admit that it's a little disappointing that the keys won't match the music, even in the self-playing-piano mode. I understand why - this model apparently weighs 4.4 of your human pounds already, even without more sophisticated machinery - but it's a bummer to be so close to "accurate" and still not get there.

It's also not clear to me if it can only play the songs included in the Powered Up app, or if you can queue up your own song, or what.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    It's also not clear to me if it can only play the songs included in the Powered Up app, or if you can queue up your own song, or what.

If I can't play the piano outro to Faith No More's "Epic" followed by the blowing up the model then what even is the point?

• Options
    Yeah they need a lego button sensor that's like a stud wide and could be set up in serial to trigger an electronic controller
    yctM9lF.png
    like that would actually be super useful for people doing technic/mindstorms stuff

but it would also be a very complex custom piece and wouldn't really fit in with classic lego at all

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    There's a playable piano in the Nintendo Labo kit. It relies on IR reflective stickers and the IR receiver in the Joycon.

They could replicate something like that in LEGO, but it would require a whole host of really expensive new bricks, I imagne.

If the Mindstorms kits still have IR sensors, you could jury-rig a simple piano, but it would be really limited in number of keys.

I'm sure someone will slap an arduino kit or something in there instead and get the whole thing running within a week of launch in any case.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

If I can't play the piano outro to Faith No More's "Epic" followed by the blowing up the model then what even is the point?

Sure, but what about the closing theme to the old "Incredible Hulk" show?

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    This piano is incredible. Having the key movement correspond to actual notes would have been really cool but I really don't mind. I just love how player pianos look when they're playing and I got the same feeling when I saw this set play by itself. The fallboard/keylid looks great, the piano bench is adjustable, the hammer action looks so cool and complex and you can remove it from the piano to get a closer look, and the pedals will lift the dampers like a sustain pedal! I haven't been this excited about a LEGO set since the Saturn V rocket and Lunar Lander.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Pulled the trigger on the Treehouse (backorder) to get the micro gingerbread house since I'm slowly building a christmas village but I'm probably going to skip the gingerbread house, plus whatever else they give me since there are several overlapping offers today and I also had a VIP code from a couple weeks back for the large brick sculpture.

So that's my lego purchase for the year...until black friday shenanagins or assembly square is put on the chopping block.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Built the Spy Hunter car and Defender arcade machine in the Lego Dimensions Gamer Kid pack. I got the medal in Spy Hunter and stopped. It was getting late.

• Options
    I still need to build the Batmobile in Dimensions. I was too lazy.

• Options
    Holy cow.

I have never seen more than the first episode of Game of Thrones.

That said, this is by FAR the most impressive Mega Blox/Construx dragon I own.

It's likely the most "realistic" looking, and I absolutely love the way the cloth wings turned out. It can balance itself pretty well on some pretty beefy joints.

Here it is with my almost my entire collection of Blox dragons. I got my first one in like 2001/2002 or so, at the K-mart in the next town over.

ZlA2dqxl.jpg

pq6qllPl.jpg

4inOMThl.jpg

q2DtM7Pl.jpg

Seriously. Cloth wings for life. The only way they'd be better is if they were printed on both sides, and I'm sure some kind of crazy person has bought 2 of the kits to try and make that a reality.

• Options
    Me: Boy the world sure has changed since I preordered the Mandalorian Lego. I’m not sure they’ll hold the same appeal once I finally get them.

Also Me holding Brickhead Baby Yoda: This is the cutest thing Lego has ever done.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNaorEFRXtE

dang i know as a hasbro property this can't ever be an official set

but this really should be an official set

• Options
    Yeah it sucks that the Chinese companies licensed the Transformers brand. I'd love real Lego pieces to make them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah it sucks that the Chinese companies licensed the Transformers brand. I'd love real Lego pieces to make them.

akgrq0769pis.png

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

akgrq0769pis.png

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

China has a few of these Lego like companies having licensed Transformer kits over there. The one that Brolo posted is not one of them, but there are others that are licensed.

I didn't know KRE-O was a Hasbro marketed company. Good to know another reason why we'll never see Transformers Legos here.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'd rather like to see an example of these licensed Transformer kits that aren't Kre-O, considering that Kre-O is marketed and sold in Asian markets as well, and in fact has China-specific property licenses.

• Options
    By the way, in case y'all haven't seen, Brickset has a pretty thorough review of the Lego NES. I think that part of the fun of building a Lego set is seeing the model take shape as you build it for the first time, so this obviously has spoilers for that as they show some build-in-progress photos:
    https://brickset.com/article/52670/review-71374-nintendo-entertainment-system

Some really neat build techniques in there. I especially like
    the little World 1-2 warp zone vignette hidden inside the NES case

This discussion has been closed.