As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    How do they make great sausage if they don't have thumbs? You need thumbs to properly seal the casings.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    How did we even get ‘oink’ in the language to start with
    What twee Victorian children’s author decided that a simple down to earth grunt was too earthy and licentious for polite company

“Oink” is pretty close if you snort while you say it

But then I suppose so is any other word

Did anyone else just make a really disturbingly accurate pig noise? No? Just me?

Okay then . . .

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    feral hog sausage is some seriously good stuff and if it weren't for covid I probably would've done my annual hunt with some friends this past month

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Germanized UK is a lot more fun, I feel like the anglicized German used a too narrow set of linguistic stems. UK place names are usually much wackier.

bill bryson was correct about how much fun it is just to look at any map of the UK

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That's very cute

One of the lesser things I would like to do with time travel is just visiting dogs and other domesticated animals throughout history

I just want to know what they looked like, y'know?

I've always been struck by the apparent cross cultural ubiquity of dog collars, you look at a four thousand year old statue of a dog and you may well see a regular degular dog collar on that dog

What else besides a collar you ask? I am not a scientist

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    That's very cute

One of the lesser things I would like to do with time travel is just visiting dogs and other domesticated animals throughout history

You could save all the breeds that were killed in the world wars!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I've always been struck by the apparent cross cultural ubiquity of dog collars, you look at a four thousand year old statue of a dog and you may well see a regular degular dog collar on that dog

What else besides a collar you ask? I am not a scientist

the buckle is bronze age tech we've been at this a while

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Oh the pig owners I've known use sooey as their pig calling word

Which I guess is potentially also an onomatopoetic pig sound off of a squeal

*whispers in arkansan*

woo pig sooey

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Sooey seems to relate to words such as "swine" and "sow" which reflect the original stem *su-

(The Latin name for the animal was also sus)

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    feral pig meat would make good stew, presumably

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    Boar makes great stew. So does bison, though I've only had bison once and its (appropriately) hard to find locally.

PSN: decatus90
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    That's very cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxlci1d2rOg

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's eerie how similar that is to how we treat dogs nearly 3 millennia later.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    1558620456-20190523.png

Modern dogs are a Victorian thing for the most part

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Meanwhile cats just showed up and said, "I live here now. I'll eat these mice and other pests destroying your grain, but this doesn't make us friends. You may pet me but only if I allow it."

Madican wrote: »
    Meanwhile cats just showed up and said, "I live here now. I'll eat these mice and other pests destroying your grain, but this doesn't make us friends. You may pet me but only if I allow it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYPJzQppANo

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    In hebrew, praying mantises are called solomon's camel

this fact was brought to you by the praying mantis that scared the ever loving shit out of me while I was washing dishes yesterday

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Praying mantises are fuckin' awesome. I had one on one of the 4x4 supports for my back awning like a week ago, so I went into my garage and found a cricket to give it.

Yeah I feed wild animals.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The more I look at it the more eh I feel BUT
    ... Nethersex is a goddamn stroke of genius

There's also Stuttgart turning into Studyard.

But generally there doesn't seem that much thought behind it. For example all the -kasters in Britain should probably be -burg, if Chester comes from Latin castra.

And related to the OP: German onomatopoeia are kinda weird in my limited experience comparing them to other languages. They often sound way more like words than the actual sound.

The French/German TV show Karambolage often had a section devoted to this. Fun little show
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/06/05/karambolage_the_best_kids_tv_show_you_probably_don_t_understand_.html

honovere on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Mantises are cool because when they catch another insect they will just eat the whole damn thing like a hotdog.

Petesalzl wrote: »
    snip

Hey heads up we arent allowed to post full comics

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That's specific to the webcomic thread. Anything goes elsewhere on the forum iirc.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    That's specific to the webcomic thread. Anything goes elsewhere on the forum iirc.

It was enacted specifically because some creators complained about it. I would assume its universal

You narc you narced on SMBC of all things of ALL things to narc on like narcin on somebody takin more aspirin than the bottle recommends

I did not narc I told somebody who's user name I dont recognize a rule they might not have known about!

Drawin attention! Big time signature on instruments!

