As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I love lemon curd, and I've got lemons, so I'll probably have that as a topping. :D I haven't bought strawberries or raspberries in a while, but it would be nice to add some colour..... apparently kiwis are really popular too?

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I received a pear jam in my csa box last week, I'm thinking I might use that as the topper?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So I made a small batch of Pavlova... except I completely missed the mark on level of mixing/whipping and, rather than fixing my issue, just had a brainfart and kinda pooled a big flat disc of runny-pudding consistency pavlova mix onto a baking sheet. It's been cooking for about an hour now. I wonder how it's gonna turn out.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    XmyUmu9h.jpg

Actually pretty well! Definitely had the crunchy exterior + fluffy interior thing going on, just... flat.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I put my pavlova in the oven about a half hour ago, hasn't deflated yet so here's hoping it keeps its shape.

All I can say is thank God for the Kitchenaid stand mixer, I would never be willing nor able to hit the extremely stiff peaks that it was able to create out of those egg whites and sugar.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Successfully pav'd

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Oh, snap, picadillo is comin’ up!

I’ma judge the shit out of all your picadillos.
    (Picadillo is impossible to ruin, you’ll all be fine.)

sarukun on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    sarukun wrote: »
    Oh, snap, picadillo is comin’ up!

I’ma judge the shit out of all your picadillos.
    (Picadillo is impossible to ruin, you’ll all be fine.)

Ooh. That sounds nice.

...and I just made some chili paste last night, so that's going to be a good excuse to use it. I love chili paste.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I absolutely would have skipped this week if I didn't have a kitchenaid.

F4YmFJVl.jpg

The whip process took way longer than the recipe suggested. I blame.myself for using cold eggs and for running the mixer too slow at first.

I eventually got that bright shiny crust which was great!

I popped them in the oven for 40min, I should have left them for another 5min because it was slightly gooey in the middle.

Overall an interesting dish, way too sweet for my tastes but the sugar/fruit combo works pretty well!

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Oooh, what lovely pavs <3 Great job!

@sarukun any recommended recipes for picadillo? Would love some tips/tricks/recommended ingredients!

signature.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Edit: whoops, that was meant for the general cooking thread. So, uh...nice pavlova, everyone!

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    0ysf6l6f17ph.jpg

tozlc4px4ict.jpg

Swiss meringue and then lemon curd with the yolks that were left over.

• Options
    This is the picadillo my grandmother used to make.

1. Make sofrito.
    -sauté onions and green peppers (may be omitted) in olive oil for 3-5 minutes
    -add diced/planed garlic, oregano, cumin; stir for 30seconds-a minute, enough to get the garlic and spices opening up
    2. Add ground beef, stir until cooked through
    3. Add green olives and capers, and as much juice as you care to.

Done, refrigerate it and eat it all week, if it lasts that long.

Picadillo at my house has always ever been “we need to eat in 10-15 minutes and would like to enjoy what we are eating”. The only real preparation required is defrosting the beef (optional but probably a good idea unless you want it to take a half hour and prefer evenly cooked beef), and making white long grain rice to serve as a bed for your beef.

I’m actually interested to see if there is a fancier version out there, like I said at our house it was a workhorse, especially since you could get like 6 pounds of ground beef at costco. We’d bag it up in one pound ziplock bags and, bam, the “fuck I forgot to take out the chicken” solution to dinner.

• Options
    Thank you for sharing, Sarukun :D I'm sure a lot of us need a real workhorse dish to add to our weekly regimen

And Numi that meringue is GORGEOUS

I tried piping my mini pavlovas but as usual I botched it up and it was horrrrribble. I feel like I need to take classes just on how to pipe stuff because I always end up with it overspilling and being a giant mess

Anyway, it looks fairly fancy with just being spooned

3tbx87h4u5rm.png

I also made a bigger (4 egg) one

ed38w69qj513.png

No toppings added just yet though!

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Picadillo recipes are up! I couldn't find any 'fancied up' versions, though using it as a filling for empanadas sounds plenty sophisticated to me :lol:

It was really interesting reading up on all the regional varieties! I am curious to taste how olives and raisins go together, as I don't believe I've ever had that before

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    30mJvP9l.jpg

I went with the traditional? version. It was a good combination of meaty and briny with a little sweetness. I was slightly disappointed while making it to realize this is almost exactly what I grew up eating as taco meat. Disappointed only because it was something so familiar, not because it was bad or anything.

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/rZIQt3N

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Picadillo recipes are up! I couldn't find any 'fancied up' versions, though using it as a filling for empanadas sounds plenty sophisticated to me :lol:

It was really interesting reading up on all the regional varieties! I am curious to taste how olives and raisins go together, as I don't believe I've ever had that before

It is more neutral than the one I posted, the sweet of the raisins balances out the sour of the olives and capers. It’s fine, but I like sour, so I basically never add them.

Edit: this recipe has like 2 dozen ingredients, including white wine and Worcestershire sauce! That’s easily the fanciest picadillo I’ve ever seen!

sarukun on
  • Options
    Oh that reminds me I swapped capers for pickled jalapenos. I highly recommend it.

