As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] [Fellowship] Let the Prologue Commence!

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    A sudden gush of wind puts chills in your bones, as you notice that the Orcs are no longer staring up at the castle.

They are now staring at you.

The bigger of the three lets out a shout in a language no one present is able to comprehend, and at once, in unison, the three figures charge. You notice as they get closer that their eyes are not natural - they are rolled back, showing only the whites of their eyes. Over this, there is a faint purple hue, almost as if their eyes were somehow on fire.

Their approach is significantly quicker than anyone would expect of beings of their size - there is something almost supernatural about their ability to move quickly. Before anyone can truly get their bearings, the enemy is upon you.

While all three Orcs are rapid in their approach, it seems the Orc Berserker will be the first to arrive, and its eyes are clearly set on Kaj. Barely slowing down, it raises its axe and strikes from overhead.

@Invictus , you are in danger. How do you respond? The spotlight is yours to use or pass to another player.

Enemies Encountered!

Orc Berserker
    Orc Berserker: The strongest and most savage of Orcs.

Blind Rage: The attacks of an Orc Berserker on the rampage are very difficult to defend against. If your Grace is damaged, you cannot defend against the attacks of an Orc Berserker. (0/1)

Reckless Valor: An Orc Berserker can damage this stat to damage an enemy they are fighting (0/1)

Orc Soldier #1
    Big Lug: Real big, real strong, real stupid.

Bigger 'n You: A Big Lug can pick up enemies and throw them aside with ease. Anyone who Pays a Price near the Big Lug gets tossed. (0/1)

Tough As Can Be: This stat has to be damaged twice. (0/2)

Orc Soldier #2

Bigger 'n You: A Big Lug can pick up enemies and throw them aside with ease. Anyone who Pays a Price near the Big Lug gets tossed. (0/1)

The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Kaj steps forward slowly to receive the charge, taking the focus so that the others are free to act. In particular, as the berserker closes first, Kaj moves suddenly and sharply into the berserker, producing a short stone dagger from his belt and aiming for the berserker's heart.
    I use Death Before Dishonor to try to Finish the berserker. (Death Before Dishonor allows me to Finish Them without having an advantage, as long as I am trying to kill them in glorious combat and I break my weapon.)
    If I succeed, I am hoping to shatter the stone dagger into the berserker's torso. I assume he will strike me as well, and I will take the damage on my Tough as Nails gear.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for slaying the berserker with a stone dagger.

slaying the berserker with a stone dagger:
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=2, 6]

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    The Orc Berserker never gets to bring down his axe. You dagger pierces straight through the chest into his heart, killing him instantly. His body slumps to the floor, joined by the clanging of his fallen axe and the remains of your shattered dagger.

Meanwhile...

Orc Soldier #1 charges forward furiously, building momentum on its hammer as it swings towards Namora

@Invictus , and everyone else for that matter, I'd like to ask if, when you roll a move like Finish Them that has options for which stat you roll with, that you state which specific stat you're using when you roll. It doesn't really matter in this instance because the intent was obvious, but just to stop me from mixing up things later down the line. 'I wanted to disarm this person, not decapitate them!'.
    @Dex Dynamo , you are in danger! You currently have the spotlight, to respond yourself or to pass to another player.

Enemies Encountered!

Orc Berserker [Deceased]

Orc Soldier #1

Orc Soldier #2

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    "Well, I s'pose I have my answer then."

Namora is still as a statue, barely even breathing as the Orc Soldier barrels towards her, a calm and cocky grin on her face. Her only movement is her fingers on the Settler Of Scores, her ancestral dueling saber. For a brief second, though, her expression changes to one of frustration."

"... no, no, honor the Agreement."

And in a blur she is in the air, rushing at the Orc soldier coming her way. She kicks off of the ground, and in one fluid motion, attempts to take the soldier out at the knee, using their own momentum to hopefully drive them face-first into the mud and claim a quick advantage.
    Since I don't think I have an advantage, I'd like to use Keep Them Busy to knock the Orc off their feet, so I can Finish Them later.