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The difference between the webcomics thread and the rest of the forum is the daily posting. Eg. You can post a page of a novel and it's unlikely to ruffle any feathers. But if you posted a page a day of a novel it'd be different, your just copying the entire novel sa that point and it is probably crossing the line. So in the webcomics thread, instead of posting a page a day we post a thumbnail of a panel. But if someone posted a full page of a comic elsewhere it'd be fine because it's just a single page.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i saw a praying mantis nymph recently! lil thing was hanging out on my front door so i put my hand up and they hopped right into it and curiously inspected my hands and fingers while i carried them to the garden.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    i saw a praying mantis nymph recently! lil thing was hanging out on my front door so i put my hand up and they hopped right into it and curiously inspected my hands and fingers while i carried them to the garden.

I wish we had more bees, butterflies and praying mantises around here, but instead it's just mosquitoes and invasive species like Japanese beetles and stink bugs.

The weirdest (but most interesting) invasive species around here is what's locally known as the "Lazarus Lizard:"
    In 1951, 10-year-old George Rau Jr., step-son of Fred Lazarus III, came across European wall lizards scurrying across rocky slopes while on a family vacation to Lake Garda in northern Italy located about 30 miles east of Milan. George smuggled a few (6 to 10 depending on the reference source) through customs to release them at his family's home on Torrence Court in the suburb of Hyde Park just east of Cincinnati.

The climate in Milan is almost identical to Cincinnati and there are plenty of rocky habitats in southwest Ohio to accommodate the lizard's needs. The European wall lizards thrived and became so numerous that Torrence Court is still sometimes referred to as "Lizard Hill." The burgeoning Italian expats were locally renamed "Lazarus lizards" in misplaced recognition of their perceived patrons. Of course, they should have been named "George's Lizards."

source: https://bygl.osu.edu/node/585

honovere wrote:
    But generally there doesn't seem that much thought behind it. For example all the -kasters in Britain should probably be -burg, if Chester comes from Latin castra.

Regina castra would probably produce something like Rencester if it was in England and not Rainsbury

m!ttens wrote: »

I wish we had more bees, butterflies and praying mantises around here, but instead it's just mosquitoes and invasive species like Japanese beetles and stink bugs.

The weirdest (but most interesting) invasive species around here is what's locally known as the "Lazarus Lizard:"
    In 1951, 10-year-old George Rau Jr., step-son of Fred Lazarus III, came across European wall lizards scurrying across rocky slopes while on a family vacation to Lake Garda in northern Italy located about 30 miles east of Milan. George smuggled a few (6 to 10 depending on the reference source) through customs to release them at his family's home on Torrence Court in the suburb of Hyde Park just east of Cincinnati.

The climate in Milan is almost identical to Cincinnati and there are plenty of rocky habitats in southwest Ohio to accommodate the lizard's needs. The European wall lizards thrived and became so numerous that Torrence Court is still sometimes referred to as "Lizard Hill." The burgeoning Italian expats were locally renamed "Lazarus lizards" in misplaced recognition of their perceived patrons. Of course, they should have been named "George's Lizards."

Are they doing harm to the local ecosystem? I'm not sure the difference between "invasive" compared to just...now they live there.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Are they doing harm to the local ecosystem? I'm not sure the difference between "invasive" compared to just...now they live there.

I suppose they are more of an "introduced" rather than invasive species; if anything they probably just eat pest insects. Their camouflage is pretty good but it's fun to spot them with the toddler on our walks. There are a couple concrete retaining walls near a park by our house where you can sometimes find them sunning, especially during the summer months. I've rarely seen one get more than about 10 inches from nose to tail so they are pretty small little things.

Oh so about the same size as the lizards we get here. Supposedly we also have blue-tongue skinks native to this area but I've never seen one.

edited July 2020
    The Taichang Emperor of Ming died less than a month after becoming Emperor in 1620

His stepmother had given him "eight maidens" as a gift and he spent most of the month banging until he eventually began suffering from abdominal pain

He took a laxative but that laxative turned out to be too effective and the Emperor developed severe diarrhea

A minor court official who dabbled in apothecary gave the Emperor a "Red Pill" and the official was greatly praised for stopping the Emperor's diarrhea

But after taking a second pill, the Emperor died, and that official was banished to the border regions

Platy on
  • Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular

In the 19th century, a shipment of Italian stone arrived at Sheerness dockyard in the Isle of Sheppey, Kent. Along for the ride was a group of European yellow-tailed scorpions, which by 2013 had become a colony 10,000 - 15,000 in size. Normally found in North Africa and the Mediterranean, the colony in the UK is the northernmost population of scorpions known.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    2020 is a year with a leap second

that means that this is something that will actually happen

wY6K6Jb.gif