As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We've been playing [Animal Crossing] for how long now!?!

Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice?Really?Registered User regular
edited March 2021 in Games and Technology
YbOHqZM.jpg

The New Friend Info List
New Friend Info Submission Form
DIY Community Recipe Master List. Tell us what you know!
Visual aid for Nook item colors: https://imgur.com/a/xe0GcrO
Fill out the form here
View responses here
If you want to sell or buy turnips, this is suggested to keep chaos to a minimum. Turnip Queue Page: https://turnip.exchange/
2 cool finds by akjak, Animal Crossing Art Generator: https://experiments.getty.edu/ac-art-generator and mobile app called ACNH Guide.
ACNH/ACNL Advanced Flower Genetics
A list of K.K. Slider songs
A helpful guide on buying art
A list of well everything you can get provided by ShubNiggurath https://villagerdb.com/
A visual guide for flower breading
xr5tvhs3t44s.png
518bhj1ramw41.png
Old Friend Info List
There is a discord, just ask for the link.

What is Animal Crossing? It's a small-town life simulator from Nintendo, and it's an open-ended game where you pretty much set your own goals. Make mad cash on the Stalk Market and get the biggest house. Collect all of the wildlife for your house, or donate to the local museum! Collect furniture sets, or mix and match to unleash you inner decorator. Or become the ultimate control freak, curating who lives in your town and taking meticulous control over every square inch of the landscaping. Your imagination is the limit. In the last game I had my character transition over the summer. And that's not even getting into multiplayer! It's fun, low-key kind of game, and it typically only demands about a half-hour of your time each time. You certainly can go longer than that, but Animal Crossing is definitely more of a slow burn, expecting you to play over a little bit each day over a long period of time.

TyF9qHd.jpg

But first, some history:

Dōubutsu no Mori
N64
The very first Animal Crossing game, this never saw an English release until the GameCube version a few years later. I really miss the weird horned-hair kids the game had for Villagers in this one.
uIecD5G.jpg
Lookit that cute dork! Why wasn't this a Smash skin???

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Nintendo DS
Game number two introduced online play, along with new features like haircuts (RIP Horned Villagers). Also removed holidays which was...not well-received.

Animal Crossing: City Folk
Wii
The third game had a city portion that you could visit with expanded shops and characters.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3DS
Fourth in the series made you the mayor, introducing a number of quality-of-life features. You got a bit more control over the town, and there were useful city ordinances that could let you do things like shift the town's hours to be later to accommodate your real-life schedule. Also redesigned the villagers to give them more human proportions (taller, longer limbs). Also introduced Isabelle, the single most popular new character, who quickly took over as the franchise's mascot. They added her to Smash Bros.! Had a major update halfway through its lifespan that added a bunch of features such as amiibo support.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
3DS
The first spinoff game, in which your job is to design homes for various villagers. Introduced an easier way to move furniture, which was added as an unlockable feature in New Leaf.

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
Wii U
The second spinoff game, and the only one for the ill-fated Will U. It was created after demand for a game that required and heavily drew upon amiibo for its gameplay. So, what people wanted was Skylanders, and what they got was somehow worse Mario Party. The game only uses Animal Crossing amiibo, and since you are just moving around the board and collecting bells or Win the Game Currency, there is no reason to require amiibo. They just determine your character and are required to roll your dice, which just makes the game more annoying to play since you have to pass around the gamepad. A boring, terrible game that won't even hold a young child's interest for long. Still worth buying since it's a very cheap way to get Isabelle and Digby amiibos (aka the only reason people bought this game).

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
Mobile
The third spinoff, this is more like a traditional AC game, except everything is covered in a slimy layer of micro-transactions. Enjoy features such as "grinding for currencies to unlock items" and "buying special currencies to make items build faster." Seriously, this game is pretty bad. But good news!

