As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

OghulkOghulk Tinychat JanitorTinychatRegistered User regular
Think I'm like 10 weeks into working for local government. It's gone well. Boss just told me I did a really good job creating allocations from the CARES Act for the government and forecasting out expenses. Just finished the fiscal year budget and will get published this week. Next thing is to have two items be passed by the voting body and then I'll have done quite a lot of the different "normal" duties of this job. Good thing I already have project ideas for bettering government!

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH-i8IvYIcg

Man, talking about Blink 182 in the context of the last job thread got this stupid song stuck in my head.

Suffer with me.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    at 3pm I finally finished the thing I thought I would finish by 11am
    not unrelated, I'm some kind of savant at accidentally coding two bugs that almost but not quite cancel each other out. Like people should make a pilgrimage to learn at my feet on this stuff
    anyway I guess now I have to do the remaining six hours of work that I wanted to get done today and then I need to go to bed early because i have a 7am meeting tomorrow

remind me, when do you get to retire again

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Writing an important project proposal whilst trying to push through The Big Sads.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Writing an important project proposal whilst trying to push through The Big Sads.

Hey man the sads suck and you'll get through it!

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Cool...IT just pushed some kind of network monitoring sniffing software to everyone's computer that supposedly looks at your entire network and catalogues which devices are connecting to it. This causes the predictable stink in the work slack which gets proverbial gasoline thrown on the pyre when a senior member from Cyber Security replies that they were not made aware of this and to provide all details of said app that was pushed. Fuuun times!

I spent the last hour of my day writing a tabletop story because I'd already finished my daily work and I work from home so I might as well just leave the laptop on instead of leaving the office early

Tube wrote: »

that's the worst time to attempt to give a shit about anything that isn't being sad. :bro:

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Found it: Etsy - Elevating Douchebaggery to New and Dizzying Heights

Another post in the same series detailing the February 2019 "bill payment error" that took millions of dollars from buyers and sellers: Selling on Etsy - The Long, Rattling Death March

(I'm not saying I believe their conclusions, necessarily - I haven't done the research - but in any case, 1) it's entertaining, and 2) whether Etsy is an actual criminal enterprise or just staggeringly incompetent doesn't matter a whole lot when you've been charged thousands of dollars you don't owe and your bank is demanding to know what's up.)

yeah I'm sure most of the individual people employed by Etsy are great and above board, but the company has some serious issues even if they're not actually a front for something more competent and nefarious.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    @QuantumTurk
    No worries. I'm mostly just in a "vent anxiety at any moment" mode today, so I probably answered more frantically than necessary. It's all just A Lot.

edited July 2020
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    QuantumTurk
    No worries. I'm mostly just in a "vent anxiety at any moment" mode today, so I probably answered more frantically than necessary. It's all just A Lot.

I dunno how it's gonna work in the US and it will probably be a very special county-by-county shitshow, but in other places which have reopened the school absolutely has the info on which students and teachers have tested positive because they need it to ensure good contact tracing and make sure they alert everyone who may need to be tested, though individual teachers may or may not have access to all the info. But in those places, staff should at least be able to find out the net numbers without violating privacy.

edit: sorry, didn't mean to batsignal

tynic on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    @QuantumTurk

You have more than fulsome reasons to vent. Yell away.

My system was bafflingly cagey when the first covid cases went into quarantine. We just kept getting emails that this branch was closing early for "administrative reasons" without coming out and saying that someone had come up positive and half the staff was waiting on test results to come back to work.

I suspect that most HR departments don't actually know how HIPPA works and just swerve violently away from possible violations to the point of complete madness.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Fuckin', most doctor's offices don't even know how HIPAA works. Ask tynic or bowen.

Jedoc wrote: »
    My system was bafflingly cagey when the first covid cases went into quarantine. We just kept getting emails that this branch was closing early for "administrative reasons" without coming out and saying that someone had come up positive and half the staff was waiting on test results to come back to work.

