As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The Hulu app on my PS3 lags like crazy (especially after watching something). I haven't had any problems with it on my PC, but I also haven't used it much there recently.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    SAO is like prime 'all anime is now incest fantasy' territory. That shit was everywhere for years and it was awful.

I watched a clip of gadgetman and I am not sure what genre of show this is(comedy meet-cute?), kind of just comedians doing bits in public, this time with gadgets as props. I like all the people involved but it was still hard to get through just the clip. I guess its just like the warm up 15 minutes section at the start in general podcast formats?

The first season was pretty entertaining; the second has some weirdness like his (not-)sister and him and Asuna in her prison. It kinda feels like it meanders after that to be honest, with the gun season. Alicization is a bit wonky, but feels like a bit of a reset.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I watched The Long Goodbye last night, is the transfer garbage or is the movie supposed to be that hazy?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Amazon added a show called Dog School which is a nice background/nap reality show following Doggie Day Cares in england similar to Airport, and they also added Stephen Fry/Richard Ayoade's Gadgetman show which is good filler if you liked James May's Toy Stories or Man Lab.

I love those small shows Steven Fry would do, Travel Man is another great one. Richard Ayoade's takeover worked really well too.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I watched The Long Goodbye last night, is the transfer garbage or is the movie supposed to be that hazy?

On what platform? I've heard from people who have it that Prime is basically just scanning VHS tapes for anything old.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

On what platform? I've heard from people who have it that Prime is basically just scanning VHS tapes for anything old.

Yea I watched it on prime and it looked real bad.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I've literally seen movies on Amazon that still have the "this film has been formatted to fit your tv" text at the start

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Went back to Sword Art Online and plowed through and was kinda getting into and then the worst thing happened; I caught up to where they were were making them. Well fuck.

So then I went and watched something else and I can't even remember what it was so I guess that's all that needs to be said about that.

Tonight I went to work on Food Wars on netflix (also anime) wherein some kid saves the day every episode by cooking good; so good it gives people orgasms and makes their clothes explode off their bodies. Even if they're an attractive, chesty woman...or her three goons who...I wasn't quite sure, it looked like some manner of raw, liquid flavor was spraying their crotches from off screen so we didn't see any wang. Anyways, he made some old french guy orgasm in a giant pot of honey just a little bit ago, so what I'm saying is the show is pretty funny.

Holy balls, there's 72 episodes of this?

The culinary consultant left Food Wars around the 3rd season and it shows. It's a good time quit the show because I've heard that plot goes increasingly off the rails after that.
    Spoilers through the end of current show, or at least current as of several months ago
    The arc where they defeat fascist cooking and the elite 10 is basically the point to bow out from what I've seen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's a couple of older Kung Fu movies on Prime that have multiple version, one was English dub no subtitles and another that was the original Chinese language but no English subtitles. It's a fucking mess.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    I only ever subbed to Prime once, and I thought that their prints were terrible. Terrible visual quality, inconsistent subtitles, sometimes odd formatting choices. It was crazy to me after using Netflix or Criterion, who are usually working from pretty high quality sources.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    We normally only stream Hulu on our tv, but I've used it to watch a couple of movies on my PC in the last two weeks and it's been fine. Picture quality has been great on a 32" 1440p monitor, and I haven't had any technical problems.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The subtitles on Prime are just wildly awful. Even their original TV series where it's not like they're just getting handed a shitty subtitle file from a publisher (I assume) since it's their product. They're, like, "played the audio from two rooms away and did voice-to-text on a gen-1 iPhone" bad.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    There's a couple of older Kung Fu movies on Prime that have multiple version, one was English dub no subtitles and another that was the original Chinese language but no English subtitles. It's a fucking mess.

Kung Fu Theater on USA back in the day was some of my favorite movies.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The subtitles on Prime are just wildly awful. Even their original TV series where it's not like they're just getting handed a shitty subtitle file from a publisher (I assume) since it's their product. They're, like, "played the audio from two rooms away and did voice-to-text on a gen-1 iPhone" bad.

There's like an entire season of Leverage where every line of sub has the word DEMO inserted in the middle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Krieghund wrote: »

Kung Fu Theater on USA back in the day was some of my favorite movies.