Geth, roll 2d6 for Keep Them Busy (+0 Courage)

Keep Them Busy (+0 Courage):
    2d6 11 [2d6=6, 5]

• Options
    @Dex Dynamo While you certainly can opt to Keep Them Busy, I need to point out that this move is all about keeping their attention on you, but not overcoming immediate danger. As the Orc Soldier is currently swinging a Hammer at you, you're still going to take damage unless you respond to that threat specifically. Overcome or Get Away are the two moves most suited to this particular scenario.

Averting the danger with those moves, however, would mean you haven't kept their attention and so they are free to attack someone else at any time. So alternately, it might be valid to Keep Them Busy if you're happy to Take Damage in exchange for keeping the rest of the fellowship safe from this enemy.

It's entirely your call and you are free to make a different roll if you like, or stick to your guns. During the 'Prologue' I will present any quandries like this to a player that falls into one to avoid anyone suffering the consequence of a move or rule that wasn't necessarily clear. Once we've passed the 'Prologue' (I'll make it clear when this is), I will stop doing this and hit you with consequences of oversights or 'monkeys paw' situations in full force.

• Options
    In that case, I think Get Away makes more sense, and where I'm trying to get is "on the other side of the Orc"

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Get Away (+Grace)

Get Away (+Grace):
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=5, 1]

• Options
    edited July 2020
    With an 8, you get to pick one option out of three for Get Away. I'm going to assume you'd pick You get there quickly, avoiding any harm along the way and roll with it.

Make sure you check the conditions of your rolls everybody! Different results have differing consequences!

The Orc continues its strike, aiming to crush Namora into a bloody pulp with its hammer... only to find Namora no longer there, the hammer making a sizeable dent in the floor where she stood moments ago. After a moment of confusion, the orc turns its head to observe Namora taking a new position behind it.

The Orcs show no signs of relenting.

The immediate assault is over, though your enemy is no less dangerous. The spotlight is currently free for anyone whgo wants to claim it.

Enemies Encountered!

Orc Berserker [Deceased]

Orc Soldier #1

Orc Soldier #2

The Brayster on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Arthur realizes as the orcs charge that he doesn’t have a free shot on any of them, Kaj and Namora were in the line of sight and he wouldn’t risk hitting either of them. So instead, the squire drops the crossbow and pulls out his sword just as Kaj downs one, and Namora dodges the other.

Arthur advances and yells at the orc that had just swung against Namora. She had rolled away behind it, and Arthur now wanted to draw it’s attention. If it had threats on both sides, it might be able to be distracted enough for a blow to slip by it’s defenses.

_________________________________________________________________________________
    Attempting to Keep Them Busy

Well....someone had to be the first to roll terribly.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Keep Them Busy (+Courage)

Keep Them Busy (+Courage):
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=1, 3]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Orc Soldier #1 shows merely a mild irritation at the young human yelling at it, and throws out a fist towards Arthur, sending him flying off to the side of where he had once stood, before turning eyes back to Namora.

Your roll wasn't severe enough for me to penalize you with raw damage, but you do suffer from a retaliation despite not keeping the foes attention. You must Pay The Price; Take Damage of your choice of stat, or break/use/lose a piece of equipment (tell us what happens).

Once this has happened, I would like to force the spotlight on @El Skid . Tell us what your character has been doing up until now, then either make a move of your own or pass the spotlight to another player.

Enemies Encountered!
    Orc Berserker [Deceased]

Orc Soldier #1

Orc Soldier #2

• Options
    Arthur doesn't see the fist until it's too late. He charged forward with his sword, ready to try and engage the Orc who had attacked Namora, and seconds later, he was flung to the side by the force of a punch. His head spinning, he sat up slowly, trying to regain his balance before attempting to stand.
    I swear I was planning on playing a sidekick who was actually competent. The dice have decided otherwise apparently.

I'll take damage to Blood

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Rose was horrified by the charge of the (apparently possessed?) orcs, and took Namora and Arthur’s actions as a distraction to move around behind the attacking orcs, her dog carrying her around behind to the last orc. Once in an advantageous position, she lept off her dog to land square on the second orc’s back.