Y7WZTtu.jpg

Animals Crossing: New Horizons
Switch
The fifth main game, and the focus of the thread. Here's the new stuff:
  • You are on an island!
  • Skin tone is now an option. Uh...better late than never?
  • Hairstyles are now all unisex, so no more unlocking for the other gender.
  • You can choose how the seasons progress (Northern or Southern hemisphere)
  • Best Friend option means you can determine which visiting players can make lasting changes to your town.
  • Nook Miles are a new currency that is harder to grind than Bells and will offer unique rewards.
  • Camera mode for those sweet selfies with your favorite villagers.
  • Inventory tweaks: more space, better stacking, etc.
  • New accessories like purses and backpacks
  • More granular movement with furniture. Still a grid system.
  • The NookPhone has a bunch of apps, such as altering the landscape of your island. Need a bridge? Waterfall?
  • You can finally create paths instead of laying down patterns like a crazed artists.
  • And more!

5dVobiv.png

I will expand this with more guides and tips once we have our hands on the games. Check the Switch thread for friend codes!

shamelessly stolen OP from Sterica.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
Toxic Toys on

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Toxic Toys on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

Oakey wrote: »
    Ken O wrote: »
    Spikey Sister's is En Fugeo today.
    Oldtimey Prisoner Pants, Baby Chick Costumes, Mage Robes, Racing Helmets, SKELETON HOOD, Masquerade Masks, and more

Tell the Dodos 7RQSY.

I'll be open at least until my lunch break ends.

@Oakey Feel free to come by and shake some trees.

Thanks, on my way!

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    what an island. Did you do all that as you went along from the start or did you completely redo it from scratch once you had the island designer?

• amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    https://discord.gg/r9dtc4

Off-topic chat. :P

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    what an island. Did you do all that as you went along from the start or did you completely redo it from scratch once you had the island designer?

The center island was vaguely hammer shaped from the beginning. Once I got the designer I just sharpened up the look of it.

The skull island area changed like 10 times before becoming what it is.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    So does this update mean every time you Kay down there’s a dialog box? Because my 3 year old will hate that. :/

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    Gates closed. It's arm day.

8TD4oTpl.jpg

Comics, Games, Booze
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    New thread smell... mmmm

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Gulliver washed ashore once again today. Maybe this time he'll give me something other than a wig or a hat.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Yesterday 3 villagers were in the plaza charging each other while holding plants. Not sure what that was about and they didn't tell me. I assumed they were all on LSD.

Arm day at least makes sense.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think I'm going for Frita. While I really like Phoebe's whole Phoenix vibe, Frita just look very happy and I need more of that. A lot of my villagers either look angry by default, are a killer death robot, a dead dog, or a spectrally possessed eyeless statue.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Fear and loathing in Animal Crossing @Dirk2112 ?
    : D

If there's any specific items you want from Gulliver @WotanAnubis , let me know (got some in trades &
    then realised have nowhere to put them)

jlyun32zt1la.jpg

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    If there's any specific items you want from Gulliver WotanAnubis , let me know (got some in trades &
    then realised have nowhere to put them)

I might take you up on that at some point, but for the moment I'm just kind of bizarrely curious how long it'll take for Gulliver to give me a landmark.

Although now that I've complained about it on the internet, I feel the odds are good tomorrow I'll find a landmark in my mailbox.

• ConnConn Registered User regular
    YESSS Dream Suite!

By far the biggest thing missing. Being able to see everyone else's towns without relying on my shitty internet connection is a gamechanger.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I can't wait until the dream thing comes out - I have multiple places on my island that I just can't figure out a good use for and could use some inspiration.

How are people doing with mermaid recipes? I seem to get pearls just about every time I trigger the otter. Are they in balloons as well? Would I have a better shot trying to pay more attention to popping those?

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    263 spike if anyone wants that.

edited July 2020
    After getting a couple mermaid fishy dresses from Pascal, he finally gave me a mermaid princess dress!
    3c1lsp1wvxcf.jpg

Boomer's hats. <3
    2clpbm8rxla7.jpg

Can't pass up the opportunity for a photo op with Gullivarrr.
    19s94l0v18zq.jpg

amethystoak on
    I can't wait until the dream thing comes out - I have multiple places on my island that I just can't figure out a good use for and could use some inspiration.