I like the ones where Jackie Chan has an Australian accent.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I especially love how there will be no subtitles for a good amount of time, then suddenly I get all the subtitles from the last minute in the span of 4 seconds.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Binged all of Community. I feel like I understand why it became a cult favorite, but I also feel like it hasn't aged particularly well, even compared to its contemporaries. Also, I know season 6 is no one's favorite, but it just reminded me that Paget Brewster is wasted on crap like Criminal Minds. She's very funny! (see also: her Drunk History appearances)

Then we watched RUN on HBO. Yikes, what a couple of self-absorbed sociopaths! Unfortunately the plot was not interesting enough to make spending 3.5 hours with such reprehensible people worth it.

Now we are watching Kim's Convenience. It's pretty good, but very sitcommy, which feels especially weird after Community.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Emmy nominations came out today, Ozark got waaaaaaay too many for a show that devolved into such a fart. This always happens, trying to correct for past snubs or lack of deserved wins in a show's previous season, mainly the one that matters (the first). And so much Schitt's Creek that it feels the same way, even though I haven't finished catching up on it.

What We Do In the Shadows got some nominations but no respek for the actors themselves, either best series/writing. And lol gotta jerk off Quibi with some nominations and pretend it's not a joke.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I saw Walton Goggins got fucked again, man I dunno what that man did to the emmy's but they hate his ass. Is it because he's got such a nice smile? Is that what it is?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The Emmy voters are just kind of dumb. Rhea Seehorn didn't get nominated again, and she's been giving the best performance on TV period for at least three years.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    How did Mark Hamill not get guest star for comedy

• Options
    cuz jesus christ that ep broke my brain

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The Emmys gave Modern Family like 50 noms and 20 awards, they're not to be taken seriously.

• Options
    The Emmys gave Modern Family like 50 noms and 20 awards, they're not to be taken seriously.

Before that it was Frazier, fucking Frazier.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Binged all of Community. I feel like I understand why it became a cult favorite, but I also feel like it hasn't aged particularly well, even compared to its contemporaries. Also, I know season 6 is no one's favorite, but it just reminded me that Paget Brewster is wasted on crap like Criminal Minds. She's very funny! (see also: her Drunk History appearances)

Then we watched RUN on HBO. Yikes, what a couple of self-absorbed sociopaths! Unfortunately the plot was not interesting enough to make spending 3.5 hours with such reprehensible people worth it.

Now we are watching Kim's Convenience. It's pretty good, but very sitcommy, which feels especially weird after Community.

We got to season 4 of Community and it felt like the show ran into a brick wall. Those first two episodes are soooo bad compared to the earlier seasons. It's real obvious that they changed creative teams between 3 and 4 and the characters all feel like facsimiles of themselves.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Emmy nominations came out today, Ozark got waaaaaaay too many for a show that devolved into such a fart. This always happens, trying to correct for past snubs or lack of deserved wins in a show's previous season, mainly the one that matters (the first). And so much Schitt's Creek that it feels the same way, even though I haven't finished catching up on it.

What We Do In the Shadows got some nominations but no respek for the actors themselves, either best series/writing. And lol gotta jerk off Quibi with some nominations and pretend it's not a joke.

Schitt's Creek is amazing all the way through.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

We got to season 4 of Community and it felt like the show ran into a brick wall. Those first two episodes are soooo bad compared to the earlier seasons. It's real obvious that they changed creative teams between 3 and 4 and the characters all feel like facsimiles of themselves.

End of the 5th season is where I have to tap out entirely on the show. Before that point, the episodes I skip are the ones with Pierce being an unfunny straight-up asshole adding nothing to the show (which isn't all Pierce-heavy episodes, but he gets a LOT worse as the series goes on) and the ones where Shirley is being her outright nasty self while still trying to convince everyone she's nice. Basically, I hate the episodes with Pierce or Shirley being simply ugly people and ruining the episode for everyone else.

I felt like the show took a notable step up when Chase was written off the show (and holy shit, I'd heard he was an asshole but I didn't expect it to become such a blatant part of the character, it's gets so obvious that many of his takes are intentionally mean-spirited), then falls apart completely after Glover leaves.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Frajjjjjieeerr!!!!!!! *shakes fist at sky*

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If only Fraiser had lasted a few more seasons we could have gotten this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bUV9PJfbJ0

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Pierce Hawthorne was a treasure who held that show together, it was the writers continually making Abed their pet Sheldon character who got worse and worse with the meta wink wink that messed with the show.

