As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Those of you who hit lvl 80 last time: did you do any more beyond getting your 15 wins and doing quests/whatever?
    I did the daily quests and the weekly ones and got there with a few days to spare.

I also played in the Historic Shake-up event, which coughed up a level if you managed a single win.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Been enjoying Jumpstart a good amount, but this was the saddest strugglebus of a combo yet:

ww2zxil96n15.jpg

Just a bunch of mid-tier draft commons with easily disrupted synergies and Tiny Bones. I think it took 7 matches to get my 2 wins and retire.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Been enjoying Jumpstart a good amount, but this was the saddest strugglebus of a combo yet:

ww2zxil96n15.jpg

Just a bunch of mid-tier draft commons with easily disrupted synergies and Tiny Bones. I think it took 7 matches to get my 2 wins and retire.

I got Dragons Spellcasting earlier and it was also a real fight to get anything done. For a pack called "Spellcasting" that thing is remarkably creature-heavy.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I stumbled on a mono black aggro list that I'm tweaking and it's doing.....okay...in Bo1 unranked. At this point I'm farming quests but I'm changing the list as I go.

I'm trying to decide if I want to burn wildcards on Archfiend's Vessel if I have minimal graveyard shenanigans, or do I burn even more wildcards for Call of the Death Dweller and Grim Menagerie (I have one of each to test out).

• Options
    It feels like you want one of the "Iconic Creature" packs (Dragons, Angels, etc...), as they tend to yield a good density of playables across the curve alongside absolute bombs, and then pair that with a Utility pack (like Phyrexian) or Aggression (like Legion).

Garruk + Phyrexian has been the strongest pairing so far.

• Options
    Is there any sort of tier list for Jumpstart? Or good combos?

• Options
    It feels like you want one of the "Iconic Creature" packs (Dragons, Angels, etc...), as they tend to yield a good density of playables across the curve alongside absolute bombs, and then pair that with a Utility pack (like Phyrexian) or Aggression (like Legion).

Two "mythic" packs better be dumb.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Is this to say that Garruk + Phyrexian are more rare than other packs, or that they guarantee Mythics? I feel like I see Phyrexian a lot and nothing about it screams "overpowered", but I suppose Garruk must always get Garruk?

metaghost on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Oooooor.... People are just playing Magic instead of posting here!

I am having fun with the deck that you posted nexuscrawler
    I don't have bonecrusher giants for some reason so I used Legion Warbosses to replace those cards.

This deck really beats on slowish deck strategies it feels like. I have yet to face rdw though.

Board wipes hurt but I find i can usually outpace standard RDW. Not to mention if you get Tajic/Enforcer on the board your creatures are effectively immune to RDW

I was debating some Legion Bosses to give a hasted options for Winota to trigger. Really if she triggers more than once on a turn you almost always win.

• Options
    So I heard this morning that the most recent PT / event had 72% Reclamation of some form.

I've been in and out of the MTG scene the past 12 years or so, but the last time I can remember this dominant of a deck type in Standard was back when Jund and then Caw Blade were everywhere.

Do you think there will be another round of bans to pull the meta back, or is there enough deck type counters and more people have to play them?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I heard this morning that the most recent PT / event had 72% Reclamation of some form.

I've been in and out of the MTG scene the past 12 years or so, but the last time I can remember this dominant of a deck type in Standard was back when Jund and then Caw Blade were everywhere.

Do you think there will be another round of bans to pull the meta back, or is there enough deck type counters and more people have to play them?

It's only 54%, though if you add Bant Ramp it's 65% Growth Spiral decks.

The bigger question to me is not whether it'll solve itself but whether we're close enough to Zendikar Rising (two months) that they don't see it worthwhile to shake things up now. The PT Finals are the last big event of the format, so it seems like if they were going to drop another big ban it would've happened after PT4.

• Options

Is this to say that Garruk + Phyrexian are more rare than other packs, or that they guarantee Mythics? I feel like I see Phyrexian a lot and nothing about it screams "overpowered", but I suppose Garruk must always get Garruk?

They are more rare, with no variations.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Does Fate Unraveler hit all opponents? Black Vise's revised wording has me questioning even though it seems obvious it does.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Does Fate Unraveler hit all opponents? Black Vise's revised wording has me questioning even though it seems obvious it does.

Yes.