“Hey there handsome! You from around here? Got anything interesting in your pockets?”
    Rose is going to try to keep them busy on orc #2, and sting like a bee if she gets high enough. Ig

Geth roll 2d6+2 for keep them busy (courage)

if successful Rose will try to Sting like a Bee to look through their pockets for anything interesting.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Sting like a bee (courage)

keep them busy (courage):
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=4, 3]
    Sting like a bee (courage):
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=1, 3]

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The Orc does not carry anything especially valuable, but Rose is able to pull out a crude, orcish dagger from it's sheathe. If nothing else, it stops your foe from being able to use it.

Orc Soldier #2 is now distracted by the halfling on his back, and is struggling to remove her. All players have Advantage over Orc Soldier #2 until it makes its next move*.

Remember folks, there's no mechanical hard limit on when you can/can not have Advantage. You simply need to be able to justify why you might have the upper hand on your foe from the position you are in, I.e. you have them on the back foot in some way, shape or form. Tell us how and why, and you're good to go! When in doubt, follow the natural set up we have here! Keep Them Busy - Finish Them is the most natural 1-2 punch the game can provide.

If I feel the group has ever gone too long without an advantage of some kind, I'll highlight it the same way I have here.
    @El Skid , you obtain an Orcish Dagger (Melee, Crude) to add to your gear. You also don't need to roll for Sting Like A Bee. If you get 7+ on a roll to Keep Them Busy, assuming you are in melee range, you get it automatically.

I am now forcing the spotlight on @JusticeforPluto to round things out. Tell us what you've been doing up until now, then make a move, or pass the spotlight to another player.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Just to clarify, both orcs are locked in melee combat with the rest of the Fellowship, correct?

• Options
    Yes, though Orc #1 is more free to react, whereas Orc #2 is being kept busy

• Options
    Where are the companion stats in the rules?

Given that my friends have them tied up, feel shooting at the orcs to be a poor choice. I'd like to hold back, and send my Dwarven Berserk forward to help. How would I do that?

• Options
    Companions aren't really bound by the same stats as the Fellowship, they only have the two/three stats written beside them in your playbook. These stats are not limited in function - you use them to do whatever it sounds like they should be able to do, beyond that they exist as a form of HP. When you use your Companions, you use the move Bound In Service

Bound In Service:

When you call upon a Companion for help, you may damage one of their stats to create an Advantage related to that stat. If all of a Companion's stats are damaged and they'd take further damage, lose a Bond with them. When no one has Bonds with a Companion, they leave the fellowship

Below are the enemy profiles for some Dwarven Companions, in the event that they came up as enemies (Again, this is merely inspiration. You are not so limited):
    Dwarven Gunner: Dwarven riflemen are famous throughout the world for
    their excessive use of black powder.

Powder keg: If this stat is damaged, the gunner explodes, causing
    collateral damage.

Sturdy Rifle: When the gunner has an open shot, they may damage
    this stat to immediately deal damage to anybody.

Dwarven Defender: Trained in the art of the tower shield, this dwarf will
    defend you through thick and thin.

Loyal: The defender can damage this stat to prevent damage to
    someone else.

Shield-Bearer: The defender and anyone standing next to them cannot
    be damaged from the front.

Dwarven Berserker: The strongest and most aggressive of dwarves.

Blind Rage: The attacks of a Dwarven Berserker on the rampage are verydifficult to defend against. If your Grace is damaged, you cannot defend against the attacks of a Dwarven Berserker.

Reckless Valor: A Dwarven Berserker can damage this stat to damage an enemy they are fighting.

• Options
    Then I will close the distance and try to Finish Them with my mace, targeting Orc #1
    Geth roll 2d6+2

2d6+2 10 [2d6=3, 5]

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Orc Soldier #1 does not get the chance it seeks to take down Namora, for it finds itself struck by the mace of Ferun from behind and falls to the ground, with what little life having remained leaving its eyes.

Orc Soldier #2 raises its axe almost towards itself and, using the sharp point at the top, makes a stabbing motion towards Rose on his shoulder.