It's still a very good show and seasons 1-3 have amazing batting averages with only 3 or 4 meh episodes, but 4 is when there's a real change and it loses sparkle.

Annie Kim > Britta > Quendra >Professor Slater > Annie

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

man i love that guy's videos
    https://youtu.be/1sFbLppuhhs

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Emmy voters are just kind of dumb. Rhea Seehorn didn't get nominated again, and she's been giving the best performance on TV period for at least three years.
    Preacher wrote: »

To the extent that I even pay attention, it has always seemed to me like the Emmy's schtick is to pick one thing and just give it all the awards all the time until it's gone and then move on to something else. The voters just seem to not be paying attention and default to whatever they did last time.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

For me the difference wasn't immediately noticeable but maybe by halfway through season 4 or so the show had become a cartoon (not referring to the episodes which are actually cartoons). I think they sort of understood that it had gotten too cartoony and tried to dial it back in Season 6 but by then Shirley and Troy were gone and it all started to feel directionless anyway.

Pierce and to some extent Chang have really not aged well, I feel like I sort of understand what they were going for with those characters, constantly showing them to be pathetic and dunked on by everyone, but there's a moment in one of the later episodes where I think Troy literally says something like "Pierce may be a racist old coot, but he's OUR racist old coot" and I was like woahhh, fuck that noise, how dare you put those words in Donald Glover's mouth. Especially knowing that Chevy Chase is basically Pierce in real life and Glover in particular hated his guts, really poisons a lot of the stuff that might have seemed harmless at the time. Plus, characters calling stuff "gay" just gets so, so, so tiresome after 6 seasons.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2020
    I just got a few episodes into The Terror so far, but this is a great show and I love the vibe. Mankind is all "We are so fucking awesome, we're gonna drive our manly super boats right through frozen nature, hi fives all around" and nature is all "Oh no, my poor pristine tundra, whatever will I- BAM ARCTIC DEATH BEAR OLOLOLOL."

And man is just like OUCH, MY HUBRIS *dies*.

It's glorious.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

man i love that guy's videos
    https://youtu.be/1sFbLppuhhs

The Bigtop Burger stuff Worthikids has been putting out has been excellent. This is still probably the funniest video they've put out, imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KO2IjWI9fA

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've been rewatching Law & Order: Criminal Intent (for some reason, several seasons require alternative procurement) for the first time in like ten years, and I'm almost surprised that I can still enjoy most of it most of the time.

I've noticed this time around that like every other cop they ever have to interact with that isn't a crossover character is some degree of dirty. And that they're mostly after affluent or otherwise powerful/connected psychopaths and sociopaths. The show's sympathetic to the rare criminals who warrant Major Crimes but aren't rich dirtbags.

Though Goren laying his hands on suspects--even when it's just to, like, uh, dance with them--and activating his hypnotic powers to turn lawyers completely silent and powerless as he leads their clients to emotional confessions really stands out to me now.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Criminal Intent is really great just because of the talent involved. Depending on the episode you're getting either Vincent D'Onofrio or Jeff Goldblum, and either way is going to be a great time.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Criminal Intent is really great just because of the talent involved. Depending on the episode you're getting either Vincent D'Onofrio or Jeff Goldblum, and either way is going to be a great time.

I liked when Goldblum came on he wasn't just a D"Onofrio clone. He was his own weirdness. As befits the Goldblum.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Well it’s LA in the 70s, a little haze is to be expected

In other news i am watching Mean Streets for the first time and so far the only good thing is the music.

It’s been nothing but muttering and voiceovers in a series of badly lit rooms

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I've been rewatching Law & Order: Criminal Intent (for some reason, several seasons require alternative procurement) for the first time in like ten years, and I'm almost surprised that I can still enjoy most of it most of the time.

I've noticed this time around that like every other cop they ever have to interact with that isn't a crossover character is some degree of dirty. And that they're mostly after affluent or otherwise powerful/connected psychopaths and sociopaths. The show's sympathetic to the rare criminals who warrant Major Crimes but aren't rich dirtbags.

Though Goren laying his hands on suspects--even when it's just to, like, uh, dance with them--and activating his hypnotic powers to turn lawyers completely silent and powerless as he leads their clients to emotional confessions really stands out to me now.

Goren and Lucifer basically have the same shtick, but Lucifer's ability is more realistic in the context of the show.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.