As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is no such thing as a moral or immoral [book] thread

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Authors don't owe the public anything

Selling books explicitly as book X of Y, to me, creates at very least a gray area.

Kamar on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I mean if he literally has a contract with his publisher to deliver a book that I must assume they already paid him for, he does in fact owe them something, if not the public per se

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It just seems like it's one thing to clarify that, it's another to say, about an author that people are invested in and who has a TV adaptation of his work coming, "I don't know if he's interested in writing anymore"

That seems like quite a thing to just say!

Hence the whole thing being a story.

Also the TV stuff got put on hold due to pandemic and Showtime having funding issues.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    What about

Ernest Cline I feel like he owes me something

Yeah, his lunch money.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Finished Slave Old Man, after taking a day or two in the middle because that was A Lot, in a very slim volume.

Choices now:
    A new (to me) translation of the Confessions
    A book of nonsense verse about physics told through the narration of a cartoon pirate
    A book about time
    The broken earth trilogy
    An anthology of poetry in endangered languages (I’ll probably just sit that one on my coffee table and dip in and out)

If you are in the mood for very much "A lot" then broken earth is great but is Octavia Butler on a bad day levels of bleak (or rather the first book is, I have not gained the will for the others yet, though they are on the list to get to).
    NK Jemisin can be rough in the inheritance trilogy, and I would describe that as kids fare compared to how hard the first book of broken earth goes.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The rest of Broken Earth is maybe a little more hopeful but things don't really ever get copacetic.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Broken Earth is a bleak story about real real characters in a fascinating setting. I loved it, but make sure to have something fun in the pipeline for when you're done.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm about a third of the way through The Stony Sky so I feel pretty comfortable saying that I liked the Inheritance Trilogy better than I like the Broken Earth unless she pulls off one hell of an ending.

I'll be surprised if Pat Rothfuss ever publishes another full length novel. He's talked endlessly about how he lovingly polished the Name of the Wind for years and years and years, never expecting it to get published, and I think that's the only reason it was good. I thought The Wise Man's Fear was kind of a mess and (as has been mentioned) left miles and miles of story for the last book and he seems like he's firmly settled into "personality" status rather than full time author. That probably sounds harsh and if it does it's because I'm disappointed but honestly good for him, if he can parlay his work into a career that doesn't require him to actually write anything else than he's pretty much living the dream.

I can't forgive him for that podcast series he did with Max Temkin though, what a self-indulgent load of smarmy nonsense that was.

Peen wrote: »
    I'm about a third of the way through The Stony Sky so I feel pretty comfortable saying that I liked the Inheritance Trilogy better than I like the Broken Earth unless she pulls off one hell of an ending.

I'll be surprised if Pat Rothfuss ever publishes another full length novel. He's talked endlessly about how he lovingly polished the Name of the Wind for years and years and years, never expecting it to get published, and I think that's the only reason it was good. I thought The Wise Man's Fear was kind of a mess and (as has been mentioned) left miles and miles of story for the last book and he seems like he's firmly settled into "personality" status rather than full time author. That probably sounds harsh and if it does it's because I'm disappointed but honestly good for him, if he can parlay his work into a career that doesn't require him to actually write anything else than he's pretty much living the dream.

I can't forgive him for that podcast series he did with Max Temkin though, what a self-indulgent load of smarmy nonsense that was.

So Kvothe is author insert confirmed. (I kid, I kid, I think people are reasonable here but lordy do some people have a stick up about those books being better than the really good fun that they are)

So Kvothe is author insert confirmed. (I kid, I kid, I think people are reasonable here but lordy do some people have a stick up about those books being better than the really good fun that they are)

My usual description is that I can't describe it because it will sound like the trashiest possible fan fiction bullshit but it comes together and is an enjoyable read.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I have finished trail of locusts.

Googling last chapter brought up alien gods.

Might try octavia butler again, hopefully finding something more pleasant.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular

I think that Rothfuss could have set up a spectacular unreliable narrator in Kvothe that other characters reveal to be completely full of shit later on, and maybe he would have!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't know if Kvothe is an author insert necessarily but Rothfuss as a person is definitely super proud of himself and how clever he believes himself to be. He wrote a kid's book about a girl and a monster with the twist that the girl is the monster, decent enough story, but I saw him read it and then discuss it at some PAX and he got real fuckin' smug when he revealed stuff like "look, see where the locks on this door are? It's to keep something in, you should have noticed that." Not the exact verbiage, obviously, this was years ago, but it was along those lines.

I'm at risk of this turning into a long, angry post about my multiple problems with him as a person instead of just an author so I'll cap it here.

I think that Rothfuss could have set up a spectacular unreliable narrator in Kvothe that other characters reveal to be completely full of shit later on, and maybe he would have!

That book sounds really hard to write tho so...

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    My personal theory is that yes, it would be an amazing series if it turned out that Kvothe is an unreliable narrator: it is such a good idea, that most of the fandom fully expects that to be the case.