How are people doing with mermaid recipes? I seem to get pearls just about every time I trigger the otter. Are they in balloons as well? Would I have a better shot trying to pay more attention to popping those?

You can only get them from Pascal. I have quite a few of the recipes, but about a week into July I started using a 2nd character to talk to Pascal so that helped me get them quicker.

I'm pretty much in the same boat except every other day I get some type of clothing from him.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I've been looking for a lucky cat (to customize into a gold lucky cat) for the longest time, and I think it'll end up being one of the last Gulliver items I get XD Someday~

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    SilverWind wrote: »
    I've been looking for a lucky cat (to customize into a gold lucky cat) for the longest time, and I think it'll end up being one of the last Gulliver items I get XD Someday~

Yeah same. Done Gulliver on 4 residents every time, and the only Lucky Cat I have is from a trade.

If I find an extra, I'll send you @SilverWind ; )

Someone should probably check their mail. They might have gotten lucky.

Comics, Games, Booze

Can’t speak for anyone else, but it evolves a bit as I go.

Usually I’ll find some furniture or whatever and make a small area with it. Then I find more stuff, and it gets bigger.

I’ve done relatively little terraforming, so my island map is pretty similar to its starting geography.

I’ve done two major “moves” of buildings. Once for the villager neighborhood, and once for “shop row” changes.

People totally do move all the buildings to the beach, raze to the ground and meticulously plan, terraform, and build. I canNOT be arsed to do so.

Ken O wrote: »
    Someone should probably check their mail. They might have gotten lucky.

@Ken O !!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

Thank you~~~~

signature.png
    Agreed - building bit by bit is fun!

Moving all the buildings to beach and terraforming was worth it to me, but I wouldn't do it again. Takes so long!

I'd stop terraforming now except... kinda want to build a puzzle maze (seen a really fun one on Discord)
    Would you guys be into trying it out?

Yes, of course! X3

I really look forward to exploring all the dream islands, because undoubtedly there will be some really mindbending ones

signature.png

Moving all the buildings to beach and terraforming was worth it to me, but I wouldn't do it again. Takes so long!

I'd stop terraforming now except... kinda want to build a puzzle maze (seen a really fun one on Discord)

Yes!

Comics, Games, Booze

Yes, absolutely!

Well I'm bored and kiddo is napping so I have my island open if anyone wants to come visit. Pango is crafting the garden wagon. ^_^

Sign me up.

What the f, Roscoe? Not cool, dude.
    mf2e706s7bs5.jpg
    poldrc3aq559.jpg
    p64588vpr8xs.jpg

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Operation Bug Hunt is in effect.

I set my clock ahead to 11pm, and brought six palm trees. Found a bamboo mystery island on my second ticket, clear cut the whole thing and planted my palms on the beach with the native four. I’ve now been running around for the last two hours and still no Golden Stag or Horned Hercules. Got a ton of scarabs and the giraffe stag. Only two left, come on RNG!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really wish you could sell shit to the dodo for the same rate as the drop bin on islands, I donno why they seemingly introduced that at harvs. It would make island farming much more rewarding to be able to be super choosey about the inventory space.

good luck @timspork's ghost ! hope you get your big bugs!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So did everyone just add all the friend codes on the spreadsheet? I hate to use up space on other people's list of friends where they are finite, and I don't play a ton online but it sounds like fun visiting islands that aren't my wife or son.

edited July 2020
    Horned Hercules got! Now I just need the Golden Stag.

Librarian's ghost on

So did everyone just add all the friend codes on the spreadsheet? I hate to use up space on other people's list of friends where they are finite, and I don't play a ton online but it sounds like fun visiting islands that aren't my wife or son.

Are the friend lists finite? I haven't had a problem. I think I'm friends with just about everyone that has their info on the sheet. I see that you're on it now, I'll add you.

Horned Hercules got! Now I just need the Golden Stag.

FYI, you can also catch them until 8am. So early morning hunting can be a thing too