I suspect that most HR departments don't actually know how HIPPA works and just swerve violently away from possible violations to the point of complete madness.

yeah my first reaction was "oh I'm sure that data would be relatively easy to expose without violating anyone's privacy" and then I thought about how the US has handled literally any aspect of this pandemic and went "actually n/m"

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Soooooo...

I got the job-ish

I got moved to two downtown locations, but one of them the person in charge of it is out on maternity leave. And they haven't talked to her about moving her. So I am in limbo for 3 months running everything without the real authority/job title/official capacity of running everything.

Could be worse though. Moxs boarding house is right in between the two so once the plague settles down, I'll be able to hang out at my favorite place much more often.

And then one of the places the guy who was in charge before said everything was great and there'd only be minor tweaks I'd need to work on. This is day two, nothing has stopped being on fire.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    re: submarine numbers
    The most baffling thing I've heard is how Greek people list off 10-digit phone numbers. They randomly give you 1-, 2- or 3- digit groupings.

BlazeFire on

I learned today that one of the departments (not mine, thank god) has a quarter of its workforce end up infected with COVID. No one's died or hospitalized yet there, but like jesus fuck they need to get their house in order.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Fuckin', most doctor's offices don't even know how HIPAA works. Ask tynic or bowen.

I've been told, more than once and by different places, that I can't see MY OWN medical records because it would violate HIPAA.

No. That is the exact opposite of what HIPAA says.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I do not yet have a job, but this song is forever relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjPhzgxe3L0

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    re: submarine numbers
    The most baffling thing I've heard is how Greek people list off 10-digit phone numbers. They randomly give you 1-, 2- or 3- digit groupings.

That should be so many kinds of illegal

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Whereas if a kiwi person saw that zip code posted earlier 20009, we'd read it out like, "2, double zero, double zero, 9".

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    But that's four zeroes

No it counts the zero in the middle twice, one for the first double zero and again for the

I don't know.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH-i8IvYIcg

Man, talking about Blink 182 in the context of the last job thread got this stupid song stuck in my head.

Suffer with me.

I remember listening to this on repeat for at least a week. Thanks. :)

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    ALL THE
    SMALL THINGS

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    But that's four zeroes

It could also just be that I'm blurry eyes and added in a zero.

In the actual case of there being only three zeroes, it would be read "two, triple zero, nine"

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Oops, clicked the bookmark button before reading the thread again

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    More of a Linkin' Park sort of person

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I had to sit on hold with fucking dominos for half an hour because somebody couldn't be bothered to turn in all their receipts.

Wait, was it more or less than thirty minutes? Because if it was more, that hold session should be free.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Jedochico-

Gonna start using this to describe management and directorial positions

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I love that line and am so glad that page exists

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Okay I know we often make jokes like "I read that and had to have a lie down" but honestly that sentence lodged itself in my consciousness so hard that I just stared at the wall with my mouth fully agape for at least 30 seconds before I could process other thoughts.

What an amazing statement.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    My brain broke down halfway through reading it. Good job, brain

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Ah, but what about the portable hole?

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Pseudo-Random thought: The problem with Silicon Valley is how it completely warps your ability to interact with people: When everyone is being nice and it’s all smiles, that’s when the knives are all out.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    More of a Linkin' Park sort of person

I still jam Bleed it Out when I need to really get pumped up and also Hands Held High just sort of like weekly really just so I don't forget.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Hmmmmmm, shit, still haven't submitted my Q3 goals...
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Used to work in eHealth.

So many times I'm at a clinic or something (Canada, at least!) and sitting in an office alone with a computer and it's just... open, with information up, logged in as someone.

Like jesus, every single thing provides you with ways to lock, you've been mandatory trained on this, I know there's no excuse yet here we always fucking are.

Also that clerks/providers are monitored and trigger alerts for anything remotely suspiciously searched and get nailed, but sysadmins pretty much are invisible with full access to anything cause I guess so.

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.