@El Skid you are in danger, and must react to the attack, via Overcome or Get Away. Any form of success will allow you Keep Them Busy automatically, though you will lose this upon failure.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    Rose sees the attack coming and attempts to swing herself around the Orc’s head, ending up with her arms around the back if its neck and staring neatly into the brute’s eyes.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 to overcome (blood). On a 7+ Rose gets to sting like a bee, and will look closely at the Orc’s eyes and general demeanour, trying to figure out whether the Orc is possessed or otherwise dominated.

a 7+ Rose gets to sting like a bee, and will look closely at the Orcs eyes and general demeanour, trying to figure out whether the Orc is possessed or otherwise dominated.:
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=2, 3]

• Options
    Rose can tell at once that these Orcs are clearly possessed. It is unclear for now whether these Orcs are living beings under mind-altering control or deceased beings re-animated from the dead - but whatever the case, they are being actively controlled by an external, unknown source, and are unable to be reasoned with.

The Orc continues to struggle to remove Rose.

The spotlight is open to anyone who wants to take it.

• Options
    As the Orc swats at Rose she resumes her previous place on its back,

“These guys are definitely being controlled by someone or something, Could someone maybe knock this one out instead of killing him?”

• Options
    Kaj produces a staff from his back and approaches the last Orc cautiously, carefully lining up his strike to avoid Rose. Once close enough, Kaj swings the staff in a vicious arc, aiming for the Orc's temple. Kaj knows that, if delivered well, that should disable this last combatant.
    Kaj is rolling Finish Them with Sense, to knock out or disable the last Orc. I am also rolling with Hope, as I am working with Rose, with whom I have a Bond. I don't offhand know the die-rolling syntax for rolling with hope, so I'm just gonna roll 3d6, and we can add +2 (my sense) to the top 2 rolls.

Geth, roll 3d6 for knocking out the last Orc (take top 2, +2)

knocking out the last Orc (take top 2, +2):
    3d6 5 [3d6=1, 2, 2]

• Options
    The Orc notices the approach of Kaj, and in one burst of rage throws Rose from his neck and charges towards Kaj, axe held high, before bringing it down in a swift cutting motion.

@Invictus , you are in danger, as a 6- result for Finish Them results in retaliation. This foe is also no longer Kept Busy. You must react to the incoming strike, either with a move of your own or by passing the spotlight to another player.

• Options
    Kaj responds by blocking the axe's descent with his staff.
    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for overcome the attack using blood

overcome the attack using blood:
    2d6+2 5 [2d6=1, 2]

• Options
    The assault of your foe is more ferocious than you anticipated, meaning your block was ill-timed, and you suffer injury for it.

@Invictus , you take damage. Pick a stat to damage, until you get a chance to rest and restore this stat, any rolls you make with it are in despair. Announce this to the group.

The spotlight is open to anyone

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The Settler of Scores twirling in her hand, Namora spins past Kaj, a silent tornado of kicks and disarming strikes, attempting to disarm and subdue her foe before they cause any more injury to her friends.
    I'm going to roll this as Finish Them with an intent to disabling them, based on the Advantage that Namora is a trained duelist with a precious dueling saber in hand. If you think I need to Keep Them Busy first, we'll change this roll to a Keep Them Busy.

EDIT: So either an 11 for Keep Them Busy (with my +0 Courage), or a 12 for Finish Them (with my +1 Sense)

Geth, roll 2d6+1

2d6+1 12 [2d6=5, 6]

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Typically I would need you to Keep Them Busy, unless you can explain how/why you have your foe on the back foot, in which case you can go ahead.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Typically I would need you to Keep Them Busy, unless you can explain how/why you have your foe on the back foot, in which case you can go ahead.
    I feel like because she carries a precious dueling rapier with a long & storied past, this is something Namora is particularly trained in. But I'm also happy rolling again to Finish Them if you prefer.

EDIT: Or more accurately/specifically, this is an area Namora is particularly trained in that this Orc specifically isn't; I'm envisioning the scene in a martial arts movie where a bar tough tries to hurl a punch at the martial arts master.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    I take a point of damage to my Tough as Nails gear, which is armor.