The problem is, Rothfuss was actually writing it straight after all, and now he is terrified, because his original vision for Doors of Stone would turn out to be a massive disappointment.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I felt like I was taking crazy pills when I tried The Name of the Wind because I thought it was boring and tedious and all these people rave about it. I had to bail out when Kvothe arrived at wizard school and was just so gifted that he is immediately allowed to teach classes

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, awhile ago I asked for suggestions for non-right wing military sci fi stuff (I think that was the thing I was after) and I got a lot of helpful suggestions, many of which I followed up on, but for the life of me I can't find where I asked that originally and I can't find where I wrote down all the suggestions.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So, awhile ago I asked for suggestions for non-right wing military sci fi stuff (I think that was the thing I was after) and I got a lot of helpful suggestions, many of which I followed up on, but for the life of me I can't find where I asked that originally and I can't find where I wrote down all the suggestions.

My two would be the Old Mans War series by John Scalzi and The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Gone Away World and Gnomon would be two of my suggestions, also maybe Infinite Detail.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    All good choices!

The Vorkosigan Saga is technically all about the space military, but it leans more towards the space espionage and space politics side of things rather than open space conflict. Plus there is one sublimely hilarious Victorian space farce.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i recall The Forever War being good
    i also recall one very 1970s part where they go back to earth and it turns out everyone on earth is gay now. welcome to gay earth

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Chapters 2 and 3 from Rhythm of War are now here.

I see Sanderson does not waste time with reintroducing readers to the plot points that will be important to this book, by which I mean
    The Sibling
    Shallan's earliest memories
    and Ialai Sadeas

Also, Kaladin has a shonen rival now!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I read Old Man's War and was really put off by it

It felt like "boomers are awesome, actually" "greatest generation" propaganda to me

edited July 2020

It felt like "boomers are awesome, actually" "greatest generation" propaganda to me

Its very much not that, especially the follow up books. Though The first one is the most actiony book out of all of them, as thats what was super popular at the time when Scalzi wrote it.

webguy20 on

Yeah, it really isn't. Also Boomers and Greatest Generation are different things with vastly different experiences.

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I can see how it might come off that way but yeah, I didn't read it in that way and I haven't gotten into the sequels yet though I plan on it.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Good to hear, thanks

Jedoc wrote: »
    All good choices!

The Vorkosigan Saga is technically all about the space military, but it leans more towards the space espionage and space politics side of things rather than open space conflict. Plus there is one sublimely hilarious Victorian space farce.

Yes! Read this series! I read all of them and regret none of it.

Started with Cordelia's honor at 13 and reread it at 31 ish.

Holds up.

I can see how someone would read Old Man's War and get that impression on a first reading. He really buries a lot of the lede. Subsequent readings of that book, or reading any of the sequels, will quickly show you that the point of those books is a much more anti-establishment/anti-colonialism.

I don't want to expound because spoilers but even the first sequel, The Ghost Brigades, has a very different tone. I can put more in spoilers if folks who don't intend to read it are curious.

All good choices!

Holds up.

Fuck, yes Vorkosigan Saga. I just read this for the first time this year. It goes places! She started in the 80s and the latest book was published in 2018 I believe.

edited July 2020
    Also if you just wanna pick up SF that could be about anything, no stationary viewpoint, could be a bummer or a romance who knows?? grab some Adam Roberts
    He's never my favorite at anything but I like that he's unpredictable.

tynic on
    webguy20 wrote: »
    All good choices!

Holds up.

Fuck, yes Vorkosigan Saga. I just read this for the first time this year. It goes places! She started in the 80s and the latest book was published in 2018 I believe.

Either Gentleman Joe or the Audio book.

Get make sure to read the prequels. I read falling free, need to read the others.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I can not get in to The Collapsing Empire.

It is not helped by being atrociously narrated by Will Wheaton.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

My two would be the Old Mans War series by John Scalzi and The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

the forever war is one of the only war stories I like

fuck that book rules

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Catch-22 remains my all time favorite story about war. Not sci-fi tho.

edited July 2020
    My sci-fi brain is fucking dominated by golden and silver age authors from all over the spectrum, but I read most of them as a kid so I might have missed some atrocious politics and am hesitant to recommend much. That said, octavia Butler and Ursula LeGuin are always safe, and Clifford D Simak is usually ok.
    I remember really liking Lester Del Ray but I need to do a reread because right now I couldn’t tell you why.

tynic on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Chapters 2 and 3 from Rhythm of War are now here.

I see Sanderson does not waste time with reintroducing readers to the plot points that will be important to this book, by which I mean
    The Sibling
    Shallan's earliest memories
    and Ialai Sadeas

Also, Kaladin has a shonen rival now!

Small wider Cosmere spoilers
    The use of aluminum is a good callback to Oathbringer and, more directly, Mistborn.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I certainly didn't do the audiobook, but I read all three and liked it for decently paced, low-effort reading. It does have a bit too much of the villains winning at every intermediate plot turn just to create tension.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Quid wrote: »

I loved the book but I read the text version. I cannot imagine the inclusion of Wil Wheaton improving anything but he is one of the worst choices I can imagine for that book in particular.

This discussion has been closed.