I like to ART
  • Options
    I appreciate the "use anything and everything" nature of picadillo, looking at the recipes. It's always nice to have some recipes that you can make a variant of for whatever you've got in the house.

• Options
    Made picadillo using potatos, and threw in some of my chili paste, bell pepper, and a little cheese. Very much like this kinda recipe.

F48-C1049-29-A0-4-FAA-9276-83-A804473981.jpg

• Options
    I tend to forget that I’ve made picadillo with potatoes before. It completely changes the texture but has almost no impact on the taste.

• Options
    74pfj0y4te02.png
    Picadillo!

I went with the Cuban recipe from Serious Eats, and made some lime cilantro rice and some black beans to go with it.
    0eov1yqq00ip.png
    744irpojupn1.png

This is the first time I ever tried picadillo, and it turned out really tasty! There are a whole lot of flavors going on, but they all work together well.

Unfortunately, the beans turned out undercooked. Not sure what I did wrong, but this is only like the third thing I've tried to make in my Instant Pot. I just put the lid back on and am going to slow cook them until they learn to behave.

Looking forward to the leftovers, and I might try using it as filling for empanadas when the rice runs out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I...may have made picadillo nachos for dinner.

m6vedrwroclg.png

Well, totally worth it, off to food jail.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Concept: Picadillo with shell macaroni.

• Options
    I just made picadillo! Made the Cuban SE version. The raisins are nice little plump bursts of sweet in a very tangy vinegary sauce

I omitted the capers because it's surprisingly hard to find around here for some reason

I cooked the potatoes in the sauce with everything else, but as I had too many potatoes, I also just fried some up in a pan with some salt, by themselves, and in some ways I think that may be a better technique? Mixing them in afterwards. You'd get a bit of crispy crunch if you cook it just right. Cooking the potatoes in the dish is good too though, as I was able to time it so it was just the right doneness. I'll definitely make this again, and try out the other variants too. <3 Wish there were more dishes like this, with a lot of international variety! :D

kfklz0bdybbq.png

signature.png
  • Options
    Here was my attempt at Pavlova that didn't turn out as a flat brick and was actually decorated!

61V09S5h.jpg

A very solid and surprisingly calorie-light dessert!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I think I will try to make picadillo again this week, we need to use these potatoes and canned tomatoes.

Need to grab ground beef. Last weekend we made Japanese curry, corn, mushrooms, and rib fingers. My girlfriend is so happy, I love cooking and making nice things for her. She was sleeping on the couch while I cooked, it was so awesome that the food was ready when she woke up. I love cooking and I love this thread for giving me so many useful recipes and ideas.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i have this on my list this week.

i even bought the ingredients this time.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so i'm doing this tonight.

although i'm not going to add the potatoes, since i'm serving it with rice and that's just too much carbs for us.

Also, a thought on the Pavlovas, I didn't check the recipes, but you all didn't sweeten your whipped cream too much, did you? Because it's usually served down here with either very lightly or not at all sweetened cream. because the meringue is plenty sweet.

I wish it wasn't winter and humid and then I'd make some pav. I also wish that anybody else in my house would eat one. Maybe I'll make some forgotten cookies instead.

• Options

Picadillo!

I didn't add potatoes, but I did add in red beans and mushrooms. and I had some yellow bell pepper along with the green.
    I only had golden raisins, so used them and some dried cranberries.

I think I would add more raisins next time, and some more brine.

I served mine with a little bit of sour cream, rice, parsley, and some pepita.

• Options
    For those keeping score at home, picadillo is like the polar opposite of a Cuban sandwich.

You could change almost anything you want in picadillo and it feels fine calling it picadillo.

For me the mainstays are sofrito and ground beef but I’m almost positive there’s a ground chicken variant.

The anti-Cubano.

• Options
    I thought the brinyness was just right, hubby said the olives we're too prominent. I would have doubled the raisins, and it needed some but of heat.

But it was indeed very good. And fast.

• Options
    Challah recipes are up! I did a very, very quick round of learning but I'm sure I missed tons. Comments, corrections, tips, and alternative recipes are very much appreciated!

Also suggest other dishes, please! <3

signature.png
  • Options
    We made ribs last night so I decided to make corn meal challah as a side dish, which turns out to be a real thing!

LDVN5Wkl.jpg

Surprisingly easy to make, I wish I had let it proof longer...and spread the egg glaze better. But over all very delicious.

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oooh, fascinating! And the braid looks lovely. What recipe did you use?

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    I like to ART
  • Options
    My dough is going through the first proof right now

How many braid strands should I make? :D

signature.png
  • Options
    CHALLAH! HEAD CHALLAH!

Also proofing now. Instant yeast wasn't too bubbly when I mixed it, but like... it's instant yeast, it should be fine.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    i want to make Challah. it's a therapy for me.

but i also just bought a loaf of bread yesterday.

• Options
    The Tori Avey recipe was enough to make two medium loaves, so I did three strands AND six

And because I forgot how to braid the six near the end, I broke it off and made a small roll with the remaining too

signature.png