• Options
    I'd say roll again. While I get where you're coming from, I feel like it might lead to a slippery slope of allowing Advantage in every engagement that you hold said rapier. Now, if you come across a foe with an identical or even similar fighting style, absolutely, I wouldn't second guess your Advantage. In this case, fighting a larger, stronger, posessed (and therefore unpredictable) enemy, your skill over your opponent might not be so Black and White.

What I will do for you though, is lower your success threshhold for Finish Them, based on the strength of your previous roll. 7-10 gets you the 10+ result, 4-6 gets you the tier below etc.

• Options
    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Finish Them (+Sense)

Finish Them (+Sense):
    2d6+1 6 [2d6=1, 4]

• Options
    The Orc Soldier cries out in pain as Namoras rapier slides past his axe and instead cuts along his forearm. Namora would barely have time to remove the blade before the Orc begins to swing his axe wildly, yet at no one in particular, desperate to get clear.

The Orc Soldier receives damage to the Trait Tough As Can Be. The Orc is no longer Kept Busy.

The spotlight is open to anyone.

Tough As Can Be: This stat has to be damaged twice. (1/2)

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Arthur climbs to his feet slowly as his companions continue their attack on the orcs, felling one but struggling with the other. The human grabs his sword tighter, and charges again, trying to dodge the flailing axe but also attempting to engage the Orc's attention.
    Edit: No, cool, it's fine. Apparently Arthur isn't going to be helpful in fights.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Keep Them Busy (+Courage)

2d6+2 5 [2d6=2, 1]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    @AustinP0027 , go ahead and make that roll again, but with Hope. The way I'm picturing this scene, you'd be working pretty much side by side with your rolemodel Namora. No reason why you can't roll with Hope here.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Need to lookup how to roll with advantage with Geth, but didn't find it quickly, so keep highest two here.

Edit: So that would be an 11.

Second Edit: It seems like the command might be "3d6k2+2". Will try it in a future post.

Geth roll 3d6+2 for Keep Them Busy (+Courage)

3d6+2 14 [3d6=3, 4, 5]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    The Orc notices Arthurs charge, but can't seem to hit him. Irritated, it continues to try, paying no mind to anything else around him.

Orc Soldier #2 is Kept Busy.

The spotlight is open to anyone.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Namora spins on her heels, watching young Arthur stare down this possessed Orc. Her tone changes from serious to a sort of mock poise, a crude impression of a schoolteacher.

"Aha, a fine teaching moment into what professionals call the one-two. One, you distract them. And two..."

Namora clutches the hilt of her dueling rapier with both hands, and brings the bottom of the hilt full force towards the back of the Orc's head in a swinging axehandle, hoping to knock the Orc unconscious.

"I pop 'em in the back of the head!"
    I would like to roll Finish Them again (with the advantage that the Orc is distracted), with Hope, because I'm working with Arthur and teaching him the tricks of the trade, which is to say, how to fight like a bastard.

Edit: That's a 9, total.

Geth, Roll 3d6+1 for Finish Them + Sense

Finish Them + Sense:
    3d6+1 12 [3d6=4, 4, 3]

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    The bottom of the hilt falls clean on the back of the Orcs skull, and gives out a deafening CRACK, in an almost sickening way.

Suprisingly, in spite of this, the orc is still standing, though now clearly worse for wear, and slower on its feet from the blow.

The Orc takes damage. It is no longer Kept Busy, but is in a confused state. The next player to make a move against the orc has Advantage.

The spotlight is open.

Tough As Can Be: This stat has to be damaged twice. (2/2)

• Options
    Rose picked herself up off the ground and watched as the Orc steadfastly refused to go down.

“Oh come on. Just go down!” Juping back onto the Orc’s back she screamed into it’s ear as loud as she could, hoping to shake it out of whatever trance it was in...and at least keep it distracted if that didn’t work.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 (courage) to keep the Orc busy

(courage) to keep the Orc busy:
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=4, 4]

• Options
    The Orc once again turns its attention to Rose, hoping to shake off this nuiscance, ignoring all others.

The Orc is once again Kept Busy.

The spotlight is open.