Black Vise originally read "target opponent" so its revised wording is consistent with the original, just more clear.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular

The last several sets have each been one of the least diverse metas in Magic’s history. Throne of Eldrain had simic food and led to the Bannings of oko, once upon a time and summer’s veil. Ikoria had companions and lukka fires which led to the banning of fires/agent and the first ever power level errata. M21 temur rec is slightly better than the 70+% that simic food was pulling and there are a few decks than specifically target it that can take advantage of how it builds for the mirror. The play design team has not had a good year which is really odd considering last standards were considered the best it’s ever been.

Play other formats if you can right now.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Wilderness Reclamation is a really badly designed card like Nexus of Fate

its like it was designed to trash the meta

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I came back to try out jumpstart.

Tried out 4 different deck combos. 1 was crappy, 2 were about 50/50 wins decks, and the good one: Counters/Basri got me 3 wins in a row very easily. Should have kept it.

navgoose on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Tried another Jumpstart as well. Predatory Counters. It did a lot better than the Devils & Angels deck, at least. Although I suppose I haven't played enough of either deck to be able to tell for sure.

Even tried a few games of Ranked. I'm all the way down in the lowest of the Bronze tiers. Surely there my severely limited card pool and janky "builds" will be less of a handicap.

First game was against a Growth Spiral/Uro/Hydroid Krasis deck.

*sigh*

Well... at least it wasn't Teferi.

Now, in fairness, second game was against a Mentor Boros deck my monowhite nonsense actually prevailed against, but still. Not a very inviting welcome back to Ranked, you know?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Yes.

Black Vise originally read "target opponent" so its revised wording is consistent with the original, just more clear.

Not that I disagree with your answer, but Black Vise originally read "If Opponent". 50 people are all my "opponent"! But alas.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Yes.

Not that I disagree with your answer, but Black Vise originally read "If Opponent". 50 people are all my "opponent"! But alas.

Unfortunately the most recent printing of a card trumps any previous version. This is why Loxodon Warhammer actually grants "lifelink" while every other card with the old version (printed prior to Future Sight) still has a triggered ability that has to resolve before you gain the life; the 10th Edition printing of Warhammer was updated to actually have lifelink.

In the case of Black Vise, the 4th Edition wording targets your opponent.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I bought into another jumpstart event. After the slow slog that was the teferi Liliana mix that focused on discard and mill I got Cats: heavily armored. The cats heavily armored mix is a cats aggro and +1/+1 package that has a lot of synergy and had a lot more fun to play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Teferi Liliana seems like a pretty unbeatable control deck though, ngl

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Wilderness Reclamation is a really badly designed card like Nexus of Fate

its like it was designed to trash the meta

If they had just worded the ability like Prophet of Kruphix or Seedborn Muse then it would have been more reasonable and done (probably) what they wanted, which was to give you untapped lands during your opponent's turn. Making it a triggered ability that goes on the stack is what broke it into "double your mana for instants" territory.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I think they should consider taking advantage of the digital nature of arena to shape decks towards more variety somehow? Like, they could keep track of the cards people are playing all the time, and cards which are always present with 4 copies in the deck and somehow auto limit them in a special format? Call it 'Evolving standard' or something.

Evolving standard would start out the same as normal standard, BUT, every deck records the day it was created on, and only lasts 7 days from the day it was created, before it just turns into a normal standard deck. In evolving standard, the game would keep track of wins, and card content of decks and if ever a card was uniformly present in a wide variety of decks, especially if those decks always won, then the maximum number of it you could have would go down if you made a deck on the next 'day'

Lets imagine there are these cards

Llanowar Elf
    Grizzly Bear
    Force of Nature
    Giant Growth
    Giant Spider
    Healing Hawk
    Serra Angel
    Holy Strength

Initially, on day 1 you'd be allowed to have 4 of any of them. However, if it turned out that on day 1 75% of the decks looked like this

4*Healing Hawk
    4*Holy Strength
    4*Giant Growth

or

4*Healing Hawk
    4*Serra Angel
    4*Giant Growth

And the system found that two things were true

75% of decks contained 4/4 giant growths
    Decks containing 4/4 giant growths won 50% more than those which didn't

Then on day 2, decks you made that day would only be allowed 3 giant growths. And if people kept on including giant growths, and the giant growths kept on making them more likely to win, then giant growths might be completely banned by day 5, and would stay banned (due to the old decks from days 1-4) until day 12 when their numbers would start going back up again (because they aren't allowed in any decks any more, so they can't make the decks win)

Effectively its a format which gradually auto bans anything which seems to be always making people win, or anything which everyone is playing, but ESPESCIALLY if both those things are true at once. Not forever, but, I think it might be a cool little extra thing that you can only do in MTGA.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    They already hold "Standard Shakeup" events fairly often.

• Options
    They already hold "Standard Shakeup" events fairly often.

Yes, but I'd like to play "Kill the winners" as a format all the time. Like, rather than click on "Play a standard match", and have yet another deck which is copied from a website I'd like to play against a card set which is continually forced to change.

• Options
    It's a very interesting idea, just hard to balance the coding investment with the payoff, and since by design it needs to run for weeks or longer to work it creates another division in the player-base. Then what do you do if/when it creates a better format than standard? XD

(I'm guessing what would actually happen is you'd see it degenerate until enough cards had been removed it was a weird bad block format, but that'd take a while.)

• Options
    It's a very interesting idea, just hard to balance the coding investment with the payoff, and since by design it needs to run for weeks or longer to work it creates another division in the player-base. Then what do you do if/when it creates a better format than standard? XD

(I'm guessing what would actually happen is you'd see it degenerate until enough cards had been removed it was a weird bad block format, but that'd take a while.)

The reason I think it might be interesting is that at lower levels in it, where people are just engaged in muck about play with weird and wacky decks, most decks would be legal in "Evolving Standard" AND "Standard" at the same time, so your evolving standard queue could often pull people in from the standard queue at lower levels. I'd also want cards to come back if you see what I mean, after all the decks which 'were allowed' to be built with them before they were banned were removed from the cycle, clearly those cards couldn't win or be included in every deck any more, so they would start to come back

But yes, breaking up the queues could be annoying. Multiqueue would be the answer to that though :)

To me it would seem to fundamentally make a different style of play than standard. Much harder to 'solve' for the strongest deck, because the strongest deck you can make today is not the same as the strongest deck you could make yesterday. You've only got 1 day with that instance of the format before it changes, and every piece you use to solve it that day is at risk of being taken away from you tomorrow. Combo pieces which made something unbeatable might fade away, leaving you only with one part of the combo, can you rebuild it in another way? And so on. It's not such a neat and clean puzzle as Standard is, which some people wouldn't like, but every day is a bit different which some people definately would.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Sounds like it would be under-populated because who's going to have a playset of all the powerful rares/mythics to rotate through.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for them to ban the new Ugin. What a broken card.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Sort of want to make the artifact planeswalker-hate deck starring the M21 manticore, but I'd need a set of the overseers, and they're rotating soon.

discrider on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

New Ugin is not that bad. Old Ugin is the real awful one. May as well just say “win the game”

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

New Ugin is not that bad. Old Ugin is the real awful one. May as well just say “win the game”

Probably means Old Ugin, as it was reprinted in M21.

• Options

I can handle Old Ugin. He takes a while to win the game, so you have a chance to do something about him. New Ugin completely wrecks you the moment he hits the board. He's a better Planar Cleansing than Planar Cleansing. Your opponent doesn't get any death triggers and you get to keep Ugin on the board. And he's colorless.

I mainly play in the Play queue and I've started to quit against Simic players because the chances of meeting Ugin are too high. My decks - that depend on having a board state - can't win against him. You can't even add removal to your deck, because you don't get a chance to play it before Ugin activates.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I decided to add a one-of Fabled Passage to my Cycling deck as a way to mitigate bad draw sequences. It works surprisingly well.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular

I can handle Old Ugin. He takes a while to win the game, so you have a chance to do something about him. New Ugin completely wrecks you the moment he hits the board. He's a better Planar Cleansing than Planar Cleansing. Your opponent doesn't get any death triggers and you get to keep Ugin on the board. And he's colorless.

I mainly play in the Play queue and I've started to quit against Simic players because the chances of meeting Ugin are too high. My decks - that depend on having a board state - can't win against him. You can't even add removal to your deck, because you don't get a chance to play it before Ugin activates.

The new Ugin you're talking about is old Ugin. Ugin, The Spirit Dragon is a reprint. "New" Ugin is the 6-mana Ugin, the Ineffable.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Ah, ok. I haven't been playing long enough to see him before. So I thought he was new. But if he's a reprint, then the chances of him getting banned are probably low :(

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If something's going to get banned it's not the 8-mana topper, it's the cards that let you get the 8-mana topper in on turn 4. The power of G/U ramp is the problem.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Easy fix, print Aven Mindcensor into Standard.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    The only "ramp" card that searches a library is Fabled Passage...